The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2019, 12:54 PM   #91
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Disgruntled with the search for my first and received a call from Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
These sob story threads are really pitiful at best. Grown men who moan, rant, groan and complain they can't buy a stainless steel model Rolex watch. For what it's worth, grow up and put on your big boy pants! The market is what it is. Either pony up the extra $$ to a grey watch dealer who has a watch for sale, or move on to another brand, or just wait for the market to change, ha! As been said by others here the "entitlement attitude" is really immature and just plain silly. These are watches people. Not food, water, gasoline or a roof over your head.

Post of the day Jaime, couldn’t agree more!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:40 PM   #92
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I just hope they don't saturate the market. Last thing we want is a diluted brand, similar to Michael Kors or Coach...or worse, Panerai!
I don’t think you have much to worry about.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:06 PM   #93
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Blowing smoke up @OP's rear-end.

This is just pure nonsense. So let's see the mandatory guideline they released to the ADs that they can no longer bundle non-Rolex items or other Rolex watches.

@OP: Let us know when that SS model comes through the door with your name on it. It'll be another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I could be wrong, but isn't a majority of the buying pool looking for a Datejust? That's the impression I get from talking to my SA. He said in the last couple years they have seen a HUGE increase in people walking in asking for SS professional models, but the bread and butter is the DJ and sales have been really strong the last couple of years.
That's because they go into a rolex shop not exactly knowing the situation and then they see a 41mm DJ with white face instead or with grey and diamonds and they buy it. Those are the walk-ins that ADs LOVE because the customer is determined to leave with a watch. Came for an SS Sub, walked out with an SS DJ41mm. Great conversion.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:10 PM   #94
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
My local Bed Bridge sales person told me to buy jewelry if I want to purchase a SS Rolex anytime soon.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:26 PM   #95
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssunnylee24 View Post
My local Bed Bridge sales person told me to buy jewelry if I want to purchase a SS Rolex anytime soon.
Ask him when, not if, they lose their Rolex license do you get to return the jewelry for a full refund?

SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:31 PM   #96
AlexMachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Maybe there're some truth in this. I heard Rolex manufacturing are working triple shifts 7 days a week making more DJ/TT/PM which you saw at your AD display.
My AD, told his Rolex sertified watchmaker visit Rolex quite often for training and this is also what the watchmaker said. Thay they will produce more, but they are working at 100 per cent right now.
AlexMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:43 PM   #97
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

I'm going to contact BBB now to see about getting a $950 ticket to the Super Bowl and $49.99 bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:49 PM   #98
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Ask him when, not if, they lose their Rolex license do you get to return the jewelry for a full refund?

Dealers dont get busted.

Unless you wire up for the hidden camera, the sales will always state something like: Those hot stainless steel models are reserved for our existing and loyal clientele. They've purchased jewellery from here to the number of five figures and above. If you fancy buying some jewellery we may be able to allocate an [INSERT DESIRED SS MODEL] for you, but it will cost around $15,000 to begin with. Care to see what we have in stock for diamonds?

There's nothing wrong with this bundle and sentence. An AD can choose who to sell to and can give access to who they want to give access to. They won't be losing their license. No Rolex guidelines mention this. Rolex wants their AD to meet the numbers they've done in the past, but this time, instead of sending a ton of SS models they have reversed it and now forcing customers to buy less desired models.
Old 23 July 2019, 02:58 PM   #99
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Wow, wonderful thread! It's like watching James McAvoy characters from Glass! Keep it up guys & gals!
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:58 PM   #100
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
post of the day jaime, couldn’t agree more!
yup! 100%
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:31 PM   #101
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU1026 View Post
Here is the copy and paste of their email which was sent on the 15th and letter saying the same thing arrived a couple days after and the call was today on the 22nd of July. (my info removed)

July 15, 2019

Dear Mr.

We appreciate your reaching out to the Better Business Bureau about your desire to purchase a Rolex timepiece to commemorate your upcoming nuptials.

We are aware that the current demand for our watches outpaces our production capacity and we understand your disappointment at being unable to obtain certain Rolex models. However, our first priority remains our commitment to the highest quality and we cannot compromise this commitment to meet the demands of the market.

All Official Rolex Jewelers are independent entities and therefore we cannot interfere with their retail policies other than to prohibit them from selling our watches above the suggested retail price and to require that they comply with all applicable laws when selling our watches.

Rolex does not make direct sales to consumers, but only sells through its Official Rolex Jewelers. We can only recommend that you keep working with your local Official Rolex Jewelers. We hope that one of them will be able to help you secure a model you desire or suggest alternative options before your wedding.

Again, we thank you very much for your interest and remain,

With best regards,

Client Relations Department
In other words “oh do go away Sir.......”
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:32 PM   #102
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssunnylee24 View Post
As do many ADs.... makes sense (unless it’s a piece sitting in their window)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:52 PM   #103
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

This is hilarious
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:54 PM   #104
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

OP missed the boat and now complaining. Why does the AD owe you anything over and above every other non existing customer who wants the hottest piece that’s selling double MSRP
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:59 PM   #105
Bruin Watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaCartier
Thanks for sharing with the community. Even if some of the comments from Rolex are a stretch, it's nice to see someone at least reached out to the OP. Only time will tell...
Bruin Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:40 PM   #106
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
A couple of years from now, when we hit our next economic downturn, when Instagram shines its light at a different luxury good, and when cases are again full, there'll be a short piece on a program like 60 Minutes or CBS Sunday Morning talking about this 5 year run of speculation and scarcity.
The difference is that watches are a closed market, unlike fashion which is very competitive, and even cars, there are just not really any other options for men to display their wealth/status/taste at the mid-lux level so unless a new form of jewellery emerges here then SM will still highlight watches, or SM needs to get banned. Both highly unlikely and thus Rolex and watches will monopolise this £5-10K trinket space.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:46 PM   #107
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
OP missed the boat and now complaining. Why does the AD owe you anything over and above every other non existing customer who wants the hottest piece that’s selling double MSRP

To be fair, OP’s complaint is that MSRP is misleading when bundling and/or relationship building are taken into account because the buyer is ultimately and effectively paying above MSRP.

As far as rants go, his is rather mild but I too am quite sceptical as to who he wrote to, and who actually called him back. Called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:52 PM   #108
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
These sob story threads are really pitiful at best. Grown men who moan, rant, groan and complain they can't buy a stainless steel model Rolex watch. For what it's worth, grow up and put on your big boy pants! The market is what it is. Either pony up the extra $$ to a grey watch dealer who has a watch for sale, or move on to another brand, or just wait for the market to change, ha! As been said by others here the "entitlement attitude" is really immature and just plain silly. These are watches people. Not food, water, gasoline or a roof over your head.
Market sets the price and you have to pay to play as always. It is no different to people in the old days saving up/borrowing 2 or 3 grand and then moaning about not being able to buy a £5k Rolex, which applies to 99% of the world population. Just because those who now have the 5k find they have to pay 8k to actually get the watch is the same difference in price exclusivity terms, otherwise Rolex then loses its luxury status if they can be bought on credit and flipped for an instant profit, they just become a common good, available to huge numbers of people.
Old 23 July 2019, 09:01 PM   #109
Rosex
"TRF" Member

Rolex just called me and told me the exact opposite, they cutting supply and don't give a shit about "customers" that only want the hot models, they also asked me where were all the buyers when the Hulk was sitting in the windows up for sale at -25%.
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:05 PM   #110
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosex View Post
Rolex just called me and told me the exact opposite, they cutting supply and don't give a shit about "customers" that only want the hot models, they also asked me where were all the buyers when the Hulk was sitting in the windows up for sale at -25%.

The good times when grey dealers had great deals and we were seeking them out for the best prices and skipping the AD. Now we skip the AD to find out that the watches are at a premium, thus the greys must be destroying the market.

Our short-term memory is... Amazing.
Old 23 July 2019, 09:12 PM   #111
Rosex
"TRF" Member

after 24 years I would hate to still be on the front line call centre!
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:24 PM   #112
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
OP , Please let us know when your factory fresh Rolex arrives.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:37 PM   #113
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Holy crap I can't believe you contacted the BBB about this. It's just a watch. If it's ruining your life this badly, maybe you should find a different hobby.
This x 10000. Can you imagine the guy or gal at the BBB in their coffee stained cubicle smelling of microwave popcorn reading about the struggles of obtaining a stainless Daytona egg and steak timer? The horror Rolex has put us all through.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:04 PM   #114
cervie599
Banned

per Hulk...Yep!

I have spoken to a couple of ADs as of late and, from what I can infer, they are screening buyers and are at mercy of the allocations. Simple as that. I made a joke about a phone ringing in the background, "must be calling for pepsi's and daytona's, huh?" " Her reply was "you have no idea, and you are probably right" The incentive is there to find a watch at any expense and frothy markets just bolster this demand. After "talking watches" for some time I was able to check out a Blue/Black GMT on jubilee in the coffin, from the back, awaiting an owner to pickup, and then we talked a bit more. There wont be an air-drop of sports models any time soon but there is something valuable about having customers who want the watch for their own wear. I can say this about anything really. Many people on this forum work hard for their prized possessions and that vibe gets lost in this mania. The ADs I met , now know me, respect me and we can talk watches. I do not expect a watch from them but you never know. Unfortunately, depending on the model, you either have to order and wait (SS and pay $5k+ extra grey) or get anything else on the grey market(lightly evade taxes and save 15%). Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosex View Post
cervie599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:17 PM   #115
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub, 16710 P
Just wait....secondary values through the floor then we'll all really be complaining.

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk
Wrist King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:26 PM   #116
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
Post of the day Jaime, couldn’t agree more!
Agree 100%. AD's are going to take care of the customers that were with them when times were not so crazy. Those that have bought jewelry and other watch brands and built a relationship over time. They aren't going to bend over backwards for a transactional sale or someone they don't know or don't have a history with. Why would they? If it were me I would take care of those that have been with me through both the good and bad times. Nothing wrong with suggesting that you buy jewelry or some other "not hot" item to start down the relationship path. Just because you have the money doesn't automatically entitle you to what ever you want. I am still able to get discounts on DJs and most two tone models, but I have also been going to the same AD for 7 years and have bought a variety of non-Rolex items. And no, I am not what I would consider a high dollar spender. Just loyal and I get the same in return.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:53 PM   #117
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The difference is that watches are a closed market, unlike fashion which is very competitive, and even cars, there are just not really any other options for men to display their wealth/status/taste at the mid-lux level so unless a new form of jewellery emerges here then SM will still highlight watches, or SM needs to get banned. Both highly unlikely and thus Rolex and watches will monopolise this £5-10K trinket space.
I think you are exactly right, but do you feel the scarcity will be present in a recession, which may be looming?

As a side, what is SM?
ROlesorusLEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 12:04 AM   #118
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU1026 View Post
- Rolex is aware and as of three months ago started a customer relations email to track issue with customers and their dealer network
They indeed are, and thanks for the reminder and sent my contact at Rolex another e-mail about a Florida chain store.

Quote:
Rolex is making more watches but it takes a while to ramp up. He did not disclose specific figures
Yes, they are producing more products.

Quote:
Not allowing AD's to leverage a watch with other watches or none Rolex items to be able to purchase a watch was just added to their AD guild lines

As we know, many Rolex dealers are asking for multiple items purchased and certain minimums before they will allow you to buy model XYZ. My local chain store here in Florida appears to adhere to these 'rules' versus Rolex's rules. Perhaps a Mayors customer must spend $100k to then be eligible to purchase certain models.

Quote:
Lastly, he stressed to wait to buy from a Rolex AD instead of the grey market/secondary market. To "be patient and there will be relief" but wait to buy from a authorized dealer.
Many of us have been waiting well over a year, for example, for the 126710BLRO. Have done quite a bit of business with Mayors over the years. Called Mayors at UTC Mall seconds after it was announced, and called back every now and then to say hi and ask. Due to ever-rotating employees at Mayors UTC Mall and what appears to be very slow at getting inventory to their customers, there's a good sales guy at Mayors Tampa that knows me well and we're still waiting on manager to arrange for the 126710BLRO after a year+ of waiting.

Again, e-mailed Rolex this morning so let's see how responsive Rolex / Mayors are at this point.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 12:57 AM   #119
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
They indeed are, and thanks for the reminder and sent my contact at Rolex another e-mail about a Florida chain store.

Yes, they are producing more products.

As we know, many Rolex dealers are asking for multiple items purchased and certain minimums before they will allow you to buy model XYZ. My local chain store here in Florida appears to adhere to these 'rules' versus Rolex's rules. Perhaps a Mayors customer must spend $100k to then be eligible to purcahse certain models.

Many of us have been waiting well over a year, for example, for the 126710BLRO. Have done quite a bit of business with Mayors over the years. Called Mayors at UTC Mall seconds after it was announced, and called back every now and then to say hi and ask. Due to ever-rotating employees at Mayors UTC Mall and what appears to be very slow at getting inventory to their customers, there's a good sales guy at Mayors Tampa that knows me well and we're still waiting on manager to arrange for the 126710BLRO after a year+ of waiting.

Again, e-mailed Rolex this morning so let's see how responsive Rolex / Mayors are at this point.
So far, only this has been the most relevant, non-judgemental, non-critical, mature and to the point response of all!
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 04:46 AM   #120
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
I think you are exactly right, but do you feel the scarcity will be present in a recession, which may be looming?

As a side, what is SM?
SM is social media, and I'd like to say the normal laws of supply and demand should prevail in a recession, but the watch market as I said is quite outside the norm, and lacking in efficiency and liquidity and effectively is an oligopoly so it is hard to tell just how much of an effect a downturn will have, it will have to be pretty severe and sustained to have a significant one on big greys.