The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2019, 07:26 AM   #91
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
I lived and worked there for 4 years myself. I know the city. I took the tram, metro and train for an hour in each direction every weekday, from Diagonal Mar to Almeda in Cornellá. I've seen people get mugged with my own eyes and heard about people getting mugged in all different areas, not just the famous Ramblas. That's the statement I was trying to make. And provide some advice myself on how not to have typical tourist behaviour. I don't think Barcelona is rampantly unsafe. Not at all. I was comfortable to walk around at night at 2am, but I don't have a tourist's demeanor, and I wasn't wearing a beloved Rolex worth many thousands. Also, I'm Spaniard. What's your perception then on Barcelona, I'm curious. Your location says Miami.
Thanks for your feedback. I have spent so much time in Barcelona that I have literally lost count. Maybe I am looking through rose colored glasses however, as the things you cite I have never experienced and I have been there “a lot”. However, I’m 6ft, stocky, etc. Maybe it just never happens to or near me...don’t know. I won’t question you nor place your view in doubt. I’ve been several times with my teen daughters over the past 2 years and, we walked everywhere, staying at plaza Cataluña across from corte ingles. Maybe I’ve been just lucky in 20+ years visiting.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 07:26 AM   #92
jack0
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeko View Post
I've read a few threads with people having no issues wearing their Rolex while traveling, but from what I can tell it's only with ss models. Is there anyone that travels outside of North America with tt watches, such as Europe? Or is this a no no?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'm a professional thief based in London. You'll be fine, we only target PM pieces, but we do make the odd exception for SS Daytonas.

In all seriousness, muggings happen in relatively small numbers on all major tourist cities round the world. I personally have worn nice watches in many cities around the world, but I am covered by insurance.

I would suggest that if your mindset was to make this thread, you might enjoy your travelling more by leaving the watch at home.
jack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 07:35 AM   #93
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0 View Post
I'm a professional thief based in London. You'll be fine, we only target PM pieces, but we do make the odd exception for SS Daytonas.

In all seriousness, muggings happen in relatively small numbers on all major tourist cities round the world. I personally have worn nice watches in many cities around the world, but I am covered by insurance.

I would suggest that if your mindset was to make this thread, you might enjoy your travelling more by leaving the watch at home.

Thanks for the chuckle!

+1 Rock Solid Advice! If you are going to be worrying about it, don’t take it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:09 AM   #94
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I have spent so much time in Barcelona that I have literally lost count. Maybe I am looking through rose colored glasses however, as the things you cite I have never experienced and I have been there “a lot”. However, I’m 6ft, stocky, etc. Maybe it just never happens to or near me...don’t know. I won’t question you nor place your view in doubt. I’ve been several times with my teen daughters over the past 2 years and, we walked everywhere, staying at plaza Cataluña across from corte ingles. Maybe I’ve been just lucky in 20+ years visiting.
I get the sensation of a little bit of rose colored glasses, yes. That as long as you're not in Ramblas, you're okay. Really not the case. Glad you've had a good historical run, though. I never had any issues in 4 years myself with theft or robberies to my detriment, but I was within a few feet of pickpocketing in action on several occasions. One time I even forewarned the guy (with his wife, obvious English tourists) who was about to get pickpocketed.

I was walking 5 meters behind this tourist in the metro tunnel, the thieves were coming from the opposite direction walking towards them and I. They saw him and his wife, walked and talked past them, nearly past me, turned as they got to me and walked back up behind him and his wife. Couple was clueless, I had no doubt about what they were up to. They sat near him on the long concrete bench waiting for the metro they had just gotten out of, eyeing him when possible. I take a seat near him also, on his other side. I'm just eyeballing them the whole time as I sat near him on the other side, so as they looked to him they could see me just beyond him staring right at them, basically saying "I see what you're up to and I will gladly describe all of you." They got on the train with him anyways. Freaking raccoons weren't backing down. Ballsy bastards. I gave him the heads up in English and got off at the next stop. Don't know the ending to that one.

Another time they targeted the people getting on the bus due to a metro construction situation between two stops where a bus was shuttling people in lieu of the metro. Eight feet in front of me as I'm sitting on the bus a guy got on the bus, acted nonchalant as he stood near a young woman who was standing in the middle, and then tried to snatch some valuables from inside her purse (I think he was using a jacket for cover) and bolt, but he wasn't successful. One guy nearly clobbered the thief as he had trouble getting out of the bus once he tried to do his thing and people tried to get a hold of said thief before he could escape. He managed to get out and run off despite others trying to momentarily hold him inside.

The Paris thieves have better form, I'd say. My lady friend and I at the time weren't 5 minutes removed from the Paris Orly airport when someone opened the outer compartment of her luggage as we were lugging it up the stairs to catch the train into the city. They took a few items but nothing of any value was in that compartment. They didn't have time to try more, really. I didn't even see anyone come near us, and I'm aware of my surroundings (I'm former military and had a CCW while living in the States). I'm not the typical clueless sheep. So that was quite skillful on their part, however they managed it. Smart location, too, as non-French speaking tourists are at that point just figuring out where to go. They get you before you have any chance to spend it.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:29 AM   #95
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I get the sensation of a little bit of rose colored glasses, yes. That as long as you're not in Ramblas, you're okay. Really not the case. Glad you've had a good historical run, though. I never had any issues in 4 years myself with theft or robberies to my detriment, but I was within a few feet of pickpocketing in action on several occasions. One time I even forewarned the guy (with his wife, obvious English tourists) who was about to get pickpocketed.

I was walking 5 meters behind this tourist in the metro tunnel, the thieves were coming from the opposite direction walking towards them and I. They saw him and his wife, walked and talked past them, nearly past me, turned as they got to me and walked back up behind him and his wife. Couple was clueless, I had no doubt about what they were up to. They sat near him on the long concrete bench waiting for the metro they had just gotten out of, eyeing him when possible. I take a seat near him also, on his other side. I'm just eyeballing them the whole time as I sat near him on the other side, so as they looked to him they could see me just beyond him staring right at them, basically saying "I see what you're up to and I will gladly describe all of you." They got on the train with him anyways. Freaking raccoons weren't backing down. Ballsy bastards. I gave him the heads up in English and got off at the next stop. Don't know the ending to that one.

Another time they targeted the people getting on the bus due to a metro construction situation between two stops where a bus was shuttling people in lieu of the metro. Eight feet in front of me as I'm sitting on the bus a guy got on the bus, acted nonchalant as he stood near a young woman who was standing in the middle, and then tried to snatch some valuables from inside her purse (I think he was using a jacket for cover) and bolt, but he wasn't successful. One guy nearly clobbered the thief as he had trouble getting out of the bus once he tried to do his thing and people tried to get a hold of said thief before he could escape. He managed to get out and run off despite others trying to momentarily hold him inside.

The Paris thieves have better form, I'd say. My lady friend and I at the time weren't 5 minutes removed from the Paris Orly airport when someone opened the outer compartment of her luggage as we were lugging it up the stairs to catch the train into the city. They took a few items but nothing of any value was in that compartment. They didn't have time to try more, really. I didn't even see anyone come near us, and I'm aware of my surroundings (I'm former military and had a CCW while living in the States). I'm not the typical clueless sheep. So that was quite skillful on their part, however they managed it. Smart location, too, as non-French speaking tourists are at that point just figuring out where to go. They get you before you have any chance to spend it.
Very interesting indeed, thanks for the candid explanations and, time spent. It would appear I’ve been quite lucky, will keep my fingers tightly crossed - I’m over in Spain this summer, drop me a pm if you’ll be around.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
Old 25 March 2019, 08:31 AM   #96
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
I'm definitely not, I'm a newbie to traveling. I've been to places in North America and central America, but that was before buying my first luxury watch. Thanks for your post ;)

I personally wouldn't wear a £10 Casio in these sorts of places.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:36 AM   #97
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

Watch Active Self Protection on YouTube for safety tips. It warms my heart when I see videos where the tables are turned on the muggers.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:43 AM   #98
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
Watch Active Self Protection on YouTube for safety tips. It warms my heart when I see videos where the tables are turned on the muggers.
Me too, ASP has some very cool outcomes for the bad guys
Old 25 March 2019, 08:59 AM   #99
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Another one of these useless threads... again, op should be getting their priorities right, if your worried about going to a place then you should be asking “am I safe or my family safe” rather than a bloody watch..

Also Portugal and Spain are top tiered 1st world countries, if you don’tt feel safe there then why bother coming out of your cave.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:13 AM   #100
pkincy
"TRF" Member

I would be less worried walking about in another city or country than I am taking off my watch at airline security and leaving it in a container unguarded while I stand in line to get scoped. So it goes in my luggage which of course is not totally safe either.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:21 AM   #101
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Did you generally feel safe with it on wearing a t shirt, so it wasn't covered up.

Yes and no. Throughout Asia, India, Australia, New Zealand I never had the slightest reservation wearing a short sleeved polo. No concerns in Europe. Colombia, no problem. Brazil and Argentina, no way.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:28 AM   #102
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
reeko,

This is obviously a big deal for you, and whatever reassurances you may get on this forum, I imagine your enjoyment while travelling may well be impeded by safety concerns.
Take the worry out of the equation by leaving your Rolex at home so that you can spend all of your time abroad focussing on the pleasures with your wife and kids.
Putting your lovely watch on again will be all the more enjoyable too.
There is a lot of wisdom in this reply.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 05:53 PM   #103
CCY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
I live in Amsterdam, it is a safe and clean city, every year visited by millions for business and leisure.
I wear a Rolex every day, but when I go to bars at night I slap on an inexpensive watch. I have no experience with watch thiefs, but there are robbers around and people (especially at night in the weekends) in the center get violently stripped of their expensive watch. Just use common sense.
As we say in Dutch: Een gewaarschuwd mens telt voor twee.
Forewarned is forearmed.

They striked again last night...victim number 63:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
CCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 06:27 PM   #104
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

You will be fine, but don't bring it if its likely to cause you stress.

If you want to avoid looking like a tourist just don't wear those big white New Balance sneakers. You will be spotted as a North American in seconds ;)
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:33 PM   #105
kulak
"TRF" Member

Walked all over Barcelona and Paris never had a problem and never observed anyone else with a problem. I tried to keep a watchful eye so either it is overblown or they are too good to notice.

I even tried the fake wallet back pocket in Barcelona for the full tourist experience and had no issue.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:10 PM   #106
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
There is a lot of wisdom in this reply.
I appreciate everyone's replies, especially those who have lived there and who travel there often. Halitosis and old geezer, after much thinking both of your suggestions might make my trip less stressful. Thanks again to everyone and safe travels to everyone!

reeko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:12 PM   #107
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Myth: Europe cops are soft.

Truth: Europe cops leave you alone until you act a fool, and then you find out about European use of force. They don't bring one or two, you get 5 or 6 surrounding you. Why? They don't plan on using the gun.

Example: Spanish cops --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHVBBX9zrKg

Speakwithmichael, your observations and opinions have been very insightful. Thank you for sharing them. I'm glad that you've helped others out too.

reeko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:24 PM   #108
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
If you've spent lots of time in Barcelona, i.e. lived there, you'd know it's not contained to this area at all. It can happen anywhere, from airport to beach to rooftop hotel bar.

My best advice for traveling in Spain from the U.S.? Hire a Spanish speaking person as a tour guide, have them move you around the city, and have them talk in Spanish or Catalan (if in Catalunya) to you in open public spaces. If you're bringing kids, this is a little more difficult. Nevertheless, nod and smile as you understand none of it. It'll throw the thieves off you and onto someone else, and if you're with someone who is Spanish, the thieves know you'll be able to get proper help to yourself faster than the tourist who is entirely alone and unprepared for being robbed and will sit in shock for 10 minutes searching Google for the local police number. And walk about 30% quicker than you're used to. Nothing is a quicker tell than watching you waddling along slowly within a fast moving city with your jesus sandals or New Balance walking shoes with calf-high socks, oversized Nike t-shirt or (cringe) NFL jersey talking perfect English/German as you're looking at a city map like a lost goat in a garage. Not being overweight helps, too. Sorry, but it's true, as offensive as that sounds. Try to avoid ticking as many of these boxes and you'll only be spotted by the sharpest/hungriest of thieves. The average citizen knows who the tourists are. The pro thieves are better than you're prepared for.

Personally, I'd buy a Casio (most common watch here), put the nice stuff in the bank safety deposit box, and not worry about the $8k, $20k, $50k piece of metal on my wrist during my holiday. I should become a personal travel security advisor.
I'm dead from this description. It's so true. You forgot that whilst holding the map and looking lost they have 2 kids between the age of 5 and 12 with them. Oh yes and the cap to block the sunlight. Your back becomes a screaming bulls-eye.

Quote:

This just reaffirms what I've said all along. Barcelona is a city that's rife with pick pockets and thieves. Everyone in here says "it happens in every city"...Just doesnt happen to the extend of Barcelona. In Spain they let the thieves go after 48 hours and they can commit the same crime again. The repercussions of doing pickpocketing is nowhere near what it'd be in other countries, e.g. (extreme comparison) Singapore.

To the OP: Pull down your sleeves when walking in public. Take your quick tourist-watch-snap and keep moving. Know where you're going. If you don't, then step to the side, preferably into a cafe, starbucks, macD etc. and get your bearings right. Don't look lost as anyone watching you will know you're clueless and could lead to you being a potential target.

PS. Michael - Need good restaurant recommendations; not the typical tourist rip off and also preferably not one where all the tourists flock to and there's a queue outside because the restaurant is recommended as the best Tapas in Lonely Planet. Back again in July with a 5164 on my wrist (that I'll leave at the hotel once I'm there).
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:02 PM   #109
EDL7
"TRF" Member

There are 2 kinds of people in the world..
Those that have been mugged...
And those that haven't..
Those that haven't think the world is just a dandy lil place..their oyster..
Those that have..know better..
I grew up in NYC..we had to have eyes in the back of our heads..all the time..not only situational awareness..but psychic awareness..you literally have to read peoples attitudes and minds at the drop of a hat...kids..adults..doesn't matter..from a half a block away..
Today..people on their cells..oblivious..walking targets..
Thieves paradise..
2 tone while on vacation..get it insured..and when your time comes..don't fight..just give it to them fast..and get a replacement later..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:15 PM   #110
Earnyourturns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
I suspect crime rates in European cities are no worse than in US cities - indeed probably safer - but if in doubt leave it at home and wear a Casio
Earnyourturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:27 PM   #111
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Back again in July with a 5164 on my wrist (that I'll leave at the hotel once I'm there).
Hotels aren't a safe place for it. Hotel safes do not equal safe.
Old 26 March 2019, 05:31 PM   #112
dsquared2
"TRF" Member

I live in Madrid for years and I had never a problem with pickpockets. It is true that lately some watches had been stolen by thieves in Spain, mostly in Ibiza and Barcelona. Actually you can check out the Barcelona’s video on Youtube.

In winter and currently in spring is more difficult that people find the watch that you wear but in a few months, in summer our watches are visible for everybody.

As usual, it depends on the neighborhood where you stay but is not so bad that you are always aware with your around.

Anyway, if you travel to Spain, wear the watch you love and do not be afraid of nothing. Just enjoy our country!
dsquared2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:45 PM   #113
Wedders
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_1908 View Post
all depends, tourists get robbed daily in barcelona, london, paris etc.

I would suggest to just be aware of your surroundings.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
+1
Wedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 01:49 AM   #114
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
When visiting any city walk like you own the street,,,
If your a person who looks like they will “ rock and roll” in a second if provoked then these scumbags will avoid you,,,,
Seriously,,,,they pick there targets and will avoid broad shouldered ex marine/ forces types and anybody they perceive will give them a problem when robbing you,,
Op,,,,,same rules as at home apply abroad,,,
Go to Amsterdam and Barcelona at least three times a year, for many years,,,
Amsterdam is a wonderful city and always reminds me of a place from a Grimm Bros fairytale and Barcelona is beautiful but large but have never felt unsafe in either city and I avoid Las Ramblas cos it’s seedy and has a lot of not very nice people but robbery can occur anywhere,,,,
Would you wear your Rolex visiting South or East Central ,,LA or the projects in Chicago or New York ? My guess is no but you would in Beverly Hills or Manhattan etc,etc,,
Same logic applys to London,,,
Use your common sense ,,,,enjoy your vacation and just avoid over friendly non Londoners and unlicensed Taxi drivers,,,,,,
Don’t forget to visit the Tower of London,,,,kids will love it,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 01:56 AM   #115
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post

That Europe must look like a scary place, but it is actually quite nice...
I think Europe in general is one of the safest places on earth... No to offend but I wouldn't be so sure about that when travelling to the USA..
Rokoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 02:00 AM   #116
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0 View Post

This made me spit my tea out laughing.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 02:37 AM   #117
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
All these posts about exercising common sense. A theft can happen anyway anytime. Watches are a big deal in Europe and are prime targets for thieves. If the loss of the watch would upset you at all or be an issue to pay for a new one leave it home and not worry about it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 05:34 AM   #118
stlsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
i wear a two tone datejust into detroit on a weekly basis. Enough said. Don't be stupid and you'll be fine.
Same here, I’ve worn my two tone gmt a lot in downtown Detroit. If you can be safe and sensible there, Europe shouldn’t be a problem
stlsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 06:00 AM   #119
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Do you feel like certain places are more unsafe than others? What's made you switch to your Seiko now when you travel? I agree with you that personal safety is much more important.

Peace of mind. I am on a layover to enjoy the sights, not worry about my safety or whether my watch will be stolen if I do this vs that. Just my experience traveling on a weekly basis from US to Europe and other parts of the world as well, for the last 20 years.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 08:10 PM   #120
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoru View Post
I think Europe in general is one of the safest places on earth... No to offend but I wouldn't be so sure about that when travelling to the USA..
That's right. In Europe you simply lose your wallet. In the States you get the added bonus of medical bills debt.