The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 23 July 2021, 04:34 AM   #1
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Consign v. Sell Grey v. Sell Yourself

Would like to hear some members take on how to shake a watch. Recently sold my first piece vía consignment at a large and respectable grey dealer we all know.

Left about 1.5-2.3k on the table but did get a good price for my watch with none of the hassle. Just wondering what route people went the first time they let go of a piece.
Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:43 AM   #2
ROBERT1183
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX SOON
Ive sold some pieces on my own. A few tudors and a couple breitlings. If you have the time and dont mind dealing with a few tire kickers and scammers I say go for it and sell it your self. Its pretty easy with rolex seeing what the current market price is by looking at comps listed. Great pictures will aid in the sale. Recommend outside in natural light, but not direct sunlight.
ROBERT1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:46 AM   #3
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

First time, I sold to a local dealer. Now I always sell to a small local grey dealer. It will always leave some money on table, but such is life. The upside is that he can get whatever I want usually for a not bad price.

Selling here or own your own definitely appears to be the best option, but it takes a while to gain a reputation and history. I wouldn't buy from me.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:47 AM   #4
dannyp
Banned

You left out option 4: trade (to AD or grey). You’ll likely get a better price and will save on taxes vs purchasing.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:01 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It always comes down to a time vs money proposition IMHO.

Also, don’t assume you can get top dollar for your watch selling privately. Reputation counts for something and buyers who don’t know you, won’t pay the same price for the same watch as they can get at a reputable gray
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 07:29 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
The trusted sellers here have always made me fair offers. The convienence outweighs the few dollars more I might get after I pray that the transaction goes through.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 08:07 AM   #7
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex.Journey View Post
Left about 1.5-2.3k on the table but did get a good price for my watch with none of the hassle. Just wondering what route people went the first time they let go of a piece.
Did you conclude that based upon trusted dealer asking prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Also, don’t assume you can get top dollar for your watch selling privately. Reputation counts for something and buyers who don’t know you, won’t pay the same price for the same watch as they can get at a reputable gray

I think you put a fine point on it. Most individuals won’t get as good a price selling alone as a trusted dealer would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:53 PM   #8
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

I'd be very, very wary buying from a private seller, as would most people who aren't Rolex experts. It narrows the market massively for some one who wants to sell privately.

I know dealers can be just as economical with the truth as private sellers, but if they are a company of any size and are offering guaranteed authenticity then the law is on your side if there are any problems.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 08:17 PM   #9
PaulChronometer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Horage Array
I have sold a couple of less expensive watches through Chrono24 (price up to about € 1,500). Selling there is relatively safe, at least that's my experience so far. I would not sell more expensive watches there because the risks (also w.r.t. shipping) become larger.

I have sold an expensive watch to an AD (they also do pre-owned). Of course I will leave money on the table (at least 1K I guess), but the process is hassle-free and gives a lot of comfort. With the current market prices, they offer a surprisingly good price compared to what I paid for it, and also compared to current prices.

I would never sell an expensive watch myself (through something like eBay), because of the involved risks and attracting the wrong type of "buyer".
PaulChronometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 12:17 AM   #10
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
I sold my 114060 to a fellow member. I got more than any dealer offered by about 2 k but still sold it for less than any dealers were asking for the same piece. Couldn't list it here, put it on craigslist. After contacting me, we found out we're both members here. Great face to face transaction.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 11:30 AM   #11
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Did you conclude that based upon trusted dealer asking prices?

I think you put a fine point on it. Most individuals won’t get as good a price selling alone as a trusted dealer would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know what the watch should have sold for, and what they had it listed at on their website (which was a bit aggressive but not completely ridiculous). But yea, without being a trusted seller it didn’t leave a ton of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote