The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 September 2020, 02:12 AM   #61
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

There's varying degrees to all 3 of your so-called myths. Depends on many factors.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:29 AM   #62
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Myth #4
Posting one's opinion on a myth magically transforms said opinion to fact.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:04 AM   #63
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Myth #4
Posting one's opinion on a myth magically transforms said opinion to fact.

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:11 AM   #64
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
There's varying degrees to all 3 of your so-called myths. Depends on many factors.
This.

However I tend to agree with all 3. Various factors making them all spot on of course.
Old 30 September 2020, 03:12 AM   #65
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
1 out of 3 ain’t bad

Let the debates begin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
9PM tonight.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:13 AM   #66
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

1) With advancements in materials and components, some modern watches operate without lubricants. IMHO - periodic servicing isn’t a bad idea, but if a watch is keeping proper time and otherwise functioning fine, the matter of servicing may not be so pressing.

2) Gears experience wear, albeit slowly. After 30 years, constantly moving gears will naturally show more wear than gears that have not been constantly moving. For the most part, the practical reasons for using a watch winder (especially for purposes of keeping a perpetual calendar accurate) outweigh the much longer term effects of constant running. Servicing for any watch is an inevitability. The frequency of servicing depends more on the the activity of the wearer, the sensitivity of the movement and the owner’s level of attention to such things.

3) Consult a Magic Eightball for the answer.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:17 AM   #67
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
9PM tonight.

To quote TE Lawrence,
“It (That) is a sideshow of a sideshow”...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:22 AM   #68
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Another thread where the OP has no idea what they are talking about. Modern lubricants have a 10 year shelf life, not 3-8. Good winders cause no additional wear compared to physically wearing the watch.

I’m not certain you understand how a winder works. It’s doesn’t just spin around all day. There is a reason wolf winders are so popular. It isn’t because they suck.

There are literally lists with peoples names on them, in binders, at ADs. I’ve seen the lists, I’ve seen names go on the Lists. Do they get followed every time? Probably not. It’s more of a list of people interested in buying that watch if they need someone to sell it to, outside of their VIPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:25 AM   #69
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The biggest myth on TRF is that BAS is actually an ultra marathoner. Me thinks he actually owns a donut shop
Shhhh! That is supposed to be a secret!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:26 AM   #70
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post

3. Waitlists

There is no such thing as a waitlist as that would imply if you wait long enough it will eventually become your turn.
I have proved it wrong earlier with my Daytona Incoming. My receipt date has ordered date 2.5 years before my delivered date which was the day I requested to be added to the list. If there was no waiting list, Rolex AD will not print such a date on the receipt. It is huge deal to have that in writing on the receipt. I proved your #3 incorrect!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=725305
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:28 AM   #71
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Keep your car engine running overnight,most wear and tear occurs with a cold start.

kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:36 AM   #72
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I thought the top 3 myths were

1- padi is president of the watch winders aficionado club of the world

2- DSW is evil for making money

3- rolex aren’t man jewelry
Old 30 September 2020, 03:43 AM   #73
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 05:02 AM   #74
darius359
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:

2. Leaving your watch in a winder will cause excessive wear to the movement.

Wrong.

Of course not. Your watch is made to be worn, not just "sometimes" but ALL the time. They have been on the wrists of marines in battle, been through mud, in firefights, through swamps, ran thousands of miles, climbed mount everest and whatever else you could think of.

Unless your watchwinder vibrates more than a Sybian or spins at 10,000 RPM it will NOT cause more wear than wearing it on your wrist, as it was intended. In all likelihood it will probably cause less wear because it doesn't have to endure even wilder motions your arm makes throughout the day, or random bumps when you slam your arm against the wall/door.

If you are servicing your watch following the recommended schedule, there's no danger in having your watch on a winder 24/7.

It can only be "bad" for the movement if the watch has gone past its service schedule. (Back to myth #1)
That mainspring though....

Ask your watchmaker what they think about keeping watches running on winders. I find the debate is evenly split with modern watches but not even close with vintage. Additionally, most winders are often set to too high a rotation, which is not healthy for the mainspring over a long period of time. But at the end of the day, if you're getting your watch serviced in regular intervals, it probably does not matter.

Of course, if you have a perpetual or a non-quickset date, you'll be more inclined to leave it on the winder but, again, ask a watchmaker or two for their opinion on this.
darius359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 05:16 AM   #75
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
To me the biggest silly myth on TRF is many people worship "UNPOLISHED" watches, even late 6-digit Rolex models, believing this magic word can translate to meaningful extra $$$.
I am one of them and the reason is very easy.

You get a product with a distinct shape. Then you get people that don’t like scratches and will engage in the sisyphean endeavor of polishing theses out.

I don’t care about extra $$$ but I enjoy the brutalism and hard shapes of older models. Probably why Dayton, oysters or Yacht-masters aren’t for me.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:48 AM   #76
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Nough said!!!
What he said.....
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:54 AM   #77
Gee2789
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 Doxa 300 no-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaga167 View Post
A winder is not needed and nobody can convince me that having something mechanical that runs continuous is good for it. All mechanical items need to rest at some point.
I had thought the same. However, a respected watch servicer made a comment that made a lot of sense to me.

All mechanical components will have wear and tear. However, this also extends to the crown tube/stem. Having a winder is, therefore, a trade off between whether you want the wear to be on the movement or on the crown components.

For modern watches, this trade off may not matter since parts are relatively easy to find. However, for VINTAGE, there are crown parts that come once in a blue moon, while it is much much easier to procure parts for the movement.
Gee2789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:54 AM   #78
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
To me the biggest silly myth on TRF is many people worship "UNPOLISHED" watches, even late 6-digit Rolex models, believing this magic word can translate to meaningful extra $$$.
I am sending my YG Daytona in for service soon. I don't care what they do as long as it comes back to me and is in exceptional and like new shape the same as when it arrives there...I'm very nervous though due to some recent RSC negative stories on TRF...
Old 30 September 2020, 07:02 AM   #79
matt_Denver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (no date)
Quote:

Unless your watchwinder vibrates more than a Sybian or spins at 10,000 RPM it will NOT cause more wear than wearing it on your wrist, as it was intended. In all likelihood it will probably cause less wear because it doesn't have to endure even wilder motions your arm makes throughout the day, or random bumps when you slam your arm against the wall/door.
can you tell us more about this Sybian you own?
Old 30 September 2020, 08:57 AM   #80
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Cameron Weiss - who owns and runs the Weiss Watch Company and used to work for Vacheron stated on the Watch and Listen Podcast: that if you are going to wear a watch, even if intermittently, a winder is best. Winding is less wear and tear on a watch than intermittently setting it with the crown. Good watch winders mimic wear, they don't wind watches excessively. If you don't plan on wearing a watch than it should not be on a winder.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:00 AM   #81
JEAJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118235
All of this can go on forever. Do what’s right for you. Use a winder or not, get your watch serviced or not. At some point, it has to makes sense for you. I personally use a winder, however, I wear that watch every few days. If I wasn’t going to wear a watch for a long period of time, I would not keep it on a winder. I’m just doing what makes sense for me, additionally, I’m a maintenance type of person, car, watch etc. I tend to follow the manufacturers recommendations.
JEAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:16 AM   #82
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Recently I had a Rolex watchmaker give me a lengthy lecture on the problems with winders. His point was the longer you run your on a winder the quicker you will need service. He showed me on his watch analysis machine how my 2 year old Date was showing some pinion wear and asked if I used a winder.

I was until the lecture. He is a fan of rotating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:17 AM   #83
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

WINNER
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:19 AM   #84
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
Quote:
I'm 5 minutes in and still fail to see the point?

He is using a Taxi analogy to compare a wristwatch, saying that because the cars run all the time, they have higher service cost/rate... Yes, that is obvious..??

But car service-intervals are also not determined by time alone, rather miles/years, whichever comes first.

Never have I purchased a watch that needed service after either 5 years (or 2300 running hours, whichever comes first).

A Rolex have fixed service intervals, it doesn't matter "how much" or "how little" you wear it. The movement isn't going to break or go bad because it runs 24/7, it's intended to run 24/7 - unlike a car.

Do you think that a watch that runs non stop will need a service prior to one that is rested occasionally?
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:22 AM   #85
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

My AD says don’t service unless there is a problem
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:24 AM   #86
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
1 out of 3 ain’t bad

Let the debates begin...

My read also. And you might want ditch the "stupid."
Old 30 September 2020, 09:55 AM   #87
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Fascinating.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:58 AM   #88
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
Here is another myth that I have heard online...

I am not sure how I feel about the wyths of the OP.

Number one - I think I can agree with the OP for the most part.

Number two - There may not be much harm done by a winder but I just do not think there is any advantage to putting your watch on a winder either. Especially, if you wear it every day anyway.

Number three - I do not think you can lump all AD's into one model. I am sure that they all have their own policies and I do not think that the policies concerning 'lists' come from Rolex.

Here are some myths about diving watches that I have heard online numerous times and have spent years trying to clear up as I have some bit of experience in this area.

The Helium Escape Valve / Relief Valve on any dive watch serves any useful function to anyone besides those engaged in saturation diving or perhaps Caisson work. Wrong.

There is no situation that a recreational diver or other professional diver needs this valve and in most cases even Saturation Divers don't need a watch at all. And even then it is merely a convenience, so that you don't need to unscrew the crown of your watch during the lengthy decompression ordeal. I would have to estimate that 99.99% of these valves manufactured have never operated.

This goes hand in hand with the myth that anyone needs a watch with an actual depth rating over about 2000 feet. Nobody, besides Aquaman, is going there in any of our lifetimes and probably it will never happen.

Water will get past the seals of your watch if you move your arms around vigorously underwater. It simply will not happen on any properly designed and maintained watch, it's BS.

Helium is such a small atom that it will penetrate the crystal of your watch. OMG, please don't ever say this because it is nonsense. I can give you a 100% proof of this not happening if you like, but you should not need it.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 10:04 AM   #89
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
cannot agree with #1, I think it depends on the manufacturer and technology used.
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 10:57 AM   #90
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
lost me at stupid.

Takeout the stupid in the title and more robust debate would have been possible. Lots of opinion, no facts.

No opinion on the first but makes sense to get a service done at a reasonable interval. That varies by make and model. You may choose to tell me otherwise, I’m not stupid because of what I believe is right.

I’d have no issue in letting a Rolex spin away nonstop. I’d rather let one of the less robustly produced pieces just sit and wait for when I’m ready to set the date/time/year and put it on my wrist. Keeps the bond strong between us and seeing that machinery in action as I wind, reminds me of what I love about that watch.

I’ve seen waitlists in action and I’ve been the beneficiary from different brands and outlets. There’s no singular rule or truth to how hundreds of thousands of watch outlets operate in hundreds of countries across different brands.