The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2020, 07:31 PM   #211
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I think the OP is confusing “boring” and “basic” Hey, if he doesn’t get charged by the sub, then of course, he has a right to his opinion and should wear whichever watch he wants. But I believe some people may be turned off by the sub’s.... uh... “basicness” (Yeah, I know it’s not a real word but work with me here). For example, my SkyDweller is a complication. It shows time, date, month and second time zone. It is set by rotating the bezel, and I still screw it up whenever I have to re-set everything (an excellent watch to demonstrate the need for winders). The sub, is a watch that tells the time and date. There are no frills or extravagant add-ons. I personally think this is one of the attractions, it will last forever and IMHO never go out of style, but in the big world of things, it is a well-made basic diving watch. Some watch people just to not find any attraction to that.
I think you are correct Paul.
Old 29 September 2020, 08:50 PM   #212
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soondooboo View Post
... Nothing excites me about the sub, and most people would agree with me,...
I agree with you that nothing about the Sub excites you. You did start a thread about it but I'm sure that means nothing.

Do post pics once you get yours.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:52 PM   #213
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soondooboo View Post
I may be in the small minority but I don't get the hype around the new subs at all.

The sub has always been a great every day watch and an anchor in any collection, but it's also always been a boring choice. To think that a normal sub date is going for $15K in the grey market and so hyped up is just plain confusing to me. I would much rather get a BLNR or spend a couple grand more for a BLRO.

And $24K for a sub with a green bezel? Would much rather go for an SS AP at that point.
Get a BLRO or BLNR, or both...
What you find boring or what you prefer to buy with your money, is your business !

What I want also to say is that the AP is weakly waterproof, and more of a jewel than a watch (shiny side).
Not comparable with a Rolex diver, even if over time they use more high-end materials, it remains robust and versatile.

Besides, it's weird that you don't understand the Rolex market, since AP's is the same, if not worse (availability and price doubling / tripling)?!?!
When you have nothing to say, it's better to be silent. Rolex bashing again...

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:55 PM   #214
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
The sub is still boring - help me understand the hype

Classic, wonderfully made, bulletproof tool watch.

Personally, I think it’s overpriced even at MSRP. The hype is driven by a collective “fear of missing out” mentality that is now pervasive and fueled by an artificial lack of supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 12:10 AM   #215
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
You know what is not boring? An Apple Watch.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:59 AM   #216
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

I'm with OP. Many times I've been offered a sub, sub date, LV, or TT bluesey and it didnt do it for me. I was unimpressed. And I passed. The GMT is way more appealing to me. And I have 2 (116710BLNR and 126710BLRO). All of my logic would dictate its better to have a sub and a gmt than 2 gmt's... but i cant get myself to buy it. Totally and uterly boring to me. Icon yes. Classic yes. Boring... absolutely. Green is not my color; standard black in uninteresting, the blue dial is appealing but i'm not a TT or WG guy. Pass. Easily.
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:15 AM   #217
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaya View Post
I'm with OP. Many times I've been offered a sub, sub date, LV, or TT bluesey and it didnt do it for me. I was unimpressed. And I passed. The GMT is way more appealing to me. And I have 2 (116710BLNR and 126710BLRO). All of my logic would dictate its better to have a sub and a gmt than 2 gmt's... but i cant get myself to buy it. Totally and uterly boring to me. Icon yes. Classic yes. Boring... absolutely. Green is not my color; standard black in uninteresting, the blue dial is appealing but i'm not a TT or WG guy. Pass. Easily.
I am the opposite. I can always get GMTs more easy from my AD and always pass. Can’t stand the big numbers on the bezel, too busy for me. I don’t think either are boring, but I do think GMTs are kinda weird looking. If I had to have, would be the Batman because I like the black and blue bezel and the numbers don’t appear as much overly loud to me for some reason on it.
Old 30 September 2020, 05:22 AM   #218
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
You know what is not boring? An Apple Watch.
Actually I had the series 6 in SS for a grand 18 hours. Returned it faster than I expected. Thought the Milanese loop would do it for me, but I still think it looks cheap on the wrist, and the bugs were legion.

I did enjoy, however, having a BLRO and Sub LV at both the same time.

Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:13 PM   #219
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Great comparison and great explanation. I don’t have a car, but if I did it would be a 911. And I’ve been wearing Submariners for over 20 years, the sheep that I am.
Thanks! The 911-Sub similarities make the appeal of both so easy to understand.

You heard it here first folks! His first car will be a 911! I've been beholden to SUVs and muscle cars, but the 911 is definitely on my list to own at some point!
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 08:16 AM   #220
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Had the opportunity to handle a new black sub with date today. Man, it’s so much nicer with the thinner lugs. Based on pics, I had been worried about the wider bracelet, but fortunately that’s really a nonissue. I had a list of vintage and out of production Rolex that I’ve been wanting but honestly if I get a call about one of these it will be very difficult to pass on it.

Best Rolex since they quit making the 5 digit case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 02:34 PM   #221
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
If it werent for the internet..
No one would give a rats ass about the sub..
Or Daytona..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
Pretty sure that the sub and in particular the Daytona were popular before Mr Berners-Lee.
How old are you ELD7? When I started Scuba Diving in 1970 The Submariner was the standard for a dive watch. That was over 20 years before the Internet. I finally got a used Sub in the late 1970's and in 1983 or so my first new Seadweller. My Buddie at the time had always wanted a GMT and he bought one then as well. Things like this forum have very little to do with the popularity of any Rolex watch.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote