The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 21 March 2019, 04:51 AM   #1
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

7S26- died on the wrist; 4R36, 6R15

I am very inactive. Some lower end Seikos, with 7S26 movements have actually died on my wrist. I guess the movement just can't wind itself enough from my activity.

I haven't experienced this with any of the Turtles or second generation Monsters I have owned, but yesterday, my newest Turtle- with a 4R36 movement- died when off the wrist after just a few hours. I had been wearing it for maybe a week or so, and have been very inactive, even for me, tired and sleeping alot... with the watch on. I wear it just about all the time. Again, I am quite sure I have found a substantial power reserve with other watches using this movement.

I was kind of nervous, this hasn't happened before. I thought the watch may be defective. I wound it up good and it has been running fine, off the wrist sitting on my desk now for over 13 hours. So i guess it is fine, but still think it should have wound itself and built up somewhat of a stronger reserve.

Does it seem reasonable that inactivity, even while on the wrist may fail to wind the watch enough to keep it going for a good while?

I did not experience this with any of the Rolexs I have owned, but I guess that is an unfair comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2068.jpg (157.2 KB, 204 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 05:09 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
. . .
Does it seem reasonable that inactivity, even while on the wrist may fail to wind the watch enough to keep it going for a good while?

I did not experience this with any of the Rolexs I have owned, but I guess that is an unfair comparison.
This has always been the case with automatic watches. It is much more prevalent in todays environment where so many are desk-bound all day.

I notice it much more in retirement, especially if I'm reading a good book, than when I was younger, but it happens.

If you are inactive, wind your watch once a week or so and it should be just fine.
Old 21 March 2019, 05:45 AM   #3
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Thanks Larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This has always been the case with automatic watches. It is much more prevalent in todays environment where so many are desk-bound all day.

I notice it much more in retirement, especially if I'm reading a good book, than when I was younger, but it happens.

If you are inactive, wind your watch once a week or so and it should be just fine.
I guess that's just the way it is...
Old 21 March 2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Maybe it was just a bad week for me, exceptionally slow, but I still think it should have run longer off the wrist. I'll try again and see. If it isn't charging, could perhaps a little oil get the motor spinning a little better? From my experience, this is kind of unusual. Maybe I just didn't notice in the past...
Old 21 March 2019, 01:58 PM   #5
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Get up and walk some. It will keep your watch wound.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 02:18 PM   #6
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Get up and walk some. It will keep your watch wound.
indeed! I didn't want to go into it, but I'm having some difficulty walking right now...
Old 21 March 2019, 08:38 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
It happens. Just wind your watch every few days and you will be fine.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:13 AM   #8
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
indeed! I didn't want to go into it, but I'm having some difficulty walking right now...
Sorry to hear that. Then get an xbox and play some games. It will keep it active.
Old 24 March 2019, 06:37 AM   #9
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Then get an xbox and play some games. It will keep it active.
haha thanks!
Old 24 March 2019, 06:39 AM   #10
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

thanks guys for putting up with my neurotic paranoia... watch is working fine. For the heck of it, I just shook it a little to get it ticking and it has been running for a few days now while wearing it... so all is well!
Old 24 March 2019, 01:42 PM   #11
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks guys for putting up with my neurotic paranoia... watch is working fine. For the heck of it, I just shook it a little to get it ticking and it has been running for a few days now while wearing it... so all is well!
I hope you start to feel better also
Old 26 March 2019, 06:32 AM   #12
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

thanks pal!

Quote:
I hope you start to feel better also
when I lose interest in things I like, like watches, basketball, jazz, blues.. and more... I'll know I'm in trouble lol Thanks again, it's fun out here on the forum (for the most part lol)... and that is a good thing!!!
Old 26 March 2019, 02:39 PM   #13
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
when I lose interest in things I like, like watches, basketball, jazz, blues.. and more... I'll know I'm in trouble lol Thanks again, it's fun out here on the forum (for the most part lol)... and that is a good thing!!!