The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 February 2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Platinum Polishing - Definitely A Loss of Metal

There has been a lot of discussion regarding this metal and its properties.

Like all noble metals, platinum does rub off during polishing.

It leaves a residue behind that can clearly be seen on polishing wheels.

Just wanted to make sure that was clear as some other members believe differently.

Please note my source: "Platinum - The Mysterious Metal and its Molecules" by Al Kay Mee

Jeffreyc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 04:12 PM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Are you trying to be funny?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:09 PM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
oh boy we got a controversy

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:43 AM   #4
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Are you trying to be funny?

Always. Makes life much more enjoyable. However, I was not trying to be disrespectful. I just thought it would be amusing to address my "controversial"
claim in this manner rather than just continue on and on.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:34 AM   #5
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
oh boy we got a controversy
Actually, no controversy.

I do not work in the jewelry industry and don't polish rolex watches.

But the discussion about platinum's unique trait of moving molecules around vs rubbing dust off is not an "internet" myth.

In all sincerity, my best friend is a jeweler in NY who actually makes custom jewelry and use all sorts of metals: 14kt/18t yellow, rose, red , green and white gold.

The white gold he uses to cast jewelry is Stuller's X1 which was one of the first true white (with no rhodium plating) available to jewelers to cast.

He also casts in 950 PD palladium.

And he also casts in 900 PT; 950 PT/Rhodium......950 PT/Iridium.....950 PT/Cobalt depending on the design and the availability.

He actually casts in subtle shades of pink, rose and red that do look different when compared to each other.

He has a 10,000 square foot shop.....a showroom and then his MF stuff.

He has a special "clean" room for casting in PD and PT because he says when casting the alloy everything must be incredibly clean (cleaner then when casting 18kt gold) due to the problem of pitting.....it takes him longer to get a good "yield" for a particular design which often disappoints customers.

Look, this is second hand knowledge from what he tells me.

Like I said, I don't polish for Rolex like Bas and so will defer to his experiences.

But, when talking with my friend, he told me that PT does have a unique trait whereby the molecules on a (nano level maybe) are displaced vs lost.

Yes, when polishing he has traces of "stuff" on his polishing wheel.

He attributes that to the other metals in the alloy or reaction to the environment.

But I guess what he was trying to make me understand is that he collects all of the gold dust. He casts so much its worth the scrap value.

He can't do that in his PT casting room because this is none or little that actually rubs off.

He isn't a metallurgist...he didn't study chemically what the element PT does or doesn't do.....but as a caster (not just a polisher) he sees everything from the alloy arriving in sheets or tubes or whatever raw state; he melts and either uses the old casting system where you make a was mold and fill or most of the time....has 3 d printers that print in the alloys and grow the design very slowly for hours until it is printed. Then he does the other stuff including polishing.

So, according to his experience....it isn't a "myth" about PT...its a "fact" that PT and similar metals have this unique trait vs gold.

So, it make PT kinda cool.
Old 25 February 2018, 02:14 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

I merely stated what I've seen, which is metal residue on the buffing wheels. Out of which I conclude that there is loss of material when polishing a PT950 watch. Can't tell if it's actually Platinum or one of the other metals that are used in the alloy. Yet I would still find it odd if only the other metals would be lost, that is just odd.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:32 AM   #7
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I merely stated what I've seen, which is metal residue on the buffing wheels. Out of which I conclude that there is loss of material when polishing a PT950 watch. Can't tell if it's actually Platinum or one of the other metals that are used in the alloy. Yet I would still find it odd if only the other metals would be lost, that is just odd.
All good. You have first hand experience and I don't so I should have probably stayed out of it.

No disrespect ever intended.

No worries.

It doesn't really make sense to me either.

Old 25 February 2018, 04:35 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

quit while you are behind.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:38 AM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreyc87 View Post
All good. You have first hand experience and I don't so I should have probably stayed out of it.

No disrespect ever intended.

No worries.

It doesn't really make sense to me either.

I wasn't offended, just thought it was a little strange to open another thread about the subject.

I just tell you what I see, if your friend has an explanation (and it seems you both know more about this than me) then I'm happy to learn more about it!

Old 25 February 2018, 07:58 PM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:

I ve watched that guy on youtube ,his explanation regarding buffing and polishing was really detailed and makes sense ,i don t know if you can second to that but i myself found it very interesting.
https://youtu.be/YMuWrI-sCj8

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote