The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2020, 08:19 PM   #1
RollieAsia
"TRF" Member

Shall I go down the route of GreyMarket?

Hi guys
I need 1 more watch to complete my collection of Rolexs before i start the next brand. This is an expensive habit haha.
But ive always bought from ADs but the Daytona is a no go regardless of the relationships with ADs. I want a black ceramic and the price on greymarket is circa double. But ive bought all at the rolex price so would still be in profit if i ever needed to sell.
I bought my green sub at £6050.
Shall i do it?
Current collection below:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RollieAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:22 PM   #2
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Could get a gold one from AD?
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:23 PM   #3
ThatSubGuy
Banned

You got a blue sky-dweller but can't get a Daytona from your AD?
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:24 PM   #4
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I’d get the DD before worrying about a Daytona. Would be easier on you and available at an AD + cost ~10K more than you’ll pay for a 116500 @ grey price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:29 PM   #5
bathducks123
"TRF" Member

If price is no issue why bother waiting. Assuming your from Asia (south east), chances of getting sports Rolexes at RRP (regardless of AD or Grey) are lesser than being struck by lightning.

Unless of course, you have a big portfolio with the AD, which again meaning price is never the issue.
bathducks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:34 PM   #6
RollieAsia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’d get the DD before worrying about a Daytona. Would be easier on you and available at an AD + cost ~10K more than you’ll pay for a 116500 @ grey price

I know some may find this weird but as a muslim man we are forbidden to were gold otherwise id love a day date witu green dial.

Old 29 September 2020, 08:35 PM   #7
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP
I think you have summarized your position quite well, the price of the SS Daytona in the grey market would be double msrp. If you have that kind of money to spend with no regret, then go for it. I don’t think a forum can tell you how to spend your money. Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:37 PM   #8
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khurum0786 View Post
I know some may find this weird but as a muslim man we are forbidden to were gold otherwise id love a day date witu green dial.

You do know that all indices are 18k gold? The bezel on your Skydweller is 18k white gold.

I guess there's an exception to every rule
Old 29 September 2020, 08:38 PM   #9
RollieAsia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
You do know that all indices are 18k gold? The bezel on your Skydweller is 18k white gold.

I guess there's an exception to every rule

Yes as its only a small percentage of the watch and not the whole watch. Whereas in the day date it all gold.
They should release a stainless steel day date haha

Old 29 September 2020, 08:39 PM   #10
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
SS Daytona at Grey is too much over price.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:41 PM   #11
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Yes as its only a small percentage of the watch and not the whole watch. Whereas in the day date it all gold.
They should release a stainless steel day date haha

There's a platinum Day-date for you then. I wonder where the rule is that a small percentage of gold is ok?
Old 29 September 2020, 08:41 PM   #12
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Understand - then this one might fill out the collection without a problem.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:43 PM   #13
RollieAsia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's a platinum Day-date for you then. I wonder where the rule is that a small percentage of gold is ok?

Thats what ive read online let me find the link.

Old 29 September 2020, 08:44 PM   #14
RollieAsia
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Im not rich lol.
Thats toooooooo expensive.
Ive bought these as a way of investing for my children also.

Old 29 September 2020, 08:54 PM   #15
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Shall I go down the route of GreyMarket?

No, do not pay 2X MSRP for a hyped watch

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 09:01 PM   #16
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Aint no way, Aint no freakin way! Please dont feed em greymonsters! The more you feed them the more they become hungry...pls...
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 09:08 PM   #17
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Thats what ive read online let me find the link.

I find it hard to believe that there would be any actual writing mentioning "if containing a small percentage of gold, it's ok to wear" :-)

It's very much either you wear something gold, or you don't.

Of course you can find plenty mentioning of jewelry websites that "sometimes" it's okay. Even if it's gold "plated" then it's okay. Again, those would be websites from jewelers trying to sell their products.

"Here we would present some allah jewelry for your choice to match are Muslim Men NOT Allowed to Wear Gold." <- I particularly liked this one.

If we're going deeper then:

The Prophet (saws) took silk and held it in his right hand, and took gold and held it in his left hand and said: both of these are prohibited to the males of my community.

The Prophet (saw) did not specifically mention the reasons why gold and its ornaments are prohibited for the males of the muslim community but many eminent scholars in islam have given several opinions in their search for the wisdom and hikmah behind this prohibition. They have stated that it could be because of the segregation of sexes in islam, it could be because gold and silk were (and are) considered the epitome of luxury in this world and by displaying them openly would lead to arrogance and flamboyance or simply because Allah specifically mentions in the Holy Quran that the believers will be adorned with gold and silk in paradise and thus he (saws) wanted the believers to always prefer the life of the hereafter to the life of luxury of this world.

Others believe gold jewelry is the exclusive articles for women only. Men shouldn't imitate women in order to keep men' masculinity.

Wearing a Rolex watch would definitely be the epitome of displaying wealth, regardless if gold or not.

As long as you feel you can keep your masculinity while wearing gold, I'd say you don't need to worry. I'm sure there are plenty of other rules that are also not being followed, so once could ask why is this one so important?
Old 29 September 2020, 09:24 PM   #18
vh2k
"TRF" Member

If you like buying new from an AD, buy a TT Daytona and move on.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:48 PM   #19
RollieAsia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that there would be any actual writing mentioning "if containing a small percentage of gold, it's ok to wear" :-)

Of course you can find plenty mentioning of jewelry websites that "sometimes" it's okay. Even if it's gold "plated" then it's okay. Again, those would be websites from jewelers trying to sell their products.

"Here we would present some allah jewelry for your choice to match are Muslim Men NOT Allowed to Wear Gold." &lt;- I particularly liked this one.

The Prophet (saws) took silk and held it in his right hand, and took gold and held it in his left hand and said: both of these are prohibited to the males of my community.

The Prophet (saw) did not specifically mention the reasons why gold and its ornaments are prohibited for the males of the muslim community but many eminent scholars in islam have given several opinions in their search for the wisdom and hikmah behind this prohibition. They have stated that it could be because of the segregation of sexes in islam, it could be because gold and silk were (and are) considered the epitome of luxury in this world and by displaying them openly would lead to arrogance and flamboyance or simply because Allah specifically mentions in the Holy Quran that the believers will be adorned with gold and silk in paradise and thus he (saws) wanted the believers to always prefer the life of the hereafter to the life of luxury of this world.

Others believe gold jewelry is the exclusive articles for women only. Men shouldn't imitate women in order to keep men' masculinity.

Wearing a Rolex watch would definitely be the epitome of displaying wealth, regardless if gold or not.

As long as you feel you can keep your masculinity while wearing gold, I'd say you don't need to worry. I'm sure there are plenty of other rules that are also not being followed, so once could ask why is this one so important?

Love this. Allhumdulillah i follow all the rules my brother as a practicing Muslim. As much as my knowledge allows me to.
Funnily enough the watches with gold (sky dweller and date just 41) i do not wear at all. They are unworn part of my collection.
My daily is the green sub and blnr even though the blnr hasnt been worn since mid 2019.

Even though what i read sort of justified wearing one inside i still always felt it as being wrong.

Old 29 September 2020, 10:49 PM   #20
RollieAsia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
If you like buying new from an AD, buy a TT Daytona and move on.

Whats a TT daytona?

Old 29 September 2020, 10:51 PM   #21
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whats a TT daytona?
https://www.rolex.com/watches/cosmog...6503-0001.html

Two Tone
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:54 PM   #22
chlgpm
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
If the black dial Daytona is the only watch left to complete your collection, then I say go for it! I don’t think the extra premium will make even a small dent to your wallet.
chlgpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:57 PM   #23
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
TT = Two Tone (steel and gold).

BTW it's not allowed to talk about religion on this forum (see rule 6 of the forum rules).
Old 29 September 2020, 10:57 PM   #24
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlgpm View Post
I don’t think the extra premium will make even a small dent to your wallet.
You know, even just 5 years ago I’d see this collection and agree, but now you’d be surprised. I know a guy right now who has almost his entire retirement in wristwatches and a few grand is definitely a lot of money to him. People aren’t buying these as hobbies anymore with excess money, they’re buying them as stores of value. Crazy times!

*Not saying this is you OP, just using as an example
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 11:58 PM   #25
ibz_s_b
"TRF" Member

Quote:

"Here we would present some allah jewelry for your choice to match are Muslim Men NOT Allowed to Wear Gold." <- I particularly liked this one.

Some Muslim men are of the opinion that any gold is forbidden, some say a small percentage is fine and some say as long as the gold isn't touching your skin it's ok i.e. a SS datejust with a WG fluted bezel.

You're right not everyone will follow this rule, I have strong faith, observe my five daily prayers etc but I choose to wear my 126233 TT DJ every now and again. Each to their own I guess!

OP - I find it amazing that after everything you've bought from AD they can't offer you a Daytona!
ibz_s_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 12:03 AM   #26
RollieAsia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_s_b View Post
Some Muslim men are of the opinion that any gold is forbidden, some say a small percentage is fine and some say as long as the gold isn't touching your skin it's ok i.e. a SS datejust with a WG fluted bezel.

You're right not everyone will follow this rule, I have strong faith, observe my five daily prayers etc but I choose to wear my 126233 TT DJ every now and again. Each to their own I guess!

OP - I find it amazing that after everything you've bought from AD they can't offer you a Daytona!

SubhanAllah this was what i was trying to say also. There is loads of muftis with loads of different opinions. Fatwas even.
Ive bought alot more haha for friends and family also all from the same AD.
Let me message him actually.

Old 30 September 2020, 12:07 AM   #27
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

If gold is out, then maybe platinum? =)
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 12:26 AM   #28
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea

Go WG !!!!

jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 12:30 AM   #29
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Seems like your AD has got you some pretty incredible and difficult to obtain pieces... maybe wait it out and they will come through.
Old 30 September 2020, 12:35 AM   #30
RollieAsia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Seems like your AD has got you some pretty incredible and difficult to obtain pieces... maybe wait it out and they will come through.

Hes an amazing guy and always comes through. But honestly the Daytona is just too high in demand.