The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 12 March 2024, 01:50 PM   #1
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

The future of CODE 11.59

I'm a big fan of the CODE 11.59 line. Not only the recent releases dated back from last year's steel releases onwards but starting from the 2nd generation (those lacquered smoke dial in PM).

As everyone is aware, prices on the secondary market is way below the rrp. Just curious, will the recent "success" of the CODE releases help the previous releases turn the tide in the future? Not referring to near future but probably 10 years down the road. Everyone knows the RO and ROO are also considered flops when it was just launched and only gained their popularity years later.

Appreciate your views and inputs.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 02:08 PM   #2
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Everyone I know with a code only bought one because AP made them do it to get an RO.

I don’t know anyone that has bought one because they thought it’s a cool watch at MSRP lol
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 02:25 PM   #3
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Everyone I know with a code only bought one because AP made them do it to get an RO.

I don’t know anyone that has bought one because they thought it’s a cool watch at MSRP lol
I did. I bought my code as a 3rd watch voluntarily after getting a blue 50th 15510st.

My SA never told me to purchase one or even brought it up as an option.

I’ll likely buy a few more down the line. New releases from a few days ago are really nice.
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 02:32 PM   #4
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Pretty odd comment, to be polite, given the significant number of people right here who bought a Code without AP "making them do it".
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 02:54 PM   #5
KJBrandal
"TRF" Member

I own a 15710ST and a 26240OR and bought the white gold QP as my 3rd AP. Love the dial and its so easy to wear, flies completely under the radar. I think you’ll find that alot more people have started appreciating the code due to the different dial’s and case materials.
Rolex: 116610LV - 126710BLNR - 116503 - 126655 - 228235
Omega: 2200.50.00
KJBrandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 03:14 PM   #6
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I don't see myself buying or wearing a code. Never say never. But I do hope they catch on to be come more successful than RO so ROs are easier to obtain
Old 12 March 2024, 03:20 PM   #7
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:

I know plenty of people that bought a Code because they liked it versus buying one to get an RO. There is definitely a contingent of people who did, but you can't say everyone.

The dials of the launch edition Code's was a miss, but the subsequent releases have been quite good. The case is a nice design and you can only appreciate it by handling it in person.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 03:32 PM   #8
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

The code is a modern version of the Millinery...

1 of 50 bought s code voluntarily. and they suffer from the same reliability issues that AP is known for... especially as you go up the scale with complications.
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 04:59 PM   #9
Palex
"TRF" Member

I really like the Code. Owning a code and RO’s, I can say that I like the Code just as much as the RO. Will be adding more Codes for sure. The case design and lugs, the saffire, there’s a lot to like!

More and more people are seeing that.
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 05:03 PM   #10
lucasalce
"TRF" Member

I bought my code with the intend of getting something down the line but after owning it for awhile, started to love it and wear it more than my other APs. It get the same amount of wrist time as my royal oaks.
lucasalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 05:11 PM   #11
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzachi View Post
The code is a modern version of the Millinery...

1 of 50 bought s code voluntarily. and they suffer from the same reliability issues that AP is known for... especially as you go up the scale with complications.
The Millenary is way more unique IMO and visually interesting. If AP rereleased a modern version it would be an instant buy for me. Used to wear my 4101 as a daily for a while.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 06:06 PM   #12
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

It sounds like a lot of people bought codes to advance their account but then grew to love them. The case is pretty unique and does really grow on you.

I have to admit, I wasn't the biggest fan, but the QP, Starwheel and some of the 2nd gen ones are pretty nice.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 06:23 PM   #13
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't see many agree with your assumption. I do get it that a majority doesn't agree with the design yet but that doesn't mean all are in that camp. I have a close friend who is a long time AP focused collector and within his collection, there are multiple hot pieces. He definitely does not need to buy a CODE to access RO allocation. And he's now deep into CODEs, owning 7 pieces within 3 years. He's the one that passed the CODE bug to me.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 07:39 PM   #14
PattayaHammerTime
"TRF" Member

another CODE thread to bring out the haters and let them give it a shoe in

I bought one, never owned an AP before that, wasn't strong armed into it and it is pretty much my daily.... does that make me a loser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kettle.jpg (50.4 KB, 978 views)
PattayaHammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 07:42 PM   #15
adi365
"TRF" Member

bought my CODE before I like the design, and after my 3 ROs (one is wife's).
TBH i am starting to like CODE more than RO
adi365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 09:14 PM   #16
ts3
"TRF" Member

The dials have gotten better and the Starwheel dial is gorgeous but the case remains an over-designed abomination in my eyes.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 10:11 PM   #17
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
I'm a big fan of the CODE 11.59 line.
If you are a big fan it’s a great time to buy on the aftermarket. Many new / unworn models to buy at half price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Halothane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 12:28 AM   #18
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Where are all the half priced Codes? I’d love to pick one up at that price point
Old 13 March 2024, 01:25 AM   #19
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Having just seen the new PM collection in the flesh, I'm very positive about the Code collection. The new dial really makes all the difference.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:46 AM   #20
Gavster
"TRF" Member

I really enjoy wearing my steel code chrono, I think the dial is much better than the earlier editions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9417.jpeg (109.5 KB, 881 views)
Gavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 04:48 AM   #21
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

I am not an AP owner, but the Code 11.59 has drawn my interest for ownership.

I am a fan of “round” looking watches, and the Code fits my profile.

From an outsider looking in, I am puzzled that there are so many that find the Code distasteful …
I get that it’s not a RO, but to not think that this watch is beautiful (??) … I just don’t get …

Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 04:55 AM   #22
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Pretty odd comment, to be polite, given the significant number of people right here who bought a Code without AP "making them do it".

Agree totally

ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:16 AM   #23
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex

Loving mine. It was my first AP. Asked specifically for this combination and got it 4 months later.
I think the latest PM releases will be quite popular.

Code 11.59 is here to stay and will become more prominent in the coming years.

AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 06:02 AM   #24
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
Where are all the half priced Codes? I’d love to pick one up at that price point

Just a simple search online away. These are from today.

Halothane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 07:59 AM   #25
gregouille
"TRF" Member

First time I saw the code I did like it a lot. Almost bought one but couldn’t justify the high price tag. When I saw the release of the starwheel that what for me an instant buy. And I love it!
Will probably buy another code soon on the secondary market. (There the value is AWESOME)
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 02:19 AM   #26
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

The thing with the Code is that it wears amazingly well, there’s just something with its ergonomics that makes it sit perfectly, at least on my wrist. That alone, and of course the amazing case features, the wonderful dial (aventurine perpetual) and the cool crystal have made this my favorite watch with a great distance.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 02:27 AM   #27
chaucer
"TRF" Member

I think it wouldn’t get so much hate at a different price point. They are impressive in person but should retail at about 25% less in my opinion. As shown above, they’re selling for 55-60% on gray market. Well, except for the Starwheel I saw on Moda yesterday…who’s getting blacklisted?!
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 03:32 AM   #28
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
When you are a hammer everything looks like a nail. Par for the course for a few posters in the AP sub forum.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 03:57 AM   #29
Broadbear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaucer View Post
I think it wouldn’t get so much hate at a different price point. They are impressive in person but should retail at about 25% less in my opinion. As shown above, they’re selling for 55-60% on gray market. Well, except for the Starwheel I saw on Moda yesterday…who’s getting blacklisted?!

A friend of mine wanted to buy a Starwheel from the secondary market, only caveat was he couldn’t register it to his account after purchase. That’s why they don’t necessarily get blacklisted I’d suppose.

Broadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 04:08 AM   #30
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I like the code but it's weird that people are trying to justify themselves buying one.... It's like just enjoy your watch you don't need to justify your purchase to others on an forum. There are hublots I like that everyone would gasp me liking, but who cares I like it.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote