The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2018, 08:10 AM   #1
Haddles
"TRF" Member

1961 gmt

Hello All, new to the forum and after a bit of advice please.

I have a 1961 GMT that I have owned for about 6 years that needs some repairs, the date won't change and the hour and minute hands are a little out of sync. I took it back to the Rolex Dealer I purchased the watch from for a service and repair, but their watch maker wasn't happy to do the work on such an old watch, even though he did it just before I bought it. Anyway, they sent it to the RSC in London for an estimate, who have now stated it needs to go to Geneva to be done at the factory workshop. The technician apparently said he has only ever seen one so good and so original once before and they would not even estimate the repairs but will only let Geneva do any of the work. I am over the moon that the watch might be so original and according to them, valuable, I really wasn't aware of this and have been using the watch quite often over the past few years. They are quoting £1500 estimation fee which will go towards the cost of the repairs if I proceed with any work required, but obviously isn't refundable if I don't. Has anyone got any experience of this type of situation, and how did you get on?

Sorry my first post on here is asking for advice, but I'm not an experienced collector, I just loved the watch when I saw it and bought it to use. Now I am a bit unsure how to proceed and none of the above people will even give me an idea of what the watch might be worth to help me make a decision on how to proceed.

Any advice and your experiences with dealing with Geneva would be much appreciated.
Haddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Not sure I understand how the watchmaker who performed a service just before you bought it doesn't want to do the work this time around.

Either way, I doubt the watch is going to Geneva, there is a service center in Kings Hill with great reviews, and is state of the art. Just don't let them change any parts, only get the service - no polish etc...

As for your apology for your first post asking for advice, that's what this place is for! Also, we like pics, so please post some. A nice gilt GMT is always a great shot!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:59 AM   #3
Heartlandblaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Humble but mine!
X2--Would love to see some pics!
Heartlandblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Haddles
"TRF" Member

Thanks Tom, I also don't understand why the watchmaker won't carry out the work, he did a stunning job last time. It may possibly be because I left strict instructions to not change any parts at all as you have suggested. What surprises me more is that Rolex in London won't do it. They are saying it is because Geneva have the tools and parts required along with more expertise and won't send out the parts, they keep them all in house for this age of watch. I probably only have one not great picture of the watch and as it's still in London at the moment - I can't get any more. I will see what I have and try and post them later. The Rolex technician in London has told the agent I used that the watch is still all original face, hands, plexi, etc, and the case has hardly been polished at all hence the rarity and possibly value. The bracelet was brand new about 6 years ago when I bought the watch. I must admit I had no idea of all this and when I now look at other examples online - I can't find anything as nice looking. Other than a little bit of cracking in the lume on the hands, everything is very nice condition, the markers on the face even still glow the following morning after wearing it.

I absolutely love the watch and can't bring myself to not repair it so I can keep using it, but I also don't want to spend what could be thousands of pounds on a watch that may not have the value to warrant it. Neither Rolex or the agent seem keen to place a value on it for me.

I guess I'm just a bit nervous of sending it to Geneva and committing to a pretty open cheque book really - I will be £1500 in even if I don't go through with the repairs, this does seem a bit excessive for estimation! I was presuming RSC London would jus carry out a service and all would be fine.
Old 22 February 2018, 07:04 PM   #5
Wiener48
Banned

Some pics please, sounds interesting
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 03:22 AM   #6
Haddles
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the not so great picture - but the watch is still in London at Rolex, so I can't take any more. I have just spoken to the workshop supervisor in London who was very helpful. He seems to think it will probably just require a service but as they can't source new parts for a watch of this age - it has to go to Geneva where they could make the parts if required. He was very complimentary about the watch and it does look like it's all original except for the bracelet and bezel insert which I obviously knew. Looks like I might just have to take the hit and send it to Geneva, hoping a service will sort it and the cost won't exceed the £1500 fee to estimate it by too much. My other option may be to try someone like Stephen Hale in London, who seem to be very well regarded. Any opinions are welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMT.jpg (245.3 KB, 220 views)
Old 23 February 2018, 04:54 AM   #7
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Try Graham at Superlative Time in West London, he serviced my 63 GMT with no problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1335z.jpg (284.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg P1240257a.jpg (278.0 KB, 207 views)

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 05:08 AM   #8
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddles View Post
I absolutely love the watch and can't bring myself to not repair it so I can keep using it, but I also don't want to spend what could be thousands of pounds on a watch that may not have the value to warrant it. Neither Rolex or the agent seem keen to place a value on it for me.
It’s probably worth around £20K+
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 05:25 AM   #9
Haddles
"TRF" Member

Do you really think it might be worth around £20k? I keep seeing such varied asking prices online, that I have no idea where I would put the value. Thanks for the reply about a trusted watchmaker, I think I need to consider getting it done independently, especially with Rolex Geneva looking at repair times of up to a year! Obviously no shortage of work out there at the moment.
Old 23 February 2018, 09:13 AM   #10
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Find an independent watchmaker. Some of the forum folks in UK should be able to help, and less chance of wrong parts being replaced and much less money. That price is Ouch....
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 09:29 AM   #11
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddles View Post
Do you really think it might be worth around £20k? I keep seeing such varied asking prices online, that I have no idea where I would put the value. Thanks for the reply about a trusted watchmaker, I think I need to consider getting it done independently, especially with Rolex Geneva looking at repair times of up to a year! Obviously no shortage of work out there at the moment.
Yep. Just search for 'Rolex GMT 1961' on Chrono24.
Also note that most of the good watch repairers in the UK are snowed under at the moment with the vintage watch bubble in full swing...
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 04:01 PM   #12
Haddles
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your comments and advice, you have been very helpful. I think it is going to be best to use an independent watchmaker.

Then I've just got to decide whether I'm brave enough to wear it again if it might be worth that much. I would be gutted if I damaged it now I know how original it is.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss!
Old 23 February 2018, 04:04 PM   #13
Haddles
"TRF" Member

And Lee, your 63 is gorgeous, you couldn't get a better patina to a watch if you tried.