The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2009, 05:54 PM   #1
stat
"TRF" Member

Bracelet Screws or Link threads Damaged?

Sorry for the stupid question but after doing some bracelet adjustments I found myself applying a decent amount of pressure to each screw. I wanted them to be tight but I'm wondering if they are too tight? Am I causing more harm than good? I don't feel like I stripped anything and the screw heads don't look damaged but should I back them out and screw them back in with a little less force. I know people say not to screw down the crown too tightly so I wanted to know if the links or screws were susceptible to damage. Again, sorry for this rather dumb question. My first Rolex and first time I've done any watch adjustments. Just really paranoid. Thanks in advance!
stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 06:01 PM   #2
SDDS
"TRF" Member

its not a stupid question Stat..we r here to ask questions and try to look for answers..first of all congratulations on ur first Rolex..to answer ur question..ur right u should not apply alot of pressure on the screw to make it tight..for me i apply a decent pressure but not too much..but remember Rolex screws are very strong...
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 06:01 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stat View Post
Sorry for the stupid question but after doing some bracelet adjustments I found myself applying a decent amount of pressure to each screw. I wanted them to be tight but I'm wondering if they are too tight? Am I causing more harm than good? I don't feel like I stripped anything and the screw heads don't look damaged but should I back them out and screw them back in with a little less force. I know people say not to screw down the crown too tightly so I wanted to know if the links or screws were susceptible to damage. Again, sorry for this rather dumb question. My first Rolex and first time I've done any watch adjustments. Just really paranoid. Thanks in advance!
Oh it's you again, buddy!!

Like I've said in all our PM exchanges, just ensure that that the screws are absolutely FLUSH on both ends of the links.

Once you've screwed them in, stop fiddling/farting around with the screws or you might accidentally strip the screw heads while trying to loosen them.

The screws are now sitting nice and tight in their individual links - enough said........your most important PRIORITY is checking for FLUSHNESS. If you've got that, relax and back away from that damned screwdriver!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 06:38 PM   #4
stat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
its not a stupid question Stat..we r here to ask questions and try to look for answers..first of all congratulations on ur first Rolex..to answer ur question..ur right u should not apply alot of pressure on the screw to make it tight..for me i apply a decent pressure but not too much..but remember Rolex screws are very strong...
Thank you! I'm really loving this watch but just seem to be way too careful about doing things "right" if that makes sense. Hopefully I'll be okay with the screws and didn't over do things. At this point I think I might take JJs advice and put the DAMN SCREW DRIVER DOWN. I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to loosen and tighten the screws too much as it is. Thanks again!
Old 30 December 2009, 06:40 PM   #5
stat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Oh it's you again, buddy!!

Like I've said in all our PM exchanges, just ensure that that the screws are absolutely FLUSH on both ends of the links.

Once you've screwed them in, stop fiddling/farting around with the screws or you might accidentally strip the screw heads while trying to loosen them.

The screws are now sitting nice and tight in their individual links - enough said........your most important PRIORITY is checking for FLUSHNESS. If you've got that, relax and back away from that damned screwdriver!!

JJ
Yup it's me again. They look pretty flush so I'm thinking I'll leave well enough alone. I've got problems! Lucky for me you've got solutions! Thanks again JJ!
Old 30 December 2009, 06:43 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Yup it's me again. They look pretty flush so I'm thinking I'll leave well enough alone. I've got problems! Lucky for me you've got solutions! Thanks again JJ!
Always here to help, buddy. The more you fiddle around with those screws, the greater the chances that you could cause some unnecessary damage.

If you're happy that all the screws are TIGHT and FLUSH, that's it!!

Put that damned screwdriver miles away!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 31 December 2009, 02:43 AM   #7
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Is the use of blue (semi-permanent) Loctite threadlocker encouraged or discouraged?
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 02:55 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's hard to get enough torque with the little screwdriver to do much damage to the screws... but you could..

Rolex uses loctite to prevent them backing out...(as mentioned), but it is seldom necessary..

they should be tight, but not forced.....they need to be more than "snug" and there is no way to visually know..

For a bolt to properly stretch and lock itself in place, there are recommended torques... That little 1/8 inch bolt in the bracelet would likely only need about 3 ft lbs and result in 900 lbs of clamping force......... But, since it's not really clamping anything (the holes go straight through and the pin floats), then all you are doing by forcing it too much is stretching the threads apart, stressing them..

Having said all that, and recognizing that the bolt does not actually clamp the bracelet together...it just rides there as a hinge pin, the only thing holding it is the threaded portion - loctite is the sensible solution..

OK...well..never mind..nobody really cares, so screw away....
Old 31 December 2009, 03:13 AM   #9
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

I use the Rolex screwdriver that is included with a SeaDweller tool kit as it fits Rolex screws the best. If a screw is chronically loose, use LocTite 221 or 222 (red bottle with blue LocTite fluid) on the screw threads to insure that screws are secure. Rolex even recommends LocTite 221 in their directions on using the DeepSea Glidelock buckle.

But, yes, JJ is right, just snug the screws and all is good....

-Sheldon
Old 31 December 2009, 06:06 AM   #10
stat
"TRF" Member

If I were to use loctite, should I use less force on the screws knowing that a threadlocking agent is used? My main concern is causing damage to the screw or threads in the link (by tightening to tight) that may somehow cause bracelet failure. The screws are inserted so I'm thinking if I didn't strip the screws now nothing "bad" will happen in the future.
Old 31 December 2009, 07:20 AM   #11
Tools

Quote:
If I were to use loctite, should I use less force on the screws knowing that a threadlocking agent is used? My main concern is causing damage to the screw or threads in the link (by tightening to tight) that may somehow cause bracelet failure. The screws are inserted so I'm thinking if I didn't strip the screws now nothing "bad" will happen in the future.
Yes, certainly..

Remember as I said before... the screws do not actually hold (clamp) anything together; so they do not need to be very tightly screwed in.. just enough so they are unlikely to back-out..

The pins are in shear-load on each side of the link and the tightness they are screwed in has nothing to do with the security of the link on the bracelet.... So, even if you did break one off at the thread end, the bracelet will still hold because the other side will keep the link from pulling from the bracelet...the pin needs to come completely out before you will lose your bracelet.
Old 31 December 2009, 09:40 AM   #12
stat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Yes, certainly..

Remember as I said before... the screws do not actually hold (clamp) anything together; so they do not need to be very tightly screwed in.. just enough so they are unlikely to back-out..

The pins are in shear-load on each side of the link and the tightness they are screwed in has nothing to do with the security of the link on the bracelet.... So, even if you did break one off at the thread end, the bracelet will still hold because the other side will keep the link from pulling from the bracelet...the pin needs to come completely out before you will lose your bracelet.
Understood! The tightness is just a matter of the screws not backing out. Thanks again all!
Old 31 December 2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Wildwing
"TRF" Member

My God, I cannot believe this thread, but here are my two cents. A nice snug fit with that tiny screwdriver is pretty much enough, as long as the threads are aligned properly in the first place. If not, you're in trouble.

By the way, if you keep monkeying around time and time again trying to find the right torque, you're going to loosen up the threads a bit, through force. You don't want to do that. Just take it easy, a nice snug fit is fine, and it doesn't need Loctite if it's snug.
Wildwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 03:20 AM   #14
VeryDeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
My first post here - great forum! I've just bought a new DSSD and due to the weather, I had to have the dealer send it to me in the post. Of course, when it arrived, the bracelet wasn't sized. I started to remove a link (idiot) and immediately burred the screw head very slightly.

Next line of thought was to leave alone, wait for the weather to clear a little, and make my way into town and get an expert to do it. I phoned Goldsmiths and Ernest Jones (UK) but they were quite supercilious. So then I found a long-established horologist and took the watch in there today. They did the job, but to be quite frank, with a strong loupe you can see that the screw heads have been manipulated.

Is this normal? I'm rather thinking it is as there's no way you can see it without magnification. Surely even a RSC would leave some type of miniscule mark on the screw head after removal and replacement?

And I'm talking VERY miniscule - call it post-purchase fastidiousness :)

Anyone else see tiny evidence of screw head 'use' after changing links?

All the Rolexes I have had before fitted me out of the box, so this has never been an issue before, but the DSSD bracelet is LARGE!

I'm also a little miffed because now that I have had the two links removed that I requested, (one from 6.00 and one from 12.00) I still have to have the flex clasp at the tightest notch :(

Cheers all!
VeryDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 08:00 AM   #15
VeryDeep
"TRF" Member

Any comments?
Old 13 January 2010, 08:12 AM   #16
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryDeep View Post
Any comments?
I don't think that Rolex owners should be allowed access to a loupe until they have had heir watch for at least a year...............
Old 13 January 2010, 08:55 AM   #17
VeryDeep
"TRF" Member

^^Thanks for the useful post. Anyone have anything a little less trite to offer?
Old 13 January 2010, 09:23 AM   #18
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
it just rides there as a hinge pin, the only thing holding it is the threaded portion - loctite is the sensible solution..
X 2 , use Loctite !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 03:49 PM   #19
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Regarding the burred screw heads, it is hard to find a screwdriver that fits the heads exactly. The SD tool mentioned above is the best fit that I have seen.

-Sheldon
Old 13 January 2010, 05:04 PM   #20
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I'm with you on that Sheldon.
The SD scewdriver is the only screwdriver I will use on my oyster bracelets.
Most other screwdrivers are either less than 1.6mm or the edge is too thin.
These other screwdrivers will nearly always leave witness marks especially if you strike a stubborn screw.

Check out the contour of the SD screwdriver tip and you will see why this is THE tool to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07637a.jpg (43.7 KB, 1013 views)
Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 05:07 PM   #21
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's hard to get enough torque with the little screwdriver to do much damage to the screws... but you could..

Rolex uses loctite to prevent them backing out...(as mentioned), but it is seldom necessary..

they should be tight, but not forced.....they need to be more than "snug" and there is no way to visually know..

For a bolt to properly stretch and lock itself in place, there are recommended torques... That little 1/8 inch bolt in the bracelet would likely only need about 3 ft lbs and result in 900 lbs of clamping force......... But, since it's not really clamping anything (the holes go straight through and the pin floats), then all you are doing by forcing it too much is stretching the threads apart, stressing them..

Having said all that, and recognizing that the bolt does not actually clamp the bracelet together...it just rides there as a hinge pin, the only thing holding it is the threaded portion - loctite is the sensible solution..

OK...well..never mind..nobody really cares, so screw away....
Yeah Yeah Larry,

We know everything in the USA is bigger than anywhere else.

I'm with you on the loctite.
Old 13 January 2010, 05:25 PM   #22
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Is the use of blue (semi-permanent) Loctite threadlocker encouraged or discouraged?
I use the lightest hold loctite and therefore don't need to use excessive force when tightening the screw but:

Don't put the loctite on the threads and then push the screw in because you will wipe loctite through the link and it will stiffen and clog. Find a paperclip, pick up a tiny amount of loctite (I use 222) and place it carefully inside the female thread. Slide the link in and push in the screw. Tighten gently, flush with the outside.

Job done.

BTW: Great work in getting your watches and $$$'s back.
Old 13 January 2010, 06:24 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I'm with you on that Sheldon.
The SD scewdriver is the only screwdriver I will use on my oyster bracelets.
Most other screwdrivers are either less than 1.6mm or the edge is too thin.
These other screwdrivers will nearly always leave witness marks especially if you strike a stubborn screw.

Check out the contour of the SD screwdriver tip and you will see why this is THE tool to use.
Love that picture, Eddie......what a superb close-up!!!

Old 13 January 2010, 10:16 PM   #24
Tylden Reed
TechXpert

Watch: GMTII and more
NEVER apply Locktite to the screw thread, the thread will leave Locktite along the inside of the link on its way to the far-end of the link. ALWAYS apply it to the thread inside the link, that way the inside of the body of the link will remain clean - and more than that if you put too much on the screw thread it could seize-up the link! Tylden.
Tylden Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 10:26 PM   #25
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

So what you're saying is to NEVER use Locktite. Am I reading this right?
Old 13 January 2010, 10:38 PM   #26
Tylden Reed
TechXpert

Quote:
So what you're saying is to NEVER use Locktite. Am I reading this right?
No, that is not what I'm saying - indeed Rolex use it. I am saying use it sparingly and on the inside of the thread not the screw thread. I still use #259 and it works well though they have changed to another #.
Old 14 January 2010, 12:40 AM   #27
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

It was a joke, Tylden, based on the computer glitch which caused six identical posts, thus the emoticon. Sorry about that....
Old 14 January 2010, 12:56 AM   #28
Tylden Reed
TechXpert

Quote:
It was a joke, Tylden, based on the computer glitch which caused six identical posts, thus the emoticon. Sorry about that....
Hi. Maybe I should lighten up! Life is too short. It's all this snow, I cannot get out at the moment and it shows. Sorry. Regards, Tylden.
Old 14 January 2010, 03:17 PM   #29
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylden Reed View Post
Hi. Maybe I should lighten up! Life is too short. It's all this snow, I cannot get out at the moment and it shows. Sorry. Regards, Tylden.
If you had read my post you could have taken some time out and had a coffee and a kitkat.
Old 14 January 2010, 03:25 PM   #30
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
i really do not understand why an unexperienced (rolex) person with a brand new watch wants to mess up with screws, screwdriver, tools etc.. just go to a professional and.. that s it. Watches are toys, but not for everybody. You want to know, ask a teacher and let him help you..otherwise you will have only frustration and unnecessary worries
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote