The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 July 2019, 12:53 AM   #1
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Moving to Boston

Hello everyone,

My son has been accepted to the Masters in Biomedical sciences at Tuft's and will be at the Tufts medical Center for at least a year.
Looking for advice about Boston in General and places to live in particular and places to avoid.
From what I have found so far, Back Bay, Beacon Hill and Bay Village/Boston commons are decent areas and to avoid Roxbury/Jackson square.
My son and I are going to be there this weekend for apartment hunting.
I also heard that The T is pretty good and no need for a car unless you live in the suburbs.
Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance.
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 12:59 AM   #2
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Lived here for almost 2 years.

No need for a car if you live in the city.

Beacon Hill, Back Bay, South End, North End, Seaport are all good areas - depends solely on which one you like best.
Old 16 July 2019, 01:07 AM   #3
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Lived here for almost 2 years.

No need for a car if you live in the city.

Beacon Hill, Back Bay, South End, North End, Seaport are all good areas - depends solely on which one you like best.
Thank you!

Any opinion on Bay village?
Old 16 July 2019, 01:17 AM   #4
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by selpo View Post
Thank you!

I think it's an area of 3 blocks by downtown. Should be fine.

Cambridge can also be considered. Depends where he works/studies

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 16 July 2019, 02:04 AM   #5
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
I think it's an area of 3 blocks by downtown. Should be fine.

Cambridge can also be considered. Depends where he works/studies

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks again!
Old 16 July 2019, 02:11 AM   #6
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've lived in new york for 12 years now so my information isn't super up-to-date, but I grew up in Boston and I think all those areas are great. I'd personally go for the back bay as I always just kind of preferred the vibe of the area but I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

Agreed the T is great, particularly if he's mostly at Tufts, so a car isn't necessary but it's definitely nice to have one to be able to leave the city freely--particularly in the summer there's lots to see/do within an hour's drive. But sounds like your son may have other things to worry about than weekend getaways lol.

And congrats to you and your son both!
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 03:08 AM   #7
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
I've lived in new york for 12 years now so my information isn't super up-to-date, but I grew up in Boston and I think all those areas are great. I'd personally go for the back bay as I always just kind of preferred the vibe of the area but I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

Agreed the T is great, particularly if he's mostly at Tufts, so a car isn't necessary but it's definitely nice to have one to be able to leave the city freely--particularly in the summer there's lots to see/do within an hour's drive. But sounds like your son may have other things to worry about than weekend getaways lol.

And congrats to you and your son both!
Thank you! Appreciate the confirmation about the neighborhoods.
Old 16 July 2019, 03:17 AM   #8
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Went to school in Boston for 4 years (I am in my early thirties now, so decently far removed) and I periodically visit Boston as well for holiday. But from my experience, Back Bay would be my choice for a younger person. Safe. Nice stores, restaurants and bars. A younger population. Also, agreed with previous sentiments; no need for a car.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 03:22 AM   #9
Langnam
"TRF" Member

I’ve lived in MA nearly my whole life and have worked in Boston since 1984.

Tufts is located in Medford so I’m no sure if the T is very convenient. He may want to look for apartments in Somerville, too.
Tufts Medical Center is in Boston and very close to Bay Village. IMO, there’s not much of a neighborhood there, and it backs up to the Mass Pike, but it is convenient.

You can’t go wrong with much of metro Boston. It basically comes down to convenience for classes and the hospital, and of course his budget.

Single apartments are not cheap. Most likely, plan on roommates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 July 2019, 03:23 AM   #10
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Went to school in Boston for 4 years (I am in my early thirties now, so decently far removed) and I periodically visit Boston as well for holiday. From my experience, Back Bay would be my choice for a younger person. Safe. Nice stores, restaurants and bars. A younger population. Also, agreed with previous sentiments; no need for a car.
Thank you!
Old 16 July 2019, 03:29 AM   #11
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
I’ve lived in MA nearly my whole life and have worked in Boston since 1984.

Tufts is located in Medford so I’m no sure if the T is very convenient. He may want to look for apartments in Somerville, too.
Tufts Medical Center is in Boston and very close to Bay Village. IMO, there’s not much of a neighborhood there, and it backs up to the Mass Pike, but it is convenient.

You can’t go wrong with much of metro Boston. It basically comes down to convenience for classes and the hospital, and of course his budget.

Single apartments are not cheap. Most likely, plan on roommates.

Thank you!

Apparently almost all of his classes are at Tufts Medical Center. I did notice that the 1 BR apts are expensive but I prefer that to unknown roommates. He has also posted in their FB group to see if any of his grad school colleagues want to share an apt, which I will be fine with.

Focusing mainly on Brookline, Back Bay, Beacon Hill and Bay village- will see what pans out.
Old 16 July 2019, 03:33 AM   #12
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Easy commute from all of those areas. Single apartment, with no roommates, bare bones is 2k minimum.

My guess is that is low.

Old 16 July 2019, 03:43 AM   #13
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Easy commute from all of those areas. Single apartment, with no roommates, bare bones is 2k minimum.

My guess is that is low.

You are right, about 1800-2200 plus utilities.
Old 16 July 2019, 03:52 AM   #14
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
My wife lived there for several years in Beacon Hill and Cambridge. I always felt safe there at night, etc. and convenient to everything. Only potential issue is high cost, and the cold winter. That’s why I’m a professor at a more southerly located Ivy.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 04:06 AM   #15
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
My wife lived there for several years in Beacon Hill and Cambridge. I always felt safe there at night, etc. and convenient to everything. Only potential issue is high cost, and the cold winter. That’s why I’m a professor at a more southerly located Ivy.
Moving from Texas, it is going to be interesting to see how my son copes with the winter! Good to hear about the neighborhoods, thank you.
Old 16 July 2019, 04:41 AM   #16
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Thank you!

It’s not bad. Very safe. Good location. 2 blocks from Hermès/4 seasons
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 04:48 AM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Lived in Boston while in school and then worked in 1 Post office Square for three years.

Boston is an amazing town. Go and check out the various areas you mention. If it looks good, it is just as safe as any other big city.

Your kid is going to have a blast.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 04:49 AM   #18
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
It’s not bad. Very safe. Good location. 2 blocks from Hermès/4 seasons
Thank you.
Old 16 July 2019, 04:50 AM   #19
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Lived in Boston while in school and then worked in 1 Post office Square for three years.

Boston is an amazing town. Go and check out the various areas you mention. If it looks good, it is just as safe as any other big city.

Your kid is going to have a blast.
Thank you, he is pretty excited. Planning on viewing about 6 apts in the above neighborhoods and then make a decision.
Old 16 July 2019, 04:56 AM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Thank you, he is pretty excited. Planning on viewing about 6 apts in the above neighborhoods and then make a decision.
you really can't go wrong in any of them.

none of them cheap, but it is worth it.

if I lived closer, I would love to buy a place in the area. I passed on an opportunity when I was in school. boy did I miss out on that one.

anyway, enjoy the process. one of the best, most manageable, cities in the world.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 07:52 AM   #21
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
you really can't go wrong in any of them.

none of them cheap, but it is worth it.

if I lived closer, I would love to buy a place in the area. I passed on an opportunity when I was in school. boy did I miss out on that one.

anyway, enjoy the process. one of the best, most manageable, cities in the world.
Thank you, will keep you all informed.
Old 16 July 2019, 08:16 AM   #22
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
PM me if you have any questions, Medford isn't the best area other then the direct surrounding circumference of the campus but it's relatively affordable. For Cambridge and Somerville property isn't just expensive, it's tough to come by, market is completely in the hands of the sellers/landlords and there is NO inventory depending on your price point. Winchester and Arlington might have the best combo of convenience and affordability. Happy to speak to some local realtors for you or help with some pre-planning if you need it.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 08:32 AM   #23
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
PM me if you have any questions, Medford isn't the best area other then the direct surrounding circumference of the campus but it's relatively affordable. For Cambridge and Somerville property isn't just expensive, it's tough to come by, market is completely in the hands of the sellers/landlords and there is NO inventory depending on your price point. Winchester and Arlington might have the best combo of convenience and affordability. Happy to speak to some local realtors for you or help with some pre-planning if you need it.
Thank you very much Marc. He is going to be spending almost all his time at Tufts Medical Center and so are looking into the Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Bay village area. Would love it if you can PM me info of a realtor you recommend who can help with rentals in these areas.
Old 16 July 2019, 09:23 AM   #24
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Thank you very much Marc. He is going to be spending almost all his time at Tufts Medical Center and so are looking into the Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Bay village area. Would love it if you can PM me info of a realtor you recommend who can help with rentals in these areas.
If he’s going to Tuffs medical. Bay village is good value. South end near Tremont is trendier. Backbay is on the other side of Copley and is older money.

If I was you and you could swing it, I’d do the south end. It’s much more of a neighborhood and one of the trendiest. Also backbay station is right there and is convenient to everything.

The other thing to do is to live in a high rise at Copley. Lots of options.

I would not do leather district or Charlestown or south Boston for a student at Tufts... it’s not a massive savings cost wise. Also i would not go deep into south end towards City hospital or Washington Park.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 09:57 AM   #25
Zi Pie'
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one !
Quote:
Hello everyone,

My son has been accepted to the Masters in Biomedical sciences at Tuft's and will be at the Tufts medical Center for at least a year.
Looking for advice about Boston in General and places to live in particular and places to avoid.
From what I have found so far, Back Bay, Beacon Hill and Bay Village/Boston commons are decent areas and to avoid Roxbury/Jackson square.
My son and I are going to be there this weekend for apartment hunting.
I also heard that The T is pretty good and no need for a car unless you live in the suburbs.
Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance.
Hi Selpo, congrats on your son to get into Tufts, it is a great school. Borderline Ivy League. I have been living in Somerville (where part of main Tufts Campus is) for over 10 years shoot me a PM and I leave you my cell phone #.
Zi Pie' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 10:42 AM   #26
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
If he’s going to Tuffs medical. Bay village is good value. South end near Tremont is trendier. Backbay is on the other side of Copley and is older money.

If I was you and you could swing it, I’d do the south end. It’s much more of a neighborhood and one of the trendiest. Also backbay station is right there and is convenient to everything.

The other thing to do is to live in a high rise at Copley. Lots of options.

I would not do leather district or Charlestown or south Boston for a student at Tufts... it’s not a massive savings cost wise. Also i would not go deep into south end towards City hospital or Washington Park.
Thank you for such detailed info, helps a whole lot. Will look into the high rises in Copley as well.
Old 16 July 2019, 10:43 AM   #27
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zi Pie' View Post
Hi Selpo, congrats on your son to get into Tufts, it is a great school. Borderline Ivy League. I have been living in Somerville (where part of main Tufts Campus is) for over 10 years shoot me a PM and I leave you my cell phone #.
Thank you very much, much appreciated!
Old 16 July 2019, 11:15 AM   #28
Zi Pie'
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one !
Quote:
Thank you very much, much appreciated!
Np, you are welcome.
Anything on the Orange Line works just fine.
Zi Pie' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 11:16 AM   #29
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Agree with everything here for the most part. If I could do it again, I'd probably do Somerville - but nobody wanted to live in Somerville 15 years ago :).

If you're OK spending +/- $500/mo, it doesn't get any better than Back Bay, or Beacon Hill (a bit more $).

Either way, you're in good shape. Everyone has offered, feel free to PM me and happy to talk at length on phone, etc. to help you out.

Best of luck - and for the love of god, for all of these people answering Boston questions - can we please get a G2G going soon?!
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 12:05 PM   #30
selpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjb View Post
Agree with everything here for the most part. If I could do it again, I'd probably do Somerville - but nobody wanted to live in Somerville 15 years ago :).

If you're OK spending +/- $500/mo, it doesn't get any better than Back Bay, or Beacon Hill (a bit more $).

Either way, you're in good shape. Everyone has offered, feel free to PM me and happy to talk at length on phone, etc. to help you out.

Best of luck - and for the love of god, for all of these people answering Boston questions - can we please get a G2G going soon?!
Thank you! Somerville probably will be far for him but definitely focusing on Back Bay and Beacon Hill. Thank you also for offering to spend some time on the phone, much appreciated.