The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2020, 07:24 PM   #91
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Just read through the entire thing and I totally get where you’re coming from. I think you might be referring to the same dealer chain that I’ve been dealing with. They are tiresome. I’ve been waiting for a Sub for over 18 months and now a DJ41 for over 6 months. It’s quite clear the dealer only looks after certain friends at this point in time.

So I’m also now at a crossroads of what to do and I think I’m going to start going 5 digit. Certainly for the Sub.

As you said, the games are ridiculous. I know I’ll never be a big player out here, so why even try.

Great story on the watches.

GMT will be a 5 digit for me, too, I think. I dont see getting a new one at price list and I am not paying a premium at greys.

So, talking about games....the guy I bought this green OP from has purchased in the last 2 years the following watches: OP, DJ, 2 tone Daytona, Yachtmaster...and he still cannot get a steel Daytona or a GMT!!!! Forgetaboutit.....
Old 14 August 2020, 07:49 PM   #92
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
GMT will be a 5 digit for me, too, I think. I dont see getting a new one at price list and I am not paying a premium at greys.

So, talking about games....the guy I bought this green OP from has purchased in the last 2 years the following watches: OP, DJ, 2 tone Daytona, Yachtmaster...and he still cannot get a steel Daytona or a GMT!!!! Forgetaboutit.....
Daytona's are just for the manager of the AD's close friends, is what i beleive. at least here in UK.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:51 PM   #93
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s crazy. I know a lot of people on the “wish list” and some with extensive purchase history. They’re getting nothing. Meanwhile, the classifieds are full on new pieces.

So yes, I think time to move on. There are some great options for 5 digit cokes at the moment.

I missed out on a full set 14060m recently at a well known vintage seller here. It was somewhat expensive but was a solid, clean late model.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 08:27 PM   #94
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Daytona's are just for the manager of the AD's close friends, is what i beleive. at least here in UK.

I’ve had three Daytona’s (two of them gold though) and a Pepsi. I’m not a close friend of the AD, but I am a loyal customer. When most on this forum were buying Subs and GMTs at discounted prices from grey dealers a few years ago, I was buying from my AD. That loyalty is ‘rightly’ remembered.

When I bought my Nautilus just over a year ago, whilst discussing the possibility of me being able to get one, the Patek AD hinted very strongly that if I was a big jewellery buyer then it would be advantageous. I explained that I do buy a reasonable amount of jewellery, but that I wouldn’t buy from anywhere other than my Rolex AD, as the relationship I have with them means something. Ironically, I think the Patek AD appreciated that and it counted in my favour. The Patek AD also sells JLC and IWC (my Rolex AD doesn’t), and whilst I could go grey to save money, if I decide to buy one, it will be from the Patek AD, because that’s the right thing to do.

I recently bought an Offshore 26480 from AP House. I could have saved a decent amount of money if I’d gone grey, but I would rather build a relationship with AP.

If/when this crazy market becomes normal again, I wonder how many on here will go grey again! Probably most.

For me, it’s all about relationships. When I read on here about people popping into their local AD every couple of months in a bid to build a relationship so that they can get a Daytona or a Pepsi, I cringe a little. I pop into my AD every time I’m in town. Not because I need to or because I want something from them, but because I like talking watches with them and they’re all nice people. It’s genuine.

My general view on life is that if you do the right things and treat people well, without an agenda, then good things will happen.

OP - stunning watch, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 09:01 PM   #95
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I’ve had three Daytona’s (two of them gold though) and a Pepsi. I’m not a close friend of the AD, but I am a loyal customer. When most on this forum were buying Subs and GMTs at discounted prices from grey dealers a few years ago, I was buying from my AD. That loyalty is ‘rightly’ remembered.

My wrist is 7 inch, flat, and I think the 34mm OP is just fine. I like 36mm a little better but I have no problem wearing this green OP.

I shall review it in detail in the following days as this is the latest purchase. ��

#rolex #rolexoysterperpetual #rolexwatch
because I need to or because I want something from them, but because I like talking watches with them and they’re all nice people. It’s genuine.

My general view on life is that if you do the right things and treat people well, without an agenda, then good things will happen.

OP - stunning watch, congrats!

Different places, different stories.
Over the years, I only bought one 2 tone DJ, one Submariner and one Explorer. I stand no chance for a GMT.
Daytona I do not want.
At the same time....local grey dealers do have Daytona and GMTs. So, it is what it is.

Also, you, Sir, spent a lot of money at that AD. You should get any model you want.

Thanks for the OP wishes
Old 14 August 2020, 09:08 PM   #96
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post

For me, it’s all about relationships. When I read on here about people popping into their local AD every couple of months in a bid to build a relationship so that they can get a Daytona or a Pepsi, I cringe a little. I pop into my AD every time I’m in town. Not because I need to or because I want something from them, but because I like talking watches with them and they’re all nice people. It’s genuine.

I get the idea of the relationship, however as I have noted to the AD here in Dubai numerous occasions, it’s impossible to build a relationship if they won’t sell me something and I refuse to buy something I don’t want. For me, it’s a simple blue DJ41.

The UK dealers in my experience are a little more honest. Out here they will just lie to your face. There’s no relationship building in Dubai unless you’re a mega whale. Even $100k spend doesn’t cut it.
Old 14 August 2020, 11:04 PM   #97
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
I get the idea of the relationship, however as I have noted to the AD here in Dubai numerous occasions, it’s impossible to build a relationship if they won’t sell me something and I refuse to buy something I don’t want. For me, it’s a simple blue DJ41.

The UK dealers in my experience are a little more honest. Out here they will just lie to your face. There’s no relationship building in Dubai unless you’re a mega whale. Even $100k spend doesn’t cut it.

That’s very fair. I lived in Dubai and I was largely impossible unless you were either a genuine local or properly loaded (and with a status) - I didn’t tick any of those boxes!!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 11:10 PM   #98
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Guys, in fact, my story gets even crazier.

So, I bought the OP green last nite...pre-owned. Had in mind to share with my partner in crime. When I was looking for this watch I was, also, in touch with somebody who was selling OP 36mm grape dial....pre-owned, full set and a good price.

As we were having coffee today, she said: you wanna buy the other one too?
I was like.....YEAH!!!!

So, we got into the car, got the cash with us and bought it!!!!!
I bought 2 watches in 24 hrs: one OP 34 green which is now sized for my crime partner, and one OP 36mm grape, which is for me.
Both are preowned but in great condition.

So, yeah, having great fun!
gif upload site

Old 14 August 2020, 11:16 PM   #99
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Congrats Mitch. Although, rereading your first post in this thread, I thought you were done.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I've been there myself a few times. LOL

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:40 AM   #100
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This thread is like a watch parable.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:46 AM   #101
m56
Banned

The ease at which you get the watches...I wish that's how it always is without an unending wait list with AD.
m56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:54 AM   #102
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Fun read! I agree, there is a lot of collecting that can be done without waiting for the latest hot model from an AD. Congratulations X2 on your new watches!
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 01:32 AM   #103
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Congrats Mitch. Although, rereading your first post in this thread, I thought you were done.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I've been there myself a few times. LOL
I am done saying Im done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m56 View Post
The ease at which you get the watches...I wish that's how it always is without an unending wait list with AD.
Yes, but as crazy as it seems there is a logic. Basically my rule is one in, one out. I sold 3 watches in the last few months. I was going to get one but.....
Also, the price has to be right, slightly under the market price, which it was

Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
Fun read! I agree, there is a lot of collecting that can be done without waiting for the latest hot model from an AD. Congratulations X2 on your new watches!
Thank you. Yes, basically Im enjoying the watches but Im not buying from the AD. Pre-owned market is cheaper and more fun.
The options of paying premium or spend 100k usd at AD are not for me.
Old 15 August 2020, 02:04 AM   #104
campfire
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the story. It was a fun read. Congratulations on the new watches. All the best.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 02:27 AM   #105
rcclarkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 300m
Fun read indeed, thanks OP for keeping track of your journey here.
rcclarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 02:32 AM   #106
fl161
"TRF" Member

I’d like to do the same, impulse gets the best of me at times. Nice watch!
fl161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 02:54 AM   #107
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
unfortunately, I identify with this.

Edit: the watch part of it, not the drug use part.

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:40 PM   #108
Verdi
"TRF" Member

And, yes! Another incoming, this one is new from AD! I sold a watch and I bought a watch, same day!

I shall never be done! Finally I got the watch I always wanted, especially with the new movement!

Old 6 September 2020, 05:04 PM   #109
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And, yes! Another incoming, this one is new from AD! I sold a watch and I bought a watch, same day!

I shall never be done! Finally I got the watch I always wanted, especially with the new movement!

Exciting! Was it a case of exercising patience with them or was it available in the display?

Congrats anyways. Looking forward to seeing the pictures
Old 6 September 2020, 05:18 PM   #110
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exciting! Was it a case of exercising patience with them or was it available in the display?

Congrats anyways. Looking forward to seeing the pictures
No waiting....it was a watch thats available and that I always liked. I consider it the best all around Rolex.

PS: My name is still on the waitlist for a GMT but I have no hopes really!
Old 6 September 2020, 05:48 PM   #111
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No waiting....it was a watch thats available and that I always liked. I consider it the best all around Rolex.

PS: My name is still on the waitlist for a GMT but I have no hopes really!

I’ll take a stab at a DJ. Maybe a 41.

The rhodium is growing on me on those.
Old 6 September 2020, 05:56 PM   #112
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I don't know , I've had 3 steel Daytonas and 3 gold from my local AD and I never knew him before I started buying watches
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 06:10 PM   #113
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll take a stab at a DJ. Maybe a 41.

The rhodium is growing on me on those.
You are very close!
Old 6 September 2020, 10:54 PM   #114
Verdi
"TRF" Member

No, it is not a 2020 release, it is one from last year!

After I saw what is out this year, I decided to get the watch I wanted since it has been released: the new Datejust 36 mm, ref 126200, blue dial, smooth bezel and oyster bracelet.
This is the best buy in terms of value for money, in my opinion.......and there is no waitlist for these ones.

Every since I started to like Rolex, I have been going to my local AD and tried all possible models.
The model that always felt right for my wrist was the DJ 36mm. The best all around watch. The same can be said about Datejust41 if your wrist is lager.
I have owned 4 different DJs 36mm over the years: one 4 digit reference, two 5 digit reference and one 6 digit reference. They were all sold/traded for other watches.

Over the years I have, also, owned Submariner, Explorer 2, Explorer 1, Day-Date, Datejusts, Oyster Perpetual date and several OPs. Some vintage, some modern.

I got my blue Datejust part of a trade, sort of. Someone wanted to buy my Day Date but he did not have all the cash available. The guy offered to buy me a new Rolex from AD using his credit card and give me the difference in cash!
As I wanted this new blue Datejust, I accepted!

I had my DD for over a year, I did enjoy it, managed also to change its rhodium dial to a blue one. It went to a wis, he loves it and I am happy with the deal!

Old 7 September 2020, 12:06 AM   #115
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
No, it is not a 2020 release, it is one from last year!

After I saw what is out this year, I decided to get the watch I wanted since it has been released: the new Datejust 36 mm, ref 126200, blue dial, smooth bezel and oyster bracelet.

This is the best buy in terms of value for money, in my opinion.......and there is no waitlist for these ones.

Every since I started to like Rolex, I have been going to my local AD and tried all possible models.

The model that always felt right for my wrist was the DJ 36mm. The best all around watch. The same can be said about Datejust41 if your wrist is lager.

I have owned 4 different DJs 36mm over the years: one 4 digit reference, two 5 digit reference and one 6 digit reference. They were all sold/traded for other watches.

Over the years I have, also, owned Submariner, Explorer 2, Explorer 1, Day-Date, Datejusts, Oyster Perpetual date and several OPs. Some vintage, some modern.

I got my blue Datejust part of a trade, sort of. Someone wanted to buy my Day Date but he did not have all the cash available. The guy offered to buy me a new Rolex from AD using his credit card and give me the difference in cash!

As I wanted this new blue Datejust, I accepted!

I had my DD for over a year, I did enjoy it, managed also to change its rhodium dial to a blue one. It went to a wis, he loves it and I am happy with the deal!

Looks nice, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 12:07 AM   #116
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
The thread title should be changed from I think I'm done, to I'm a regular Rolex enthusiast going through references for the sake of enjoyment, new incoming soon.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 12:20 AM   #117
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
The thread title should be changed from I think I'm done, to I'm a regular Rolex enthusiast going through references for the sake of enjoyment, new incoming soon.

I think that sums it up pretty good!
Old 7 September 2020, 12:37 AM   #118
Ec2016
"TRF" Member

I have to wonder though. If your AD called today and said your Pepsi was available, would you turn it down? Would you feel like you won the lottery?
Ec2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 12:53 AM   #119
Ec2016
"TRF" Member

Ha should have read the whole thread
Ec2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 02:16 AM   #120
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec2016 View Post
I have to wonder though. If your AD called today and said your Pepsi was available, would you turn it down? Would you feel like you won the lottery?
Won the lottery?! No
Lucky?! Yes. Id take it.

PS: My AD wont call, they are used to high rollers, I only bought 4 watches from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec2016 View Post
Ha should have read the whole thread
Yes, that puts it into perspective!

@ fskywalker
Thank you, Sir!