The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2019, 03:19 PM   #1
reeko
"TRF" Member

Travelling with a two tone

I've read a few threads with people having no issues wearing their Rolex while traveling, but from what I can tell it's only with ss models. Is there anyone that travels outside of North America with tt watches, such as Europe? Or is this a no no?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 03:25 PM   #2
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
All depends, tourists get robbed daily in Barcelona, London, Paris etc.

I would suggest to just be aware of your surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 03:26 PM   #3
Brew
"TRF" Member

Is this a fashion police problem/question or TSA?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 03:32 PM   #4
H_UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400
Never had a problem travelling anywhere with my bluesy (Paris, Milan, Madrid, Prague Bogota, Johannesburg etc).

Just exercise some caution and common sense and you’ll be fine!
Old 23 March 2019, 03:39 PM   #5
reeko
"TRF" Member

I've heard that some places like London and Spain could be especially dangerous with pick pockets, so I'm not sure if I'm being naive that it can be safe to travel with.

I'm planning on travelling to Spain and Portugal later this year, but I don't know if I'm safe with my rolex gmt tt or if I should take my steinhart GMT with me instead.

reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 04:00 PM   #6
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Thousands and thousands walk around daily there whole lives wearing expensive watches in those so called dangerous places. I travel around Europe all the time as part of my work, including London, Barcelona, Rome, Paris, etc (typing this from a hotel room on Malta).... After years of traveling I have yet had any incident.
Old 23 March 2019, 04:08 PM   #7
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Have common sense and you should be fine. Be aware of your surroundings. Don’t walk at night in pitch black areas. Don’t walk while on your phone at night. If a stranger asks if it’s real say no I could only dream of affording a new one. If long sleeves or coat on ensure watch is tucked under cuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 04:16 PM   #8
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
I suspect crime rates in European cities are no worse than in US cities - indeed probably safer - but if in doubt leave it at home and wear a Casio
Halitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Jeronimo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeko View Post
I've heard that some places like London and Spain could be especially dangerous with pick pockets, so I'm not sure if I'm being naive that it can be safe to travel with.

I'm planning on travelling to Spain and Portugal later this year, but I don't know if I'm safe with my rolex gmt tt or if I should take my steinhart GMT with me instead.

Portugal is extremely safe, unless you are reckless or extremely unlucky, I wouldn’t believe you could face any issue. In Spain it really depends where you go, but with common sense and care you should be perfectly fine going around with your TT. I’ve been wearing mine all over the world (a lot in Portugal and Spain) for two decades with no issues whatsoever. I’ve also been wearing my rose gold Patek Aquanaut through lots of countries in Europe and Asia... Usually I take another less noticeable watch just in case I need to go somewhere that makes me feel less comfortable, but it is rare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeronimo
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 04:47 PM   #10
Smokey.Bubbles
"TRF" Member

Agree on portugal. I am a regular vister and found it extremely safe. Never had an issue or heard of anyone being targeted etc.

As always, a little bit of situational awareness never goes amiss as you will always get a bad apple. However it would never stop me wearing anything in that beautiful country.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Smokey.Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:00 PM   #11
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
These threads are the best.
Europe is quite a big place ;).
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Bigguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4000
Quote:

I’ve worked in London for over 15 years and never been pickpocketed, mugged, robbed, threatened or intimidated by anyone (I also happen to be 6’5 and 220lbs so that might be why). I’ve owned and worn several TT watches over the years and spot countless Rolex’s on the wrists of professionals on a daily basis.

You will be absolutely fine. Just don’t make yourself a target, be street wise and try to not make yourself look like a tourist (i.e looking a maps of London of where to go etc) as I’m sure those people are easy prey.
Bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
Loads of people in ‘Europe’ go about their daily lives with Rolexes on and are fine. They don’t keep them in safes till they go to ‘safe places’ like North America where they then feel comfortable wearing them. They wear their watches and enjoy them. Sorry, but I really struggled to avoid being sarcastic, as it is a bit of a ridiculous question.

I assume you will be travelling as a tourist, which will mean you are unlikely to venture off the beaten path into ‘the crime ridden’ parts of any cities or towns you visit, so you should be fine. In fact, whilst you are here with your Rolex on your wrist (rather than back at home in a safe), do a bit of Rolex spotting to see how many locals are rocking them and visit a few ADs (yes we do have them in Europe, although most don’t have any stock).

If you still have reservations, that’s what insurance is for. Wear your watch and enjoy it.
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:09 PM   #14
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Common sense approach and be situationally aware as most people have mentioned here.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:13 PM   #15
logo
"TRF" Member

I also have a TT. Apparently TT Rolex aren’t in style so I can’t imagine a thief wanting to take our watches

In seriousness, just be aware of your surroundings and avoid obvious thief traps and sketchy areas. I do think TT and PM are more flashy, so cover the watch with a jacket or leave it at home and go bare wrist if concerned. Safe travels and have fun!
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:13 PM   #16
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
I've read a few threads with people having no issues wearing their Rolex while traveling, but from what I can tell it's only with ss models. Is there anyone that travels outside of North America with tt watches, such as Europe? Or is this a no no?

I’ve been to Puerto Vallarta, Barcelona, Manila, Hong Kong, Paris, London, Dublin, Brisbane, Sydney, Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Tokyo, Seoul, and a bunch of others in the recent past. On every one of those trips, I was wearing a gold or platinum watch. ALS, AP, Rolex. On many of those trips, I took more than one watch.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:21 PM   #17
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Dulwich View Post
Loads of people in ‘Europe’ go about their daily lives with Rolexes on and are fine. They don’t keep them in safes till they go to ‘safe places’ like North America where they then feel comfortable wearing them. They wear their watches and enjoy them. Sorry, but I really struggled to avoid being sarcastic, as it is a bit of a ridiculous question.

I assume you will be travelling as a tourist, which will mean you are unlikely to venture off the beaten path into ‘the crime ridden’ parts of any cities or towns you visit, so you should be fine. In fact, whilst you are here with your Rolex on your wrist (rather than back at home in a safe), do a bit of Rolex spotting to see how many locals are rocking them and visit a few ADs (yes we do have them in Europe, although most don’t have any stock).

If you still have reservations, that’s what insurance is for. Wear your watch and enjoy it.
By the way, I own a TT GMT II, live in the UK and travel all over Europe for business and pleasure on a regular basis.
Old 23 March 2019, 05:24 PM   #18
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Employ situational awareness.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:37 PM   #19
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cringe.
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:54 PM   #20
CCY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Just keep an eye out in my hometown Amsterdam (The Netherlands). There is a group active nicknamed The Rolexgang by the media.

They´re specificly targeting people that have a Rolex. We think they use "spotters", i.e. people working in bars and restaurants and inform the robbers when the victims go outside to go home or catch a cab.

Once outside they ambush you with at least 2 people and often they´re armed with guns and knives.

So far we´ve had 62 victims in the last 7-8 months in Amsterdam, both locals and tourists.
CCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 06:02 PM   #21
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I give up.
Old 23 March 2019, 06:23 PM   #22
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCY View Post
Just keep an eye out in my hometown Amsterdam (The Netherlands). There is a group active nicknamed The Rolexgang by the media.

They´re specificly targeting people that have a Rolex. We think they use "spotters", i.e. people working in bars and restaurants and inform the robbers when the victims go outside to go home or catch a cab.

Once outside they ambush you with at least 2 people and often they´re armed with guns and knives.

So far we´ve had 62 victims in the last 7-8 months in Amsterdam, both locals and tourists.
So 1 victim every 3 days in a city of a million? I wouldn’t think twice about it.

I think that in these threads it should be mandatory for the OP to specify their home town. If it’s some backwater fishing village with a population of 28 then the question is almost understandable. If it’s a big North American city, then not so much.
Old 23 March 2019, 06:24 PM   #23
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
So 1 victim every 3 days in a city of a million? I wouldn’t think twice about it.
Sanity prevails!!!
Old 23 March 2019, 06:28 PM   #24
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

That Europe must look like a scary place, but it is actually quite nice...
Old 23 March 2019, 06:31 PM   #25
Uggi
Banned

Quote:

Don't do it. Europe is basically a zombie apocalypse - people have turned to savages. We steal each other's organs for food and melt Rolex watches for weapons. Stay in peaceful North America where milk of human kindness still flows and crime is thing of the past.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 06:44 PM   #26
CCY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is a Amsterdam local and vlogger, in his free time he goes out in the city and tries to spot pickpocketers, thieves and robbers. He has close connection with the Amsterdam police, so whenever he spots them he calls in straight to the responsible undercover team of the police dedicated to this type of crime.

Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_-ef_k5r1Y&t=270s

4m30s: Thieves try to target an Asian tourist by asking to take a selfie of them. Once he thanks the tourist he feels and checks his wrist, but sees there´s nothing to steal.
4m55s: Vlogger sees known watch thieves.
6m05s: Thieves target a tourist couple, because one of them is wearing an Audemars Piguet.
They "friendly wrestle" the victim and try to snatch his watch. Vlogger had already informed the undercoverteam of the police and they jump instantly on the thieves.
Old 23 March 2019, 06:48 PM   #27
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCY View Post
There is a Amsterdam local and vlogger, in his free time he goes out in the city and tries to spot pickpocketers, thieves and robbers. He has close connection with the Amsterdam police, so whenever he spots them he calls in straight to the responsible undercover team of the police dedicated to this type of crime.

4m30s: Thieves try to target an Asian tourist by asking to take a selfie of them. Once he thanks the tourist he feels and checks his wrist, but sees there´s nothing to steal.
4m55s: Vlogger sees known watch thieves.
6m05s: Thieves target a tourist couple, because one of them is wearing an AP. They "friendly wrestle" the victim. Vlogger had already informed the undercoverteam of the police and they jump instantly on the thieves.

Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_-ef_k5r1Y&t=270s
What does this prove? That theft happens in Amsterdam? Ok. So what? Theft happens everywhere. The question is, is Amsterdam substantially less safe than the average medium-sized city?

If you can prove that it is, then you have a point. I suspect though that you can’t and you don’t.
Old 23 March 2019, 06:52 PM   #28
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

In fact I just looked. Amsterdam is, according to the Safe Cities Index, published by The Economist, the sixth safest city in the world and the safest in Europe
Old 23 March 2019, 06:59 PM   #29
CCY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What does this prove? That theft happens in Amsterdam? Ok. So what? Theft happens everywhere. The question is, is Amsterdam substantially less safe than the average medium-sized city?

If you can prove that it is, then you have a point. I suspect though that you can’t and you don’t.
My second post was just to inform and show how these thugs works.
OP specifically asks about travelling with a Rolex/TT and I´m just informing him what´s going on there. Simple as that.
Old 23 March 2019, 07:50 PM   #30
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
I live in Amsterdam, it is a safe and clean city, every year visited by millions for business and leisure.
I wear a Rolex every day, but when I go to bars at night I slap on an inexpensive watch. I have no experience with watch thiefs, but there are robbers around and people (especially at night in the weekends) in the center get violently stripped of their expensive watch. Just use common sense.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote