The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 June 2007, 04:41 AM   #1
baxta69

Watch: Rolex & Breitling
damn and blast

as i read in these pages that some people take off the holograms from the back of their watches and stick them on the certificate, numb nuts here thought he would do the same.
pick pick pick......and all that came off was the top layer of plastic leaving sticky splodge underneath.
why oh why cant i leave things alone.
I suppose i have to use soap and water now to remove the splodge?????? bugger.
any way should it have come off in one piece? does this mean mine is a fake? is it really going to rain tomorrow cos i decided to go to work on my motorsickle?
baxta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 04:43 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxta69 View Post
...cos i decided to go to work on my motorsickle?
Never mind the hologram, my friend.

Make sure you don't castrate yourself on that motorsickle!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 04:56 AM   #3
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
as i read in these pages that some people take off the holograms from the back of their watches and stick them on the certificate, numb nuts here thought he would do the same.
pick pick pick......and all that came off was the top layer of plastic leaving sticky splodge underneath.
I suppose i have to use soap and water now to remove the splodge?????? bugger.
any way should it have come off in one piece? does this mean mine is a fake? is it really going to rain tomorrow cos i decided to go to work on my motorsickle?
Same thing happened to me (well, not the motorcycle bit, at least), but when I tried to take my hologram off my new watch, it started coming apart, so I stopped at about 20% of it, and stuck it back on... I think better to leave it alone and let it die a gentle death on the wrist. Having said that, others on the forum have had success in taking it off - I think by wearing it for a few warm days, and then using their thumb to gently "glide" the hologram off (at this point, you probably won't have the numbers on the hologram anymore).

While many on the forum say the hologram doesn't matter for jack, my gut feeling is to disagree somewhat. I think many people who are educated about Rollies (like most everyone on this forum) could really care less about the hologram, and would gladly buy a used watch without the hologram, but if you're thinking of flipping the watch in the near future, others out there in the "real world" would probably either pay a bit more, or worry less about the authenticity of the watch, if it has an in-tact hologram on the back of the watch. That's why you'll never see a used Rolex sales person take the hologram off of a used watch - they are happy to leave it there.

At the end of the day, if you plan on keeping the watch for a long time, it matters for naught. Keep it on, take it off, ruin it, stick it on the warranty - the only thing that matters is your personal preference
Oyster Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 05:11 AM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Davinci,

I know the "why oh why can't I leave things alone" just too well!

Everytime I get something new, I have the urge to sit there scrutinizing the object and I see something that "needs to be done"

I tried removing my label once, too, and got the same result as you. Only got the top clear layer off. With my thumb nail, I managed to peel the remains of the label off, leaving a sticky mess underneath.

I removed the sticky substance by putting some Zippo lighter fuel on a piece of tissue, gently soaking the glue and then gently wiping it off.

Worked perfectly!

But NEVER put the Zippo fuel directly onto the case back since you would not want to have excessive fuel running down the the edge of the case back!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 05:19 AM   #5
baxta69

thanks guys......i feel much better knowing i am not the only one who cant leave things alone
............now where are my pliers to get this back off
Old 29 June 2007, 05:22 AM   #6
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
thanks guys......i feel much better knowing i am not the only one who cant leave things alone

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 05:39 AM   #7
mcubed
"TRF" Member

I'm with JJ, I just don't understand the fascination with the sticker. Its just a TEMPORARY anti-counterfeit measure that is not useful anymore because it has been counterfeited too often. :
mcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 06:13 AM   #8
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Davinci, you remind me of some of my customers: "it was working great so I fixed it."
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Baxta, nice to see someone else from God's own county on this forum. There are a few Essex boys on here too.
Which AD did you use ?
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 01:08 PM   #10
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I was born in Suffolk. Left when I was a year old. Love to go back and check out my birthplace someday.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 05:30 PM   #11
davinci

Watch: Breit Cross/SS sub
I am a Londoner and have lived just outside Ipswich for about 28 years.
I used Watchfinder to get my sub....Good bunch of lads. No waiting but had to pay the going rate :( Local AD, Goldsmiths, quoted 3 - 6 months wait.
I pass newmarket everyday on my way to work at Carver Barracks, Wimbish near Saffron Walden. Small world.
davinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2007, 02:21 AM   #12
travellingbrit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 11, BF
Hey Baxta

I did EXACTLY the same thing, wore the watch for two days and then tried to peel the sticker off.......messy!!!.....but what the hell, makes no difference at all to me and I'm glad it's gone. Why pay all that money for a watch and then wear sticky back plastic next to you skin..??
travellingbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2007, 09:14 AM   #13
Teofilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
I was born in Suffolk. Left when I was a year old. Love to go back and check out my birthplace someday.
Come during the summer KansaiVet....Suffolk is not a place to be in the winter !
We have top quality horse racing in Newmarket from the Spring right through to Autumn. Great little tourist town, with Cambridge only 15 minutes away and the coast (and Adnams beer) only an hour in the other direction.
Let me know if you decide to come over.
Old 30 June 2007, 09:19 AM   #14
Teofilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci View Post
I am a Londoner and have lived just outside Ipswich for about 28 years.
I used Watchfinder to get my sub....Good bunch of lads. No waiting but had to pay the going rate :( Local AD, Goldsmiths, quoted 3 - 6 months wait.
I pass newmarket everyday on my way to work at Carver Barracks, Wimbish near Saffron Walden. Small world.
When I was looking at buying my first Rolex I tried various AD's in Peterborough, Cambridge, Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds etc....
The best one I found anywhere was at Upchurch and Sons in Colchester. They have a fantastic selection, really professional service and they will come up with a price that you will like......it takes them a couple of minutes of discussion out the back !
Well worth a journey down there....
Old 30 June 2007, 10:19 AM   #15
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Thanks Teofilo, will do!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2007, 08:13 PM   #16
Lol-x
Facilitator

I wish someone who knows would say the best way to get the hologram off the watch and onto the chrono certificate without any damage to the watch or the hologram??????????
Thanks
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2007, 10:02 PM   #17
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I wish someone who knows would say the best way to get the hologram off the watch and onto the chrono certificate without any damage to the watch or the hologram??????????
Thanks
I think they are designed not to be re-used....anti counterfeit, cant peel them and stick them on another watch

Old 3 July 2007, 10:13 PM   #18
baxta69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofilo View Post
When I was looking at buying my first Rolex I tried various AD's in Peterborough, Cambridge, Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds etc....
The best one I found anywhere was at Upchurch and Sons in Colchester. They have a fantastic selection, really professional service and they will come up with a price that you will like......it takes them a couple of minutes of discussion out the back !
Well worth a journey down there....
Bought my first three Rolies from Ipswich back in the eighties....I think it was Ernest Jones or Mappin and Webb, anyway its a games shop now.
Yeah, I know Upchurch & Sons but didnt want to wait for my ss sub ....I is an impatient git