The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 February 2019, 05:36 PM   #1
knels
"TRF" Member

Icon10 First Love....(Mini Review & Pics)

I have been scanning TRF for several years now and have bit of free time when working away so thought would go all out and share a few pictures and mini review of my Rolex ownership (aka I'm bored and addicted to TRF).

I have loved watches from a young age but my real passion for watches began when I started my first full time job around 19 years old. I was sat in an office next to 3 watch collectors; all Rolex collectors, my fate was sealed and my watch saving fund had started. I was hooked!

The strange thing about it was all 3 guys wore 216570 Explorer II's as their daily choice out of their wholesome collections. One of the guys had over 30 Rolex at one point but yet chose the ExpII out of them all as his daily office wearer.
From seeing (And trying on) the Explorer II day-in-day-out for almost 3 years I knew this was the watch that I wanted to be my first 'bigboy' watch. With this watch being my first Rolex purchase I wasn't concerned about future value of the watch one bit as it was likely that it will never be sold on.

In August(ish) 2016 I put my name in the hat for a Black Dial 216570 at my Local Rolex AD and by October 2016 I got the call to pick it up. Very memorable day and not sure it will ever be beaten in a watch pick-up sense with it being the first one.
Since that day I had only had to wind the watch up about 3-4 times in 2 years, a define sign that this was the one. It was never off my wrist and has been a weird and wonderful number of places over the world already.

The ExpII as a general model, in my eyes, is very overlooked and less desired amongst the SS sports range. To this day I personally can't figure out the reasoning behind this after my ownership.
I really don't think I could have picked a more versatile watch that could withstand wear and tear as much. It's very understated and quiet yet can be used in ANY situation; Not once have I thought that the watch isn't right for the occasion.

Interesting that I sat next to 3 guys that wore this watch on a daily basis and since ownership I haven't met or seen one other ExpII out in the wild. I couldn't love this watch any more, not a day that goes by where i don't appreciate it. I really would struggle to pick a fault with it. So much so i am considering a Polar 16570 at some point in the near future.

Anyway that's enough typing, here area few pictures that I have taken over the years in a number of different environments; Office, home, offshore, holidays etc.
ExpII was also lucky enough big brother last year, which i am delighted about (Last 2 Pictures; will save that mini review for another day, limelight is firmly on ExpII today).

Enjoy!

Day 1

Work (Offshore)

Office:

Holiday/Leisure

Home

Bro's

knels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:17 AM   #2
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Beautiful photos ! Enjoy those great sport watches!!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:35 AM   #3
Carter69
"TRF" Member

Sweet pics!
Carter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 10:56 PM   #4
mister wiggles
"TRF" Member

They complement one another well!
mister wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 09:09 PM   #5
patriciaCanterbury
"TRF" Member

Love them!
patriciaCanterbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 09:15 PM   #6
Lgear080
Banned

Great story and pics. Incredible duet.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 09:41 PM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very nice review and story. I also think that the Explorer II is an overlooked watch and it is a great wear. The SD43 is another great watch and might be the ultimate Rolex Diver for me. Two very cool watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181104_105705 (002).jpg (212.7 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg 20181208_123533 (002).jpg (196.0 KB, 275 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 09:45 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great story, thanks for sharing. I really like the Exp2 and especially the black dial
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 12:15 PM   #9
na_panpun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Great story and pictures :)
na_panpun is offline   Reply With Quote