2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I truly hope you find a Submariner Sam, best of luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:04 PM   #32
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Nowadays AD's are really strict with who they sell the watches and unfortunately they have their own sort of screening and part of that screening is to buy non hot models to establish rapport. Very furtunate with my AD and I managed to get the Sports models that I liked.
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:06 PM   #33
dmash
"TRF" Member

Sam some real advice, let’s things settle for a few months, the new Sub was just announced. Right now things are sizzling and lots of speculation. Sub supply may be better than before due to Rolex supposedly dwindling down Sub 11 series allocations in anticipation of this release.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:07 PM   #34
bleighs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711 CHNR
I find the DJ36 too small if you are interested in the Sub at 40 or 41 inches. You asked for a Cermit though, it's a nice effort but almost an impossibility right now. A black sub might be easier?
bleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:11 PM   #35
Sam2710
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighs View Post
I find the DJ36 too small if you are interested in the Sub at 40 or 41 inches. You asked for a Cermit though, it's a nice effort but almost an impossibility right now. A black sub might be easier?
I didn't ask for a Cermit. I asked for any sub and was surprised to hear that the only sub they are accepting 'expression of interest' for right now is the LV!
Sam2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:19 PM   #36
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Can't say for sure, but a request for "any sub" might trip a flipper alarm.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:22 PM   #37
Sam2710
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Can't say for sure, but a request for "any sub" might trip a flipper alarm.
Sorry - I was being vague. I made it clear which colour was my main choice, but I did say that I would of course take any that become available.

Regardless - doesn't change the outcome. I'm quite sure they believe I'm not a flipper. I think it's just that I'm not a valued customer at the moment and they don't see enough future spend to allocate a piece.
Old 25 September 2020, 09:29 PM   #38
David001
Banned

Have you had a good look at the whole professional range properly?

The Sub is a nice watch, but it's the last Rolex I bought because I thought many others were nicer, I think the Yachtmaster is a much nicer looking watch and the Explorer 2 is more functional - both easier to get your hands on than a Sub.

I have no idea how easy they are to get hold of but I'd also rather have one of the new 41mm OPs than a DJ36.

You have a lot of choice with the amount of money you have.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:36 PM   #39
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
My AD doesn't even have SS DJ and DJ41 to sell me even if I want to bundle. They have a lot of 2-tone DJ, ladies DJ and Cellini though...
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:40 PM   #40
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
How to make things happen at a U.K. Rolex AD:

‘I’m not going to give you some drawn out story, only occasion I’m marking is big things happening. I’ll take a TT DJ for my wife, those gold earrings and that diamond DD40 if you can pull a green sub out of the safe right in the next 5 minutes.’

‘Right this way sir’
You could change it to “right this way sir, we have plenty of the new subs back here. Feel free to buy 2 or 3 of them. While you look I’ll be right back, I want to ask the owner if we can add one of those 5 Daytonas back there to the deal”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:40 PM   #41
Sam2710
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
Have you had a good look at the whole professional range properly?

The Sub is a nice watch, but it's the last Rolex I bought because I thought many others were nicer, I think the Yachtmaster is a much nicer looking watch and the Explorer 2 is more functional - both easier to get your hands on than a Sub.

I have no idea how easy they are to get hold of but I'd also rather have one of the new 41mm OPs than a DJ36.

You have a lot of choice with the amount of money you have.
I do like the Sea Dweller, but I doubt that'll come as a surprise if the Submariner is my number one choice. For some reason I'm not really fan of the Yachtmaster - I much prefer the GMT.

The explorer is nice, but I would prefer the DJ36 over the Explorer due to the fluted bezel. I really like the aesthetic that WG bezel provides.

The DJ36 truly is my second choice - I wasn't just saying that to try to convince the AD to let me on the Submariner list. I do really, really like it and I wouldn't be disappointed in any way if I purchased it.
Old 25 September 2020, 09:46 PM   #42
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2710 View Post

The DJ36 truly is my second choice - I wasn't just saying that to try to convince the AD to let me on the Submariner list. I do really, really like it and I wouldn't be disappointed in any way if I purchased it.
There you go then, maybe fate is telling you to buy a DJ.
I'd still wait 6 months to see what happens though.

Back when I bought my way into watch collecting it was the 90's and all I could afford was a secondhand 1970's Omega, so it hasn't been a short journey.
A DJ isn't a bad place to be at all.
Old 25 September 2020, 09:52 PM   #43
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

It sounds like a difficult experience but the silver lining is that the second AD was at least forthcoming. Although things were different a few years ago, it's very difficult in the current market to walk into an AD and buy a Submariner with no purchase history. My general guidance is don't buy things you don't enjoy because there's no guarantee the AD will offer the piece you want in return. And yes, you could flip the DJ but if the AD were to find out (it does happen), you'd lose that relationship. If going grey is cost prohibitive, I would explore other brands or just enjoy the nice Tudor you picked up
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:56 PM   #44
Sam2710
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC116710LN View Post
It sounds like a difficult experience but the silver lining is that the second AD was at least forthcoming. Although things were different a few years ago, it's very difficult in the current market to walk into an AD and buy a Submariner with no purchase history. My general guidance is don't buy things you don't enjoy because there's no guarantee the AD will offer the piece you want in return. And yes, you could flip the DJ but if the AD were to find out (it does happen), you'd lose that relationship. If going grey is cost prohibitive, I would explore other brands or just enjoy the nice Tudor you picked up
Thank you for the advice. I wouldn't want to flip the DJ36 - it is a remarkable watch and one I would love to keep forever. I doubt you could flip it anyway as they're apparently available to order from any AD. Would be unlikely to make your money back!
Old 25 September 2020, 10:07 PM   #45
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

What about a pre owned sub? And some ADs in the USA here you do need an appointment.
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:18 PM   #46
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have no experience in the UK market other than reading the posts from my fellow members. The situation in the UK seems to be reflective of what is going on in all of the large markets in the world. The AD's are in a unique position with Rolex and PP right now and they can dictate and you will dance. It is not personal, it is business and you do not qualify for a SS Sport model right now at msrp. Do we read posts on occasion where someone walks into an AD cold and get a SS Daytona-C, sure. But for that one story, I would believe there are hundreds of thousands or millions of inquires that do not work out. Yet, the customers keep coming on the almost non-existent hope that they will be the special person that gets through. It is like the lottery, someone is going to win, but it is not going to be you. We still play because there is a chance but not likely. It still comes down to the money. You can not buy the watch you want from an AD, ok, so go find it from a reputable dealer for the best price possible and buy it. Get on with the ownership experience, skip the watches that work or are fine and go get your Submariner. That simple. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:26 PM   #47
David001
Banned

Some ADs really don't have the stock.
I offered to buy my 3x daughters new TT DJs, and my wife a 37mm Yachtmaster all in one bundle but my Rose Gold Daytona needed to come as well - they said they don't have the Daytona, so it couldn't happen.
Old 25 September 2020, 10:43 PM   #48
Stevie..C
"TRF" Member

Consider pre-owned, perhaps submit offers for Subs at Greys and see who bites from there.

Then with your newly acquired Sub, take it to the local AD where you made enquiries and get them to size it for you.
Stevie..C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:44 PM   #49
LeftHookLacey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger67 View Post
The issue is they pulled you in to sell you the DJ36 and got grumpy when you didn't buy, try other AD's sometimes its just catching them at the right time, they're not all bad although i did think that at one time, good luck.
This has been my experience. It amazes me how retail workers can be so obnoxious when you don't want to spend thousands on something you don't want.
LeftHookLacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:55 PM   #50
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

i feel for you OP.

its utterly ridiculous to me that you have to beg to spend 10 grand.

most of the new buyers dont know or care about watches, they just want the hype and status they believe that comes with it

total snobbery in most of the ADs, what a waste of time
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:57 PM   #51
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester585 View Post
i feel for you OP.

its utterly ridiculous to me that you have to beg to spend 10 grand.

most of the new buyers dont know or care about watches, they just want the hype and status they believe that comes with it

total snobbery in most of the ADs, what a waste of time
Oh they’ll take your 10k happily.....just not always for exactly what you want
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:12 PM   #52
Sam2710
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie..C View Post
Consider pre-owned, perhaps submit offers for Subs at Greys and see who bites from there.

Then with your newly acquired Sub, take it to the local AD where you made enquiries and get them to size it for you.
Looks like the hopes of a sub lie within the grey market!

I do regularly check the grey market, although here in the UK the prices seem unusually high. For example, the cheapest sub date on watchfinder (3 years old or newer) is currently £12,450 (original retail price £6,550).

I know a lot of people would pay it, but personally I can't bring myself to pay virtually twice the retail price for a three year old watch. That's almost throwing away a new DJ36!
Old 25 September 2020, 11:14 PM   #53
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

I've been dreaming about my first Rolex for many years, however I've only recently been fortunate enough to have the funds available to begin my collection. Similar to so many others, I have desired a Submariner for so long and I would really like this to be my first Rolex.
Have discussed this with several ADs ....

They really want to sell to the first time buyer ,but the problem is :

Who is the serious buyer (potential repeat client )
Who is the flipper ?

That's their problem.It reflects very badly on them when that watch appears on a used site the next day.

I wish you luck ,especially in the UK .
I dont even bother to visit ADs in foreign countries when I travel .Exception was the Panerai Boutique on St Mark's square in Firenze ,Original Panerai shop .Life long dream to visit that spot .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:18 PM   #54
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Looks like the hopes of a sub lie within the grey market!

I do regularly check the grey market, although here in the UK the prices seem unusually high. For example, the cheapest sub date on watchfinder (3 years old or newer) is currently £12,450 (original retail price £6,550).

I know a lot of people would pay it, but personally I can't bring myself to pay virtually twice the retail price for a three year old watch. That's almost throwing away a new DJ36!
I can help you out with some trusted sellers who would be significantly lower than that if it helps (pm me if you want their details)?

Alternately why not bite the bullet on the DJ36?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:28 PM   #55
Sam2710
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I can help you out with some trusted sellers who would be significantly lower than that if it helps (pm me if you want their details)?

Alternately why not bite the bullet on the DJ36?
Thank you - I would really appreciate that.

Oh I will definitely be purchasing a DJ36 - it's just a matter of when
Old 26 September 2020, 12:46 AM   #56
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
[QUOTE=Nairn1980;10944064]I can help you out with some trusted sellers who would be significantly lower than that if it helps (pm me if you want their details)?

Well done Nairn.
Old 26 September 2020, 12:57 AM   #57
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Hello all,

The reply was a swift, harsh blow to that optimism.

'The wait for a submariner is so long that it has been closed for a long time. It is currently over 6-7 years. We will not be able to start taking expression of interest for another 2 years. You can get added to the expression of interest for the green dial LV only but it will be about 4 years as we only receive 4 pieces per year. I would advise that you invest in a more gettable model for now.'

I'm assuming they mean the green bezel? The watch has been available for less than a month yet they know how many they'll receive annually? Sorry for your experience. You'll find your sub, don't let them deter you on your search.
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:16 AM   #58
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

Move on to a different brand.
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:18 AM   #59
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The wait for a submariner is so long that it has been closed for a long time. It is currently over 6-7 years. We will not be able to start taking expression of interest for another 2 years. You can get added to the expression of interest for the green dial LV only but it will be about 4 years as we only receive 4 pieces per year. I would advise that you invest in a more gettable model for now.'

The AD gave you the advice you need to start the relationship. Buy something from the case. Oh yes I read your feelings about the SUB being my first. Start buying from the AD, spending time and money on pieces that are not your first choice but are still a Rolex, that you can enjoy and sell later. Keep buying and you will move up the list. or go get a pre owned 116610 or 114060 from the pre owned market, enjoy that and when you're ready to sell that you will probably get back what you paid for it. When a model gets discontinued the trade ins start coming in. so start looking for deals on the previous model because prices will never be lower. Or just pay a premium on a new SUB many listed for sale watch just introduced 25 days ago.
Old 26 September 2020, 01:48 AM   #60
Redadmiral2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 D-Blue
I’ve got a brilliant relationship with my ad and he said I would have to wait at least 2 years for the new submariner so I went grey and paid over retail.
I’ve bought many rolex watches at grey prices and sold them back to grey dealers to recoup bulk of money.
Redadmiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote