The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 February 2018, 05:30 AM   #31
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
What about the Conquistador?

Looks like a nice place. We looked at it but used our Hilton points up in Toronto and Niagara last fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 06:26 AM   #32
sotoa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What about the Conquistador?
Their not 100% open. Currently the hotels that are working with full service are in San Juan.
sotoa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:27 AM   #33
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Just saw too that the Morton’s in the Caribe Hilton is closed.

Old 19 February 2018, 10:40 AM   #34
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Just saw too that the Morton’s in the Caribe Hilton is closed.

Bummer to hear. There is still a Ruth’s Chris in the Intercontinental in Isla Verde. It’s about 15-20minutes from the Caribe Hilton. Since you’re at the Marriott, it’s even closer. Isla Verde is closer to the airport. Have fun this coming week.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 05:22 AM   #35
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Place isn’t bad. Lot of stores open and some good traffic. But lots still closed or vacant on the beach. San Juan reminds me a lot of Mexico or DR.

Old 22 February 2018, 05:01 PM   #36
Sierraxray
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT ii
hello and welcome to the isalnd!!!
Happy to see someone from the forum visiting the enchanted island. I have been living here for three years now. Sadly, the rain forest is not open yet to the public due to most of the trails are still not passable. The telescope is an awesome sight, along with Cabo Rojo and Rincon. The west has an extremely chill vibe and is spectacular around this time of year. Vieques and Culebra offer stunning, pristine beaches that are second to none in the region and may be accessed by ferry or air. Mostly all of the shops in Old San Juan are open, and the comfortable breezes this time of year make walking around most comfortable. I agree that dragonfly is a fine place to eat. A really nice place close to there is Marmalade, which offers multiple courses and wine pairings and a fantastic atmosphere.
Sierraxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:03 PM   #37
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraxray View Post
hello and welcome to the isalnd!!!

Happy to see someone from the forum visiting the enchanted island. I have been living here for three years now. Sadly, the rain forest is not open yet to the public due to most of the trails are still not passable. The telescope is an awesome sight, along with Cabo Rojo and Rincon. The west has an extremely chill vibe and is spectacular around this time of year. Vieques and Culebra offer stunning, pristine beaches that are second to none in the region and may be accessed by ferry or air. Mostly all of the shops in Old San Juan are open, and the comfortable breezes this time of year make walking around most comfortable. I agree that dragonfly is a fine place to eat. A really nice place close to there is Marmalade, which offers multiple courses and wine pairings and a fantastic atmosphere.

Beautiful island and the people have been wonderful. Everyone is so helpful and grateful that we are here. I believe that everyone of the restaurant and shop workers/owners we have encountered has specifically said thank you for coming to the island when they found out that we were from Indiana.

The amount of english that is spoken is remarkable. Run into very few communication issues with our broken Spanish (at best) skills.

Will post up some pictures when I get them cleaned up and sorted.

We stayed at La Concha and did head down tot the Fort and Old San Juan. Great time.

Old 22 February 2018, 10:41 PM   #38
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Beautiful island and the people have been wonderful. Everyone is so helpful and grateful that we are here. I believe that everyone of the restaurant and shop workers/owners we have encountered has specifically said thank you for coming to the island when they found out that we were from Indiana.

The amount of english that is spoken is remarkable. Run into very few communication issues with our broken Spanish (at best) skills.

We stayed at La Concha and did head down tot the Fort and Old San Juan. Great time.

Same thing in Florida.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:43 PM   #39
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Same thing in Florida.

LOL.

We are stopping in Ft. Lauderdale on the way home today and have hours to spend. Will head out and report back.

Old 23 February 2018, 02:27 AM   #40
Sierraxray
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT ii
Very happy to hear you had a great time. This place and the people have been nothing short awesome since I moved here from the states.
Looking forward to the photos
Sierraxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 02:30 AM   #41
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

conquistador closed after the hurricane :(

Quote:
Check if the Conquistador is serving Sunday brunch.

Nothing on the island compares to theirs.
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 02:32 AM   #42
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

There is uber but be careful, big fighting between taxis and uber, don't get picked up at the hotel or you might have a bad experience. Walk to the little plaza next to the hotel and grab uber there!

Quote:
Place isn’t bad. Lot of stores open and some good traffic. But lots still closed or vacant on the beach. San Juan reminds me a lot of Mexico or DR.

Old 23 February 2018, 02:35 AM   #43
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

Man try these places you won't regret it: La Jaquita Baya, Lote 23(cool for trucks and local). La Plactita ( a farmers market that turns into a huge street party at night!)

Quote:

Old 23 February 2018, 07:02 AM   #44
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Quote:
Same thing in Florida.

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:05 AM   #45
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Here are a few of the better shots I was able to capture and a collage the wife put together. We went to the fort and Old San Juan for a day. Found a couple great little restaurants and had a great time. Everyone was appreciative that we were there visiting and the taxi system is very efficient, but a little expensive in my opinion. The coffee was fantastic. Not sure if it was the bean/roasting or the method but phenomenal. We will go back sooner rather than later. Want to see the rainforest and several other attractions that were still closed or in the process of being rebuilt. We are somewhat shopping for a spot to expat when I retire but have a few years left to go!!!

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Old 24 February 2018, 11:05 AM   #46
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
great shots

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:38 AM   #47
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Looks great! El Morro Fort never gets old to walk around. I totally forgot about the coffee! Thanks for sharing.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 01:02 PM   #48
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
Thanks for sharing. You took me back to a great memory. PR is definitely a magical place. The Mrs. and I had a chance to drive around the island and stay at various spots along the way. Visiting Culebra Island was breathtaking and swimming of the coast of Palqueta in the moonlight activating the glowing bioluminescent organisms was breathtaking!!!!
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 01:07 PM   #49
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:

Most of the ones in Orlando can't/won't speak a word of English. The PR government has done the people there a huge disservice by not having school conducted in English only.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:13 AM   #50
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHISTORY View Post
Thanks for sharing. You took me back to a great memory. PR is definitely a magical place. The Mrs. and I had a chance to drive around the island and stay at various spots along the way. Visiting Culebra Island was breathtaking and swimming of the coast of Palqueta in the moonlight activating the glowing bioluminescent organisms was breathtaking!!!!

There were a few other things that we wanted to do and a cruise ship unexpectedly docked in the port. Apparently it was supposed to head to DR but the swell was too large for them to get in port there. It tied up about every tour including the Bacardi tour we were thinking about.

We will go back when the hotels on the east side of the island are back open and do the bioluminescent tour and the rainforest with the kids. This was a solo trip for the wife and I to get the lay of the land. If it is somewhere relatively close and easy to get to we often do that.

Old 25 February 2018, 03:23 AM   #51
figbo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Most of the ones in Orlando can't/won't speak a word of English. The PR government has done the people there a huge disservice by not having school conducted in English only.
We took english classes from elementary until high and then college,if you don't learn is because you don't want too.I had a classmate that refused to learn english stating that he will never leave the island then he got drafted.

p club member #9
Old 25 February 2018, 04:42 AM   #52
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by figbo View Post
We took english classes from elementary until high and then college,if you don't learn is because you don't want too.I had a classmate that refused to learn english stating that he will never leave the island then he got drafted.
Hey Rafael! I'm more thinking the entire school should be conducted in English, all the classes. Like the private schools in S America. There they graduate fluent.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:56 AM   #53
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would imagine, just like anything else, if it were required to earn a living or better someone’s situation they would learn. If you plan to travel to another country you should at least have a basic working knowledge of the culture and language, in my opinion. To expect everyone to conform to you is short sided and a tad selfish.

On our way down to San Juan from Orlando where we connected the flight attendant had to remove 3 people from the exit rows because they could not speak English to acknowledge that they were willing to perform the necessary duties. Even when asked in Spanish they looked clueless.

I think the people in the service industry know that speaking English is a valuable skill just like I stress to my kids that learning to speak Spanish is a valuable skill in the US. It goes both ways.

Old 26 February 2018, 05:21 AM   #54
figbo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Rafael! I'm more thinking the entire school should be conducted in English, all the classes. Like the private schools in S America. There they graduate fluent.
Howdy,Art!Long time don't see you,how is the family?

p club member #9
Old 26 February 2018, 05:29 AM   #55
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Howdy,Art!Long time don't see you,how is the family?
All is well. Hello to Lily!
Old 28 February 2018, 01:03 AM   #56
figbo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All is well. Hello to Lily!

p club member #9
Old 28 February 2018, 01:07 AM   #57