The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 September 2020, 01:16 AM   #91
BaliBryan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 RED, OP39,PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Correct. AP boutique at Crystals Las Vegas. Not getting any more, can't take my money because it will never be delivered etc.
This city is the worst for finding the hard to get pieces.
BaliBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:18 AM   #92
vcap826
"TRF" Member

This is almost a microcosm of the struggles and successes of Rolex as a brand. Your grandad didn’t care what anything looked like on Instagram and didn’t win your grandma with his encyclopedic knowledge of obscure watch brands, he just bought his Sub at the PX for $150 because he heard it was the best from other guys who had one.
vcap826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:21 AM   #93
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I agree with 42itus. Buyers are having their tastes synthetically swayed by the opinions of others. They lust after what others have said is unobtainable and consider a major life achievement beating others to “the draw” and posting on TRF an “incoming” for a variant deemed tough to acquire. Its become less about what your heart tells you and more what instagram/TRF tells you that you should buy. Sheep is a good analogy.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:27 AM   #94
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Correct. AP boutique at Crystals Las Vegas. Not getting any more, can't take my money because it will never be delivered etc.

Crazy... I just passed on a Black dial 15500 from the NYC boutique a few weeks back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 September 2020, 01:28 AM   #95
ChipotleBanana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Patek
This is what happens when idiots with too much money use no financial logic, follow hype as if it were God, and disregard actual value in the watch industry.
ChipotleBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:43 AM   #96
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soondooboo View Post
I may be in the small minority but I don't get the hype around the new subs at all.

The sub has always been a great every day watch and an anchor in any collection, but it's also always been a boring choice. To think that a normal sub date is going for $15K in the grey market and so hyped up is just plain confusing to me. I would much rather get a BLNR or spend a couple grand more for a BLRO.

And $24K for a sub with a green bezel? Would much rather go for an SS AP at that point.
There are some iconic watches that created a category by themselves, Omega's Speedmaster, Patek's Calatrava, AP's Royal Oak are good examples.

Rolex's Submariner is very much one of that small group of watches, it is an icon and will always be an icon, and every good watch collector should own one of these along with a Speedmaster.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:49 AM   #97
EDL7
"TRF" Member

If it werent for the internet..
No one would give a rats ass about the sub..
Or Daytona..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:56 AM   #98
atxishome
"TRF" Member

In the words of the great songwriter Bonnie Raitt “I can't make you love me if you don’t (signed the submariner)”
But someone will love you submariner, even if he won’t. ��
atxishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:59 AM   #99
onlysteel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
iPhone are boring, VW golf are boring, like so many things, yet people buy them because they are a gold standards.
VW Golf a gold standard? For what??
onlysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:59 AM   #100
just1time
"TRF" Member

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
A bunch of substantive and positive updates to an iconic, well-loved piece. Demand is much greater than supply. Hype explained.
Its Plain and simple Economics...The hype is simply following the laws of demand and Supply. Can happen with anything...even Air.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:02 AM   #101
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
As a proud owner of a 1 watch collection consisting of a black sub date, I couldn't be happier. It appeals to me because it is a classic, a watch that many others are modeled after.

I'd agree by saying it doesn't make me say WOOOWWWWWW every time I look at it, but for a daily, simple, practical watch, it is hard to beat.

$0.02
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:03 AM   #102
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxishome View Post
In the words of the great songwriter Bonnie Raitt “I can't make you love me if you don’t (signed the submariner)”
But someone will love you submariner, even if he won’t. ��
Great song, but I do actually prefer the George Michael version.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:07 AM   #103
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Ding ding ding, sheep mentality is strong in the watch game right now. Naysayers can stay in denial trying to justify their new mindsets, but Hulk and Nautilus are the biggest examples which come to mind as recently spoke of as being ‘ugly’.

We’ve been in hype levels so long it’s not even a ‘trendy’ thing so much anymore as it’s just become a blind following. This is around the point your original instigators of hype (celebrities/influencers) will start leaving the scene/moving to something else because it’s no longer cool when average Joe is now sporting it. Gotta stay fresh and on top of their game, these people don’t want to blend in with the masses.

We can deny it all we want but watches are a trendy fashion statement right now, it has nothing to do with horology. And even a lot of the new guys on the scene saying they ‘really are into watches’ will no longer be around once it’s not instafamous. Just the reality, people get caught up/obsessed and short sighted, it’s human nature
Sadly very true.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:19 AM   #104
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
I may be in the small minority but I don't get the hype around the new subs at all.

The sub has always been a great every day watch and an anchor in any collection, but it's also always been a boring choice. To think that a normal sub date is going for $15K in the grey market and so hyped up is just plain confusing to me. I would much rather get a BLNR or spend a couple grand more for a BLRO.

And $24K for a sub with a green bezel? Would much rather go for an SS AP at that point.
I can understand your point although I wouldn't say boring at all. Part of the purchase reason for many of us has an emotional aspect that can't be measured, or else we'd just buy a Timex. Most will agree that a Rolex watch you decided to buy is "special" to you for a myriad of reasons you can list out, even a simple DJ or OP which Rolex has managed to make more appealing.

In todays climate social media hype is real, and that adds another aspect to the equation, demand. Why so much demand, well partly so you can participate in the hype, post pictures, talk about it, people add likes, you are one of the "cool in" people. You don't want to miss out, fomo, don't be left out, play the game....
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:27 AM   #105
atxishome
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger67 View Post
Great song, but I do actually prefer the George Michael version.
George Michael was freakishly talented. Listen without prejudice is outstanding and then you see all the instruments he played. Wow!!
atxishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:35 AM   #106
Podmornica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I agree with 42itus. Buyers are having their tastes synthetically swayed by the opinions of others. They lust after what others have said is unobtainable and consider a major life achievement beating others to “the draw” and posting on TRF an “incoming” for a variant deemed tough to acquire. Its become less about what your heart tells you and more what instagram/TRF tells you that you should buy. Sheep is a good analogy.
Wise words, indeed! I find myself caught in this net .. If I imagine for a second that absolutely all Rolex watches are available to choose from, I would probably never go for the BLRO as my first choice, which is now the one and only watch I want, probably due to all the drama surrounding the availability.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:38 AM   #107
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Man people are tough. I get only the watches that are pleasing to my eye. Bluesy, black sub and blue datejust do the trick. If buying watches you like is being a sheep, then baa and proud of it!
Old 28 September 2020, 02:42 AM   #108
rolexonlywatch
Banned

Watch: DJ2 41mm Winbledon
Sub is a beautiful watch but I wouldn’t pay a ridiculous premium for it.

rolexonlywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:43 AM   #109
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

The sub is still boring - help me understand the hype

It’s just too bad because people who love these watches for real reasons can’t help but feel lumped in. I eventually would love to own a Pepsi dial because it’s the watch my camp director wore every year I went from 89 to 99. I always noticed it and loved it and he was one of the best humans I’ve ever known.

Also I’ve been lusting after a sub in stainless and black for the better part of 30 years and somehow I still look at it and the last word in my mind is bored.

I’m not disputing that there’s fanfare and some who are attracted to the flame of the moment, but it doesn’t take away from the classic nature and heritage of these items. There’s a reason they have stood the test of time for both functionality and style.

yisrael42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:52 AM   #110
Tele59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
Or Daytona..
I might add that only a very small percentage of people care about any watch, much less a sub. If you love it, that's enough. I don't control what others think, nor care.

The sub will outlast this generation and the next. If you can't understand the allure, that say's more about you than the watch.
Tele59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:59 AM   #111
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Seeing them everywhere and in every walk of life, some get the idea they are not “special” enough. For example, the valet at the Grand Floridian wore a SS Sub. It looked sharp on him. Then the concierge at the check in desk had a SS Sub on. I am a watch spotter so I notice this right away. It was like like Disney was giving Subs away.

Pretty smart move by the Orlando AD. The product placement advertising to a target audience of hundreds per week who are known to have $10K to burn is a great idea.
Old 28 September 2020, 03:04 AM   #112
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
The hype partially comes from the fact that if you can purchased any of the high demand models new Subs, LV, BLRO, Daytona, etc, you can flip them to end users or grey market and profit 30%-100%. I actually thought about working part-time at my local AD just so I could buy the models I want to own.

I believe this hype has increased forum traffic recently. I guess that is a good thing.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:09 AM   #113
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
Or Daytona..
Except for the fact that the sub was popular before the internet. Rolex marketing along with James Bond, sub is the most popular watch of all time. If there was no internet one can make a case it would even be more popular as other watches would be way behind Rolex marketing.
Old 28 September 2020, 04:28 AM   #114
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Except for the fact that the sub was popular before the internet. Rolex marketing along with James Bond, sub is the most popular watch of all time. If there was no internet one can make a case it would even be more popular as other watches would be way behind Rolex marketing.
Exactly and so was the Daytona, Day Date and Date Just. All extremely popular before the internet.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:33 AM   #115
lastshotkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:

IMHO it is not boring and I think it is a really cool watch, but I agree about what you think are better options at that price point.

lastshotkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:38 AM   #116
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Lots of people enjoy what everyone else wants.

Very few people know exactly what is they they want.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:43 AM   #117
ThatSubGuy
Banned

I think you're confusing market with retail prices
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:47 AM   #118
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yisrael42 View Post
It’s just too bad because people who love these watches for real reasons can’t help but feel lumped in. I eventually would love to own a Pepsi dial because it’s the watch my camp director wore every year I went from 89 to 99. I always noticed it and loved it and he was one of the best humans I’ve ever known.

Also I’ve been lusting after a sub in stainless and black for the better part of 30 years and somehow I still look at it and the last word in my mind is bored.

I’m not disputing that there’s fanfare and some who are attracted to the flame of the moment, but it doesn’t take away from the classic nature and heritage of these items. There’s a reason they have stood the test of time for both functionality and style.

I honestly think that looking at some 5 digit options would be good for you. Forget the new stuff. The 5 digit subs and GMTs are full of character.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:52 AM   #119
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
It’s a classic, iconic watch that is a great “one watch” choice.

It works with suits.
It works with slacks and a shirt.
It works with jeans and any shirt.
It works with shorts and a tee.
It works at a desk
It works at home with the kids.
It works working around the house.

There are many better watches for each of the above. But the Sub is one of those watches that is appropriately in almost all situations.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:56 AM   #120
Big Sexy
"TRF" Member

Sub is timeless and classic. My favorite Rolex. Granted I wouldn’t pay the current price for one. My 116610 was purchased second hand in 2017 minty for 6500 out the door. For around that 7500 mark you can’t do better than a sub imho.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote