The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 July 2007, 07:01 AM   #31
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Welcome to TRF, pal.

Want an absolute reply? For that kind of money.....NEITHER!!!

For that kind of $$$, you could get yourself a couple of beautiful Rollies and still have plenty of cash burning a big hole in your pocket.

JJ
I would buy a 2000 model BMW 3.20 CI (E46) here if I would have that money instead of spending it for a watch but when the shining of ROLEX tells my eyes the beauty and its so nice to look to a ROLEX and feel the pleasure but till price 7000 it's ok over 8000 will be a disaster in my opinion, better to go with GMT Master or Submariner TT versions gold+steel.
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2007, 07:03 AM   #32
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aykun325 View Post
I would buy a 2000 model BMW 3.20 CI (E46) here if I would have that money instead of spending it for a watch but when the shining of ROLEX tells my eyes the beauty and its so nice to look to a ROLEX and feel the pleasure but till price 7000 it's ok over 8000 will be a disaster in my opinion, better to go with GMT Master or Submariner TT versions gold+steel.
disaster how?
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2007, 07:06 AM   #33
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I was only once tried buying a used Sub (5513), or rather I swapped it for a Sub Date

Since then I am finished doing second hand deal whatsoever.

So my advice: by the Daytona WG from an AD. Nothing beats it.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2007, 07:06 AM   #34
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra2nv View Post
there is another member that just got one...Joe is his name i think...

what is everyone's opinion between the silver, black, and meteorite dials?

Meteorite 1st prize, black a close 2nd prize, silver a distant third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aykun325 View Post
Personally, it would be the '509 all day long. A far, far better investment than the BMW as well.
Old 1 July 2007, 07:26 AM   #35
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
I was only once tried buying a used Sub (5513), or rather I swapped it for a Sub Date

Since then I am finished doing second hand deal whatsoever.

So my advice: by the Daytona WG from an AD. Nothing beats it.
what happened?
Old 1 July 2007, 07:29 AM   #36
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Meteorite 1st prize, black a close 2nd prize, silver a distant third.

Personally, it would be the '509 all day long. A far, far better investment than the BMW as well.
Agree. The Meteorite is one of a kind. Every dial is different. Just an amazing stunning dial.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2007, 07:37 AM   #37
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
what happened?

I just made the stupid thing of swapping it in the Portobelle Road Market in London for that 5513. I dunno what happened, but I will never forget that day.

The longer version of the story you can read in my very first post here on TRF:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ht=double+post

Old 1 July 2007, 09:12 AM   #38
supermarz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
No to EBay. We have been down that road already. EBay is for cheap purchases that you can afford to get ripped off on. Not a grail WG Daytona.

I always say buy new from an AD. There is nothing like that experience.

There is in my opinion nothing like the piece of mind and back up service you get from a trusted AD. If I was going to plunk down 20K I would only do it with an AD. This is a once in a lifetime purchase for most of us.

I like the new clasp on the Z serial number Daytona as well.

Don't get bit, don't get burned and know what you are getting with a 2 year warranty. Buy new I say.

I don't think I would buy anything so nice and spendy that was not new. I would be the first wrist that it was on. I think I would keep a Rolex like that for the rest of my life, so I would not cut corners.
well said!! for that price i would get one new without a doubt ......and im guessing this is a keeper anyway and not somethign that u would flip.

by the way that is one of the best looking rolex in my opinion ... i dont normally favour black dial but daytona white gold with black is the way to go

let us know which u decide in the end

happy comtemplating
supermarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2007, 10:00 AM   #39
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

will let you guys know. i am a little concerned that the used one may have stretch? is this a valid concern or is the watch too new for this? the thing looks brand new in the pics...hologram still in place and all. also, is it bad to buff any of the scratches out of it if there any when i get it? or is it bad if the watch was already buffed hence why it looks so new?

sorry for rambling...
Old 1 July 2007, 10:54 AM   #40
Gaijin

Well, you want to keep the buffing to a minimum. Each time it is buffed a little bit of White Gold is buffed off and lost in the process.

Scratches are inevitable. Don't sweat scratches. Part of having a beautiful Rolex.
Old 1 July 2007, 07:09 PM   #41
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Once you get this beauty there will be absolutely no need for the far inferior SS Daytona.
inferior...??....in what ways inferior......?

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2007, 03:16 AM   #42
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
inferior...??....in what ways inferior......?
what i think he means is the feel of the WG watch is more sturdy and heavy. i have two friends who have both versions, and they commented they do not like wearing their stainless after owning the WG. it's that much nicer. even al the authorized dealers i have talked to say teh WG is leaps and bounds nicer feel and look.

both are great watches, same movement, same quality, but the feel of one is just nicer. hence my personal decision to make the stretch to buy the WG.

fyi.
Old 2 July 2007, 03:39 AM   #43
ohlins
"TRF" Member

so is that considered inferior...?......heavier and more sturdy i can understand.....but how does that come close to inferior is quite a mystery...

btw i am more interested to know it from him ....

Old 2 July 2007, 03:49 AM   #44
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
so is that considered inferior...?......heavier and more sturdy i can understand.....but how does that come close to inferior is quite a mystery...

i hope youre not taking offense to his comment
Old 2 July 2007, 04:04 AM   #45
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I consider the white gold daytona to be a superior watch to the stainless steel version and considering the respective prices on the secondary market for the both they can be compared directly.

It is my subjective opinion. I prefer gold to stainless steel. I find that it is a superior metal. I also find the red hands to be aesthetically superior.

You may find the stainless steel version superior. That would be your subjective opinion.

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 2 July 2007 at 09:31 AM..
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2007, 04:12 AM   #46
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I consider the white gold daytona to be a superior watch to the stainless steel version and considering the respective prices on the secondary market for the both they can be compared directly.

It is my subjective opinion. I prefer gold to stainless steel. I find that it is a superior metal. I also find the red dials to be aesthetically superior.

You may find the stainless steel version superior. That would be your subjective opinion.
well said:) i am sure there is someone out there with an opinion that the stainless is superior for some reason....subjective is the key word.
Old 2 July 2007, 04:21 AM   #47
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
well said:) i am sure there is someone out there with an opinion that the stainless is superior for some reason....subjective is the key word.
Are you getting the watch from your friend?
Old 2 July 2007, 04:29 AM   #48
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you getting the watch from your friend?
the watch is from my friend, but he bought it second hand as well. so i want to have it checked out before i buy it. had he been the original owner there would be no question about it. but, better to be safe. should i have the authorized dealer open the back to check the movement or is a physical check of the band and case enough?

so you think im getting a good deal at $17.9k huh? i reallly love the black dial in pics, not sure what it looks like in person.

p.s. my friend is out of state so i have not physically seen the watch.
Old 2 July 2007, 04:37 AM   #49
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the watch is from my friend, but he bought it second hand as well. so i want to have it checked out before i buy it. had he been the original owner there would be no question about it. but, better to be safe. should i have the authorized dealer open the back to check the movement or is a physical check of the band and case enough?

so you think im getting a good deal at $17.9k huh? i reallly love the black dial in pics, not sure what it looks like in person.

p.s. my friend is out of state so i have not physically seen the watch.
If he is a true friend he will let you have it for $17k. He will also respect your need to have it fully authenticated before you part company with your cash.
Old 2 July 2007, 04:39 AM   #50
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If he is a true friend he will let you have it for $17k. He will also respect your need to have it fully authenticated before you part company with your cash.
authenticated not a problem, that's in the works.

would $17k be lowballing?

p.s. the last used one went for $19.9k on eBay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-DAYTONA-18...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 2 July 2007, 05:17 AM   #51
He wants a daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I'm not sure what kind of break you can get from an AD on a new WG Daytona, but assuming the D is MINT I'd go that route.
Whats the diff between a D and a Z and an SS? also from year to year have the models change since 2000 when they started using all rolex parts?
He wants a daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2007, 08:34 AM   #52
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

OK $17.5k. Special friend price

Not much depreciation left at that price.

Remember, it IS a superior watch to the SS in my opinion (and the guy who paid $19.5k for the one on ebay.)
Old 2 July 2007, 08:42 AM   #53
Gaijin

and the one on EBay was an F serial number. Kind of old.
Old 2 July 2007, 10:41 AM   #54
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
and the one on EBay was an F serial number. Kind of old.
mine would be newer;) i think the price is better than good from watching the market this past few weeks
Old 2 July 2007, 12:39 PM   #55
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It is my subjective opinion. I prefer gold to stainless steel. I find that it is a superior metal. I also find the red hands to be aesthetically superior.

fine....then your new ss gmt 2 must be an inferior watch too cos ss is a inferior metal in your opinion....you are free to choose an inferior watch in an inferior metal of cos...

Old 2 July 2007, 03:56 PM   #56
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
fine....then your new ss gmt 2 must be an inferior watch too cos ss is a inferior metal in your opinion....you are free to choose an inferior watch in an inferior metal of cos...
umm..i think his GMT II is all Gold.
Old 2 July 2007, 05:22 PM   #57
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ohlins,

in a forum there will always be different opinions and different ways of seeing things. All opinions should be respected, as long as they are well on the right side of the TRF rules.

If one does not respect an opinion, it is okay to say this and tell him his own opinion. But to carry on and on about it?

Old 2 July 2007, 05:55 PM   #58
ohlins
"TRF" Member

spacedweller,

definitely we all have our opinions......and everyone is accorded the space and freedom to express them....that's fine ...

it is one thing to say "it's not my cup of tea" or "it's ugly" cos these are obviously subjective feelings and observations...........however it crossed the line of civility and respect to openly declare another watch as "inferior".....especially when there was no basis how the "inferiority" was derived......

i sought the clarification as i was curious to find out why.......

there are watches that i do not like as much but i wouldnt go to that extend to say these are inferior to another.....

after knowing that someone else thinks that gold is superior to ss, i am intrigued to find out why did he then purchase a ss gmt 2....when it is clearly inferior to him as a person.....

it's all done in a civilised manner.....it's all about watches right.....superior or inferior....

Old 2 July 2007, 06:02 PM   #59
supra2nv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
spacedweller,

definitely we all have our opinions......and everyone is accorded the space and freedom to express them....that's fine ...

it is one thing to say "it's not my cup of tea" or "it's ugly" cos these are obviously subjective feelings and observations...........however it crossed the line of civility and respect to openly declare another watch as "inferior".....especially when there was no basis how the "inferiority" was derived......

i sought the clarification as i was curious to find out why.......

there are watches that i do not like as much but i wouldnt go to that extend to say these are inferior to another.....

after knowing that someone else thinks that gold is superior to ss, i am intrigued to find out why did he then purchase a ss gmt 2....when it is clearly inferior to him as a person.....

it's all done in a civilised manner.....it's all about watches right.....superior or inferior....
he bought a Gold GMT
Old 2 July 2007, 06:07 PM   #60
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

good watch but not for me
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote