The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2020, 09:29 PM   #151
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Freak View Post
Probably because most people approach the watch hobby incorrectly. They buy the hype models in an incredibly short term to satisfy their desire then they feel empty because they bought those watches for the wrong reasons and never truly liked them.

Buy what you like and not what others tell you to like.

Stop buying Rolex because people are telling you to buy. There are plenty of other brands out there. Don’t follow the hype.

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 09:53 PM   #152
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

There are two main types of buyer. Those who got into and buy Rolex because of the hype and those who like certain models (that may not be the hyped ones) and often followed the brand enthusiastically well before the hype started.

I am part of the later and I feel the former group have brought unwanted attention to the brand. They are now more than ever seen as a pathetic and very mainstream status symbol and unfortunately a fashion cliché. This has definately put me off the brand. They were never a small scale manufacturer of exotic handmade watches - they don’t have that exclusivity but they were a practical and everyday luxury.

Then, like many other posters have said, there is the horrible customer experience. I will never grovel and beg a retailer to let me buy their product or buy things I don’t want to get one. I consider that to be about the most uncool, try-hard thing to do. It goes hand in hand with the desperation to follow the hype.

I realise that some people own them because they actually genuinely love that model but everytime I see a Daytona, Pepsi or Hulk I suspect the wearer of being a try-hard. They have picked the most obvious models. Do they actually really even like them or do they just care about having what everyone else seems to want?

The thing that first made Rolex cool was the rugged dependability and classic timeless looks. The Rolex design department now seems to have lost their way. It just seems like a cynical sales driven strategy to produce the next over hyped fashion watch.

So am I bored of the brand? No, but they are not the brand I loved previously. It’s not boredom, it’s a loss of interest based on the fact I no longer think as highly of them.
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:08 PM   #153
Rolxism
"TRF" Member

Noway Rolex are amazing. You must not be into watches, or your just mad because you can't afford one you would really like?
Rolxism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:10 PM   #154
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolxism View Post
Noway Rolex are amazing. You must not be into watches, or your just mad because you can't afford one you would really like?
Incredibly lame post
Marcjvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:16 PM   #155
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolxism View Post

“No way, Rolex is* amazing. You must not be into watches, or you’re* just mad because you can’t afford the* one you would really like?”

If you’re going to be a JO at least be a grammatically correct JO. Either way, you’re a JO though so move along
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:35 PM   #156
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
To my knowledge, many watches brands focus on doing the watch and forget the bracelet. No taper, no elegance, no adjustable clasp, to me Rolex is like Apple.

Boring because it's airtight and perfect. It doesn't have quirks because it knows how to do thing, and doesn't try funny stuff.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:41 PM   #157
JRidden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 - Turquoise
Patek Philipp = Rolls Royce
Audemar Piguet = Ferrari
Vacheron Constantin = Porsche
Rolex = Mercedez
Omega = Volkswagen

Like the AK47 in the watch world, the Rolex is a tough tool, very well known, ubiquitous, and deadly sexy in the right hands ;)

Rolex does eventually fall into a majority category where you may not feel very unique so I can understand where you are coming from, but to each his own
JRidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:54 PM   #158
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRidden View Post
Patek Philipp = Rolls Royce
Audemar Piguet = Ferrari
Vacheron Constantin = Porsche
Rolex = Mercedez
Omega = Volkswagen

Like the AK47 in the watch world, the Rolex is a tough tool, very well known, ubiquitous, and deadly sexy in the right hands ;)

Rolex does eventually fall into a majority category where you may not feel very unique so I can understand where you are coming from, but to each his own
I would argue Omega is more BMW than Volkswagen
Marcjvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:55 PM   #159
eleven11prints
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last:ALS Datograph
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
I was reading and article on the top 55 watch brands by Luxe Digital today. Rolex is #1. I spent a couple hours looking at options for my next purchase.

We all know that Rolex brings so many aspects to the luxury watch experience that their ranking is deserved. Rolex forums are always #1 in participation.

However, even the most loyal Rolex owners have a couple other brands in their collection.

Here’s Luxe’s list of the top 55 by rank.

1. Rolex
2. Patek Philippe
3. Audemars Piguet
4. A.Lange & Söhne
5. Omega
6. Blancpain
7. IWC Schaffhausen
8. Jaeger-LeCoultre
9. Chopard
10. Piaget
11. Cartier
12. Vacheron Constantin
13. Montblanc
14. Ulysse Nardin
15. Panerai
16. Girard-Perregaux
17. Hublot
18. Bulgari
19. NOMOS Glashütte
20. Vincero
21. Breitling
22. Bremont
23. TAG Heuer
24. Baume & Mercier
25. Rado
26. Maurice Lacroix
27. Roger Dubuis
28. F.P.Journe
29. Tiffany & Co.
30. Louis Vuitton
31. Bamford
32. Zenith
33. Bell & Ross
34. Arnold & Son
35. Tudor
36. Alpina
37. Seiko
38. Jaquet Droz
39. Laurent Ferrier
40. Hamilton
41. Longines
42.Maurice de Mauriac
43. Parmigiani Fleurier
44. Gucci
45. Weiss
46. Armani
47. Tissot
48. Van Cleef & Arpels
49.Junghans
50. Bulova
51. Bovet Fleurier
52. Oris
53. Armin Strom
54. Ressence
55. Carl F. Bucherer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be an old list, because there's no Richard Mille. This list can't be created by watch enthusiasts either because Journe is 28th and Hublot is in the top 20.
eleven11prints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 11:00 PM   #160
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11prints View Post
Must be an old list, because there's no Richard Mille. This list can't be created by watch enthusiasts either because Journe is 28th and Hublot is in the top 20.
Also, I give zero credence to a list that doesn't even acknowledge Grand Seiko.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 11:17 PM   #161
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Not bored of the brand per se, but I've lost interest in trying to acquire anything new...There are other models in the catalogue I would like to acquire and add to my collection, but after playing AD games for the last 18-24 months, I think I'd like a break. I'm not willing to pay grey prices, so any future acquisitions are indefinitely on hold.

In the meantime, I'm happy with what I have and I enjoy my current Rolex watches, which sit in a varied collection with a few other brands and get worn in rotation.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 11:21 PM   #162
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Also, I give zero credence to a list that doesn't even acknowledge Grand Seiko.
The list has Vincero in it.
The credibility is zero, negative even perhaps.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 11:25 PM   #163
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I'm strongly considering A Lange Saxonia annual calendar or simply moon phase. Not because I'm bored of Rolex but because I'm obsessed with the movement finishing.
Old 19 October 2020, 11:50 PM   #164
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Not bored. Frustrated. Frustrated to the point where my attitude is "you can keep them" and will now focus on other great watch brands like Omega, IWC, Breitling and Zenith.

I'm just tired of the overhype. Great watches but there are MANY great watches out there that are cheaper and readily available at an AD.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:01 AM   #165
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

Glashutte Original is an example of a brand that makes watches with bracelets as good as if not better than Rolex and have a wide ranging catalogue. The finish on the movements is excellent and the prices and availability also good. I think they are an enthusiasts watch.
Old 20 October 2020, 12:38 AM   #166
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlatitude View Post
I realise that some people own them because they actually genuinely love that model but everytime I see a Daytona, Pepsi or Hulk I suspect the wearer of being a try-hard. They have picked the most obvious models. Do they actually really even like them or do they just care about having what everyone else seems to want?
This sounds like jealousy or insecurity.

Did it occur to you that the people you see wearing sought after models like them as much (or more) than you do?
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:46 AM   #167
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Yes. I have enjoyed Tudor and Omega just as much as Rolex and the hype train is getting old.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:55 AM   #168
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure how old the list is above, but I am not even sure age is the issue. It's just off, ranking wise. I would like to see the criteria used for this survey list.

As far as bored of Rolex, I am not really bored. Just tired of the AD/Grey games. Happy with the Rolex watches I have for now; am on the list at an AD or two, but not expecting any calls, really.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:02 AM   #169
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
And make no mistake: There are MANY who wear Rolex simply because it's a fashion statement and they really don't know about the movement or details of it.

I see it with many women, some that I know. They could care less about the details. They just know the watch is a fashion statement, a head turner.

I kid with my brother about it all the time: I tell him that Rolex is turning into a "chick watch". LOL! Look at all the Italian "B" list & "C" list female celebrities. Seems like they all have a Daytona or a Sub (Hulk or Kermit). It's funny really. Makes me not want to own one.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:26 AM   #170
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
very bored with Rolex. thats why im going after other cool brands that get my "horlogerie" juices flowing. Such as:

https://aquastar.ch/
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:30 AM   #171
flytier
Banned

Feeling The Same Thing

Rolex needs to introduce something new and refreshing, not just the same models with new movements and/or different colored dials. I get it that they are money making machine based on what they have, but something new and different would be nice for a change.
flytier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:31 AM   #172
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

When I was first getting into this hobby from a research standpoint, I gravitated more towards the 5-digit models and learning about their history, etc. (which, in turn led to learning more about 4-digit predecessors before 6-digit successors). There are certainly a few of the current models that I'm a big fan of and would like to purchase, but there are quite a few of the most popular models (Hulk, K/Cermit, current GMTs, super case Subs, etc.) that just don't interest me much, so I am yet to get caught up in the lusting after the hot pieces or only paying attention to them. When I finally waded into the hobby as more than just a spectator, it was the 5-digit pieces that I started with while I wait for the potential of a couple of 6-digit references...if those come to fruition- great. Otherwise, I've got some cool pieces that interest me and I enjoy wearing.

Even without getting completely consumed in the Batman/Hulk/insert hot SS nicknamed piece here, I am already starting to want to learn more about other brands and their watcehs- both current and historical, so I can still relate to the "burn out"...I just think it helps to not go all-in on the 5 watches that "everyone" wants in order for the hobby to be sustainable in any way.
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:52 AM   #173
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
I have two Rolex's, a DJ41 and the new Submariner. I would like to buy more but at this moment I am unsure which way to go, the Submariner is just superb and I am loving wearing it as it is so comfortable. Maybe it is time to look at other brands just for a bit of variety in the collection.

Bored, no, interested in alternatives, definitely.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 02:03 AM   #174
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytier View Post
Rolex needs to introduce something new and refreshing, not just the same models with new movements and/or different colored dials. I get it that they are money making machine based on what they have, but something new and different would be nice for a change.

Doesn’t ever work well for Rolex when they do. Take the YMII with its excellent movement. Rolex fans say they want change but will find fault and nitpick a new design apart. The Rolex design is what it is and is trapped always tweaking +50 year old designs. In a way Rolex is terrified of really doing anything really new or innovative. Rolex watches hold their value because they all look the same for decades. That’s their curse and their blessing, depending on why you are buying a mechanical watch.
As much crap as the Rolex kool-Aid drinkers like to talk smack about Omega, Omega and others are light years more advanced in design and pushing the limits with build materials, movements, and innovation in general. The company that actually takes risks may have some failures but they also will be a lot more interesting.

Rolex is like eating Cornflakes for 50 years. Cornflakes are very predictable and comforting to some but if you want steak and eggs, you will never find it in the Cornflake box.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 02:35 AM   #175
Fred48
Banned

[
The thing that first made Rolex cool was the rugged dependability and classic timeless looks. The Rolex design department now seems to have lost their way. It just seems like a cynical sales driven strategy to produce the next over hyped fashion watch.

+1
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 02:35 AM   #176
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrankenstein View Post
This sounds like jealousy or insecurity.

Did it occur to you that the people you see wearing sought after models like them as much (or more) than you do?
Yes, read the first half of the sentence you quoted :)
Old 20 October 2020, 02:40 AM   #177
Fred48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGingerwood View Post
Yes. I have enjoyed Tudor and Omega just as much as Rolex and the hype train is getting old.
Yes, these are becoming the real tool watches.
Honestly, who wants to use a difficult to replace $12000 watch as a tool?!
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 02:43 AM   #178
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I'm strongly considering A Lange Saxonia annual calendar or simply moon phase. Not because I'm bored of Rolex but because I'm obsessed with the movement finishing.
These guys are just about the best at it, they really should invent reversible lugs so you can wear the watch both ways up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 02:48 AM   #179
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Doesn’t ever work well for Rolex when they do. Take the YMII with its excellent movement. Rolex fans say they want change but will find fault and nitpick a new design apart. The Rolex design is what it is and is trapped always tweaking +50 year old designs. In a way Rolex is terrified of really doing anything really new or innovative. Rolex watches hold their value because they all look the same for decades. That’s their curse and their blessing, depending on why you are buying a mechanical watch.
As much crap as the Rolex kool-Aid drinkers like to talk smack about Omega, Omega and others are light years more advanced in design and pushing the limits with build materials, movements, and innovation in general. The company that actually takes risks may have some failures but they also will be a lot more interesting.

Rolex is like eating Cornflakes for 50 years. Cornflakes are very predictable and comforting to some but if you want steak and eggs, you will never find it in the Cornflake box.
Indeed it is very difficult to introduce a truly different aesthetic style to the well known design language, the Cellini is an example, as are AP's Code and ReMaster lines that are very different to the iconic RO look, Lange have tried with the Odysseus to create something far more sporty and it got a pretty mixed reception, but with a limited release and the global move towards sports this will still do well for them.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 02:51 AM   #180
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
“No way, Rolex is* amazing. You must not be into watches, or you’re* just mad because you can’t afford the* one you would really like?”

If you’re going to be a JO at least be a grammatically correct JO. Either way, you’re a JO though so move along
Ha, I was just about to do that!

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote