The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 June 2019, 10:53 PM   #1
latchford9
"TRF" Member

how often should you bother or visit your AD

Ive been to a few ADs in order to find a reasonable person / retailer to purchase from. I have to say in some ive been dismissed even one where I have purchase history was not pleasant. How often should you pop in to keep the relationship warm once you register your interest in certain pieces?
latchford9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 10:58 PM   #2
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Being top of mind these days can be important. I don’t think you want to pop in just to hassle them for hot watches. But instead just utilize their services as a part of your life. I don’t think it’s as much about the quantity of the visits but instead the quality.
Old 17 June 2019, 10:58 PM   #3
Wingslogo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
Sometimes I feel like a fool going in and glancing and there never being nothing new.

However one day at our local AD in Murfreesboro TN I popped in and they had a 1 month old submariner someone traded in!

They had it priced $250 under msrp- well under grey market price as well. I picked it up and have loved it ever since!

So goes to show to have no shame- go as often as you would like. I think sometimes you can just get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wingslogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by latchford9 View Post
Ive been to a few ADs in order to find a reasonable person / retailer to purchase from. I have to say in some ive been dismissed even one where I have purchase history was not pleasant. How often should you pop in to keep the relationship warm once you register your interest in certain pieces?
We stop in about twice a month. They don't mind, in fact they encourage it. Never know when we might buy something is what they think. At times they will great us with a watch still in the coffin. Usually we'll pass. Sometimes we won't and buy. They won't call when Subs and sometimes when Daytonas come in but wait for preferred customers to come in. If the timing is right its yours. My wife gets her rings cleaned, sometimes we get our watches cleaned. Get to handle some nice watches. They don't mind at all.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 11:03 PM   #5
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Best not to start playing this game; only go when you have a genuine reason. You can’t rely on them to do you favours. They’re a business.
Given where you live, a ‘grey’ dealer like Mark Worthington would cost more, but you’d have the watch. Life is short. And ingratiating yourself with Rolex watch dealers shouldn’t be part of it. In truth, it’s a bit demeaning; you’re not pals......
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 11:03 PM   #6
tanask211
"TRF" Member

I see the relationship with your AD is rather built on your past sales afterall he has monthly target to achieve. If you have good buying power then its made you into his preferred client list.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 11:05 PM   #7
Tonks
"TRF" Member

I dropped in pretty regularly. It was actually fun to look at different watches with my sales rep, even if he knew they weren’t what I was after. I also texted him to chat watches, usually when I spotted something cool in the wild. He started texting me when he got cool new stock in the store. So my view is to let them know you appreciate watches in general, and what they do. The advice to develop a relationship is right on the money. Try to find a sales person you genuinely enjoy spending time with.
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 11:06 PM   #8
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I have a really good relationship with my AD, and it is just from being a normal guy. I bought my first Rolex from them and struck up a conversation with the owners about life, cars, passions, etc. They are about a 40 minute drive so whenever I found myself in town I would stop by and say hello, try some stuff on, and just had a good time.

I would say it depends on the AD and your relationship. You don't want to be there every other day (may seem weird) and you want to have enough face time where they call you if they get something in that they think you may like. I would recommend just going at least once a month and saying hi, maybe bring in a coffee or two and talk. It sucks that sometimes we have to play these games but I really think that they pay off when a good relationship happens.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 11:40 PM   #9
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Once or twice a month is adequate, in my opinion. And it should be relaxed, not always a hunt - that would get annoying for them, I'm sure. It should be to say hello and maintain the relationship being built. A third time would need to have a particular reason, such as picking up a new watch.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:03 AM   #10
latchford9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
Best not to start playing this game; only go when you have a genuine reason. You can’t rely on them to do you favours. They’re a business.
Given where you live, a ‘grey’ dealer like Mark Worthington would cost more, but you’d have the watch. Life is short. And ingratiating yourself with Rolex watch dealers shouldn’t be part of it. In truth, it’s a bit demeaning; you’re not pals......
I agree to a certain extent but a grey market watch or two would equate to 15k over list compared to the normal retail sales price. In an increasing world of its not what you know its who you know I guess we have all got to start somewhere?
Old 18 June 2019, 12:07 AM   #11
kbutler1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one
I pop in about once a month now as it’s close by to my house.
kbutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:10 AM   #12
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
Good question OP - I actually asked the guys in the store (and the answer may well differ from one AD to the next) but they told me with a smile not to bother them - they wont forget me. They didn't forget either and I got the call in due course
Halitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:13 AM   #13
Edward leef
"TRF" Member

Well it makes me think i got lucky. I visited the AD in January 2019, i expressed my wish to buy a Submariner Date. I got the call half of April, the watch was there to pick up.

This is my first watch and my only visits at the AD.
Edward leef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:43 AM   #14
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
Good question OP - I actually asked the guys in the store (and the answer may well differ from one AD to the next) but they told me with a smile not to bother them - they wont forget me. They didn't forget either and I got the call in due course
Maybe it’s your username?
Old 18 June 2019, 01:26 AM   #15
latchford9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Maybe it’s your username?
Old 18 June 2019, 01:36 AM   #16
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Never! Buy from TS and saved on watch and tax, YM, OP39.
Old 18 June 2019, 01:45 AM   #17
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
The ones i visit regularly I’m usually shopping with my wife and just killing time. I don’t take any of them seriously. We both know I’ll never spend a dime there and they’ll never sell me a SS. But it’s still fun busting their chops and showing them picks of my BLRO and Daytonas.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:40 AM   #18
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Watch: '66 Submariner
Never...spending thousands and being treated like I'm bothering them is not for me.
westsiderkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:10 AM   #19
christian1221
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
My closest AD is about 250 miles away, so a pop in doesn’t happen too often. They have had me on a list for the SD43 and BLNR since I bought the Hulk in December 2018. The Hulk was my first purchase with them. With that said, I dropped in a week ago while I was in town and talked watches with my salesman, he’s a heck of a nice guy and I wanted to show off the Hulk and let him know how much I’m loving it.

Tried on a WG blue dial Daytona, and had him also put me on the list for the WG OF with steel dial. Got a text from him this weekend letting me know they just received a shipment with a SD 43 that he could let me have! I feel that the pop in and just letting him know I’m still a buyer if a piece comes in certainly helped. I hope to post an incoming here shortly, going to have them ship it to me later this week.

christian1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:20 AM   #20
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchford9 View Post
4 x a day every day
Old 18 June 2019, 05:38 AM   #21
Talbel
"TRF" Member

It’s never planned. I stop in when I have a specific reason to be there. I may stop by to talk watches in general if he isn’t busy and when I’m already in the mall where they are located, but that’s rare. He texts me when something interesting comes in or I may text him if I am looking for something specific. There is no grand plan. For me, anything more than that would come across as insincere. I like the guy, we talk watches of all kinds every once in a while and that’s it. I took the BLRO, but declined both Daytona’s and a CHNR.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:55 PM   #22
Oliver Mendl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II: 16570
Same for me. When I have a specific reason/ need to buy something or need to have a watch serviced. If you showed them a picture of me, they wouldn't know who I am. I like it that way.

And they probably like it that way, too - because I'm not falling for/ taking part in their game of buy this to get dibs on that ...

So I spare us the wasted time.

Kind regards,
Oliver
Old 18 June 2019, 05:55 PM   #23
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Weekly, buy jewellery you never will wear and bring presents..... or call a Trusted Seller
Old 18 June 2019, 08:21 PM   #24
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
It would cost me less buying grey than if I had to waste my time going past the AD weekly, fortnightly or monthly just to be potentially considered for a hot model.
Old 18 June 2019, 09:50 PM   #25
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Out of site, out of mind. This is true unless you are spending a lot of money with them and if that was the case you would have any watch you want. I stop in at least once a week and speak to my AD. I also buy other items from them such as pens, watch straps and jewelry for my wife. I have gotten into Tudor, Seiko, Hamilton and play around with Panerai. All good reasons to be at the top of the list.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 11:55 PM   #26
whuang29
"TRF" Member

About once a week I guess

whuang29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 12:03 AM   #27
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
I visit my AD about once every fortnight.
I have a very good relationship with them.
We chat about watches and everything else (Even including that painful subject - Brexit).

I have over the years bought more Rolex watches from them than I care to admit to .. (My wife might read this and then Im in trouble).

They have been known to phone me to ask if I want a particular model when a delivery came in even though its a sought after model and i have not asked for one. They know if I but one of the sought after models I am not going to flip it.

Its a matter of getting on well with the assistant in your SD. Building both a customer and personal relationship, preferably with the manager is key.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 12:23 AM   #28
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I stop in once every few months and will shoot my AD a text message to follow up on timepieces I want to acquire. My AD is a great guy no games, no bs, no up selling things or bundling things I don't want, and no false promises just a complete straight shooter. He is a true watch aficionado and will even pull out timepieces from the back to show me so I can learn more about the brand which is mainly Patek now days.

I usually talk to him a good hour about timepieces and the current watch environment. He knows which watches I have in my collection and recommends ones I should add and even told me he has me in mind for other timepieces I don't know about. I got my 5711,5167a, and daytona C from him and hoping for a 5712 so he has come through for me.

It's funny first thing he does when I walk in to speak with him is looking at my wrist to see which timepiece Im wearing that day.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 12:38 AM   #29
T01
"TRF" Member

I have an excellent relationship with my AD and I'm not just saying that. When the Ceramic Daytona was released I had both the white and black in short order after they started appearing at ADs. Same with Pepsi. I've done well into the six figures of transactions with them in the 5 years I've been dealing with them. I'm putting all this in the message to give context. The watches simply aren't coming in like they used to. Frankly, the situation has only become more dire. My AD is one of the top performing in the US and Rolex has sent them inserts to put in their display cases so they don't look so baron. I'm personal friends with the owner's son and they just can't get watches. Sure, there are always going to be stories of someone getting lucky however I truly believe at this point that the supply simply isn't there. They've always been upfront and honest with me in the past so I'm going to believe what they tell me. Just my two cents all.

Long story short I've just resorted to telling my AD what I'm interested in and do not check in like I used to because I know when the watch comes I'll get the call. Pestering them incessantly will only annoy. I always believe in building a relationship which means you may have to earn your stripes and buy some of the less desirable models or other items before you get in their "inner-circle" per say.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 01:24 AM   #30
MinMay
Banned

how often should you bother or visit your AD

There is no right or wrong.

Be creative and you’ll be remembered and not forgotten.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote