The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 February 2018, 12:22 PM   #1
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Correct service crown for late serial 1675?

Hi guys,

I’ve spent quite a bit of time researching this on my own, but haven’t got definitive answers. I hope experts here can help me out.

Context:

This is my 1977-ish 1675. I know that the crown has been replaced in the past (also the crystal). The rest of the watch is believed to be fully intact, came with box and Rolex Canada service receipt dated 1989, and all numbers are matching. The watch had an overhaul on the movement at that time, but the rest was left alone. My understanding is that the crown (and likely the tube) was routinely replaced and I am assuming that the current crown was installed at that time, but maybe it was replaced at a later point. I know that the crystal was replaced when it came to my dealer (I have the original one as well), but the crown wasn’t replaced then.

Question:

Is this crown an acceptable service part for this reference?

The crown looks a tiny bit wider than those picture I can find online. My understanding is that the correct size for 1675 is 5.3mm diameter where sapphire crystal equipped references used 6mm crown. I don’t have an accurate digital caliper at the moment, but the crown on my 1675 looks to be a tad bit over 5.3mm but less than 6mm. Crown is not touching the crown guards, but it’s very very close to the wall. But again, it’s NOT rubbing against the wall just by a hair (checked with 20x loupe).

Does anyone know if this is acceptable/correct service replacement crown? Or this is a 6mm crown that should not be there? Or it is 6mm crown AND considered to be acceptable service part?

Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge in advance!

coelacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:59 PM   #2
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
It has a similar crown as a midsize datejust. The men’s 6mm is too large.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 05:07 PM   #3
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
It has a similar crown as a midsize datejust. The men’s 6mm is too large.
Right. Ladies Datejust crown should be the right size for 1675. Just can’t be sure if the one I have is considered as an acceptable service replacement or not.
Old 23 February 2018, 01:03 AM   #4
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Did some more digging. I have seen a few genuine vintage parts vendors listing the 6mm crown (technically it's 5.93mm) as compatible replacement for 1675, but I'm sure that could well just mean it will physically fit (it does), and not confirming putting 6mm crown is/was an OK practice from Rolex's point of view. Bizarre thing is that, with the ownership history of the watch, it is likely Rolex Canada back in late 80s was who put the current replacement crown during the overhaul. I'm sure the larger crown worked better during Canadian winter for sure though. ;)

I do want to keep the watch watertight for daily wear so I am fine to have service parts as far as the crown and crystal go (I have original crystal in box), but I'd like to stay away from the watch being "franken" though it is not a major case of that.

I hope someone got more insights than I could research on my own.
Old 23 February 2018, 04:34 AM   #5
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
It should be 5.3 as listed in the R20 catalogue and still available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3040.jpg (207.2 KB, 86 views)

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 04:40 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanthus View Post
Did some more digging. I have seen a few genuine vintage parts vendors listing the 6mm crown (technically it's 5.93mm) as compatible replacement for 1675, but I'm sure that could well just mean it will physically fit (it does), and not confirming putting 6mm crown is/was an OK practice from Rolex's point of view. Bizarre thing is that, with the ownership history of the watch, it is likely Rolex Canada back in late 80s was who put the current replacement crown during the overhaul. I'm sure the larger crown worked better during Canadian winter for sure though. ;)

I do want to keep the watch watertight for daily wear so I am fine to have service parts as far as the crown and crystal go (I have original crystal in box), but I'd like to stay away from the watch being "franken" though it is not a major case of that.

I hope someone got more insights than I could research on my own.
The crown should be 5.3mm. If that is what you have, it is "good to go."

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 11:11 AM   #7
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Thank you Lee and JP for additional information.

I've talked to my dealer and they'll get correct genuine crown and tube, and get them fitted at no cost to me. Funny thing is that as far as we can tell (including this very well regarded dealer), the 5.93mm crown came from the overhaul done by Rolex Canada in 1989, and can't figure out why it was done that way. Maybe it really was a Canada Special for cold weather... (1/2 j/k)

Either way, it will get sorted out by early next week.

Thanks again for your help!!
Old 24 February 2018, 12:16 PM   #8
Valle de Joux
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanthus View Post
Hi guys,

I’ve spent quite a bit of time researching this on my own, but haven’t got definitive answers. I hope experts here can help me out.

Context:

This is my 1977-ish 1675. I know that the crown has been replaced in the past (also the crystal). The rest of the watch is believed to be fully intact, came with box and Rolex Canada service receipt dated 1989, and all numbers are matching. The watch had an overhaul on the movement at that time, but the rest was left alone. My understanding is that the crown (and likely the tube) was routinely replaced and I am assuming that the current crown was installed at that time, but maybe it was replaced at a later point. I know that the crystal was replaced when it came to my dealer (I have the original one as well), but the crown wasn’t replaced then.

Question:

Is this crown an acceptable service part for this reference?

The crown looks a tiny bit wider than those picture I can find online. My understanding is that the correct size for 1675 is 5.3mm diameter where sapphire crystal equipped references used 6mm crown. I don’t have an accurate digital caliper at the moment, but the crown on my 1675 looks to be a tad bit over 5.3mm but less than 6mm. Crown is not touching the crown guards, but it’s very very close to the wall. But again, it’s NOT rubbing against the wall just by a hair (checked with 20x loupe).

Does anyone know if this is acceptable/correct service replacement crown? Or this is a 6mm crown that should not be there? Or it is 6mm crown AND considered to be acceptable service part?

Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge in advance!

That is the correct crown. Rolex service centers use nothing but the correct crowns and casetubes on all of their servicing.
Valle de Joux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1675 , crown , mk4 , question , service