The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2018, 03:33 PM   #31
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
this is why rolex/tudor will start retailing online. ad's can be their own worst enemy.
I really hope so! To remove all that “junk” ADs and others do. Where watches would be first come first serve! Regardless of how much you spent at the dealer or “buy a diamond ring for your wife and the Daytona meticulously appears”!!
Old 24 February 2018, 03:50 PM   #32
mml4
"TRF" Member

The Daytona is beautiful but the TT SkyD in white is spectacular!! It would bother me to have my arm twisted by the AD but that "bundle" is hard to refuse.
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 03:54 PM   #33
Saturninus
"TRF" Member

you must stand by your convictions and refuse to buy that daytona!

(and then tell me where this AD is and how late they are open tonight...)
Saturninus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 04:12 PM   #34
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
I really hope so! To remove all that “junk” ADs and others do. Where watches would be first come first serve! Regardless of how much you spent at the dealer or “buy a diamond ring for your wife and the Daytona meticulously appears”!!
It's funny you bring that up...I am actually finishing up the engagement ring shopping process right now. I won't lie - working with a jeweler that was also a Rolex AD was something I strongly considered and ultimately explored. There are 2 in the LA area I tried this with. I did not have much luck with either store regarding the SS Daytona. Both told me that this would surely get me on their lists (that they of course aren't accepting any more names on) but they couldn't give me an explicit answer like "okay, we can put you at number x on the list for the white or number y for the black" or anything remotely like that. Both were rather opaque pitches that lacked anything that made me feel confident in improving my wait time for the watch. While I totally understand it does not make me a "VIP" client by any means and that I could be spending a whole lot more, I was kind of surprised that buying a ~$25K diamond ring didn't get me better treatment with my Daytona hunt. As a result of this, I ended up going with another jeweler (multiple relatives/friends gave the highest reviews) and am getting a better diamond at an unbeatable lower price...actually picking it up tomorrow! In the meantime, I'm still patiently waiting on the same list that I've been on for ~1.5 years. I'm hoping something changes soon - all this ring shopping has made my wait for this watch more unbearable than ever.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 04:16 PM   #35
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Doc- don't do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 05:19 PM   #36
adg31
"TRF" Member

The real story behind ADs lists!!!

So to get things clear in my mind, Rolex are reportedly trying to reduce the numbers of people flipping their watches by removing stickers,retaining cards, engraving case backs etc.
At the same time their AD's are encouraging customers to buy a watch they don't really want in order to obtain the one they really want.
Once the customer finally gets the one they really want they sell the one they didn't really want to start with - and get accused of being a flipper fuelling the grey market which takes us back to where we started...
I know I'm getting older but this works how???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 05:58 PM   #37
Tysonoxide
Banned

Watch: 116520
It might be a dick move but they have the rights to choose their customers.
Tysonoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 06:22 PM   #38
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I'd grab it, the SkyD is an awesome watch and getting the Daytona as a bonus is a win win.
The AD offering a package deal is understandable, he has to pay the rent and make a living.
This deal works out favourable for both, no harm in it
Old 24 February 2018, 07:15 PM   #39
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
seems like a good deal.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 07:18 PM   #40
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

The irony is that the ADs are now treating their normal customer like they treat grey market guys. Force a slow mover on them for a desirable watch. If this is the case I wouldn't feel the slightest bit guilty in flipping the SkyD to get the DaytonaC. Work a discount on the SkyD and buy the bundle. Then flip it and be happy with the DaytonaC. Even better, get the AD to finance it for you then pay them off with the funds you get from flipping it. Maybe start a career as a Trusted Seller.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 07:23 PM   #41
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Great opportunity if you want the two , I do prefer the white dial Daytona but could live with the black and no waiting list
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 07:29 PM   #42
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: D'tona,BLNR,Bronze
Interesting things happening at ADs. If ADs have trick up their sleeves, go with your tricks to get what you want to. If you can flip the black one and get a white one, that would be perfect!

A TT/PM Skydweller will come at a discount and that is something you really wanted as well (instead of a SS). A TT SkyD should have some discount, as mentioned in some other threads. Otherwise, the deal isn't worth it. A WG SkyD is quite expensive and the difference(between WG SkyD and SS/TT skyD) is equal to the premium you would pay for Daytona SS.

Depends on the maths and depends what you want to get. Hopefully it all works out and you get what you want.

And if you are paying list for WG skyD why not get the blue dial if that is what u want ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
jackcarls0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 10:31 PM   #43
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
I will most likely buy them and trade the Daytona for a white dial or sell it for the price of a white dial!

There’s a part in me that wants to keep it though. I will buy it and see!
I get your disagreement with this AD's methods, but on the other side you'll get 2 watches that you want. I also believe that if you'll ask them for the white dial Daytona, it will magically appear for you very soon.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 10:45 PM   #44
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
this is why rolex/tudor will start retailing online. ad's can be their own worst enemy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Looking forward to it, if it happens. Some of these AD “games” are souring the hobby.
Ditto! All of the AD games make me so angry (though I support their right to do as they want). It's tarnished Rolex for me like I didn't think possible; just sold my Explorer and I have no plans to buy another Rolex (maybe a Tudor).
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 10:56 PM   #45
Spoonage

It boggles me when I read these posts. I went to my AD told them I want a white dial SS DaytonaC... 3.5 months later I got the call to pick it up. No deposit, no list, no bundling, at MSRP.

The discussion I had with my AD was that she spoke to the owner, told him I deserved it because I am a good customer, and how I treat her staff. That has always worked for me in the past and will continue to work for me in the future. I am not a VIP by any means if we talk about volume or $$$ I've dropped in that AD... But I have built a relationship with them based on good conversation, visiting them just to say hi (and not only when I want a watch) and be patient and understanding.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:04 PM   #46
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

This whole story is problematic for me unless I am missing a detail. The AD had a stainless steel Daytona he was willing to sell you (meaning he would just cut through the aforementioned list), but only if you purchased a precious metal Sky-Dweller? There's now a contingency for purchasing watches in stock that are technically promised to others. Obviously a business can do whatever they like, but if you did choose to purchase both the Sky-Dweller and Daytona, someone's place on a list hasn't been honored.

I mean at the end of the day a business is supposed to make money, but if that's the case, don't make lists. If you don't care about the relationships, just put the Daytonas out the minute they come in. They will sell very quickly. All a list does from a pure sales standpoint is sell a watch now, that will likely sell a few hours or days from now anyway in the case of the Daytona. I've ordered Rolex watches from ADs when they did not have them in stock. I got a Milgauss in this fashion (they were a small family owned AD and made sure they had a GV Milgauss on their next shipment). If they sold that Milgauss to someone else who promised to buy another watch, I'd have been pretty upset.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:04 PM   #47
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
He said if you make a WG or TT skydweller, the Daytona will be yours!!!!

My jaw literally dropped to the floor and I was speechless how he do that!!

I left in a shock and disgust of how those rascals play the game of “lists” and how the list disappears all of a sudden and they rudely demand a “package” deal to sell those hot items
One of my local-ish ADs tried...

Bummer because now my thoughts as a longtime photojournalist within the luxury good sector and am sure at some point this would all make an interesting read. Maybe meet-up with my friends at Playboy, Rolling Stone, etc. Hmmm.....

There's a good story here..... Plenty of 'meat', emotion, and of the ways of luxury goods today within this economy.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:11 PM   #48
THC

Watch: 16610M
So....double incoming on Monday, it appears? Early Congrats Doc
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:12 PM   #49
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
It boggles me when I read these posts. I went to my AD told them I want a white dial SS DaytonaC... 3.5 months later I got the call to pick it up. No deposit, no list, no bundling, at MSRP.

The discussion I had with my AD was that she spoke to the owner, told him I deserved it because I am a good customer, and how I treat her staff. That has always worked for me in the past and will continue to work for me in the future. I am not a VIP by any means if we talk about volume or $$$ I've dropped in that AD... But I have built a relationship with them based on good conversation, visiting them just to say hi (and not only when I want a watch) and be patient and understanding.
Exactly how it should be. Just be honest with me and I'll be honest with you. I've used ADs and trusted sellers and each purchase is something I decide individually. My nearest AD has been very honest regarding their depleted professional line stock. They've told me they have no idea when they can promise particular pieces because they have no idea when they will come in. Contrast that with a year or so ago when the Daytona came out, they gave me a very honest appraisal of where I would sit on a list, told me roughly how often they were getting them in stock, and a realistic estimate of how long it would take for me to get one based on previous experience with people on the list declining to pick up the watch.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:14 PM   #50
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will most likely buy them and trade the Daytona for a white dial or sell it for the price of a white dial!

There’s a part in me that wants to keep it though. I will buy it and see!
Yes, THIS. Good Luck.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:15 PM   #51
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
It sounds like a shady process, and I wonder how they would take it if you purchased both then turned immediately around and returned the Sky-Dweller.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:19 PM   #52
Trek737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My first question was: “hey have you guys received any ss Daytona’s or skyD this year” ?
Manager: I’m getting sick of all the DJs I’m receiving, haven’t received a single professional watch since I sold you that BLNR
DocA,

You always seem to have some great stories about the Rolex buying purchases, especially this one.

What no one has really commented on is how this store manager at this AD just flat out lied to you on having not received any singled professional watches...
Doesn't say much for him or how he conducts business.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing what you will come home with on Monday. I love my TT SkyD...
116660 DeepBlue
Wife:
116231 DJ Black MOP set w Diamonds
178384 DJ White MOP set w Diamonds
Trek737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:21 PM   #53
Trek737
"TRF" Member

Quote:

^^^ X 2

Wouldn't that be great!
116660 DeepBlue
Wife:
116231 DJ Black MOP set w Diamonds
178384 DJ White MOP set w Diamonds
Trek737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:04 AM   #54
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpefy3 View Post
It sounds like a shady process, and I wonder how they would take it if you purchased both then turned immediately around and returned the Sky-Dweller.
Genius!
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:17 AM   #55
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post

kudos to you and your AD. This is how I’d like to be treated as a customer and if I owned an AD, it’s how I would treat my good customers
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:32 AM   #56
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek737 View Post
DocA,

You always seem to have some great stories about the Rolex buying purchases, especially this one.

What no one has really commented on is how this store manager at this AD just flat out lied to you on having not received any singled professional watches...
Doesn't say much for him or how he conducts business.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing what you will come home with on Monday. I love my TT SkyD...
Totally agree. And it’s what shocked me the most that they can do rudely put those contingencies after flat out lying to my face that they don’t have one

I guess the saying “used care salesman” will change to “new Rolex saleman”!!!!

No offense to any sale’s person!!..................(except for my Rolex AD!!)
Old 25 February 2018, 12:33 AM   #57
Driv3r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C Date
Truly is a shame that this has become the state of the market. Couple things about this AD bother me.

- He flat out lied that he had not received any professional models since your last purchase
- All of a sudden after he thinks there is a hope to sell you a PM model a Daytona magically appears
- He is lying to other customers who are on the list saying oh we have not got any Daytonas in all year.

The reality of this, and I have witnessed similar antics myself, is that these dealers ARE getting Daytonas. They are being held to sell as a bundle package with PM models or high profit margin jewelry. I think the only way to stop this is for people to stop buying these bundle packages unless they truly want them. You should not have to cough up 30k cash to then turn around and sell the SkyD and the Daytona hoping to only then acquire a white dial from a Grey Market Dealer. I understand that is a possibility, but Rolex should be ashamed at the way business is being carried out. Ultimately, these watches are a luxury item and the process and experience should be treated as such!
Driv3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:35 AM   #58
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree that this is where Rolex will probably go ultimately. It cuts down on AD-customer shenanigans and allows possibly a better handle over sales to greys.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:45 AM   #59
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes
Might be list for TT but seriously doubt they would charge full msrp for pm wg skydweller

Last edited by Rrpdc; 25 February 2018 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:54 AM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
More likely the waste of employing staff and paying costs on prime real estate for effectively now a DJ warehouse. AP are already going this way and Rolex may have to as well if they refuse to reroute production to the demanded models.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote