The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2019, 08:58 PM   #121
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

I think a lot of these comments are pertaining to the west. In Asia gold is always a massive thing and always most desiresble. You usually only see the prized SS models on people in Asia If they are an enthusiast (if you see someone in Jakarta for example wearing a BLRO, you can bet he also has about 10 sold gold Rolexes / AP as well).

Yellow gold suits the average Asian skin tone very well, more than WG, and suits the culture naturally. So there will always be a huge huge market

However.. I will say in london (UK) gold amoung my generation and below, late 20s / early 30s, you see yellow gold popping up much more due to the flashy celebs and the fact property prices are so high, no one owns property in this age bracket or even bothers to save for a deposit as it’s so impossible to get on the ladder, so they sink their money into going out on big nights and buying luxury goods.
Go to Westfield shopping mall and you will see half a dozen guys in their 20s/30s with tats sporting the latest solid gold subs and GMTs in the food court. Gold is definitely back in, in this generation bracket. I think in the 40+ To boomer generation who have lived through a few recessions the time for YG had been and gone a long time ago apart from the few who did very well.

Me personally, I think a gold sub (black) an absolutely killer looking piece in any attire (tshirt/jeans suit/tie worn out 80s metal-T-shirt, all of it) and any age; in fact the older the cooler. I’d love to have one of the pre ceramic gold subs in black one day. But those ones seem to have become completely scares
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:01 PM   #122
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
Go to Westfield shopping mall and you will see half a dozen guys in their 20s/30s with tats sporting the latest solid gold subs and GMTs in the food court.
i thought buying a gold rolex meant you didn't have to eat at the food court any more
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:20 PM   #123
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
However.. I will say in london (UK) gold amoung my generation and below, late 20s / early 30s, you see yellow gold popping up much more due to the flashy celebs and the fact property prices are so high, no one owns property in this age bracket or even bothers to save for a deposit as it’s so impossible to get on the ladder, so they sink their money into going out on big nights and buying luxury goods.
Is that really how it is in the UK? Thats quite bad situation for young people to be blowing their money on stupid watches without even owning a home.

I bought my very first house in Sydney when I was 20 years old and I'm only 34 now. I would never ever think of dropping $10k or more on a watch if I didn't at least own my house. That to me just shows the priorities of some people today.

I even felt bad when I bought my first $30k DD40 and that time my property portfolio was in excess of 15 properties already. Never in my life would I buy a Rolex to flaunt to others when you dont actually have anything yet.

Ludacris in my opinion.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:28 PM   #124
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
I am retired from the Financial Industry and yes, in the 80's, 90's and early 00's the Gold Presidents watch was de rigeur. If not a Rolex than one of the other gold ultra thin dress watches. Gone are those days. The financial business is mostly not a dark suit, white shirt and tie business any longer.

Also it is hard to get anyone under 40 to wear gold jewelry. It is this sea change that had caused the availabilty of TT and PM non WG/Plat watches. Given my age my grail may be a YG DD 36 with Presidents band. Although I likely would never wear it out just as my wife never ever wears her mink anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Is that really how it is in the UK? Thats quite bad situation for young people to be blowing their money on stupid watches without even owning a home.

I bought my very first house in Sydney when I was 20 years old and I'm only 34 now. I would never ever think of dropping $10k or more on a watch if I didn't at least own my house. That to me just shows the priorities of some people today.

Ludacris in my opinion.
We are the same age but I consider myself very fortunate to have my own house in london. It’s very very rare. I only made it from working abroad in dodgy countries for 5 years and saving big time in my mid 20s. So I allow myself the joy of watches, however others don’t see themselves ever being able to save £100k for a 20% deposit on a crappy 2 bedroom apartment that they’ll never get a £400k mortgage for in the first place. Add to that the nihilistic culture of today’s youth.. it’s a receipt for exactly what I’ve described. The grads I work with in my office are hopeless, as in they have no hope for the future. They are concerned about paying off their £40k student loan before they are 50, rather than thinking about owning their own home. They earn good money don’t get mE wrong, good enough to rent a room in a trendy part of town, party and buy the latest gadgets.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:30 PM   #125
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I’m just personally not comfortable with the attention that wearing a gold piece brings.
Old 23 March 2019, 09:50 PM   #126
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin10101 View Post
I’m just personally not comfortable with the attention that wearing a gold piece brings.

White gold is the solution.

But I do like yg. It’s grown on me but I still say it’s flashy. Someday, maybe a yg model will be mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 06:23 AM   #127
1kw
"TRF" Member

Stainless steel is the poor man’s rolex, gold and two tone are more expensive so the average joe says he doesn’t like it.
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 07:16 AM   #128
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Once you go PM, you won’t (likely) go back.

I wear gold or platinum every day, and mostly every new watch I’m interested in acquiring is gold or platinum. Any interest in steel, ceramic, etc would be for a specific purpose - not for every day wear.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:03 AM   #129
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i thought buying a gold rolex meant you didn't have to eat at the food court any more
I'll take mine to the local BK instead
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:05 AM   #130
VinnieVegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 GMT Master II
Yellow gold is just not to my taste, that's all. Rose gold is much better but I really prefer stainless steel and white gold.

* Seiko SRP777 (2017)
VinnieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:14 AM   #131
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

I call BS...

Gold and Platinum will always be in style. Same with diamonds. All this BS about "its from the 1990's"...is just a poor justification.

The fact is most people can't afford Gold and Platinum Rolexes today.

So they buy stainless, rubber or leather and call it "in style". Or they buy used at auction or Ebay and pay $3-6K for Stainless.

Sorry, Not Sorry!
C. Cavalry
DuchessofWinward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 10:04 AM   #132
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

I don't dislike YG, but most people wear it to get noticed. I like the additional weight it provides but dislike the "showy" aspects of it. Maybe, this is why I haven't pulled the trigger.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 25 March 2019, 11:36 AM   #133
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post

I get compliments often on my Michael Kors watch (DJ41 - SS/ RG) no kidding.
I smile and say thank you!
I bet you got your beautiful Michael Kors from Kohl’s with 20% coupons?
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:42 AM   #134
CptCanuck
"TRF" Member

Lots of poor posers

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
CptCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 01:34 PM   #135
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Fact is most can’t afford a full gold Rolex. Has nothing to do with popularity. Love my Full Gold Rolexes it’s my F Off piece and frankly could care less what people think of me because I buy what I like for myself and nobody else. Nothing like a Full Gold Rolex watch nothing.
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 01:39 PM   #136
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

If I had olive skin year-round and could just spend my days on Lake Como or Cannes, I'd wear nothing but gold. But alas, I have to interact with the hoi polloi so stainless steel it is :(
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:00 AM   #137
bluecat128@mac.com
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
Post 2008 Crash, many wars, made steel in vogue?

Showing yellow gold, particularly with first-generation immigrants, was in vogue, crowns, fillings, jewelry, .... after awhile it became gaudy, I certainly remember my two cousins at one of our family’s weddings, wore the identical R-lex D-y D-te, I swear I could hear the sound of gold clanking together. I wanted to hide under my seat, when my (I thought it was cool) T-mex Ir-nman started beeping.

Times have changed, 9-11, many wars, financial crashes, social trends, etc... made wearing gold, less popular. I’m retired, I don’t care, hell... I earned these things, my Rolesor Datejust (for graduating with a double masters in Public Health and Management at Anderson UCLA), my 16030 (PharmD), my 16234, and my Reverso Tribute Duo (retirement).

Wear it, but be proud, you’re only here for awhile. There’s definitely a gender perceptual difference. Who cares? Congratulations, now if you can get away with wearing a hockey-puck Panerai, or a flying saucer Hublot, I bow (very low) 2 U!!
bluecat128@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:10 AM   #138
bluecat128@mac.com
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCY View Post
I don´t know how political correct this forum is, but please allow me to have some level of self mockery.

I´m born and raised in Amsterdam, but my roots lay in the Middle East. Looking at my own family (migrated in the 70s to US and EU), I can say times have definitely changed. There was a time (through 90´s) I saw nothing but gold or two tone watches in my family and friend group. During Christmas and NYE it looked like a Mercedes dealership at my granddad´s place.

Today? Nowhere to be seen. Even the women got rid of golden rings and went for white gold. I seriously have 6-9 weddings per year and haven´t seen golden rings on a wedding since 2007 or 2008. People want to show something nice, but they tend to stay subtile.

I have quite a few family members and friends with a Rolex, out of that selection there´s only one guy that wears a bit of gold (16613).

If I would borrow that 16613, visit my parrents and they spot that watch with those colors...they´ll hang me haha.
Please forgive this progressive Pel-si supporter for posting this observation,,, BUT... when I wear my yellow gold Rolex with my 18Knucklering.... I’ve seen our friends North of their border have their eyeballs pop-out of their eye sockets! I dare not wear this to work, it makes the men envious and angry (barage of stupid questions), oh...and the divorced, overperfumed women start circling my office like mini-sharks. This is when the reliable Explorer 1 (114270), Nomos Orion, or my Hammy winder takeover the pitching rotation!!
bluecat128@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote