The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 14 April 2007, 10:45 AM   #1
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
PAM Reviews? Durability, movement, etc??

Thinking of buying a Panarai Model 50. 40mm black face with SS Bracelet.

Any opinions/comments on the reliability, ruggedness, value, and the inner movement would be appreciated.

Price is around $5600-$5900 US here in Malaysia. Good price?

Thanks.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 11:03 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

Any opinions/comments on the reliability, ruggedness, value, and the inner movement would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The problem right now, Chad....is that everyone's in such a ROLEX mood, that all other brands have been put into the background!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 11:14 AM   #3
puffnmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The problem right now, Chad....is that everyone's in such a ROLEX mood, that all other brands have been put into the background!!
Hey now, IMHO Panerai's are not background watches. They carry their own aura and mystique...
Just for that wise-crack I'm putting on my SS black dial Radiomir RIGHT NOW. Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 11:16 AM   #4
puffnmo

And pl. don't ask for pics right now - just call me Mr. Notech.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 12:51 PM   #5
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks.
I am unable to comment on the specific model you mention but I know many people like their Panerai. As to reliability and ruggedness, since most of them have ETA movements I don't think there is a problem in that area. Price? I am not up on that. Value? There are many people who have commented that they didn't think the movement was finished at high enough levels to justify the price. But the price is more a result of high demand and styling than it is going to be about the finish of the movement. At least this would be true for the average buyer. From what I can see, Panerai makes a durable and stylish watch with excellent luminosity. The finishing of the movement does not directly have any effect on performance or functionality. Another indication about the watch is the fact that owners seem to love them and wear them often. Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your purchase.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 06:13 AM   #6
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
i would go with a 44mm if its within your taste threshold. be warned that once you go 44 you will never go back to 40mm. for 5900 will buy u a really nice pam

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 07:11 AM   #7
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
I am unable to comment on the specific model you mention but I know many people like their Panerai. As to reliability and ruggedness, since most of them have ETA movements I don't think there is a problem in that area. Price? I am not up on that. Value? There are many people who have commented that they didn't think the movement was finished at high enough levels to justify the price. But the price is more a result of high demand and styling than it is going to be about the finish of the movement. At least this would be true for the average buyer. From what I can see, Panerai makes a durable and stylish watch with excellent luminosity. The finishing of the movement does not directly have any effect on performance or functionality. Another indication about the watch is the fact that owners seem to love them and wear them often. Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your purchase.
The same could be said for Rolex.....definitely not "highly finished" movements.
Old 15 April 2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
The same could be said for Rolex.....definitely not "highly finished" movements.
Which goes to show that 99.9% of Rolex watch buyers are not interested in the movement (esp. since they can't see it anyway).

Let's face it. How many people buy a watch for the quality of finish of the movement? My guess is that the numbers will be in a portion of that .1%.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 08:24 AM   #9
amanda
Banned

Quote:

Thanks.
Hi... you'd be best to go to the TZ Panerai forum or paneristi.com and do a few searches on the PAM50 to find out more information. As dj said above you really should look at a 44mm model if you can like a 112, 111, 000 or 005 Logo... they are more popular, lots of strap choices (and swaps with other paneristis) easier to flip if you decide to flip it, 44mm is more historically correct and honestly, it wears better than the 40mm IMHO. You'll pay less for a 44mm model like I've mentioned above too.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 09:20 AM   #10
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Which goes to show that 99.9% of Rolex watch buyers are not interested in the movement (esp. since they can't see it anyway).

Let's face it. How many people buy a watch for the quality of finish of the movement? My guess is that the numbers will be in a portion of that .1%.
Well Ed, if you think the reason a highly finished movement is prized by some just because it is highly finished, then I don't think you understand the issue.

To me, paying attention to the movement finish is sign of craftmanship and pride in your work, regardless if the watch is equipped with a display back or not. Movements were "highly finished" long before display backs became popular. But your comment about the average Rolex buyer is right on IMO.
Old 15 April 2007, 02:07 PM   #11
leopardprey
Banned

Thanks for the info so far. No, the 44mm models are way to big and do not feel right on the wrist for me. The 40mm is just right. Heck, I think my 40mm Exp II is too big!
Old 15 April 2007, 02:45 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Thanks for the info so far. No, the 44mm models are way to big and do not feel right on the wrist for me. The 40mm is just right. Heck, I think my 40mm Exp II is too big!
Make that "my 39 mm Exp-II", Chad!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 03:34 PM   #13
Han

Chad,

I believe my PAM 48 is comparable to the PAM 50. Both are 40 mm, black dial, with date and small second at the 9:00 position. The difference is mine comes with brown croc strap.

The weight and thickness (thicker than a SD) can be offputting to some, but it feels sweet on my wrist. That crown protector one of many features that makes Panerai so identifiable. I love the way Panerai solved the (non) cyclop problem but inverting the crystal to magnify the date. The lume is so awesome that it would still be bright when I wake up to check the time in the morning.
As far as movement goes, my PAM 48 is +1 second a day. Finished (read: pretty) or not, I don't think you can ask much better than that.

Pricewise, I bought it for US$4,415.00 last year while on vacation from a Panerai AD in Maui, during one of those "I got to have it" moment, so i did not get any discount other than an extra strap. I think they saw my eyes were bulging and I was grinning from ear to ear, I was lucky they did not jack up the price.

Lastly, apart from wearing comfort and wrist size considerations, I think the 40 mm is a much more exclusive watch than the more common 44 mm.

Anyway good luck with your PAM 50. It sure is a great watch for me. Please post pics after you acquire one (BTW, do you plan on selling your Exp II for the PAM 50?).

Best,
Han
Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2007, 03:30 AM   #14
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han View Post
Chad,

I think the 40 mm is a much more exclusive watch than the more common 44 mm.
I agree, I hardly ever see a 40mm Pam except in every AD's case!

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2007, 06:37 AM   #15
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post

Old 16 April 2007, 10:35 AM   #16
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post
Thats true... my AD, one of only 2 in all of Aus that do Panerai... had the 40mm 241 in store for months and months, in fact they had 2 at one point... the watch sat amongst everything else that came and went around it. Mind you the 241 is a ltd run of only 800 and yet they still didnt sell. I nearly bought one but went for 44mm in the end.... thankgod I did as I dont think I'd have been happy with it.

Unless you really have to have a new one. I'd be looking for a slightly used 40mm model, you'll be saving 1000s of $ on a used one. And trust me, after you've had a new one for a week, it'll have a few marks on it and be just like that slightly used one was for the much cheaper price!
Old 16 April 2007, 02:42 PM   #17
leopardprey
Banned

Went to go look at the Black Face PAM 50 with SS Bracelet again yesterday. That watch is looking more and more better. Very rugged looking. May be going to go way over and bust my budget and buy!

Good for me, as that is what I am looking for. Unless you have a 9 inch wrist, the 44s are way to big looking IMHO. "As they use to say in the PI, You a Diver? Big watch, little D***" LOL Just Kidding!

Think it is just a fad with the really big watches. Seems many in Asia now are going for the really big watches, including the ladies! 42mm + watches are being worn by a lot of girls, but I do not think the size looks right. Had a good show on TV the other day, about how Watches are now becoming more of a fashion accessory than a time keeping insturment.
Old 16 April 2007, 07:49 PM   #18
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Went to go look at the Black Face PAM 50 with SS Bracelet again yesterday. That watch is looking more and more better. Very rugged looking. May be going to go way over and bust my budget and buy!

Good for me, as that is what I am looking for. Unless you have a 9 inch wrist, the 44s are way to big looking IMHO. "As they use to say in the PI, You a Diver? Big watch, little D***" LOL Just Kidding!

Think it is just a fad with the really big watches. Seems many in Asia now are going for the really big watches, including the ladies! 42mm + watches are being worn by a lot of girls, but I do not think the size looks right. Had a good show on TV the other day, about how Watches are now becoming more of a fashion accessory than a time keeping insturment.

to each his own, but the historic 44mm case of panerai has been around for a while and i dont think its gonna go out of style anytime soon. have you tried on a 44mm yet?

Old 16 April 2007, 08:11 PM   #19
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemmtee View Post
to each his own, but the historic 44mm case of panerai has been around for a while and i dont think its gonna go out of style anytime soon. have you tried on a 44mm yet?
DJ it doesnt seem leopardprey gets the 'panerai passion' - a Panerai is for life not just Christmas

Ooohh SIHH is on, the new Panerai's are about to be revealed!
Old 16 April 2007, 08:26 PM   #20
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
DJ it doesnt seem leopardprey gets the 'panerai passion' - a Panerai is for life not just Christmas

Ooohh SIHH is on, the new Panerai's are about to be revealed!
well, for me when i started looking at panerai i didnt even know where to start because there were so many different models. I too was scared about the 44mm size on my 6.50" wrists so i was stuck on the pam 48. Then i started researching more and more about them and went to an ad where i tried on a 104 44mm and it didnt seem too bad at all, what really caught my attention was the weight difference from a rolex to an auto pam! it a whole different world.

CHAD- heres some friendly advice:

get on a pam board read around, ask a million questions before you spend 5-6k on a watch. i promise you, once you have more knowledge about history of the watch and the history of the company you will not be dissatisfied with your choice what ever that may be. but if i were you (IMO) i would go with a base model 44mm first because all your rollies have dates dials.

Just recommendations:

111 or 177 is a great starter(manual wind, historic models)

if u wanna go automatic

104, 164, 88GMT

220 is an auto on a bracelet and its right at the 6k mark

i have a full model listing for panerai if you want it, pm me it goes through all the models, msrp, specs.

mike

Old 16 April 2007, 08:37 PM   #21
walds11
"TRF" Member

What Mike said :)

Quote:
well, for me when i started looking at panerai i didnt even know where to start because there were so many different models. I too was scared about the 44mm size on my 6.50" wrists so i was stuck on the pam 48. Then i started researching more and more about them and went to an ad where i tried on a 104 44mm and it didnt seem too bad at all, what really caught my attention was the weight difference from a rolex to an auto pam! it a whole different world.

CHAD- heres some friendly advice:

get on a pam board read around, ask a million questions before you spend 5-6k on a watch. i promise you, once you have more knowledge about history of the watch and the history of the company you will not be dissatisfied with your choice what ever that may be. but if i were you (IMO) i would go with a base model 44mm first because all your rollies have dates dials.

Just recommendations:

111 or 177 is a great starter(manual wind, historic models)

if u wanna go automatic

104, 164, 88GMT

220 is an auto on a bracelet and its right at the 6k mark

i have a full model listing for panerai if you want it, pm me it goes through all the models, msrp, specs.

mike
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2007, 10:50 PM   #22
leopardprey
Banned

Well, guys again appreciate all the advice. Been doing quite a bit of research for awhile. Seems PAMs are a good brand.

Yes, tried on several of the the 44mm PAMs. Just do not do it for me. Too Large. I have a little over 7.5 inch wrist, but am not fond of bigger watches as is the current fad. Sorry guys (and gal). 40mm for me. Looks great on the wrist.

Yes, Amanda, a PAM is for life. If I get one that is why I like the 40mm. Will be forever. Don't care if need to sell or not, as the 40mm size stays in style. As for me, really like the look of the PAM 50. The seconds hand at 9 and the date. (must have a seconds hand feature and date on watch). Use the seconds hand very often.

i have a full model listing for panerai if you want it, pm me it goes through all the models, msrp, specs Thanks for the offer Mike, but actually already got all that info and catalogs from the dealer, including the new Ferrarri model catalog (which do not appeal to me).

So instead of trying to convince me to buy a 44mm instead of 40mm, how about more responses to original question of durablitly, reliablity, OPIII movement, etc.. Thanks Hans for the post about your expereinces. Anyone take their PAMs to the limits? Climbing, diving, extreme weather, caving, etc...?

So what are some of your reviews specifically on the PAM 0050 model?
Old 17 April 2007, 12:37 PM   #23
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:

So instead of trying to convince me to buy a 44mm instead of 40mm, how about more responses to original question of durablitly, reliablity, OPIII movement, etc.. Thanks Hans for the post about your expereinces. Anyone take their PAMs to the limits? Climbing, diving, extreme weather, caving, etc...?

Never owned a 50, my wife owns a 49 and it is plenty accurate and reliable.

As to them being able to take hard knocks, google Mike Horn. It will take more damage than your arm can handle.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2007, 01:17 PM   #24
leopardprey
Banned

Thanks Dman. TZ recommended google Mike Horn as well. Good testament to the OP III movement.
I don't plan on having the PAM 50, if I buy, for just a collection, it will be put through some very tough environments for work and travel. Will use for some possible hunting expeditions in North Canada this fall, travel/caving/Trekking through Asia/Himalayas and possible work in remote areas of China doing surveys. So watch needs to have the functions I need and hold up.

You wife has a PAM 49!! Man, that must look big on her wrist! Well, I guess, they sell a lot of PAM 40mm and 44mm to women here in Asia, latest fad for women to have really big watches. Actually looks nice on most of them that I have seen! To me 40mm is as big as I will go on my wrist. Funny thing is after trying on the 40mm PAM 50 at the store for awhile, my Rolex Sub feels light and looks small! The PAM 50, even though bigger and thicker than the Sub, actually fits closer to the wrist the way the case is designed. Very comfortable!

I do think the 44mm and 47mm PAMs look better than the 40mm if worn, as original, around the outside of a thick diving suit or cold weather suit. The larger size in that environment would be appreciated. I used to wear a Dry Suit for work, and we would strap our compasses and watches on the outside. A Larger watch would work better. But, I do not plan on doing any cold weather water work/swimming/diving again! I pretty much now stick to warmer climates and wear watches on the naked arm, or if in somewhat colder environments, just wear underneath jacket/sweaters.
Old 17 April 2007, 01:29 PM   #25
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

pm sent. :)

Old 17 April 2007, 11:23 PM   #26
amanda
Banned

Quote:

Go to a Panerai only forum - this is a Rolex forum and so far you've got pretty much a reply from all the Panerai fans... you've probably got all the info you can get here.

Now a PAM 49, 48, 50 and 51 will all be the same movement wise, so ask about all models when finding out about 'how' people have used them.

I know a musician -drummer in fact, that was wearing a 241 Power Reserve 40mm model whilst playing a gig 5 days a week.. he never had an issue with it. And that would be a high impact and rough activity.

Remember tho usually, on all the Panerai forums... most of the guys wear 44mm watches, their wives/girlfriends generally have the 40mm PAMs on so you might have trouble getting the info you are looking for. I'm sure some of them have worn their watches to the gym etc
Old 18 April 2007, 12:22 PM   #27
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Thanks Dman. TZ recommended google Mike Horn as well. Good testament to the OP III movement.
I don't plan on having the PAM 50, if I buy, for just a collection, it will be put through some very tough environments for work and travel. Will use for some possible hunting expeditions in North Canada this fall, travel/caving/Trekking through Asia/Himalayas and possible work in remote areas of China doing surveys. So watch needs to have the functions I need and hold up.

You wife has a PAM 49!! Man, that must look big on her wrist! Well, I guess, they sell a lot of PAM 40mm and 44mm to women here in Asia, latest fad for women to have really big watches. Actually looks nice on most of them that I have seen! To me 40mm is as big as I will go on my wrist. Funny thing is after trying on the 40mm PAM 50 at the store for awhile, my Rolex Sub feels light and looks small! The PAM 50, even though bigger and thicker than the Sub, actually fits closer to the wrist the way the case is designed. Very comfortable!

I do think the 44mm and 47mm PAMs look better than the 40mm if worn, as original, around the outside of a thick diving suit or cold weather suit. The larger size in that environment would be appreciated. I used to wear a Dry Suit for work, and we would strap our compasses and watches on the outside. A Larger watch would work better. But, I do not plan on doing any cold weather water work/swimming/diving again! I pretty much now stick to warmer climates and wear watches on the naked arm, or if in somewhat colder environments, just wear underneath jacket/sweaters.
The 40mm Panerai have something going for them that the 44mm don't. The 40's don't have "automatic" written on the dial, although that will change this year. I love the cleaner dial of the 40mm autos. It is a great watch that will wear plenty big on the wrist.

The size is not the be all with these watches, you will love the size and weight and it will be a nice change up from your Rolex.

The movement will be totally fine with hard duty, the case will scratch like any polished watch, but like any polished watch it will clean up fairly easy too.

You have picked a very nice model, the only thing I would tell you is to wear it with Pride and PASSION.

If I can be of any help feel free to email or PM me anytime.

And yes it is quite big on Andie's wrist, but she won't wear her TT Tudor with diamonds or TAG anymore, only Panerai with me making about a strap change a week for her.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 12:58 PM   #28
leopardprey
Banned

The white dial and pink strap, definately transformed the PAM into a ladies watch! Looks nice on her!

Did try on a 42mm PAM Radiomir GMT yesterday. Beautiful watch. Very flat fitting case, with see through back, and calfskin strap.

Still looking at the 40mm PAM, but now considering the 48 instead of the 50, as since alrady have several SS bracelet watch, and no leather straps, would like one witha leather strap. THe leather strap for the PAMs seem like some of the most rugged and best looking straps I have seen. Dark brown Croc. Also the leather strap 48 would be abit cheaper and weigh less on the arm.

Thanks for the info.
Old 18 April 2007, 04:32 PM   #29
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

48 all the way!

Old 18 April 2007, 05:59 PM   #30
walds11
"TRF" Member

Mike, are you sure you don't want to sell the 233 to me? I'll give you teh old list price and pay for shipping :)

Quote:
48 all the way!
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote