The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 January 2021, 03:25 PM   #1
MoreThanaWatch
"TRF" Member

Yet Another Antiques Roadshow Find

Just providing a news article link that may be of interest.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tv/...ames-bond/amp/
MoreThanaWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 04:06 PM   #2
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, black
Great story, and the watch looks great! Bracelet is in better condition than mine, and mine is only two years old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StillTrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 10:56 PM   #3
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Some quick psychoanalysis. We TRFers love these stories because:

-It involves someone using his Rolex as a tool or in an adventure (Navy diver)
-A son becoming emotional over his father's watch
-A watch gaining great value (heirloom)

Those stories help us rationalize our emotional purchases (even though today's Rolexes hardly resemble the ones of 1960s).
Old 30 January 2021, 11:29 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I didn’t watch the video but read the article.

Does the son plan on keeping the watch? To me, the “value” would be having my dads watch to wear and remember him by. No way I’d ever sell it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:14 AM   #5
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
Some quick psychoanalysis. We TRFers love these stories because:

-It involves someone using his Rolex as a tool or in an adventure (Navy diver)
-A son becoming emotional over his father's watch
-A watch gaining great value (heirloom)

Those stories help us rationalize our emotional purchases (even though today's Rolexes hardly resemble the ones of 1960s).
I agree with your analysis, but given these are the pieces people love so much, it’s hard to understand the flipping and trading, and shifting around. The stories people seem to value the most are the folks with a single watch that built meaning of years of being worn. These were not people obsessing over mark 1,2 75 dials, ceramic vs aluminum, etc, they strapped the watch on and it was a faithful companion over a lifetime. That’s meaning. If one is going to constantly get the latest and greatest might as well get an Apple Watch.

I would argue those stories are most appealing here because most here can’t do that, they get to sucked into what’s new and hot and want that new piece because the instabook or status/hype reasons. People rather jump to buying a vintage piece with someone’s else’s legacy and meaning because they lack the patience to build their own. Not judging that approach, i like new watches too, but I have two that I have had for many, many years and those will never go anywhere and still get the bulk of my wrist time and will not simply move them to the safe because they ate sentimental but will wear them because they are sentimental.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:29 AM   #6
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I agree with your analysis, but given these are the pieces people love so much, it’s hard to understand the flipping and trading, and shifting around. The stories people seem to value the most are the folks with a single watch that built meaning of years of being worn. These were not people obsessing over mark 1,2 75 dials, ceramic vs aluminum, etc, they strapped the watch on and it was a faithful companion over a lifetime. That’s meaning. If one is going to constantly get the latest and greatest might as well get an Apple Watch.

I would argue those stories are most appealing here because most here can’t do that, they get to sucked into what’s new and hot and want that new piece because the instabook or status/hype reasons. People rather jump to buying a vintage piece with someone’s else’s legacy and meaning because they lack the patience to build their own. Not judging that approach, i like new watches too, but I have two that I have had for many, many years and those will never go anywhere and still get the bulk of my wrist time and will not simply move them to the safe because they ate sentimental but will wear them because they are sentimental.
I agree! Good analysis!

One of the unintended consequences of VIP lists, which require a fair amount of spending history on jewelry at Rolex ADs, is that Rolex’s future clientele won’t be able to tell such a story.
Old 31 January 2021, 12:36 AM   #7
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
I agree! Good analysis!

One of the unintended consequences of VIP lists, which require a fair amount of spending history on jewelry at Rolex ADs, is that Rolex’s future clientele won’t be able to tell such a story.

No for most of them, they ate just watches to be collected and taken out for the insta pic and worn on occasion as not to get a scratch and ruin the “investment”

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:40 AM   #8
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I didn’t watch the video but read the article.

Does the son plan on keeping the watch? To me, the “value” would be having my dads watch to wear and remember him by. No way I’d ever sell it.
I think a lot of dads would also tell their sons “sell it without giving it a 2nd thought, use the money to look after your family”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:42 AM   #9
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
I watched this episode the evening it was aired. Really enjoyed it.

To me, personally- that’s the pinnacle of ownership. Daily wearer through all adventure.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:42 AM   #10
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I watched the video.
Old 31 January 2021, 12:44 AM   #11
Yadi_Collector
"TRF" Member

Man, I love these stories!
Thanks for sharing.
Yadi_Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 01:16 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I think a lot of dads would also tell their sons “sell it without giving it a 2nd thought, use the money to look after your family”
Yes of course that’s always possible. Not for me, but YMMV
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 01:17 AM   #13
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post

I like this approach. I however bought the watch I wanted grey, as they only made Swiss only dials for a short period. I am making the watch my own though and hope one day my kids will fondly remember dad and his watch.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 01:26 AM   #14
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I like this approach. I however bought the watch I wanted grey, as they only made Swiss only dials for a short period. I am making the watch my own though and hope one day my kids will fondly remember dad and his watch.

This is my hope also!