The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2021, 02:01 AM   #31
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
honestly, this is just like the Japanese CEO that cleans his own toilet in the office to remind himself that he started from the bottom. good for Mr stern that he doesnt spoil his kids but lets be honest if he wanted one he could get it. Im getting annoyed by this non-sense.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 02:10 AM   #32
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Responses in here makes me wonder if you’re serious about thinking that PP sees this as some kind of serious infraction? Let’s be clear, PP doesn’t care if one buyer manages to snag a huge premium by being the first one to flip a sealed watch. They might care a bit about the AD selling it sealed, but that’s a small loss compared to the upside.

I’m guessing that Stern is literally salivating over the buzz and press generated by a in-production simple time and date watch fetching 10x retail value at an auction.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 02:57 AM   #33
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

I imagine this is a far worse headache for Stern than any potential upside could offer... I doubt he's salivating over all the collectors who didn't get an allocation, and are reaching out in frustration.

I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest that Patek cares. For example, another location of my AD recently got in trouble because a customer listed a watch on Chrono24 the same day they bought it with the company logo visible on the receipt. Guess how they found out? Patek saw it and called them. Who knows if Patek considers it an "infraction" per se, but they clearly care enough to monitor the market and reprimand ADs. I really can't imagine this sealed green 5711 -- with the serial # visible and easily traceable back to the buyer and AD -- won't result in consequences for both... just my 2c
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 03:11 AM   #34
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I used to get them sealed all the time.

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 04:17 AM   #35
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
I imagine this is a far worse headache for Stern than any potential upside could offer... I doubt he's salivating over all the collectors who didn't get an allocation, and are reaching out in frustration.

I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest that Patek cares. For example, another location of my AD recently got in trouble because a customer listed a watch on Chrono24 the same day they bought it with the company logo visible on the receipt. Guess how they found out? Patek saw it and called them. Who knows if Patek considers it an "infraction" per se, but they clearly care enough to monitor the market and reprimand ADs. I really can't imagine this sealed green 5711 -- with the serial # visible and easily traceable back to the buyer and AD -- won't result in consequences for both... just my 2c
Agreed, Patek most certainly care and monitor the movement of their watches. They need Patek approval of customers for certain models and if you flipped the green dial it would be your last allocation of a hard to get Patek... someone maybe saw the upside $$$ and figured they don't care if they get anymore Pateks.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 04:58 AM   #36
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Agreed, Patek most certainly care and monitor the movement of their watches. They need Patek approval of customers for certain models and if you flipped the green dial it would be your last allocation of a hard to get Patek... someone maybe saw the upside $$$ and figured they don't care if they get anymore Pateks.
Honestly though, what can Patek do?
Will the AD get suspended? I certainly hope so just to give a warning to other ADs to not sell hot pieces via the back door to greys and share the profits.
But realistically all they gonna get is a slap on the wrist and a letter saying ‘how Patek Philippe is disappointed with the AD and hope not to repeat such incident again’ bla bla bla. Case closed.

Personally I feel that the AD which this piece originated from did not do their due diligence prior to allocating the watch. Most of the green 5711 owners are serious collectors with a stunning collection hence they get the allocation and usually they will enjoy it a few months to years before selling it on. Some never even considered selling theirs. The second scenario is that the AD got a proxy to sell the watch and together they split the profit. Hence why it’s sealed because ADs have been specifically instructed to take remove the seal upon purchase of the watch.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 05:46 AM   #37
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Because that way I knew they hadn’t been in the display case getting scratched.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 05:52 AM   #38
martinr
"TRF" Member

Patek does care about stuff like that green 5711 being sold right away. They read this forum and other forums and they don’t like posts about flippers and also about things like factory tours and who goes on them. Big brother is watching.
Old 10 July 2021, 06:01 AM   #39
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and also about things like factory tours and who goes on them
They don't like this or?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 06:26 AM   #40
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
They don't like this or?
They want it kept quiet. I got a call from my AD about a post I made about an upcoming tour. They wanted it taken down so I did. But they do pay attention. Not Thierry himself but the territory sales guys. And my AD told me about a customer that flipped an application piece right away. He was told not to sell anymore to that person. And he’d spent millions. I have no way to verify that but I trust my AD.
Old 10 July 2021, 06:34 AM   #41
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They want it kept quiet. I got a call from my AD about a post I made about an upcoming tour. They wanted it taken down so I did. But they do pay attention. Not Thierry himself but the territory sales guys. And my AD told me about a customer that flipped an application piece right away. He was told not to sell anymore to that person. And he’d spent millions. I have no way to verify that but I trust my AD.
This matches my experience, as well.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 07:24 AM   #42
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
This matches my experience, as well.
Good to know
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 04:26 PM   #43
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

So I don't know how much of this is true, but I have heard at least two ADs who were allocated the green 5711 and the owners chose not to sell to any customers, but keep to themselves. I'm guessing this could be one way a sealed 5711 ends up on auction.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 05:00 PM   #44
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

madness continues...

the 5711 continues, now with the green selling at 10X and the blue selling at 4-5X... it seems this movie will continue and i think Mr. Stern is happy about it. it is helping him drive secondary market price for Patek up... and brand value up. that is my view. Green at $300K and blue at $130K... this madness seems only continuing without any signs of slow down.
Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 07:45 PM   #45
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
So I don't know how much of this is true, but I have heard at least two ADs who were allocated the green 5711 and the owners chose not to sell to any customers, but keep to themselves. I'm guessing this could be one way a sealed 5711 ends up on auction.
The real question is, why would any non-corporate owner of an AD sell a green dial 5711 to any client? By keeping them in your safe, forever, you avoid the issues of 1) a buyer who flips it 2) a buyer who boasts about getting it, thereby pissing off all your other clients who didn't.
By hanging on to your allocation of these you can, eventually, fund your grandchildren's Ivy League college education.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:34 PM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Must be Stevensonian for him, Dr Thierry probably likes the buzz it creates, but Mr Stern does not like the tradeable commodity Pateks have become.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:41 PM   #47
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
The real question is, why would any non-corporate owner of an AD sell a green dial 5711 to any client? By keeping them in your safe, forever, you avoid the issues of 1) a buyer who flips it 2) a buyer who boasts about getting it, thereby pissing off all your other clients who didn't.
By hanging on to your allocation of these you can, eventually, fund your grandchildren's Ivy League college education.
If you have a big spender client and don't want to lose them, you sell them the watch. That's why. That's the business you're in.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 03:00 AM   #48
Trainedmonkey
"TRF" Member

My 5711-1A1 came sealed last year.
Trainedmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 06:43 AM   #49
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
It’s hype. It’s BS. PP thrives on it. Such is their lux biz model. Taking care of the upper 99.9 percentile customers.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 07:07 AM   #50
itspapi
"TRF" Member

It'll be interesting to follow though.. you have everything posted. Serials etc.. IF PP wanted to trace this, they could.
itspapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 09:40 PM   #51
watch-guy.com
Banned

Sold for E320k plus commission

Absolutely nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 10:57 PM   #52
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Looking forward to the “Incoming” thread lol.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 12:23 AM   #53
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
Antiquorum accidentally showing the client’s name is hilarious and infuriating. If that guy wasnt in the dog house with Patek already, he’s going to be for sure.

Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 12:35 AM   #54
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
Antiquorum accidentally showing the client’s name is hilarious and infuriating. If that guy wasnt in the dog house with Patek already, he’s going to be for sure.

Seriously at this point I think someone in Antiquorum is pissed at not getting the watch and is trying to destroy this guy due to personal hatred and vendetta.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 01:57 AM   #55
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Total price! I’m sure that’s one for the Patek museum!

Old 22 July 2021, 02:08 AM   #56
Nicof
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post

Damn

Nicof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 02:36 AM   #57
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicof View Post
Damn

He will be such a big hitter they will not care at all

Old 22 July 2021, 02:41 AM   #58
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Insane. There’s one born every minute!

Perhaps PP ought to suddenly ramp up production and screw the flippers? If they did that from time to time it might quieten down the market?
If pp dedicated the years production to nautilus models I don’t think it would make a dent in the market price.
Old 22 July 2021, 02:42 AM   #59
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
He will be such a big hitter they will not care at all

You're, no doubt, correct. They'll probably offer him another one unless he already has a second.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 03:36 AM   #60
Tinka2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5172, 116655, 1165
That sale was today wasn’t it, anyone know what it went for?

Tinka2020 is offline   Reply With Quote