The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 30 May 2021, 10:02 PM   #31
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Btw, the real logical conclusion would be weekly online live auctions, e.g., every Monday, 12PM GVA time. Certified account statements due the week before. Finally everyone on equal footing. No more whining, just put up or shut up.

That would probably be a glorious disaster.

Then it would turn into a d*ck measuring contest and then the biggest d*cks would own all the best watches, at least the existing method ensures that total d*cks don’t get what they want as fast as they’re accustomed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 10:54 PM   #32
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Then it would turn into a d*ck measuring contest and then the biggest d*cks would own all the best watches, at least the existing method ensures that total d*cks don’t get what they want as fast as they’re accustomed to.

Dream on.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 11:14 PM   #33
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
That would really take the fun out of it. All of this stuff about relationships and getting to know / interacting with people. An internet based system would be so transactional

AP, more than any other brand that I know, are about people and interactions. It’s why they don’t do online sales and regularly host marketing events
I am perplexed at the stubborn clinging to this idea of the importance of the personal relationship when it's clear that the move in high end watches is toward the spend. AP don't care whether you're a nice guy and you sit around with the SA shooting the breeze and having espressos for hours. They want you to buy watches they feel they have to make but can't sell. Go in to a boutique and spend one million $/Euros/Pounds/CHF and treat the SAs like dogs and you'll still get an invite to buy whatever you want. All this personal relationship stuff is so much smoke and mirrors.
That's why, I think, the move to online vetting is all but inevitable.
Fortunately, the mighty, equalizing Grey Market exists where it's clear that only your money matters. A few TRFers have made the calculus that, ultimately, it's the same cost to suck up to the boutiques and up your spend on watches you don't want as it is to buy Grey and pay the premium. And, in the grey market, you might actually make a friend, though it's unlikely.
Old 30 May 2021, 11:15 PM   #34
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The people with the biggest d*cks do own all the watches. What reality are you living in?

The house concept is nice. But they shouldn't make any watch a house exclusive until they have more of them all over the world. It's complete BS and gives an advantage to anyone who has one in their city.

Houses and boutiques should get the same stuff. When there are as many houses as boutiques then fine, they can do that stuff to make certain pieces only for the houses.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 12:14 AM   #35
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
The house concept is nice. But they shouldn't make any watch a house exclusive until they have more of them all over the world. It's complete BS and gives an advantage to anyone who has one in their city.
Not sure how this is any more BS (or not) than any other method for allocating oversubscribed goods?
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 12:16 AM   #36
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The people with the biggest d*cks do own all the watches. What reality are you living in?
I’m sure those guys have also worked extremely hard at building their AP relationship and are rewarded accordingly. All I’m saying is don’t open up the system to where it’s only the size of you wallet that counts, that system already exists in the grey market.

Old 31 May 2021, 01:43 AM   #37
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I am perplexed at the stubborn clinging to this idea of the importance of the personal relationship when it's clear that the move in high end watches is toward the spend. AP don't care whether you're a nice guy and you sit around with the SA shooting the breeze and having espressos for hours. They want you to buy watches they feel they have to make but can't sell. Go in to a boutique and spend one million $/Euros/Pounds/CHF and treat the SAs like dogs and you'll still get an invite to buy whatever you want. All this personal relationship stuff is so much smoke and mirrors.
You are way off the mark, but there's no point going over old ground, so believe what you like.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 01:59 AM   #38
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Houses and boutiques should get the same stuff. When there are as many houses as boutiques then fine, they can do that stuff to make certain pieces only for the houses.
It's just an allocation, it's not set in stone. If a US client has the credentials with a US AP Boutique then for sure an 'exclusive' AP House piece can and will be made available.

'Trading' favours between AP Boutiques is certainly done, e.g. if AP House London knows that there's a piece in AP Germany and a local customer wants it, then they'll call in a favour and ask for that piece to be sent over to London.

P.s.

The US is due for some ONLY FOR THE US market pieces, is that fair? :)
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 02:04 AM   #39
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
You are way off the mark, but there's no point going over old ground, so believe what you like.
Ok, thanks, I will.
Old 31 May 2021, 02:47 AM   #40
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanxi View Post
Just a nice guy ;-)
Besides the means, that's usually all it takes to acquire these references from AD...
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 02:51 AM   #41
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for attempting to clarify, yet, how is this different from my interpretation?AP could save themselves a lot of money by simply allowing clients to apply online for Royal Oaks, after all, you don't actually have to see the watch, you know you want it. They would be able to check your bona fides and accept or reject you, or tell you how much more of a spend you need, within moments. No real estate, no SAs, no security guards to throw out disappointed clients who get violent, no lunch, no Scotch.
The entire system needs a revamping. Just like ADs were dumped in favor of Boutiques, Boutiques are now dumped in favor of Houses, and Houses will be dumped in favor of internet vetting.
That internet stuff is for Ming, Kurono Toyko or sneaker drops..

AP? Nope
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 07:16 AM   #42
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's just an allocation, it's not set in stone. If a US client has the credentials with a US AP Boutique then for sure an 'exclusive' AP House piece can and will be made available.

'Trading' favours between AP Boutiques is certainly done, e.g. if AP House London knows that there's a piece in AP Germany and a local customer wants it, then they'll call in a favour and ask for that piece to be sent over to London.

P.s.

The US is due for some ONLY FOR THE US market pieces, is that fair? :)
I think all non Japan markets need some love!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 07:22 AM   #43
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1 View Post
No tapisserie and the green / black color gradients makes it look like H. Moser to me.

This.

NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 09:07 PM   #44
HelixL
"TRF" Member

You may like or dislike the fumee dial. You may argue that a tapisserie would have been nicer. BUT
This doesnt feel like a Moser and doesnt look like a Moser.
Have to hold one in the flesh to be able to truly get the feel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BCCE5287-6A33-4629-B0E2-4EAA14010B91.jpeg (82.2 KB, 173 views)
HelixL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 09:59 PM   #45
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helixl View Post
you may like or dislike the fumee dial. You may argue that a tapisserie would have been nicer. But
this doesnt feel like a moser and doesnt look like a moser.
Have to hold one in the flesh to be able to truly get the feel.

+1
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 11:48 PM   #46
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
That's why, I think, the move to online vetting is all but inevitable.
Fortunately, the mighty, equalizing Grey Market exists where it's clear that only your money matters. A few TRFers have made the calculus that, ultimately, it's the same cost to suck up to the boutiques and up your spend on watches you don't want as it is to buy Grey and pay the premium. And, in the grey market, you might actually make a friend, though it's unlikely.
My belief is quite the opposite. These days, there are numerous people with plenty of money to spend on expensive watches. I believe AP is looking to establish long lasting relationships with customers who appreciate the product and can represent it well in public.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 11:59 PM   #47
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I think we can simply the argument to three statements:

1. Money + good attitude = relationship + watches available.
2. No money + good attitude = no relationship and no watches available.
3. Money + arrogant entitled attitude = no relationship but watches available.

https://youtu.be/8eH4eD7q04o

okay?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 12:07 AM   #48
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
The idea of the Houses is a new concept and it’s not intended to be more exclusive, it’s a ‘club’ experience where you can go with friends, spend 2-3 hours there having a coffee and then maybe a whisky and maybe even something to eat. While you’re there the staff will bring a selection of watches to show you but there’s no pressure at all. The House concept really allows the brand a better opportunity to get to know you and to really build the relationship. The concept is excellent and I imagine other brands will follow and I would expect AP to add more around the world.

Don't forget ping pong with the staff, and fingers crossed a pool table soon...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 12:08 AM   #49
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Don't forget ping pong with Ines, and fingers crossed a pool table soon...

It’s a great ping pong table, I got beaten by Sandra!

Old 1 June 2021, 12:38 AM   #50
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post

okay?
Sounds like a BCG 2x2 is in order…

@guanxi, how is your 26574ST holding up in your power rankings after all these new heavy hitters? Where does it sit in your preferred AP’s now?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 01:08 AM   #51
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post

okay?
Precisely.
Old 1 June 2021, 01:09 AM   #52
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Sounds like a BCG 2x2 is in order…
So that's how consultants make a living?
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 01:23 AM   #53
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
My belief is quite the opposite. These days, there are numerous people with plenty of money to spend on expensive watches. I believe AP is looking to establish long lasting relationships with customers who appreciate the product and can represent it well in public.
It will be interesting to see if AP begins closing some Boutiques in favor of having Houses, albeit, fewer of them in a "we're not going to come to you, you can come to us" play. If AP can rely on the big spenders to buy their annual production they don't need outlets all over the hinterlands when the well heeled, traveling class can make a trip to the House and pick up five high margin pieces at a time.
The Houses can even be turned into micro hotels to accommodate your visit and, thereby, become their own buying/vacation destinations.
Old 1 June 2021, 01:25 AM   #54
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I very much doubt this is the case.
There is such shortage of offer vs. demand in all markets, I can't see how in the world AP Milan would send a watch to Germany, UK or France. The few they get is sold nearly instantly anyway. And from my personal experience they don't even know what will be in the batch they receive every fortnight.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 04:39 AM   #55
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
I very much doubt this is the case.
There is such shortage of offer vs. demand in all markets, I can't see how in the world AP Milan would send a watch to Germany, UK or France. The few they get is sold nearly instantly anyway. And from my personal experience they don't even know what will be in the batch they receive every fortnight.

It is correct, how do you think people in the UK & US managed to buy the pride of Germany and other limited editions?
Old 1 June 2021, 04:51 AM   #56
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
It is correct, how do you think people in the UK & US managed to buy the pride of Germany and other limited editions?
Not disagreeing with you Ash but some of us flew to Germany to get their PoG's :)
Old 1 June 2021, 05:50 AM   #57
xsnv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Houses can even be turned into micro hotels to accommodate your visit and, thereby, become their own buying/vacation destinations.
Can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic...which is something in itself
xsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 07:05 AM   #58
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
Can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic...which is something in itself
Remember when Baccarat only sold crystal and Hard Rock sold burgers? Now they're Hoteliers. Based on AshAP's description of the AP House (I've never been to one myself) they have entertainment, food, liquor so what's next? This way you can sleep on your decision and place your watch order in the morning when you check out.
Old 1 June 2021, 08:01 AM   #59
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Remember when Baccarat only sold crystal and Hard Rock sold burgers? Now they're Hoteliers. Based on AshAP's description of the AP House (I've never been to one myself) they have entertainment, food, liquor so what's next? This way you can sleep on your decision and place your watch order in the morning when you check out.

Check out the new AP hotel in Le Brassus, you’re not far from the truth. I haven’t been to the new one yet but I did stay at the old one and it was a fantastic few days away.

Old 1 June 2021, 10:06 AM   #60
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post

Exactly this!
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote