The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Closed Thread

Old 12 June 2013, 08:42 AM   #31
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Hope you also agreed with me ... i dont need a BMW or Mercedez since Im happy with my Accord.
Old 13 June 2013, 01:52 AM   #32
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

I don't need a Rolex, I simply want it.
Old 13 June 2013, 10:46 AM   #33
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Why own a Benz when you can get a Civic?
I can think of a few reasons...
If you can really afford it, you don't care.
My other car gets 11mpg. 11. I'm not disappointed though as I didn't buy it for its gas mileage.
I don't drink bottom shelf blended whisky either, but it will get you just as buzzed.

十人十色
Old 13 June 2013, 12:02 PM   #34
mcavana

Watch: 16610
Don't worry I still love ROLEX. In fact I just flipped my sub for a mint 91 Explorer 2.

Now I have the perfect combination... I wear the explorer during the day at work and when we go out. I wear the monster at home and in bed.

PERFECT!
Old 14 June 2013, 12:25 AM   #35
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
The common thread here is love of watches.

I had a Seiko Monster for a short time and it didn't connect with me but I did appreciate all the positive attributes listed. A great watch for the money.
Old 14 June 2013, 02:40 AM   #36
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
why even own a toilet when you can have an outhouse
Old 14 June 2013, 11:52 AM   #37
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Being able to enjoy and own the watch you really like is one of the real luxuries in life.

Everyone has different tastes and not everyone has a desire to own a Rolex.

If you get the same level of enjoyment I get from my submariner with your Seiko, then that's fantastic and good for you! It's certainly a more economical way to get something that makes you happy.
Old 14 June 2013, 11:55 PM   #38
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I have several mechanical Seikos, a vintage world time and a diver from the late 70's. Both great watches. I think Seiko did themselves a disservice when they started spitting out the cheap quartz watches in the 80's and 90's. The baby boomers had these cheapies when they were young. Now that they are older and can afford anything they want, they associated Seikos with the cheapies and find it hard to pony up for a Grand Seiko. I'm not familiar with the Monsters, but Seikos are hard to beat for the $$$$$.
Old 15 June 2013, 12:56 AM   #39
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Nobody should begrudge anyone's happiness.

Enjoy your watch, and we all will enjoy ours.

Old 15 June 2013, 12:12 PM   #40
Wacker23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex sub
[QUOTE=andromeda160;4208939]why even own a toilet when you can have an outhouse [/QUO

Old 15 June 2013, 11:39 PM   #41
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I enjoy my Black Monster and my Rolex watches. I think of it as picking the right watch for what I am doing or how I feel. Just a thought.
Old 16 June 2013, 12:04 AM   #42
427shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dj2 tt, 126610LV
I like my orange monster a lot, but IMO it doesn't even come close to comparing to either of my rolex watches... Your one of the very few lucky ones who got an accurate monster from factory. Doesn't bother me to much at all, but the 1st week mine gained about 20sec a day
Old 16 June 2013, 02:29 AM   #43
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Most people would probably agree with you that a $10k Rolex is not 50 times better than a $200 Seiko. Then again, I have a 16610 that I paid $1,900 for that is probably worth twice that almost 20 years later, so...

In any event, the hardcore economics is not the driving consideration when purchasing a Rolex. I highly doubt that most are attracted to the brand because of its overwhelming value for the dollar.

It's one of those "If I have to explain it you wouldn't get it" kind of things.
Old 16 June 2013, 03:10 AM   #44
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/ Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Most people would probably agree with you that a $10k Rolex is not 50 times better than a $200 Seiko. Then again, I have a 16610 that I paid $1,900 for that is probably worth twice that almost 20 years later, so...

In any event, the hardcore economics is not the driving consideration when purchasing a Rolex. I highly doubt that most are attracted to the brand because of its overwhelming value for the dollar.

Lol, yes, but I'm not sure I can even really explain it to myself.

I actually used to think Rolexes were kind of ugly. But, one day a few months back, all of a sudden I found myself liking certain models. Like, a lot. I'm now looking for my 4th Rolex, which I would never have believed 7 or 8 months ago.

Can't really explain it, except I just like wearing them. They make me happy. (Well, as much as a watch, or any other possession, can make one happy.)
Old 16 June 2013, 03:11 AM   #45
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
That's great to here man! and congrats on the new find. However, in the long run I will bet every cent I have that your Rolexes will last much longer if taken care of properly. Rolex in itself is a master piece. I'm sure it's a great watch, but for how long... Just my 2Cents...

ROLEX & OMEGA
Old 17 June 2013, 07:20 AM   #46
MaxCargo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Seiko is

"After 12 hours of sleep"

Wow, if I'm lucky i Get 6 hours. Dam kids
Old 17 June 2013, 11:23 PM   #47
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.president1 View Post
I'm sure it's a great watch, but for how long... Just my 2Cents...
Probably a long, long time! It's not hard to find vintage Seiko divers in great shape. If it needs a service, you just pop in a new movement for $50 and keep the party rockin'. People chuckle about the price/quality gap between a Monster and a Rolex, but I think the OP had a couple good points in particular about the lume and bracelet actually being better than his old Rolex's.

To me the single most noticeable quality difference between a Sub and my Seiko divers, honestly, is the bezel feel. Rotating a sub bezel is like mouse-clicks on butter. Rotating a Seiko bezel is a little more ratchety. And when setting the time on a (non-Grand) Seiko, the hands tend to feel a little looser than Rolex. Polishing and overall finish, Rolex hands down.

But there's no reason to laugh at the Monster just because it's $200; I think it can easily compete with anything out there under <$1,200. Excellent choice!
Old 18 June 2013, 12:45 AM   #48
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Probably a long, long time! It's not hard to find vintage Seiko divers in great shape. If it needs a service, you just pop in a new movement for $50 and keep the party rockin'. People chuckle about the price/quality gap between a Monster and a Rolex, but I think the OP had a couple good points in particular about the lume and bracelet actually being better than his old Rolex's.

To me the single most noticeable quality difference between a Sub and my Seiko divers, honestly, is the bezel feel. Rotating a sub bezel is like mouse-clicks on butter. Rotating a Seiko bezel is a little more ratchety. And when setting the time on a (non-Grand) Seiko, the hands tend to feel a little looser than Rolex. Polishing and overall finish, Rolex hands down.

But there's no reason to laugh at the Monster just because it's $200; I think it can easily compete with anything out there under <$1,200. Excellent choice!
LOL walk into rolex with 200 and see what it gets you, if your lucky you'll walk out with a spare link haha
Old 18 June 2013, 12:38 PM   #49
Glenn422
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post

+1. :)

it's like buying a Porsche or Lamborghini. It's definitely not many times better than a Toyota which also gets you from A to B. But people who buy those cars would say the same thing, there are certain things that I really love from a Porsche / Lamborghini. Be it the interior, speed, style, or even just the look in general. As a car enthusiast i understand why they would buy one, so should you as a watch enthusiast especially having owned one before
Old 19 June 2013, 02:09 PM   #50
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
I love reading posts like this. It's all really a matter of preference. On a certain common sense level I think owning a Rolex that we know has a built in flaw rate makes me question its value when my atomic g shock does not loose time. I don't have to worry playing golf, running, getting L---D, or need to worry about some idiot hitting me over the head for it.
With that said, I have owned many rolex but mostly enjoy the ones that fly under the radar. I live in a small house, drive a Toyota (complete with sticker that says US Army Retired) spend 1.80 at Starbucks daily, and yep own a Rolex or two. It's just what you find important. I do agree that quality clothes last longer.
The guy who was talking about the 911 was my favorite. In Arizona that car would get crushed like a bug in a collision with some cowboy in his/her F 450 etc.
Old 19 June 2013, 02:14 PM   #51
jackwebb
"TRF" Member

Watch: crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Arizona View Post
I don't have to worry playing golf, running, getting L---D, or need to worry about some idiot hitting me over the head for it.
Old 19 June 2013, 11:18 PM   #52
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tudor North Flag
The Seiko Monster diver's series is a very robust and very well-respected watch in the WIS community.

I've never owned one, but I've never heard a bad word about one.

As for comparing the Monster with a Rolex, it's just as hopeless as comparing a Rolex to a Patek.

I just bought a $20 dollar S&W Tactical watch from Big 5.

I think it's a cool watch and it pleases me.

However, I'm certainly not going to sell my Rolex watches because I can buy a $20 watch that pleases me and keeps better time.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 20 June 2013, 08:45 AM   #53
francis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
My, my. A bit sensitive, aren't we? Or perhaps the difference between a discussion and a "pissing match" eludes you. And it is not merely my opinion that a Rolex exceeds the quality of a 299 dollar watch, I'd say it was a fact.
At what point is it not a fact? High end Hamilton watches that cost a quarter of what a sub costs?
New Omega watches that cost about half?
I like Rolex but not because I think it is any better of a watch than watches much less in price but rather the history is what attracts me.

to the OP enjoy your monster!
Old 20 June 2013, 11:11 AM   #54
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
I purchased on 2 weeks ago for fun. Nice watch, but does not compare to any of my Rolex's, my .2c
Old 24 June 2013, 06:16 PM   #55
foxglove1
"TRF" Member

gotta love that seiko lume! haha
Old 24 June 2013, 06:26 PM   #56
Andad

Watch: A few.

Should be moved to the 'Joke Section' IMO.

Old 26 June 2013, 11:58 PM   #57
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Okay. But here's the thing about your post: I could live in a tent, instead of a house. Or in a trailer. I could drive a beater car rather than my Porsche. I could wear hand me down or second hand clothing. All of those things are cheaper.

But none of them are better. The quality of your monster is quite poor compared to a Rolex or a Patek. The quality of a Hyundai Accent is less than the quality of a 911. The quality of fine clothing is far superior to what you get at walmart.

You like your monster. I get it. But to extol it based on how cheap it is on a Rolex forum is a bit puzzling. Clearly, you're posting in a forum where people value quality and value over price alone. I don't understand why you'd do that.

Good luck with your watch. Hope it lasts.
Quote:
My, my. A bit sensitive, aren't we? Or perhaps the difference between a discussion and a "pissing match" eludes you. And it is not merely my opinion that a Rolex exceeds the quality of a 299 dollar watch, I'd say it was a fact.
Very well said. I think you are RIGHT on target.
Old 27 June 2013, 12:07 AM   #58
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
The Seiko Monster diver's series is a very robust and very well-respected watch in the WIS community.

I've never owned one, but I've never heard a bad word about one.

As for comparing the Monster with a Rolex, it's just as hopeless as comparing a Rolex to a Patek.

I just bought a $20 dollar S&W Tactical watch from Big 5.

I think it's a cool watch and it pleases me.

However, I'm certainly not going to sell my Rolex watches because I can buy a $20 watch that pleases me and keeps better time.
my smith and Wesson watch was my favorite for years, my grandpa and I went to a sports store to get some fishing stuff and it was marked down to 15 or 20$ for like a $120 watch and it was a smith and Wesson, which I thought was cool as all hell. wore it for years until a springbar broke. makes me wanna throw a battery/springbar in it and wear it!
Old 4 July 2013, 02:42 PM   #59
RolexRudy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay. But here's the thing about your post: I could live in a tent, instead of a house. Or in a trailer. I could drive a beater car rather than my Porsche. I could wear hand me down or second hand clothing. All of those things are cheaper.

But none of them are better. The quality of your monster is quite poor compared to a Rolex or a Patek. The quality of a Hyundai Accent is less than the quality of a 911. The quality of fine clothing is far superior to what you get at walmart.

You like your monster. I get it. But to extol it based on how cheap it is on a Rolex forum is a bit puzzling. Clearly, you're posting in a forum where people value quality and value over price alone. I don't understand why you'd do that.

Good luck with your watch. Hope it lasts.
I hate to make this my first post. PS : Hi guys , new to this board and glad to be accepted.

Jeez man , you took a lot of time to criticize the OP --- what's the big deal ? I buy wrangler shorts at Wal-Mart for $15 instead of Sears where they are $40 ... what's the difference ?

Comparing clothing quality and price , and your Porsche (BTW : What model ? I love my new Panamera 4s got her last week off the truck !) with a good inexpensive watch , and a Rolex ?

OP nice watch , those 21J movements are bullett proof
Old 5 July 2013, 12:28 PM   #60
shnxx
"TRF" Member

Lol
Sorry I prefer casio g shocks for my disposable watches