The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2018, 03:22 AM   #1
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I think I am done....no more waiting lists for me

A watch story never hurt nobody

I have been a watchnerd all my life. I have been through all the usual stages....starting with a Swatch and ending with Rolex. While I always liked watches I didn’t always like Rolex.
Few years ago, I started to be interested in Rolex, sold my watches and I opened the Rolex chapter.
I first got a vintage DJ 1603 (Im a vintage fan) and from there on I went through a few models, modern and vintage.... a modern OP 36mm, a modern DJ 36mm, an Explorer 2 216570 black dial, a vintage OP date gold and a modern Sub no date.
Out all all these, the only one I got new was the Sub and it is the only one I kept. They were all great and I really enjoyed them. I became a Rolex fan speaking now from experience.
But I decided to reduce the number of watches I own to maximum 5: 2 rolex keepers and 3 vintage pieces that I can sell/trade from time to time.

So, I kept the Sub and wanted to add the new Pepsi or maybe a DD. Got absorbed by the hype generated by the new Pepsi and I went and put my name down for one. The dealer told me that can take my name but the wait is long. I am patient man, in general, but waiting years for a 10k watch is absurd to me. I told the dealer I am ready to buy now and to see what can do for me. I even got in touch with a guy that is connected enough to jump the queue.....few months later no sign of a Pepsi for me. I visited the dealer a few times, money in my pocket, no chance.
Meanwhile, Rolex cuts the supply and Subs and other sport models disappear from the window. I am thinking: why is Rolex shooting itself in the foot?!

I am like: am I playing this Rolex game?!! I want this watch but not so much to wait a few years or buy it for a premium on the grey market.
So, I said goodbye to it in a split second the other day.

I was browsing my local online market, today (like I always do) and came across this blue dial DJ 16200, I called the guy and it turns out he is only 10 min away from my house.
One hour later we are sitting down in Starbucks and we shake hands in about 5 min after we meet. The watch sang to me immediately. This reference is so right for a guy like me who likes vintage but, also, the perks of modern models.
The watch is pristine, unpolished with box and papers. Made in 2000 and sold in 2006. The condition and price were right and it took me no time to decide. I am a sucker for sharp lugs...
I stopped at the Rolex boutique to size the bracelet and here I am kind of done with Rolex.

I hv a Sub and this DJ and to be honest there is nothing else that I wish or need. Rolex did me a favor not selling me a Pepsi for 10k.
In theory, I won’t buy another Rolex; the Sub will go to my son and the DJ to my daughter. (a much more better choice for her than the Pepsi). There will always be new attractive models coming out but I think I had my share and I shall stick to this pair for the years to come.

I hope this wasn’t too boring. I just didn’t feel like writing “incoming”.
Keep calm and keep watching the second hand sweep ��!

Here is the culprit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 85E0FF15-8D3E-4A54-BCDE-ECBEE8AB42C2.jpeg (289.2 KB, 9043 views)
Old 8 October 2018, 03:34 AM   #2
DahMan
Banned

I’ve got three, one too many....
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:36 AM   #3
Khans14
"TRF" Member

Wow...... your post read my mind. I just simplified down to two watches and turned down a Hulk at MSRP from a local AD. I have precisely what I need and I am getting off the ferris wheel myself. I was getting ready to type a thank you message to the forum with the last pic of the completed collection. Your post made it easy on me because I can just post my final collection pic to your message. I am out and thanks to all for the information over the past year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3866.jpg (47.9 KB, 8779 views)
Khans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:17 AM   #4
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans14 View Post
Wow...... your post read my mind. I just simplified down to two watches and turned down a Hulk at MSRP from a local AD. I have precisely what I need and I am getting off the ferris wheel myself. I was getting ready to type a thank you message to the forum with the last pic of the completed collection. Your post made it easy on me because I can just post my final collection pic to your message. I am out and thanks to all for the information over the past year.
Your 2 piece is prob the most ideal in my opinion. You can keep riding the carousel but the ride never gets better, only the music changes.
JohnLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 07:29 PM   #5
Hemdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ooops
Hemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 09:06 AM   #6
Guppydriver
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Wow...... your post read my mind. I just simplified down to two watches and turned down a Hulk at MSRP from a local AD. I have precisely what I need and I am getting off the ferris wheel myself. .

I started reading this thread like it was new and not a revival. I couldn't help but notice this second post. Oh if only Khans14 had a DeLorean that could hit 88mph.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:37 AM   #7
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Nice looking watch. Congrats!
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:40 AM   #8
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Agreed... Congrats and enjoy...
Here's my pair but honestly one more wouldn't hurt...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 592E495D-D7AB-4502-81BB-C5936F53DF29.jpeg (160.8 KB, 8649 views)
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:48 AM   #9
JacksonStone
Banned

Saying, "I'm done buying Rolexes," immediately after buying a Rolex is like saying, "I'm swearing off drugs," right after snorting a line of coke. Give it time. If it holds true, then the claim has merit. Right now, you're still under the influence of the purchase.

At any rate, enjoy your DJ.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:57 AM   #10
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Saying, "I'm done buying Rolexes," immediately after buying a Rolex is like saying, "I'm swearing off drugs," right after snorting a line of coke. Give it time. If it holds true, then the claim has merit. Right now, you're still under the influence of the purchase.

Lol. Don’t say that!! I’m done with Rolex as soon as I get my Hulk! Don’t put that evil on me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:59 AM   #11
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonstone View Post
saying, "i'm done buying rolexes," immediately after buying a rolex is like saying, "i'm swearing off drugs," right after snorting a line of coke. Give it time. If it holds true, then the claim has merit. Right now, you're still under the influence of the purchase.

At any rate, enjoy your dj.
+1 Nice 16200, OP

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 04:56 AM   #12
Trip Miller
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This ^^^
Trip Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:20 AM   #13
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

unfortunately, I identify with this.

Edit: the watch part of it, not the drug use part.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:21 AM   #14
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

I was about to send you a PM offering my support and help, buddy.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 02:54 AM   #15
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 08:51 AM   #16
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Trudat! You will come back to get high again LOL
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:02 AM   #17
HNIC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex collector
Quote:

+1

And when you see the new BLRO in person, it’s a wrap.

HNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:33 PM   #18
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Haha exactly!

BT1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:54 PM   #19
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Saying, "I'm done buying Rolexes," immediately after buying a Rolex is like saying, "I'm swearing off drugs," right after snorting a line of coke.
Kind of my thought, but without the Coca-Cola.

But hey, that's a pretty watch, sounds like you are enjoying it, congrats!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:18 PM   #20
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations on a beautiful watch. Enjoy, sit back and watch the silliness of supply and demand. At some point the supply/demand issues will change and the chance for the average consumer to buy the watch they want, when they want, will be the norm.
thank you and, yes, you are right. I can stand back and watch this game for the time being. As long as it lasts I am out of it. if things come back to normal.....we shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Good luck with your choice. You're going to need it the day you get the call for the Pepsi. Not even taking about next releases.
If this happens in relatively short time I might give it a thought...I could say that I made a rushed decision but I doubt I would be in this position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Nice pick up and I agree. I’m pretty over it with this “scarcity” game that Rolex is playing.
Yes, me too. As I said I am not playing this game, not with a 10k watch. It's not a kidney to wait for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu74 View Post
Congrats on your nice DJ!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
regardless of how you got to the point where you are, its a nice feeling to be able to see your collection as complete
Complete...I do not know about that. I can say I am happy with my watches and one needs to take into consideration many other factors. Nevertheless, I considered myself fortunate to own these luxury items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin47 View Post
It's not boring at all, interesting write up also congrats on the incoming DJ.
Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
But hey, that's a pretty watch, sounds like you are enjoying it, congrats!
Indeed it is a pretty little watch for less than half the price of a new Pepsi and no wait whatsoever. It is all a matter of choice...there is no right or wrong.
Old 23 December 2018, 12:51 AM   #21
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Haha. I don't know how many times I've uttered the words, "I'm done" or "my collection is complete!" The last few times I've said it to my wife, she's finished it with the caveat, ".....until you're/it's not." The longest I've followed my declaration was 12 months.

Enjoy your DJ.....until you don't!
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 05:58 AM   #22
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

Completely agree. You're on your present high. Enjoy it...
Congrats.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 08:05 AM   #23
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:

Truth right there. The watch buying part. Not sure about the coke part.

4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:49 AM   #24
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Not boring at all.

Beautiful watch, congratulations.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:56 AM   #25
doubleroll
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Nice post. I have my SS Daytona and was never on a wait list, nor will I ever be subject to a wait list for a Rolex or any watch. It not a heart or other major organ for Pete’s sake...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 8 October 2018, 03:56 AM   #26
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Great story. The brushed lug and all-brushed bracelet DJs were the best. What an awesome find!
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:09 AM   #27
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Hah! Same here Verdi. Money in my pocket ready to pull the trigger but target nowhere in sight.

Waiting for 1 year & nine months now from my AD.

Yup, I like my DJ too. She was available and pretty when I decided to buy me first.

I have turnt my sights to GS now.
And as luck would have it I am on the waiting list again for this model.

yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:25 AM   #28
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Congratulations. I’d like to get down to two, but can’t see it happening!

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 09:03 AM   #29
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
The watch is pristine, unpolished with box and papers. Made in 2000 and sold in 2006. The condition and price were right and it took me no time to decide. I am a sucker for sharp lugs...
Is it within reason that there could be six years for a watch to sit on a shelf before sale?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 09:38 AM   #30
roadking11002
Banned

Nice watch
roadking11002 is offline   Reply With Quote