The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2018, 11:01 AM   #121
khunpepe
"TRF" Member

Last week I just picked up my Deep Sea D Blue from AD which I put some deposit for.

I would like to share my story in this regards.
About three weeks ago I stopped to have a look at an AD in BKK, they claimed they are no.1 so I asked for Deepsea D Blue sales rep said no we haven’t got one
She sadi “Would you like to put your name on a waiting list”
I said yes and was told that the wait could be a couple of months to six months as I was 4-5 on the list.
She informed me on the price, and yes it has premium on it.
We chatted for a while and I asked her about this practice of bundling and price at a premium. The answers she gave me were quite interesting.
She said we only offered the hot items to selected customers, only to those who we feel are ok with the price. To the local yes, and to some tourists from mainland China.
To western tourists we just say we are out of stock.
We chatted for a while longer as I wanted her to know that I was serious about buying before I walked out.
The next day I received a call from her and she said the watch just arrived today.
I asked what happened to 4-5 guys before me. They are not ready she said.
I told her that I won’t be in BKK for another month so will you be willing to wait.
She said put down 10% deposit and she can hold the watch until the end of February.
So everything worked out and I have a D Blue on my wrist.

My lessons from this purchase are as follow
1. Go in express your intention to buy
Most people go in do you have this xxx xxx xxx models? How much is it? Then walk out
2. Sit down and spend sometime knowing your sales rep
They are the one who decide who gets the watch. They are trained to judge you.
If they think you are serious then you will pass the test
3. Ask to be put on the list
4. Ask for the contact details of your sales rep
Build personal relationships with your sales rep, drop in to say hi, text to ask for other models every once in a while
5. Always be ready to pull the trigger
Act fast, the watch will not be put on reserve for long, once you get a call get to the AD as fast as you can

To sum up, I personally don’t like this kind of practice, but I don’t travel overseas a lot. And sometimes finding the watch at grey dealers are not that easy. For Deep sea D Blue, grey dealers will offer one at RRP so price at AD therefore will carry premiums. All ADs in the country do the same so you either take it or leave it.
khunpepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:36 AM   #122
ksharp1989
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Only with another TT sky-dweller, seriously? Maybe there shouldn't be any complaints considering the market these days. Really hope the Montreal AD could offer me that.
ksharp1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:09 PM   #123
topfuel25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khunpepe View Post
Last week I just picked up my Deep Sea D Blue from AD which I put some deposit for.

About three weeks ago I stopped to have a look at an AD in BKK, they claimed they are no.1 so I asked for Deepsea D Blue sales rep said no we haven’t got one
I said yes and was told that the wait could be a couple of months to six months as I was 4-5 on the list.
We chatted for a while and I asked her about this practice of bundling and price at a premium. The answers she gave me were quite interesting.
She said we only offered the hot items to selected customers, only to those who we feel are ok with the price. To the local yes, and to some tourists from mainland China.
We chatted for a while longer as I wanted her to know that I was serious about buying before I walked out.
The next day I received a call from her and she said the watch just arrived today.
I told her that I won’t be in BKK for another month so will you be willing to wait.
She said put down 10% deposit and she can hold the watch until the end of February.

Most people go in do you have this xxx xxx xxx models? How much is it? Then walk out
Build personal relationships with your sales rep, drop in to say hi, text to ask for other models every once in a while
Act fast, the watch will not be put on reserve for long, once you get a call get to the AD as fast as you can

To sum up, I personally don’t like this kind of practice, but I don’t travel overseas a lot. And sometimes finding the watch at grey dealers are not that easy. For Deep sea D Blue, grey dealers will offer one at RRP so price at AD therefore will carry premiums. All ADs in the country do the same so you either take it or leave it.
AD selling at premium? Is it allowed and how does the invoice work out?
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:39 PM   #124
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel25 View Post
AD selling at premium? Is it allowed and how does the invoice work out?
To my knowledge (but I’m still learning) ADs are NOT allowed to sell at premium!
This has nothing to do with where the dealer is, in the US, Europe or Asia!

They can lose their Rolex account if they get reported
Hopefully you took a receipt with the full price paid and the model purchased. That should be an open and shut case
Old 25 February 2018, 01:42 PM   #125
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree with the strategy but it doesn’t work Most of the time here!
Some of us purchased many watches from ADs and others spent 100s of $$$ and are placed on a “list”
Others are harassed to buy more to get what they want and there is the type that’s honest and will honor anyone that walks in

Gosh!!! We are talking about doors closed in the faces of people wanting to spend $20k+ on luxury items!! What’s going on???
Old 25 February 2018, 01:44 PM   #126
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
To my knowledge (but I’m still learning) ADs are NOT allowed to sell at premium!
This has nothing to do with where the dealer is, in the US, Europe or Asia!

They can lose their Rolex account if they get reported
Hopefully you took a receipt with the full price paid and the model purchased. That should be an open and shut case
It seems like a common practice in Asian countries from what I read on TRF.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:50 PM   #127
aquatimerfla
Banned

This is getting old. The reality is different ADs in different countries and regions are approaching things in different ways.

I can't wait for Baselworld 18 so the lies can be exposed and the truth comes out. Way too much rampant speculation going on these days.

Its obvious Rolex is changing and I blame it solely on the Daytona debacle. The watch simply isn't that damn special for it to warrant the way Rolex is handling it. Rolex dropped the ball and that was the beginning of what we are seeing now. Same go's for the SD43 although they are relatively easy to obtain compared to the Daytona.

As for those who want the 'value'? Value used to mean you would not take much of a loss on Rolex and with a few price increases over time you would eventually sell for what you paid. Now its just a ridiculous dog and pony show that is simply turning many off the brand.

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:52 PM   #128
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
This is getting old. The reality is different ADs in different countries and regions are approaching things in different ways.

I can't wait for Baselworld 18 so the lies can be exposed and the truth comes out. Way too much rampant speculation going on these days.

Its obvious Rolex is changing and I blame it solely on the Daytona debacle. The watch simply isn't that damn special for it to warrant the way Rolex is handling it. Rolex dropped the ball and that was the beginning of what we are seeing now. Same go's for the SD43 although they are relatively easy to obtain compared to the Daytona.

As for those who want the 'value'? Value used to mean you would not take much of a loss on Rolex and with a few price increases over time you would eventually sell for what you paid. Now its just a ridiculous dog and pony show that is simply turning many off the brand.

^ this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:56 PM   #129
RolexPD
"TRF" Member

You can’t really complain about an AD mistreating you after you turned around and did exactly what he wanted you to do. You know why ADs engage in this type of behavior? Because it works.
RolexPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:16 PM   #130
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I would be attempted to make the purchase. Actually I probably would buy both a call it a good day.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:57 PM   #131
topfuel25
Banned

The problem with why ADs are holding onto stock or packaging a deal is because there were peeps who bought the ss models at a premium and imagine when Rolex announced that ADs were no longer allowed to sell at a premium how would those customers feel? So thus ADs came out with all these "games"

But infact it seems ADs are now still selling at premium behind closed doors?
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:02 PM   #132
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel25 View Post
The problem with why ADs are holding onto stock or packaging a deal is because there were peeps who bought the ss models at a premium and imagine when Rolex announced that ADs were no longer allowed to sell at a premium how would those customers feel? So thus ADs came out with all these "games"

But infact it seems ADs are now still selling at premium behind closed doors?
We’ll own AD where I live in Asia said they would put me the waitlist for an SD43. But I had to verbally acknowledge - 3 times nonetheless - that I understood the price was $15k USD...
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:00 AM   #133
eus6267
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
This. I would walk. I don’t do business with businesses that lie to me.

Personally, I hope that ADs who take deposits from customers do not engage in the behavior of giving a Daytona to someone who is willing to purchase a high dollar slow mover.

For example, I have paid a deposit on a Daytona with an AD in North Carolina. If that AD was to sell a Daytona to a "premium" customer after taking my hard earned deposit money, then I would really be irate!
eus6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:13 AM   #134
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Lol the dirtiest of Rolex secrets is each AD actually has the full line of models in their safe, at all times but they’re not “in stock”

ie We haven’t received a Daytona since last year because we haven’t sold the one in our safe yet!
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:26 AM   #135
melrob1
"TRF" Member

So what did he say when i offered it to you after telling you he didn’t have it? Did he at least make up a goos story about being on hold like it was for you? Something? Anything?
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:27 AM   #136
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
Quote:

I have a friend who lives in Thailand and I had to help source a BLNR and Hulk for him when he came to visit the US because ADs in Thailand are requiring purchases of Datejust or Tudor with these models. He said he's got some buying history with some of the ADs in Thailand and they are still requiring a bundle purchase.

He never mentioned any premiums though. Only time I saw this was in Greece. An AD in Santorini was asking 500 Eur more than retail on a BLNR.
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:36 AM   #137
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
should have gone to Costco ........
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:37 AM   #138
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Buy the TT Skydweller.
Your AD is the cheapest in town, you should be happy.
There are AD’s not selling to there 100k+ customers.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 02:21 AM   #139
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
So now two lies and you're still giving them your business. Even more interesting.
This...
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 02:32 AM   #140
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
My God this whole process is disgusting. To have to "bargain" with an AD for the "right" to purchase a watch at list price is just insane. Can't believe they are forcing customers to buy less popular models simply so they will be allowed to purchase a premium model is pure lunacy. Every time I read this stuff it makes me appreciate the trusted sellers on this board. At least they don't play games. Here is the watch, here is the cost, it will be in your hands in two days. So glad I have dealt with DavidSW and JustRolexes rather than this sh!tbag AD liars. A couple text messages, agree on a price, done... No games
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:13 AM   #141
Trek737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
I talked to him today and will be buying both watches
DocA, Congrats on grabbing two great watches. I really like the black SS Daytona... Yes I like the white face Daytona more, but having both would be very special!
Oh and the TT SkyD is hot!

Very happy for you...Enjoy! And looking forward to the pics...
116660 DeepBlue
Wife:
116231 DJ Black MOP set w Diamonds
178384 DJ White MOP set w Diamonds
Trek737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:49 AM   #142
peacocknation
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
My God this whole process is disgusting. To have to "bargain" with an AD for the "right" to purchase a watch at list price is just insane. Can't believe they are forcing customers to buy less popular models simply so they will be allowed to purchase a premium model is pure lunacy. Every time I read this stuff it makes me appreciate the trusted sellers on this board. At least they don't play games. Here is the watch, here is the cost, it will be in your hands in two days. So glad I have dealt with DavidSW and JustRolexes rather than this sh!tbag AD liars. A couple text messages, agree on a price, done... No games
It’s a dirty tactic, but I feel it’s supply and demand at it’s finest...

Rolex controls supply of watches to AD’s and they limit supply to keep the price/demand for the luxury good high, ok cool - got it.

The AD’s then also have to buy/stock less popular Rolex/Tudor models that just don’t move as fast. They can’t have more Daytonas or whatever popular watch because the supply is controlled, so the AD arbitrarily controls their supply of popular watches to force the sale of their less popular watches and make more money. They probably can’t get away with selling one or two Daytonas a month, but selling 2 Daytonas and 2 DJ’s may be enough.

When demand far outstrips supply, the sellers win big - we get that, but it’s how they win big...it feels dirty because we’re not used to that being how things “work” when we shop for stuff normally. Welcome to the luxury good world no?
peacocknation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 05:15 AM   #143
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacocknation View Post
It’s a dirty tactic, but I feel it’s supply and demand at it’s finest...

Rolex controls supply of watches to AD’s and they limit supply to keep the price/demand for the luxury good high, ok cool - got it.

The AD’s then also have to buy/stock less popular Rolex/Tudor models that just don’t move as fast. They can’t have more Daytonas or whatever popular watch because the supply is controlled, so the AD arbitrarily controls their supply of popular watches to force the sale of their less popular watches and make more money. They probably can’t get away with selling one or two Daytonas a month, but selling 2 Daytonas and 2 DJ’s may be enough.

When demand far outstrips supply, the sellers win big - we get that, but it’s how they win big...it feels dirty because we’re not used to that being how things “work” when we shop for stuff normally. Welcome to the luxury good world no?
All good points. Guess I need to wrap my head around the whole shortage thing. I bought my first Rolex about 5 or 6 years ago and I've never seen anything like this. I guess as long as they have buyers willing to purchase less popular models for the right to buy an in-demand model they are free to do this. In the end, any of us can simply say no and walk out. Again, this is why I don't bash the trusted sellers. If not for them I wouldn't have my SD43 now and I didn't have to buy a 36mm Datejust to get it
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 05:28 AM   #144
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
All good points. Guess I need to wrap my head around the whole shortage thing. I bought my first Rolex about 5 or 6 years ago and I've never seen anything like this. I guess as long as they have buyers willing to purchase less popular models for the right to buy an in-demand model they are free to do this. In the end, any of us can simply say no and walk out. Again, this is why I don't bash the trusted sellers. If not for them I wouldn't have my SD43 now and I didn't have to buy a 36mm Datejust to get it

Except that it is a completely artificially created shortage not due to any lack of capacity production .

Old 26 February 2018, 05:58 AM   #145
peacocknation
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Except that it is a completely artificially created shortage not due to any lack of capacity production .

But that's luxury goods 101 no?

Surely Chanel could create more bags but doing so would make them less desirable to own resulting in lower prices and tarnishing the brand.

Same thing here.

Old 26 February 2018, 06:18 AM   #146
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You have to wait to buy at a premium price? Why not just buy directly from a grey?
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 07:03 AM   #147
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

The real story behind ADs lists!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacocknation View Post
But that's luxury goods 101 no?

Surely Chanel could create more bags but doing so would make them less desirable to own resulting in lower prices and tarnishing the brand.

Same thing here.

Yup but you don’t need to buy a scarf and a pony to get the one you really want. Either way I am not paying over msrp for anything and certainly not a watch . To each his own

Old 26 February 2018, 07:37 AM   #148
peacocknation
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Yup but you don’t need to buy a scarf and a pony to get the one you really want. Either way I am not paying over msrp for anything and certainly not a watch . To each his own

I wouldn't either...I don't like how luxury good markets work at all...reminds me of a popularity contest. Just stating how this all comes to be.

Old 26 February 2018, 07:42 AM   #149
Frank51
"TRF" Member

Market is just too hot right now, odds are the market will cool down within the next 1-2 years.
Frank51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 08:18 AM   #150
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I had a similar experience. Went to an AD, my first visit there. This was post Basel 16 by a few months. I was interested in the SD4K. None to be found. Sales guy started going on and on about how hard the Daytona is to get. I didn't mention the Daytona, knew it was hard to get, I made it clear I was interested in a SD4K. I look at a piece for my wife, I think it was around $15K. Sales guy "If you buy that you'll become a VIP customer I can get you a Daytona almost immediately." So $15K + Cost of Daytona = I own a Daytona. Um... no. That was my last visit to that AD.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote