The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2020, 09:54 PM   #1
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Nearing Discontinued Production of Platinum Daytona 116506

I love my Platona...prices up or down, it is an absolute stunner when seen in person and I will forever keep it.

While I have seen posts discussing the rapid increase in prices for this piece, I have been simultaneously and repeatedly fielding the question as to wether Rolex will stop production of the Platona soon. The individuals asking are seasoned collectors (and dealers) hence I find the repeated question by such individuals of interest. Further, I should say the question is typically framed more so as something of a fact to reflect on.

The question is valid, as for Rolex to keep producing the Daytona’s 50th anniversary watch (or any Rolex watch celebrating an anniversary) in perpetuity goes against their ethos. I also appreciate this conversation is conjecture until it actually happens, albeit I agree that it will happen at some point, likely sooner than later simply by applying their historic production time cycle on similar pieces...that being said, whatever the outcome I will just keep enjoying my time wearing it because I simply like it.

My question to the forum: Do you believe the Rolex Platinum Daytona aka the ‘Platona’ is nearing production discontinuation and why?
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:11 PM   #2
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I don’t think so.
Old 29 September 2020, 10:16 PM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think so. My inference points are how long the kermit and hulk were in production. But nearing is all relative on what they decide. Is it 1, 2, 3, 4 years away? It's surely closer to discontinuation than it is for another 10 year cycle.

Additionaly, the diamond version indicates there will likely always be a platinum version in the mix and they are willing to release new dials and configurations.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 11:20 PM   #4
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
I spend a fair amount of time on here and I wasn’t even aware that the platona was a 50th anniversary watch.

There’s absolutely no reason to believe production will stop until there is a major revamp of the Daytona line, and there’s no reason to believe that is coming soon either. There’s still plenty of room to modernize the current line (eg ceramic bezels on gold bracelet Daytonas).
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 11:45 PM   #5
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

This is the way rumors start
Old 30 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #6
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Rolex changes all models if you wait long enough.
Since they don’t disclose any info nobody knows when
Old 30 September 2020, 12:23 AM   #7
330ci
"TRF" Member

I thought when they introduced it, it was because of the anniversary. but I also thought being the second oyster model to be introduced in platinum, it was here to stay.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 12:35 AM   #8
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Rolex will at some point make some design changes to the Daytona in general, wether it’s the size, lugs, bracelet etc. it will be a little while as the ceramic craze is still hot. The platinum version is no different, it will follow. They won’t go away, they will more than likely make subtle changes.

This is based entirely on my speculative opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 12:42 AM   #9
The Continental
Banned

Eventually........
The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 11:38 AM   #10
georgekart
"TRF" Member

50th anniversary Sub was produced for what? 7 years? And even then replaced by a new model. If Platona is being discontinued, we're seeing 126506 replace it soon after.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 01:51 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
A color change would be welcome. And at least give it solid sub dials.

As is it’s still a stunner on the wrist.

The way Rolex seems to be doing things I imagine it will remain around until the entire Daytona line gets redone. While I believe it’s overdue for that, sales say otherwise.
Old 30 September 2020, 02:04 PM   #12
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Hope so. It will be awesome to see a platinum with a true panda dial.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:04 PM   #13
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Nearing Discontinued Production of Platinum Daytona 116506

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
This is the way rumors start

Per my initial post, that boat apparently sailed a while ago....

The context for my question is that sometimes during pointless conference calls I will just ‘tune out’ the conversational white noise and think about watches amongst other things....in this case while wearing my Platona this AM, I queried on the forum about this piece, but moreover I started wondering wether Rolex will have anniversary edition pieces for every model, what they might look like, how long they might produce them for, etc. Curious what their trends might look like moving forward...somewhat playing the imagination game as to what the future beholds.

Old 30 September 2020, 04:27 PM   #14
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Would guess that they’d incorporate the ceramic bezels onto the full gold models at some point - and then discontinue the 116506. Don’t expect a new platinum Daytona at all to be honest I think itd just be gone. Can imagine some absolutely crazy prices on this one after that happens.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:32 PM   #15
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

I can see them adjusting the dial slightly. If Platinum, it will have the Ice Blue dial (unless they make a Rolex-wide adjustment), so some variant on the current iterations. Technically it already has adjusted slightly, correct? Do we still call this the 50th anniversary just because it's platinum? i.e., the slightly different diamond dial...

Last edited by MRPWRPATX21; 30 September 2020 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Too Fast
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:36 PM   #16
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Would guess that they’d incorporate the ceramic bezels onto the full gold models at some point - and then discontinue the 116506. Don’t expect a new platinum Daytona at all to be honest I think itd just be gone. Can imagine some absolutely crazy prices on this one after that happens.
If the DD is the top of the line classic/dress watch, and the Daytona is the top of the line sport watch, I can definitely see them having a Platinum version of each in perpetuity. Would almost seem odd if they didn't, at this point.
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:42 PM   #17
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPWRPATX21 View Post
If the DD is the top of the line classic/dress watch, and the Daytona is the top of the line sport watch, I can definitely see them having a Platinum version of each in perpetuity. Would almost seem odd if they didn't, at this point.

They do go well together...

Old 30 September 2020, 04:49 PM   #18
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheaven View Post
They do go well together...

Only thing that puts me off that day date is the lack of a fluted bezel - really understates it which is great if that’s what you want. Nice watches
Old 30 September 2020, 05:06 PM   #19
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Only thing that puts me off that day date is the lack of a fluted bezel - really understates it which is great if that’s what you want. Nice watches

Smooth bezel is unique to the platinum day date, as is the dial. Ironically, it something that attracted me to it. Different strokes for different folks, which is a big reason why I like this forum. Cheers

Old 30 September 2020, 05:11 PM   #20
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Smooth bezel is unique to the platinum day date, as is the dial. Ironically, it something that attracted me to it. Different strokes for different folks, which is a big reason why I like this forum. Cheers

Yeah I have the platinum Daytona with diamonds. They’re a lovely watch to wear that weight really makes it feel special. I have never tried on the PT DD if truth
Be told but I do own a WG and YG one.
Old 30 September 2020, 05:15 PM   #21
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I have the platinum Daytona with diamonds. They’re a lovely watch to wear that weight really makes it feel special. I have never tried on the PT DD if truth
Be told but I do own a WG and YG one.

There you go then

Old 30 September 2020, 05:27 PM   #22
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
50th anniversary Sub was produced for what? 7 years? And even then replaced by a new model. If Platona is being discontinued, we're seeing 126506 replace it soon after.

So if 7 years is a typical run for Anniversary Editions (anyone feel free to correct me on this). Then maybe Platona 2013 - 2020? It’s like trying to figure out a puzzle...

Old 30 September 2020, 05:29 PM   #23
Ihatecheese
Banned

I don’t see why they would discontinue unless they brought out a new improved version. Similar to the subs etc. It already has the newer movement in though right ? I wouldn’t worry personally if I loved my watch and didn’t care if prices go up down !
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 10:05 PM   #24
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Per my initial post, that boat apparently sailed a while ago....

The context for my question is that sometimes during pointless conference calls I will just ‘tune out’ the conversational white noise and think about watches amongst other things....in this case while wearing my Platona this AM, I queried on the forum about this piece, but moreover I started wondering wether Rolex will have anniversary edition pieces for every model, what they might look like, how long they might produce them for, etc. Curious what their trends might look like moving forward...somewhat playing the imagination game as to what the future beholds.

I was just kidding. I know nothing about this watch, I have a friend who has one and the first time I saw him wearing it a few years ago, it left me breathless for a moment.

All the best!
Old 1 October 2020, 10:39 AM   #25
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So if 7 years is a typical run for Anniversary Editions (anyone feel free to correct me on this). Then maybe Platona 2013 - 2020? It’s like trying to figure out a puzzle...

The Kermit was only discontinued because the Sub line got updated as a whole. Similarly, until the Daytonas get updated, they aren't discontinuing the Platona.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 11:41 AM   #26
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
The Kermit was only discontinued because the Sub line got updated as a whole. Similarly, until the Daytonas get updated, they aren't discontinuing the Platona.

Interesting...so if I use the Kermit as a test case. The 16610LV was produced 2003–2010, which is 7 years, then they changed the line. I suppose this raises the question if they might change the Daytona line presuming the 7 year theory holds true(?). Are there any Anniversary editions that were NOT produced for 7 years followed by changing the line?...not saying I am right, rather I am trying to validate or invalidate wether this holds true.

Old 1 October 2020, 11:56 AM   #27
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Never thought about until you mentioned it. I would think a slightly larger size could be in the works, like a true 41mm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 12:18 PM   #28
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Never thought about until you mentioned it. I would think a slightly larger size could be in the works, like a true 41mm.

I could see them slightly revising. They just did it with the sub, so anything is fair game.

Old 1 October 2020, 12:22 PM   #29
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
I could see them slightly revising. They just did it with the sub, so anything is fair game.

Exactly...

Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 12:26 PM   #30
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Hope so!