The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2024, 02:22 AM   #1
pippinone
"TRF" Member

In praise of obscure, unpopular and unloved watches

First, want to point out that this is not my first post, but a return after a very long hiatus. New account because my e-mail has changed, and couldn't for the life of me remember old password.

Second, this post is primarily a reaction to the recent post about another poster being told by an AD that if he wanted a Snoopy Speedmaster he would have to become a VIP by spending $100,000 on other watches with the AD.

Third, although I generally love watches, collecting watches and the watch community, this is something that really ticks me off about this hobby. I've been collecting watches for 15-16 years albeit somewhat sporadically. I've managed to collect 10-11 watches. My entire collection accumulated over 15+ years didn't cost $100,000. It didn't cost $50,000. I've spent maybe $25-30,000. I consider that a lot. And of the 10-11 watches in my collection I think I've bought 1 from an AD. Everything else has been bought through the grey market, from individuals through a watch forum, from Chrono24 or from E-Bay. The vast majority have been purchased used.

Which finally brings me to my main point. I generally avoid the uber popular models like the plague and for whatever reason tend to gravitate towards the obscure or the unloved. I've never paid full retail for any of the watches I own and the thought that I'd have to pay over retail, put my name on a list and wait 6 months (or two years) to do it just pisses me off.

So, while I actually think the Snoopy is a pretty neat watch and would consider buying one if I could find a used one at a discount I can't imagine buying multiple watches I don't really want, just so I can eventually pay full price for a Snoopy.

Instead, I recently purchased a 57 re-issue Speedmaster 57' (the one with the co-axial 9300 movement) new off of Chrono24. I love the watch and love the movement. And luckily for whatever reason, this particular model never seemed to catch on. I think I paid slightly more than $4000 for it.

Similarly, recently bought a used Glashutte Original chronograph. Again I think I paid a little over $4000 for it. I absolutely love this watch. Beautifully finished, fantastic in-house movement. Sapphire case back. And pretty obscure. I think Glashutte makes about 10-11,000 watches a year. Rolex makes over a million.

Yes, I get that these are luxury products and I suppose if all I cared about was value for money I should just get a nice G-Shock for $100. And I understand that for some people watches are at least in part an investment. So they're willing to wait in line and pay full price for a Submariner because they will never lose money on it and can turn around and sell it in 5 years for more than they paid for it. I probably won't be able to do the same for my "bargain" Speedmaster or Glashutte.

But I'm still curious if others share my feelings. Or don't and are only interested in watches that are popular, considered highly desirable or are difficult to obtain.
pippinone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 05:20 AM   #2
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I get your point, and about the AD who tried to muscle a customer to spend $100,000 to get a Snoopy, I have my doubts about that story.

As for all the other bs associated with getting a Rolex, fortunately I’ve assembled a collection pre-Covid that I’m happy with, so I don’t have to put up with that crap. In the last few years I have joined a couple of local watch clubs, they’ve opened my eyes to a whole new world of brands, styles and vintage pieces. I’ve come to appreciate Grand Seiko, JLC, Sinn among others, even a Wempe, a great everyday watch. And I’ll always find room for an Omega, they make a great watch; I’ve had and several, all terrific timepieces.

And while I’ve purchased most of my watches new, and from an AD, I can’t remember ever paying full retail, except once. A NOS Rolex GMT II LN, discontinued model, they were fetching $7k over msrp, I paid just original msrp, and no tax.

And I’m keen to pick up a Glashutte, they have a couple of really great models, just which one.
Old 11 January 2024, 10:54 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Yeah, I don't chase wait-in-line watches. The closest I'll probably ever come to that is if my wife ever asks for gift ideas (milestone anniversary, etc.), in which case I'll let her get in line for a new Speedmaster with Caliber 321 in steel and see if anything ever comes of it.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much with you: I would rather spend my time and money hunting down a nicely preserved Constellation with Caliber 8500 for $2k.

Welcome back to the forum, BTW
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 08:33 PM   #4
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
In praise of obscure, unpopular and unloved watches

I never get hung up on that. I suppose I have all the “popular” watches. But you rarely see them out in the wild that much (if ever at all). Being popular on internet watch forums is different than being popular in real life.

It’s not like everyone you see is wearing a Speedmaster or GMT BLNR. When I see someone wearing one, it’s an extremely rare event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 01:25 AM   #5
pippinone
"TRF" Member

Jack, yes Glashutte is definitely worth checking out. I confess that my collecting has been sporadic. Started getting into into about 15 years ago and over the next 3-4 years probably bought 6-7 watches. Basically just wore those in rotation until about 6 months ago when I started watching YouTube videos, which reminded me how much I love watches. Since then have purchased three additional watches including a GO. Don't think they were even on my radar until recently.

And no real watch clubs around me. One of the things that originally got me into watches was the Panerai forum. Own two and they were among my first purchases. Just really love the design, and I tend to like larger watches. Back then there was a real community of Panerai owners and I even attended a couple of GTG. Plus the forum was a great way to buy a used Panerai and there were a lot fewer scammers/fakes. Seems like the current Panerai forum is a shadow of its former self.

AEC - Hey, I've got a milestone anniversary coming up too. 40 years in March. Maybe I'll be a couple of spots behind you for that 321.:)

Krash - It's true the forums don't necessarily reflect real life. Honestly the only time I recall seeing a Panerai (except at a GTG) was on a train heading towards ... Florence.:) And if I ever saw someone else wearing a Damasko I'd probably invite him to dinner.
pippinone is offline   Reply With Quote