The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 12 June 2010, 04:21 AM   #1
Melanotaenia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers and Subs
Clasp Concerns

Hello fellow TRF members

Just received my Rolex Explorer II back from service, after four months, got a full service and light polish. I am now living in NYC and have a question for everyone out there. My Explorer II came with the 78360 band with 501B endlinks, and a clasp that looks like this one:

Here is my watch (sorry for the bad photo)

Question: I would like to change the clasp to the flip lock oyster clasp because I don't trust the clasp I have on there now, especially living in Manhattan and dealing with high levels of theft.

Can I easily change over the clasp on my watch without changing out the whole bracelet? If so, is there some way that I could do this through Rolex, or an independent watchmaker, or should I just search the classifieds for someone who is selling a flip clasp?

I apologize if some of the terms I used are not right, I am still learning the lingo of the different numberings and Rolex terminology.

Thanks all, happy Friday!
Melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You can change out the clasp by unscrewing the links that attach it to the bracelet halves. The problem will be finding a clasp by itself that is in good condition..

You could also find yourself a 78790 bracelet that is corrrect for the Exp II and has the fliplock clasp. It too uses the 501b end-links..

Rolex or Rolex Dealers will not generally help you with these things. Since you are in New York, you could take off the bracelet, put on an old ratty strap, and take it in asking for a replacement 78790 bracelet. They may sell one to you and install it for around 800 bucks..
Old 12 June 2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
I have a 1601 with the same clasp and I have had no trouble with it failing me and I am a safe technician that uses my hands all day drilling safes and if the clasp was not a good one it would have failed the first week I had it.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I have 2 1655 explorer 2's w/ that clasp, have had them since new, never a problem...it's my favorite style clasp, I like it better than the newer ones that mimic the oyster bracelet links.
Dr. Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2010, 08:05 PM   #5
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanotaenia View Post
Hello fellow TRF members

Just received my Rolex Explorer II back from service, after four months, got a full service and light polish. I am now living in NYC and have a question for everyone out there. My Explorer II came with the 78360 band with 501B endlinks, and a clasp that looks like this one:

Here is my watch (sorry for the bad photo)

Question: I would like to change the clasp to the flip lock oyster clasp because I don't trust the clasp I have on there now, especially living in Manhattan and dealing with high levels of theft.

Can I easily change over the clasp on my watch without changing out the whole bracelet? If so, is there some way that I could do this through Rolex, or an independent watchmaker, or should I just search the classifieds for someone who is selling a flip clasp?

I apologize if some of the terms I used are not right, I am still learning the lingo of the different numberings and Rolex terminology.

Thanks all, happy Friday!
A new oysterlock clasp (the short version without divers extension) will fit nicely and can be bought from an AD as a replacement part. If I remember correctly the cost is some 200 USD. It may vary throughout the world.

The bigger fliplock clasp (from the 93150 bracelet) needs the divers extension part as well, or you can use it without the extension, but it is bigger. Your watch came originally with the 78360 bracelet - or with the 93150 as an option, so getting a 93150 bracelet would keep your watch to original specifications.

Like you I feel more comfortable with a fliplock, or oysterlock, clasp and I prefer the smaller oysterlock since I never use the diver's extension...

Nice Explorer by the way!

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Melanotaenia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers and Subs
Thanks for the info guys

I guess now it is time to hunt down a clasp to replace it with!!

It is not that I have a problem with the clasp on the watch now, but the flip lock just gives me that extra piece of mind when riding the subway back and forth to work.
Melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote