The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 July 2019, 12:34 AM   #1
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Ever Been Self Conscious in Business Meetings?

One of the other threads got me thinking if anybody here deals with customers and have been called out, or are self conscious when wearing your Rolex to customer meetings. I have been in Sales and Management Consulting for 30+ years and have only been called out once - and not in a good way. Just curious what other have experienced.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:36 AM   #2
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Not in a good way how? What happened?

No one in or out of work has commented on it so far. My extended family doesn't even notice it, and I don't advertise it.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:37 AM   #3
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Never been called out
Never had my watch commented on
Never expect that to happen either
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:40 AM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:42 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
If I'm self conscious I wear under my cuff, if not I don't worry about it one way or the other
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:43 AM   #6
AAK_JR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
My wife was by her co-workers wearing her YG Yachtmaster. She doesn't wear it anymore to work and rarely at all. So bought her a SS Oyster Perpetual and she loves it.
AAK_JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:47 AM   #7
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Depends on the model. Is it a YG 40mm + case size or 34mm SS air-king. Makes a huge difference.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:50 AM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I have had my watches complimented, but never called out per se. What I can say is that if someone calls someone out about a watch, they will likely call others out on other things, appearance, car, house size, dress, etc. it’s really a social skills problem, not a watch problem.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:00 AM   #9
FSK7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Never really been self conscious about wearing a watch to a meeting or anything. Few years ago I had a job interview and the CFO mid interview realized I had a Daytona on and was like “wait are you wearing a Daytona right now”?! With a huge smile, and I said yes I am. Instead of going back to the interview we started talking about watches , he had a sub on. 30 min after leaving the office got a call that I got the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FSK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:02 AM   #10
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Called out? You make it sound like you did something wrong.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:06 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
No..... why would I, or anybody, feel self conscious about a wristwatch?
Old 19 July 2019, 01:09 AM   #12
Rabidmonk0
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
At work, I've only ever had two comments on my watches. Both were from vendors, once on my blue Pelagos and once on my 16570 polar. Turns out both were watch people, so it made for interesting conversations.
Rabidmonk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:12 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Why anyone would think by wearing any watch Rolex included would effect there self Conscious in Business Meetings defeats me.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:22 AM   #14
Lumberjact
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think it is conceivable that a certain watch may be considered by others inappropriate in a certain context. Or even that common sense would indicate to you that it may not be the wisest course of action. Like parking your Ferrari outside the front door that charity shop you run, for example. It is possible, but I've never experienced it personally.

"Onto his wrist he slipped his steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual, the 34mm model, the date window its only complication; Bond did not need to know the phases of the moon or the exact moment of high tide at Southampton. And he suspected very few people did."
Lumberjact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:48 AM   #15
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I've seen it a lot by sales people, timeshare, cars etc.

I've commented on their Rolex by saying I like your watch, and almost every time they respond by saying their wife bought it for them or they won it in a sales contest.

In some cases I guess that could happen but everyone I said it to, responded the same way which I thought was kind of odd. My opinion is if you like nice things wear them proudly.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:54 AM   #16
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No..... why would I, or anybody, feel self conscious about a wristwatch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Why anyone would think by wearing any watch Rolex included would effect there self Conscious in Business Meetings defeats me.
Because people like to judge.

And in a sales environment customers like to look and judge.

And then they think you are making too much money. So then they question. And then maybe they don’t make the sale.

Cmon guys. You’ve read enough threads. You know there is a valid reason for concern.

Personally, OP, Ive gotten comments on watches and cars. Tons of them. One about my cars just last week. I used to be self conscious. I got to a point where I use it as part of my sales.

I want my customers to see success. Humble success for sure, but someone doing well.

People check my numbers anyway. If I’m competitive, it makes sense to give the work to someone successful rather than the alternative.

Edit to add: as long as you are not a pretentious douche about it. People like passion. When people ask me about my watches or cars I go into my history with them, how much I like them, my hobbies etc. It ends up, again as being part of the sale, and creates even more "get to know you" type conversation.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 02:10 AM   #17
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
One of the other threads got me thinking if anybody here deals with customers and have been called out, or are self conscious when wearing your Rolex to customer meetings. I have been in Sales and Management Consulting for 30+ years and have only been called out once - and not in a good way. Just curious what other have experienced.
As an industrial sales representative, I NEVER wear a Rolex to meet clients. I may wear a JLC, Omega, or even Patek, but never Rolex. The brand carries preconceived notions that are not beneficial in some cases.

Just as @superdog above stated, in many sales environments you are judged on a variety of items. It’s easy to proclaim on the internet that “I wear what I want”, People have no right to judge”, “Its none of their business”, etc, but when tens of thousands in commission is on the line, and you have responsibilities, one has a different perspective !

Old 19 July 2019, 02:20 AM   #18
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Keep it under the cuff - majority of the population has no awareness.

Old 19 July 2019, 02:21 AM   #19
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
I am semi-retired now, worked all my life in California in B2B & retail sales. Never had a problem.....no one here gives a rats behind.
Old 19 July 2019, 02:29 AM   #20
Randomgary
"TRF" Member

I also work for a business consultancy.

Yet to collect my watch but I doubt I will wear it to pitches for new pieces of work.
Randomgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 02:40 AM   #21
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Because people like to judge.

And in a sales environment customers like to look and judge.

And then they think you are making too much money. So then they question. And then maybe they don’t make the sale.

Cmon guys. You’ve read enough threads. You know there is a valid reason for concern.

Personally, OP, Ive gotten comments on watches and cars. Tons of them. One about my cars just last week. I used to be self conscious. I got to a point where I use it as part of my sales.

I want my customers to see success. Humble success for sure, but someone doing well.

People check my numbers anyway. If I’m competitive, it makes sense to give the work to someone successful rather than the alternative.

Edit to add: as long as you are not a pretentious douche about it. People like passion. When people ask me about my watches or cars I go into my history with them, how much I like them, my hobbies etc. It ends up, again as being part of the sale, and creates even more "get to know you" type conversation.

Makes no sense whatsoever. If you’re the low bidder and your customer sees you wearing a Rolex do you think he’s going to give the order to someone with a higher price because he’ll assume you’re up to something like substituting inferior materials to pay for the watch? Wear the watch, live your life, quit worrying about what everybody else thinks. Social media, Instagram etc. has really warped the way people think these days.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:04 AM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Makes no sense whatsoever. If you’re the low bidder and your customer sees you wearing a Rolex do you think he’s going to give the order to someone with a higher price because he’ll assume you’re up to something like substituting inferior materials to pay for the watch? Wear the watch, live your life, quit worrying about what everybody else thinks. Social media, Instagram etc. has really warped the way people think these days.
Clearly you are not in sales.

I’ve been called out on a number occasions with comments looks “clearly, I’m paying you too much”. What happens if I’m dealing with regular clients that decide I make too much? They go and bid me out.

I regularly explain to customers that I make my money on volume, not margin. Which is true.

I can assure you if I go in against a competitor, at equal or near equal pricing, and I look well put together, and my competition doesn’t, I’m getting the work.

And to think the internet and social media has warped peoples minds is foolish. Social media hasn’t warped minds. It’s put a spot light on them.

Old 19 July 2019, 04:17 AM   #23
MOVSOONER
"TRF" Member

No, and I much prefer to hire successful consultants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
MOVSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:31 AM   #24
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Clearly you are not in sales.

I’ve been called out on a number occasions with comments looks “clearly, I’m paying you too much”. What happens if I’m dealing with regular clients that decide I make too much? They go and bid me out.

I regularly explain to customers that I make my money on volume, not margin. Which is true.

I can assure you if I go in against a competitor, at equal or near equal pricing, and I look well put together, and my competition doesn’t, I’m getting the work.

And to think the internet and social media has warped peoples minds is foolish. Social media hasn’t warped minds. It’s put a spot light on them.
Well I don’t see it that way. And, not only am I in sales, I own my own business selling doors, frames, and hardware to contractors and have owned the company which I started since 1987. My appearance doesn’t have anything to do with it. I wear Gucci loafers with jeans, sometimes don’t shave, and wear a Patek or a Rolex. Never been called out. If I don’t sell I don’t eat.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:01 AM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well I don’t see it that way. And, not only am I in sales, I own my own business selling doors, frames, and hardware to contractors and have owned the company which I started since 1987. My appearance doesn’t have anything to do with it. I wear Gucci loafers with jeans, sometimes don’t shave, and wear a Patek or a Rolex. Never been called out. If I don’t sell I don’t eat.
You might not realize it, but I absolutely guarantee you that your appearance counts. One way or another.

Old 19 July 2019, 05:04 AM   #26
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Our sales environments must be vastly different. I remove any possible chance to be perceived in a bad light.
Old 19 July 2019, 05:05 AM   #27
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Ever Been Self Conscious in Business Meetings?

Wear your watch proudly
Albusdabbledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:06 AM   #28
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Called out for what? Wearing a watch?
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:08 AM   #29
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I rarely wear my Rolex to sales meetings. I prefer my Omega that is a lot more under the radar.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:09 AM   #30
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I’ve never been called out. My cars have gotten plenty of comments but my watches not one. Some looks for sure, I’ve caught people staring but that’s it. For me, I firmly believe you wear the watch and carry it, it exudes a sense of confidence others pick up. Not in an arrogant way just confident.

GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote