The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2018, 05:38 AM   #1
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Watch: Sub 16613 / 114060
Saving Lives At Sea

I would like to share with you all the daily work we do keeping our waters safe & promoting safety at sea across many maritime sectors with a series of posts with photos and videos from our Lifeboat & MCA stations around the UK.

Our dedicated RNLI Volunteer Crews risk there own lives to save others in peril 24/7 365 Days a Year.

Our work involves training many teams throughout The RNLI & MCA, Testing new systems to aid response times and new life saving aids.

While Promoting safety awareness along our coastal areas in the hope we might just save a life.

Our seasonal charity groups offer life changing sailing & power boating experiences to many disabled & underprivileged organisations from around the UK.

And all this is offered at no cost to anyone who needs our services every day of the year.

Welcome to The World of Safety At Sea UK (The Maritime Group) Non Profit Group

RNLI & MCA 2018 Programme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coastguard 01.jpg (6.8 KB, 511 views)
Lord Woodford MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 05:50 AM   #2
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Life-jackets do save lives.

For years we have tried to promote the one simple rule of wearing a Lifejacket our latest video published late 2017 & will be used this forthcoming season.

When is the best time to put on a Lifejacket... ???

Put on Your Lifejacket Now, Because it's Useless Unless Worn

https://youtu.be/wiGDwGNqoYQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC 03.jpg (6.8 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg safety 11.jpg (11.2 KB, 503 views)
Old 11 January 2018, 06:15 AM   #3
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Ive have swam with the best of them. Mother Nature always wins. Life jackets are just as important as seatbelts. Wear them!! Thank you for what you do
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 10:27 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
A very important reminder, indeed! Thanks for keeping things safe out there
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 10:33 AM   #5
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 04:27 AM   #6
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Respect the Water

Taken from our RNLI Campaign due to be released once again this coming season with a few added tweaks

Respect the Water was our 2017 national drowning prevention campaign. It highlights the risks, helps you avoid them and gives advice to keep you and those around you safe.

Respect the Water is at the heart of every maritime network prevention work, which is aimed at promoting safety advice to all who visit the coast. We want you to enjoy the water, but we also want you to recognise its dangers and never underestimate its power.

It’s our goal to halve the number of accidental coastal deaths by 2024...... The campaign aims to show those most at risk the potential dangers of water, to encourage them to reconsider their actions and adopt safer behavior.

Current drowning figures show a clear gender divide, with men accounting for over two-thirds of those who die. So the campaign is primarily aimed at men, particularly those aged between 16 and 39 years, who are more likely to take risks. Although the safety advice is just as relevant for anyone visiting the coast.

Around 190 people lose their lives at the UK and Irish coasts each year, and over half never even planned to enter the water.

This year, Respect the Water will focus on simple skills that could save a life

Fight your instinct, not the water

Please feel free to click on the link below & add any comments you may have.

https://youtu.be/fgASxPh-xqU

Thank you for your interest in our work.. The Maritime Network UK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg life jacket 04.jpg (7.1 KB, 408 views)
Old 12 January 2018, 04:47 AM   #7
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Just a few photos of The Amazing RNLI crews in action from around the UK.

Who all are available at a moments notice 24/7 365 Days a Year.

The Maritime Group - Promoting Safety At Sea since 1975.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LB 02.jpg (5.7 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg LB 03.jpg (6.6 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg RBL 01.jpg (8.7 KB, 404 views)
Old 14 January 2018, 01:00 AM   #8
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Maritime &
Coastguard
Agency

THE MCA - United Kingdom

Our team has many roles within the MCA, From overseeing the daily operations of our task fleet within Coastal and Offshore ops including inland rescues where needed.

We work to prevent the loss of life on the coast and at sea. We produce legislation and guidance on maritime matters, and provide certification to seafarers.

Please use the link below for more information on The MCA

http://www.gov.uk/government/organis...d-agency/about

The Maritime Group - Dedicated to saving lives at sea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coastguard 03.jpg (7.4 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg Coastguard 02.jpg (8.2 KB, 365 views)
Old 14 January 2018, 01:17 AM   #9
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

THE MCA at work

Coastguard helicopter works against fading light to rescue cragfast climbers

http://hmcoastguard.blogspot.co.uk/2...s-against.html

Taken from our own MCA Blogspot giving you a little insight into our coastal & Inland operations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MCA 03.jpg (7.7 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg MCA 02.jpg (4.4 KB, 361 views)
Old 14 January 2018, 01:25 AM   #10
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Ex-MCA MS 1 surveyor here. Great job and I still miss it at times.

The CG and RNLI do some amazing stuff

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 01:41 AM   #11
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Ex-MCA MS 1 surveyor here. Great job and I still miss it at times.

The CG and RNLI do some amazing stuff
Thank you for your reply - & your past service you must of seen some outrageous conditions of seagoing vessels that really shouldn't be floating.

I have a cases over three to four years old still ongoing...mostly seized vessels.
Old 14 January 2018, 01:50 AM   #12
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I go out on Multi-day fishing tips in the Pacific and we always have a safety meeting at the beginning of each trip. One of the things that I always find interesting are the night watches. They have a crewman on deck all night to make sure nobody goes overboard.

I’ve heard stories of these boats losing someone at sea at night. Go overboard at night and you’re pretty much done for. It is pitch black and once you’re a few feet away from the boat nobody could possibly hear you over the sound of the generator running 24/7. And nobody wears life jackets on a fishing boat.

One time on one of the smaller overnight boats I went to use the head in the middle of the night. You had to go out on the deck and make your way to the bow of the boat to get to the head and there was a crewman who told me to be careful as it was a bit choppy and there was a large shark spotted near the boat recently... meaning he didn’t want me to go for a swim I guess.

I like the larger long range boats, they are more comfortable with heads in the main cabin and down below where the staterooms are (and by staterooms, I mean a room with a door, a sink, two bunks, one up and one down, and a place to stow some gear). Those boats go out on 10-14 day trips 100s of miles offshore. I’ve been on a few 3 day trips, a buddy of mine went on a 7 day trip once on one of the boats I’ve been on before.

I’ve been boarded by the US Coast Guard once coming back from Catalina Island on a 38’ sailboat. It was a quick safety inspection but man, those guys come locked and loaded. They aren’t messing around and they’ll write you up for expired flares.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 02:05 AM   #13
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Our teams work hard all year promoting safety at sea & coastal waters all around the UK trying to get the message across using a wide range of multimedia resources including Government TV add campaigns.

But each and every year will still have to sadly report fatalities along our coastal & inland waterways.

We currently run many free training programmes working alongside The RYA (Royal Yachting Association).

Offering courses involving the use of basic rescue equipment and electronic aids.

Please feel free to add your own thoughts and ideas you may have.

The Maritime Group Promoting Safety At Sea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coastguard 04.jpg (55.5 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg Man-Overboard-02.jpg (10.5 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg safety 09.jpg (8.8 KB, 352 views)
Old 14 January 2018, 03:10 AM   #14
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Active Master Mariner here, I am very grateful for you guys
Old 14 January 2018, 11:56 PM   #15
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I go out on Multi-day fishing tips in the Pacific and we always have a safety meeting at the beginning of each trip. One of the things that I always find interesting are the night watches. They have a crewman on deck all night to make sure nobody goes overboard.
Please find attached one of our RNLI video`s from last year attending the sad loss of a Trawler off the Shetland Islands.

It`s fighting how quick everything happens -

The Maritime Group

http://www.rnlivideolibrary.org.uk/play/tAaxmsRe
Old 15 January 2018, 12:01 AM   #16
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Your most welcome but we only play a small part within a very large network of (Shout) teams around the UK. The Teams in the US are just amazing..

- Safe Watch & Fair winds -
Old 15 January 2018, 12:49 AM   #17
BravoOne
Banned

One of my co-workers has a story that will send chills down your spine. He is very experienced boat owner here in the Northwest and was cruising in he gulf islands on his 34" diesel trawler. It was morning and he was having a cup of coffee as he motored maybe 3 or 4 miles behind a Canadian mine sweeper. As he looked out over the water he thought he saw body in the water so he took a closer look with his binocs and sure enough it was a person barely waving for his attention. He was alone and as he pulled along side he saw that it was a woman with a vest on who had fallen off the Canadian mine sweeper as she was painting on the sides of he hull, There had been a person assigned to watch for her safety but for reasons unknown, did not notice her missing status. The gal in the water was not in good condition and getting her onboard his boat was very difficult. Finally managed to haul her onboard but as one might imagine she was in shock and her body temp was very low,

Once it was determined where she had come from, they called the Canadian ship on Channel 16 and asked if they missing a crewmember as he had one of their onboard his boat. After a short pause the Canadians asked if he had a cell phone as obviously they did not want to broadcast what had just happened to the world. They arranged to pull into a close by port and pass one very lucky woman off to the Canadian Navy.

That is about as close to a near death experience as one would ever want to get on the water.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 01:17 AM   #18
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Woodford MBE View Post
Thank you for your reply - & your past service you must of seen some outrageous conditions of seagoing vessels that really shouldn't be floating.

I have a cases over three to four years old still ongoing...mostly seized vessels.
I never got involved with seized vessels.

We pulled a few ships over in my four years there though. My favourite was a tanker full of aviation gas and during a walk around the main deck, something didn’t look right with the deck itself. It was hammering down with rain and it wasn’t as if I could see anything; I still can’t put my finger on it to this day. Anyhoo, I stopped dead and dropped to one knee, started prodding around. I asked the C/O for a scraper or blade of some sort and he gave me a screw driver. I then lifted a flap of glass fibre of about ten inches by six inches that had been moulder over a crack in the deck, right atop a cargo tank, about eight inches long and an inch or two at it's widest. Unbelievable.

We had our fair share of rotten bulk carriers too.

Very interesting job. I particularly enjoyed being an examiner of Masters and Mates too

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 15 January 2018, 01:18 AM   #19
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Another Master Mariner here. Been ashore since 2001 but still in the industry

Old 29 January 2018, 02:08 AM   #20
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Minimising Time Saves lives (The Maritime Group)

http://hmcoastguard.blogspot.co.uk/2...ur-nuncle.html

Please feel free to add your own comments or ideas on our MCA operations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download-10-12.jpg (33.6 KB, 271 views)
Old 30 January 2018, 04:22 AM   #21
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

The Maritime Group.

What does it take to become a member of the RNLI

http://youtu.be/mYvxCVYrr0I
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (5).jpg (8.9 KB, 238 views)
Old 30 January 2018, 04:34 AM   #22
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Proudly Saving lives at sea

More videos shared by our crews from around the UK

Please support the RNLI

http://youtu.be/Wf_pRVdhLWU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (2).jpg (9.5 KB, 236 views)
Old 30 January 2018, 05:43 AM   #23
Houstongator
2024 Pledge Member

Former US Coast Guard officer – Office of Boating Safety.

I have the dubious distinction of being the person that came up with the term “personal flotation device” to replace “life saving device.”

The Admiral did not care for LSD.
Houstongator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 08:55 PM   #24
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

It is with great sadness to say our final farewell today 02/02/2018 as we attend the Funeral of an RNLI Hero.

Mr Ron Cannon MBE
For Services to Maritime Safety (RNLI)

Who was Honored for his services in Our Queen`s Birthday Honours List of 2017
But sadly past away on the 07/01/2018.

He was a crew member on Ramsgate lifeboat at one of the busiest stations in Britain for 37 years, and served as coxswain for 25 of those.

During his time at the helm of Ramsgate lifeboat he was awarded two silver Gallantry medals, the RNLI’s second highest honour.
Following family tradition, Mr Cannon joined Ramsgate lifeboat crew in 1964 and was appointed the station’s coxswain/mechanic in 1976, at the time the RNLI’s youngest coxswain.
This was shortly before the arrival at the station of the RNLI’s Waveney class lifeboat Ralph and Joy Swann, a new and advanced lifeboat design based upon a vessel proven by the US Coastguard.
He was twice awarded the RNLI’s silver medal for “truly outstanding seamanship and tremendous courage”.
The first was during the evening on Boxing Day 1985 when he and his volunteer lifeboat crew members saved a French trawler and its seven-man crew when the trawler had run aground in Ramsgate’s Pegwell Bay.
The second was in November 1999, when he led his crew to rescue the three people aboard a yacht aground on the Goodwin Sands in difficult and dangerous conditions.
For each of these rescues he was also presented with The Maud Smith Award for that year’s bravest act of lifesaving by a lifeboat crew member.
Before retiring Mr Cannon carried out hundreds of rescues.
He was succeeded by his eldest son Ian but has maintained association with Ramsgate lifeboat station, first as a deputy launching authority and subsequently as lifeboat operations manager until he reached the RNLI’s required retirement age.
His active support for the RNLI and the station continues, however, as president of the station’s management committee.

He will be sadly missed by many

And many owe there lives to his commitment to the RNLI -
(Saving Lives At Sea)

This is In Memory Of Mr R Cannon MBE.

We Will Remember Him

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/n...cannon-158049/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr Ron Cannon MBE.jpg (123.4 KB, 217 views)
Old 4 February 2018, 03:54 AM   #25
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

A Normal Day In The RNLI

The Volunteers Documentary

http://youtu.be/jqpWvDsE1cw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (2).jpg (9.5 KB, 193 views)
Old 4 February 2018, 04:00 AM   #26
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

The Cruel Seas and for all those in peril on the sea...

http://youtu.be/yeIX0VnUMKo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (1).jpg (9.5 KB, 189 views)
Old 14 February 2018, 06:32 AM   #27
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Our Maritime Group Updates

This post look at the dramatic moment our Lee-on-Solent Coastguard helicopter found a man who’d been missing since Sunday near Monk's Bay on the Isle of Wight.

UK Coastguard Network

http://hmcoastguard.blogspot.co.uk/2...oastguard.html
Old 25 February 2018, 03:37 AM   #28
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

The Maritime Group HM Coastguard Updates from our UK blogspot.

Saving Lives At Sea

http://hmcoastguard.blogspot.co.uk/2...r-fishing.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download-10-12.jpg (33.6 KB, 140 views)
Old 25 February 2018, 03:40 AM   #29
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Woodford MBE View Post
Our Maritime Group Updates

This post look at the dramatic moment our Lee-on-Solent Coastguard helicopter found a man who’d been missing since Sunday near Monk's Bay on the Isle of Wight.

UK Coastguard Network

http://hmcoastguard.blogspot.co.uk/2...oastguard.html
Here I was completely unknowing that I even had a bay.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:42 AM   #30
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

The Maritime Group Coastguard Operational Updates

Saving Lives at Sea

http://hmcoastguard.blogspot.co.uk/2...ue-father.html