The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2019, 05:27 AM   #1
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Rolex Purchase from Mornier Jewelers in Bordeaux | Won’t Respond!

I purchased an OP 39mm from this supposedly reputable AD in Bordeaux in April this year. They gave me my tax refund form from a company called DETAXE, not Global Blue, as is often the case, and I had the form processed by customs at the airport before my flight home.

Fast forward 4 months later, and I have still not received my not insignificant tax refund. I have made multiple inquiries directly to the AD via the contact option on their website, with no response.

I have also contacted DETAXE three times now, with zero response. I’ve also contacted American Express and they are unable to provide any resolution, surprisingly.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Thanks in advance for your help guys. Getting pretty frustrated by the whole experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 05:33 AM   #2
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Buy a really nice bottle of champagne, drink and celebrate your Rolex and trip to France, come to terms with the fact you paid European tax on it, and enjoy your new piece without any ill feelings or regrets. I make this suggestion only so you relax and not stress any more about something that doesn't seem like you'll have any control over, and isn't worth continuing to agonize about.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 05:36 AM   #3
JodyHighroller
Banned

What was the timeline they quoted you and method of return?

It took me six months to get a refund for purchases while in South Africa. I was told the tax office likes to take their time for due diligence because the high corruption. They don’t offer cash refunds there for obvious reasons.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 05:38 AM   #4
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Yes, this is very common. Not just in your France but any EU country. That's why it's always better to take a hit with the tax free return amount by taking cash at the airport, rather than getting more back by the credit card refund route.

I part time in summer doing tours for tourists to the UK and your story is oh so common.
Old 23 July 2019, 05:41 AM   #5
Mack640dGC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
Buy a really nice bottle of champagne, drink and celebrate your Rolex and trip to France, come to terms with the fact you paid European tax on it, and enjoy your new piece without any ill feelings or regrets. I make this suggestion only so you relax and not stress any more about something that doesn't seem like you'll have any control over, and isn't worth continuing to agonize about.
This ☝🏼
Mack640dGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 05:50 AM   #6
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I've had good and bad experiences with VAT refund. My rule of thumb is never count on it. Good luck.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 06:14 AM   #7
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I am still waiting on a $100 refund from Italy from a month ago.
Don’t expect it anymore.
The other money From other countries was given at airport. This one from Italy had to be dropped in the mailbox at airport.
Old 23 July 2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
It took me a few months to get my tax refund back from some Chanel purchases in Paris. That was through premiertaxfree.com . Be persistent with your contact. I'd even try their website and go through the help feature or call.
Old 23 July 2019, 07:38 AM   #9
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Not worth stressing over. It will take a bit more time to get the refund back and to be honest it is not really surprising. When asking for money back from any government authority, it usually takes quite a bit of time.

Also, why would this have anything to do with American Express? They are a credit/charge card company. Although they are full service with when it comes to consumer protection, they certainly don't insure against purchases you willing make in order to have another third party provide you a rebate.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:53 AM   #10
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
The best experience I had was in Australia. I bought a watch from the Omega boutique in Sydney, stopped at the tax refund desk, waited in line for < 5 minutes, and they refunded directly to my Amex. That was service!
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:56 PM   #11
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Nothing to do with the AD, your contract is with the refund processor. I don’t think the delay is unusual but I’d keep on them until you get your refund.

As others have said, taking cash at the airport is always the best route. But it costs you.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 12:33 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree with taking VAT back at airport and not trusting dealer / other network. ALWAYS GO TO AIRPORT to file refund.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 01:29 AM   #13
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately this does happen. I had one refund take 9 months to receive and now as a rule of thumb I'd rather take the hit and get the refund directly from the office at the airport then wait for more by mail/cc.

Realize your situation is different so in your case I would stick with it but don't overstress it, you still have a nice watch so enjoy in good health.
Old 27 July 2019, 05:54 PM   #14
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post

Appreciate the advice, but the reason I bought there was the tax savings... Otherwise I would have ordered it from my dealer at home. I was purchasing the watch for a friend, trying to help him out and save him some money.

Old 27 July 2019, 05:55 PM   #15
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Not worth stressing over. It will take a bit more time to get the refund back and to be honest it is not really surprising. When asking for money back from any government authority, it usually takes quite a bit of time.

Also, why would this have anything to do with American Express? They are a credit/charge card company. Although they are full service with when it comes to consumer protection, they certainly don't insure against purchases you willing make in order to have another third party provide you a rebate.

I was hoping that they might have some sort of contact for the tax authority or way to help address the issue. They are known for their service and consumer protection, why would it be unreasonable to ask them for advice?

Old 27 July 2019, 05:56 PM   #16
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Agree with taking VAT back at airport and not trusting dealer / other network. ALWAYS GO TO AIRPORT to file refund.

Good advice. Will definitely do so in the future...

Old 27 July 2019, 05:57 PM   #17
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan81 View Post
The best experience I had was in Australia. I bought a watch from the Omega boutique in Sydney, stopped at the tax refund desk, waited in line for < 5 minutes, and they refunded directly to my Amex. That was service!

That’s incredible. Glad to hear you had a positive experience.

Old 27 July 2019, 05:58 PM   #18
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
What was the timeline they quoted you and method of return?

It took me six months to get a refund for purchases while in South Africa. I was told the tax office likes to take their time for due diligence because the high corruption. They don’t offer cash refunds there for obvious reasons.

That’s a long time. I was told I should receive it within 2 months, and no longer than 3.

Funny to me how every retailer aggressively incentivizes you to purchase with the VAT refund, then it’s difficult to receive it...

Old 30 July 2019, 06:56 AM   #19
function12
"TRF" Member

See if they have a facebook page or twitter account and blast them there.

My refund from Mexico took a little over 6 months.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 08:26 AM   #20
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by function12 View Post
See if they have a facebook page or twitter account and blast them there.

My refund from Mexico took a little over 6 months.

Appreciate the advice. I was able to get someone on the phone, and they are looking into the delay. Hopefully they can get it processed.