The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2018, 10:35 PM   #91
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear about your situation. The only thing I would suggest is that if you return the watch, I would bring a witness and make them sign something.
If they tough you were lying they might even say you.did not return the watch. It s silly but I would play their game. Good luck.
Either. Love it or return.it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:50 AM   #92
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalar View Post
Thanks for the link to the other thread. It's the same company! This has really helped. I'm trying to upload photos and will get photos uploaded as soon as I can figure out how to lower the size of my files.
My receipt only shows that I purchased a Rolex watch and no other details.

I wish I could simply just purchase another 28 and give this 31 away but, unfortunately, my bank balance is not so accommodating.
If you use imgur.com you don't need to resize the photos, the website will do it for you.

1. Sign up for imgur.com
2. Upload your photos (drag & drop into the website window via their 'New Post' link)
3. Click "Obtain share links" once the photo uploads (click the image within imgur to get the share menu to appear)
4. Select the BBCode option and copy the provided link
5. Paste that link into a message within TRF
6. Important: Edit the provided link before you submit the message! Add the letter 'h' to the end of the scrambled image name. EG. if the image name is "eFx8NNyz.jpg", you would change it to be "eFx8NNyzh.jpg" (This is the step that performs the resize)

Hit 'preview' before submitting your post to double check that things are ok.

Voila! Perfectly sized images directly from your camera. No need for software
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:00 AM   #93
Lalalar
"TRF" Member

Managed to shrink my images.
Pink one obviously is the 31 I bought and the silver one is a 28 I tried on in October last year. Like one responder said, the 31 did cross my mind and seem a little large but it didn't really ring any alarm bells because I asked for a 28 and assumed it would be a 28 so never doubted the SA. This is my first Rolex and no, I am not familiar with all the different model numbers and how a few mm will look to my untrained eye. Yes, it is only 3mm but to my eye, the 28 looks a little more elegant and feminine on my wrist. Also the roman numerals and general text on the 28 seem to fill the face better but I could just be niggle picking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20180225-WA0015.jpg (62.2 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20180223-WA0002.jpg (44.7 KB, 583 views)
Lalalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:05 AM   #94
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r View Post
Having walked into various ADs across the country last year asking for the new DJ41 and being shown a discontinued DJ II almost every single time, I can see how such a mistake could occur on the dealers end. Ultimately, assuming that you mentioned wanting the 28mm size I think the responsibility is on the dealer to make this right. You should not have to check reference numbers as a consumer to ensure you are getting the right product.

I think on the forums we tend to look at things as a WIS. How in the world could anyone walk into a store and leave with nothing other than what they wanted!!! Well if the Rolex sales people do not know their models a majority of the time, imagine a regular consumer!

I hope they get you the correct watch, assuming you still feel the 28mm is a better fit for you.
Glad you took the time to write this so I didn’t have to. Shocked at the amount of people giving this OP such a hard time. No way a non WIS would know 31 fron 28 unless they tried in side by side. Clear to me this AD knew that and took advantage to make a sale. They probably never thought they would check after tbe fact. Hopefully OP has some type of legal help in the UK. I’d go after this hard with bad reviews of the business, etc.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:09 AM   #95
Jacobson
"TRF" Member

Easy to see how you can mistake a DJ31 for a 28mm if they were not next to each other.

Best way to tackle this issue would to to get in touch with trading standards, in the past they have been able to help me out with problems I had with a car purchase.
Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:25 AM   #96
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

For those attorneys on this thread - while I sympathize w the OP, how is this not a “he said she said” issue ? How would this legally be disputed, assuming the AD did not violate any return policies ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:32 AM   #97
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I personally think the 31 looks great on you, and watch sizes have gotten larger for women too.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:35 AM   #98
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i think the 31 looks better... however, its your watch and you are the one who will be wearing it.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:45 AM   #99
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
We have had this before and the AD, esp in the UK where ADs are like Kings and will now have NO knowledge of anything other than the popular sports models which ofc they never have in, will just want to make the sale and it is a question of buyer beware. I know you feel you could trust FH but those days are long gone I'm afraid, and I'm not surprised the AD is calling you a liar basically.

I suppose you could write to Rolex HQ and tell FH you will do so and mention their names and very poor service. Also that you will on this forum too, which is something they are increasingly nervous about.

So which FH was this?
Sorry to hear OP's bad experience on first rolex purchase. I'd agree with possibly approaching Rolex HQ on the phone, in an open and honest conversation, being as factual and accurate as you can, and naming the said branch of Fraser Hart, and seek their advice on the matter. They might get involved and help you get the issue sorted out.

Also, not sure which FH branch u had the issue with but from experience at having spoken to several staff of all levels in a FH near me several times, their attitude is pretty consistently appalling, theyre really big on the whole if you dont buy from us regularly we not keen to help you get that watch you want, which might be fair enough you could say but not in the WAY they say it. They seem to alienate a new buyer unless its for an easy to get piece, and they dont even try to hide the fact.

OP cant really be expected to know model references off by heart or the difference in a few mm visually without a side by side comparison. As long as she stated she wants the 28 the shop should've shown her the 28....and if they didn't have a 28 but had a 31 of the same visual design then they could of course offer to show her a very similar piece in case she might want that instead. So this tends to point at being either intentionally mis-sold or an AD that dont know what theyre doing themselves, neither which is good.

On the other hand OP, do you dislike the watch they gave you, if not maybe you want to consider keeping it, unless you simply don't like the sizing on your wrist, sounds like you do as you were happy with it in store at the time or purchase?

Sound like you probably like the new watch - just not the fact that it isnt the one you thought u were buying? Seeing as u paid about the same, and it looks the same aside from the size, maybe you'll be able to overlook this experience and turn it into a positive, at the end of the day u have a beautiful new watch, one you like it seems?
sarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:48 AM   #100
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
For those attorneys on this thread - while I sympathize w the OP, how is this not a “he said she said” issue ? How would this legally be disputed, assuming the AD did not violate any return policies ?
Unfortunately, it may literally come down to a "he said, she said" dispute. Return policies are pursuant to the contract of sale. That contract is breached if the seller does not provide the goods agreed upon, and the provisions of the contract are then not enforceable. Put more simply, the store's policies are irrelevant if they sold the OP the wrong watch. The problem for OP is proving that happened. If there is no documentation showing OP's intent to buy the 28mm model, and no one at the store acknowledges that was the model agreed upon in the sale, then OP is left with her word against the store's. The fact that she left with the watch on her wrist could lead a court to conclude she knowingly purchased the 31mm, even though we can see how she could have done so unknowingly.

That's if this comes down to a legal dispute. OP still can try diplomacy with the store in the hopes she can get them to come around, or see if her credit card company will back her up.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:55 AM   #101
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
My wife has a 1985 DJ in 26mm. We bought it new and its been a great watch. She's now upgraded to a DJ 31mm. (I tried talking her into a 36mm) The Larger size is much better and easier to read the time. Do you realize that 3mm difference is less than 1/8"? To almost everyone thats undetectable size wise unless there both side by side and then they will still look the same. I would enjoy what you have and when you get older your eyes will appreciate the bigger window.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:59 AM   #102
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I also think the 31 looks better on you. I wish the best trying to get this resolved.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 02:30 AM   #103
Sprta
"TRF" Member

First make the decision whether you want to keep the watch. If not, contact your cc company. Explain to them there would be no logical reason for you makeup this story. Chances are you will not be the first one to complain about this seller.
In my experience cc companies try to favor the buyer, for this reason. If the buyer is unhappy with the outcome they may lose a customer. If the seller is unhappy they are not going to refuse to take that companies cc.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 02:51 AM   #104
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

My AD in the USA gives a two week return no questions asked. Return or exchange. My wife is 5' and 95lbs, small Asian women and loves her DJ 36mm
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 03:12 AM   #105
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Get back on to the manager and ask him to look at cctv footage of the time you purchased, don,t know if it will have sound, might do. See what he comes back with
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:15 AM   #106
Lalalar
"TRF" Member

Already been down that route. The store manager has sided with his SA and says the SA told me that i was aware the watch I bought was not the 28 and the 31. I have also received an email from their Area Manager who has also said the same. That the store didn't have my size but the SA brought out a similar watch in the larger size and I was happy with the larger size.
Lalalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:19 AM   #107
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Quote:
Already been down that route. The store manager has sided with his SA and says the SA told me that i was aware the watch I bought was not the 28 and the 31. I have also received an email from their Area Manager who has also said the same. That the store didn't have my size but the SA brought out a similar watch in the larger size and I was happy with the larger size.

Have you contacted your cc company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:50 AM   #108
PA23-160
"TRF" Member

That 31 looks beautiful on that wrist, but I'm not the one that needs to be pleased.

I'm otherwise in the camp that this is a high-dollar luxury item and an honest and professional dealer of luxury items has a much higher standard of service to adhere to, including in making sure that sales are done right.

But (paraphrasing the grandfatherly advice) you had better make sure that watch doesn't tell perfect time before you give it back.
PA23-160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 06:13 AM   #109
rickmanuk
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I think it's forgivable that the difference wasn't noticed at the point of sale considering you claimed to have specified the model you wanted to purchase, and the fact the case measurements are so similar. If the dealer had given you examples of both sizes and made apparent to you the differences, the situation could have been avoided.

For the representative to claim you were lying isn't the experience you expect when you've just spent a significant amount of money with them, not forgetting the premium paid for the supposedly better service from an authorised dealer.

Please don't give up on this, I suspect they have employed these tactics in the hope you don't take it any further.

Best of luck!
rickmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 07:41 AM   #110
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So u have given the AD and the area manager a chance and now it seems time to go to Rolex UK, and the credit card company for support I think. Let the CC do the chasing and the info gathering now and see what comes out of it?
sarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 07:45 AM   #111
BUZITO1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega speedmaster
Whats the problem? You agree with the price? They sold a 31mm for the price of a 31mm? We where aware to buy a 28mm for the price of a 31mm, dont know the prices but think that would habe been worse...

Go to the shop, explain and change it

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
BUZITO1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 08:31 AM   #112
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Unfortunately, it may literally come down to a "he said, she said" dispute. Return policies are pursuant to the contract of sale. That contract is breached if the seller does not provide the goods agreed upon, and the provisions of the contract are then not enforceable. Put more simply, the store's policies are irrelevant if they sold the OP the wrong watch. The problem for OP is proving that happened. If there is no documentation showing OP's intent to buy the 28mm model, and no one at the store acknowledges that was the model agreed upon in the sale, then OP is left with her word against the store's. The fact that she left with the watch on her wrist could lead a court to conclude she knowingly purchased the 31mm, even though we can see how she could have done so unknowingly.

That's if this comes down to a legal dispute. OP still can try diplomacy with the store in the hopes she can get them to come around, or see if her credit card company will back her up.

thanks, that’s exactly what I was thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 08:52 AM   #113
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
Quote:
Managed to shrink my images.
Pink one obviously is the 31 I bought and the silver one is a 28 I tried on in October last year. Like one responder said, the 31 did cross my mind and seem a little large but it didn't really ring any alarm bells because I asked for a 28 and assumed it would be a 28 so never doubted the SA. This is my first Rolex and no, I am not familiar with all the different model numbers and how a few mm will look to my untrained eye. Yes, it is only 3mm but to my eye, the 28 looks a little more elegant and feminine on my wrist. Also the roman numerals and general text on the 28 seem to fill the face better but I could just be niggle picking.
Wrist shots sure do look better on women than hairy armed men!

I think both look great and I would even go with the bigger one as bigger looks more in vogue currently on women.
soxfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 08:58 AM   #114
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Hi OP, sorry to hear about this problem with your first rolex. However from the images you have posted above I think the 31mm pink dial looks perfectly fine on your wrist. I hope you get the solution you want.

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 09:35 AM   #115
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:

Sorry to hear all this. What a terrible first Rolex purchase experience. I hope you get the watch you wanted. I wish I had some sage advise, but the watch pros here have already said it all. Dispute it through your credit card company. Complain through the better business bureau or whatever there is there. Ask that area manager for his or her bosses name and keep complaining up the chain until you are satisfied. You will get satisfaction, it just depends how much time and energy you put into it and if it’s worth it to you physically and mentally. I would make us a cardboard sign and carry it in front of their store as a protest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 09:58 AM   #116
Timetracker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel bad for you, but the watch looks great on you. Having said that, if you really can’t love it, go after what you want. Best of luck.
Timetracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 11:54 AM   #117
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
Well said. Buyers remorse is no reason for a credit card dispute. IMHO after spending an hour in the store you liked what you got whether it was 28mm or not. That being said there is no reason for the sales person implying you lied. A simple referral to the store policy should suffice.
Just read upto post 78 and and now give up!
Well done to post 47 for giving it straight, and those who quoted post 47.
I really can not sympathise at all with the OP. In fact this post is so hard to believe, I don’t believe it.
It’s not possible to gush over a watch, say I like it enough to buy it and then a day later say - yeah you know what it’s not the watch I wanted.
Sorry, some things in life deserve sympathy, I’ll pass on this one.
Caveat emptor. However if the OP is twelve, using daddy’s credit card that charges things a touch - but not enough.
Sure the store could bend over backwards and loose money to appease you. Followed the next day by people doing exactly what the OP did. I think it’s time to grow up.
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:07 PM   #118
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
This was a mistake on the part of the OP and while she may be disappointed it's time to accept that and move on. I've been there myself and everyone here has made mistakes in their watch collecting history. That being said there's no point wasting your time tweeting, or complaining to the management, or going to court, or writing to Rolex because they will all say the same thing. OP needs to accept she owns a perfectly beautiful watch which was just fine until she realized she didn't pay enough, lol!!
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:41 PM   #119
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Good luck in getting the watch you really wanted, hat’s what matters most !

I do like the 31mm on your wrist though.

Old 26 February 2018, 12:54 PM   #120
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP View Post
Caveat emptor. However if the OP is twelve, using daddy’s credit card that charges things a touch - but not enough... I think it’s time to grow up.
You're out of line. You don't have to sympathize with the OP, but your insults are uncalled for.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote