The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 July 2021, 10:07 PM   #31
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Look up their collection - neat. You can find almost any complication as well as simple stuff. Same with Lange and Vacheron. You can actually go to an AD and try a few watches. I don't see how a discontinuation of the single model will destroy the brand. Car makers have adopted to diversify so that they are not defined by the same model. Soft drink brands got into healthier alternatives. The list goes on and on.
i still remember Ben Clymer from Hodinkee in one of his videos saying:"in the category of watches above $100K patek philippe is in a league of their own".
Old 24 July 2021, 10:10 PM   #32
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
yes but relatively full safes in the rear

you took the words out of my mouth

PS: the safes also include ROs
Old 24 July 2021, 11:07 PM   #33
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post

you took the words out of my mouth

PS: the safes also include ROs
What an excellent sales strategy! Put nothing in the cases, offer nothing to potential buyers when they walk into the gallery, pay the rent, pay utilities, pay employees and allow the safes in the back to fill up to bursting.
I'm only surprised more businesses aren't following this model.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 04:03 AM   #34
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Patek made the right move. You don't want to anchor the entire brand on a single model. Look at AP - if you take RO and the offshoots (Offshore, Concept), the brand has little going for it. No interesting complications whatsoever and odd collabs.

Patek, Lange, Vacheron know what is up. They offer variety in terms of models and complications. Also, unless you're talking about an extra-extra thin two hander, most dress watches go well with polos and casual straps. For me, a sports watch is basically a synonym with a beater - a thing I can beat to death and replace for next to nothing. Therefore, I am doubling down on dress pieces.

I work around tech (I-banking) and I probably see more Aquanauts at my tech clients than Subs. For me, I delineate sports and dress by two main criterion. 1) Can I use it to swim and run without worry and 2) Do I actually I think that scratched and wear give it character and make the look more desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 10:36 AM   #35
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101 View Post
I find it funny when people label non sports Patek as dress pieces. Similar to vman, a sports watxh is something you can wear at pool or wherever and don’t have to worry about water resistance or a few dings.
All these complicated pieces can be dressed down with a less formal non alligator leather strap - huge amount of options out there. For example the blue calf strap which comes with the 5172g. They all look awesome to me and the nice thing is won’t draw attention like the steel or rose gold bracelets of nautilus.

Check out Russell photo of the stunning black 5370p on the 6007a strap - now that’s a Patek and stealth on a casual strap. Suitable for any occasion whatever you’re wearing in my opinion and no tux required lol.
Back to original theme I do think there is more and more interest amongst the younger generation with regard to calatrava and more complicated pieces and the brand history. It also seems a lot more people taking interest in the vintage pieces and enjoying wearing them which is great to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmichNJ View Post
I work around tech (I-banking) and I probably see more Aquanauts at my tech clients than Subs. For me, I delineate sports and dress by two main criterion. 1) Can I use it to swim and run without worry and 2) Do I actually I think that scratched and wear give it character and make the look more desirable.

True. And somewhat ironic given that Nautilus, Aquanaut, and RO have perfectly polished faces that attract scratches.

As for awesome discontinued cars, MB SLS and Gullwing, BMW Z8 come to mind. Freakishly awesome and short lived. That's why you cannot dilute their iconic status. Same with Nautilus. It is gone but won't be forgotten and lads will learn to appreciate new models.
Old 25 July 2021, 12:04 PM   #36
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Nope. They haven’t released anything interesting in steel on a strap yet. Give us a 5172A to get the ball rolling.

Also there will be another 3 hand nautilus in steel. I will take all bets to the contrary.
Old 25 July 2021, 05:53 PM   #37
Uros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Nope. They haven’t released anything interesting in steel on a strap yet. Give us a 5172A to get the ball rolling.

Also there will be another 3 hand nautilus in steel. I will take all bets to the contrary.

True…dont know why everyone talking like Nautilus is gone. We will have updated model for sure…

As for the strategy, Nautilus is more popular now than ever.

Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 10:06 PM   #38
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Also does Thierry need to convince the young and affluent or just convince the secondary dealers? Lol I’m half joking half not. If all the dealers decided to hoard PCC like they do sports pieces the market would dry up in a hurry. There’s not that many relative to the stuff they all bid up.
Old 25 July 2021, 10:32 PM   #39
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t think TS has steered anyone away from the nautilus. It’s popularity has just driven people to look elsewhere in the catalog since most people will not be able to get one. It’s not like he has significantly decreased supply. And the nautilus line is still there . He’s also never said the three-hander is going away. Saying the 5711 is discontinued is like saying the 116610 was discontinued. It will be replaced by an updated model like the SubC. PP, like Rolex, plays the game well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 05:15 AM   #40
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
you can still get a nautilus and i hope you do get allocated one, just not a steel 5711.
i have a steel 5712 and it is gorgeous.

Thank you, and I agree, the 5712 is gorgeous!

JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote