The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 September 2020, 12:19 PM   #1
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
SubC 126610LN redundant in my collection?

I currently have the SD4K 116600 and the 126711CHNR Root Beer as part of my small collection. I love the tech and utility behind the 116600 and the lug proportions. However, since getting the Root Beer, I find myself wearing that more due to the lower profile, which I find more comfortable for day to day. The 116600 just has a slightly thicker caseback, which causes it to sit higher on the wrist and feel more top heavy. I save the SD4K these days for times that call for more of a tool watch, such as more active days where I don't want to put excessive wear on the rose gold of the CHNR, or when I'm spending time in the water, just because it seems appropriate for its DNA.

Now that the new Sub is out with better lug proportions, I have been contemplating that, as I will probably be more likely to wear it on more casual days, and use the CHNR on slightly less casual times. However, would it be redundant or purposeless to have 2 very similar dive watches, just with slightly different wear characteristics?

I have given a few minutes of thought into trading the SD4K, which should cover the cost of a new SubC. However, as my wife pointed out, I may have future regrets in doing so, as I purchased the SD4K in Japan during a fairly memorable family trip there. And I partially purchased it at the time using leftover Yen that my late grandmother had given me at the time.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 12:34 PM   #2
David001
Banned

Buy the Sub, keep the SD4k, see how you get on for a year, you won't lose any money if you have to unload one in 12 months time.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 12:42 PM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

I even think a Sub and a GMT are redundant. It’s practically the same dial, almost to a tee. That would be super boring to me if you only have a 2-3 piece collection to begin.

Just my 2c!
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
I currently have the SD4K 116600 and the 126711CHNR Root Beer as part of my small collection. I love the tech and utility behind the 116600 and the lug proportions. However, since getting the Root Beer, I find myself wearing that more due to the lower profile, which I find more comfortable for day to day. The 116600 just has a slightly thicker caseback, which causes it to sit higher on the wrist and feel more top heavy. I save the SD4K these days for times that call for more of a tool watch, such as more active days where I don't want to put excessive wear on the rose gold of the CHNR, or when I'm spending time in the water, just because it seems appropriate for its DNA.

Now that the new Sub is out with better lug proportions, I have been contemplating that, as I will probably be more likely to wear it on more casual days, and use the CHNR on slightly less casual times. However, would it be redundant or purposeless to have 2 very similar dive watches, just with slightly different wear characteristics?

I have given a few minutes of thought into trading the SD4K, which should cover the cost of a new SubC. However, as my wife pointed out, I may have future regrets in doing so, as I purchased the SD4K in Japan during a fairly memorable family trip there. And I partially purchased it at the time using leftover Yen that my late grandmother had given me at the time.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

First and foremost, the Sd4k is debatably the greatest ceramic diver (or ceramic sports watch) Rolex has made. I would personally not trade it even for both the new LV and LN models packaged together.

Per your direct question...To my wife, the Sd4K ad SubC are redundant. To any WIS, they are not redundant at all. IMO, both have a place in a collection (what a great collection that would be).
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:59 PM   #5
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Keep SD4K and get a new ceramic Kermit instead of new Sub LN

Then you can have both without it being the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 03:53 PM   #6
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

My 2 cents are; either move away from bezelled watches for diversity, or throw in an older diver. Lose the date if you're not using it all the time.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 12:54 AM   #7
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have given some thought into moving away from the bezeled watches for some diversity.

Basically, where I stand now is this...

1. Daytona Ceramic...on the list like everyone else, but highly doubtful I will get the call anytime soon. My purchases at the AD include the ALS Saxonia Thin 37, the CHNR, cufflinks, a Bulgari bracelet for my wife, and a Tudor Black Bay 32 for her. Also, two buddies got a Sub date and ND through me as well.

2. AP RO 15500...sort of my grail piece, but out of touch for me now. I have thought about forgetting any other watch purchase for a while so this will be more obtainable.

3. I wouldn't mind having another true "tool" watch for work. I am an ER nurse, so I need something that can be washed off easily. So no leather or fabric straps. Would prefer a date cause I do look up the date quite a bit. Also would prefer not to have a recognizable luxury brand like Rolex, only because random patients often will stare right at my wrist as I'm doing things such as IVs. I'd rather just eliminate any extra factor that makes me a target, which includes lawsuits for frivolous things.
Old 29 September 2020, 01:53 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I don’t think it would be redundant at all, but I love divers soooo....
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 09:40 AM   #9
zjd168
"TRF" Member

it is in a 3-watch collection
no if you plan to have 10+
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 09:50 AM   #10
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Coming from a sub guy, with your 2 watches and the nice story behind your SD, keep both and buy a different watch. I think you got the itch to buy another and you are seeing lots of new sub posts. Your watch is very similar.
Old 29 September 2020, 10:08 AM   #11
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Definitely keep the SD4k
A Sub is too redundant

Get a beater G Shock for work, and save for the 15500!
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:14 AM   #12
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
I don’t think it’s too redundant. A lot of people have many many many Subs, GMTs, Explorers, Daytona’s, etc etc.

I’ve got a couple SeaDwellers, Subs, both Explorers, etc however I’d keep the SDK. Short run period and an all around great watch by Rolex.

Just add the Sub
Old 29 September 2020, 10:41 AM   #13
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Keep the SD4K and the CHNR. If you can get the Sub for MSRP, do it as you can have it for a year or so and lose nothing and then decide whether it is redundant or not. If you have to pay market value, don't.

As for tool watch. You need less recognizable brands. But what is your budget. You can spend as little as $50 on a G-Shock or as much as over $10k on a Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date. If we're keeping within the Rolex family Tudor might be the way to go.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:44 AM   #14
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Don’t sell that SD4K !!!!

I have a SD4K, SD43, Sub, Sub Date, LV, Bluesy. I can’t judge for having two dive watch types. Get the Sub.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:50 AM   #15
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Make yourself wear the SD. You will get used to the different feel from your other watch. To me, it is silly to have 2 such similar divers. If you are just itching for a new piece, get the 41 DJ, if you can find one.
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:14 PM   #16
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for the additional suggestions. Definitely going to keep the SD4K in the end...it would very likely pain me too much to sell.

I actually have a G-Shock I use for work now, but it's giving me the fits. I cannot deal with any digital or smart watches, so I am trying to move away from that. I guess the watch lover in me still wants a mechanical piece, even at work. I will just use the G-Shock for certain activities like cycling or working out.

As for budget, I guess it depends on how much I love the watch. I have given thought to one of the IWC Pilot Mark XVIII's. Love the classic look of those, and if paired with a rubber strap, it should be sufficient for washing under a sink. But as mentioned, I don't want to spend too much on a piece I don't absolutely LOVE, as it would slow down my progress of working towards the AP RO.
Old 30 September 2020, 02:41 AM   #17
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
Thanks again for the additional suggestions. Definitely going to keep the SD4K in the end...it would very likely pain me too much to sell.

I actually have a G-Shock I use for work now, but it's giving me the fits. I cannot deal with any digital or smart watches, so I am trying to move away from that. I guess the watch lover in me still wants a mechanical piece, even at work. I will just use the G-Shock for certain activities like cycling or working out.

As for budget, I guess it depends on how much I love the watch. I have given thought to one of the IWC Pilot Mark XVIII's. Love the classic look of those, and if paired with a rubber strap, it should be sufficient for washing under a sink. But as mentioned, I don't want to spend too much on a piece I don't absolutely LOVE, as it would slow down my progress of working towards the AP RO.
Completely understand about digital watches, I much prefer analog.

More analog G Shocks have come out in the past few years.

This is my G beater (MTG B1000 XB)

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote