The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 January 2022, 03:43 AM   #1
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Tech Info on 1910-1920 Aegler Movements?

I'm striking out in my search for technical information on early twentieth century Aegler movements used in Rolex watches. Specifically, my circa 1915 Rolex "officer's trench watch" is engraved "Rolex Extra Prima 18 Jewels" on the movement, and I'd like to find any available published information about servicing it. The case number is 609204. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

TIA.

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 03:01 PM   #2
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

I removed the movement from the case to take off the dial and hands to send out for removing the 107 year old radium and reluming. I took some better photos, and note the movement is engraved "7153 REBBERG DEPOSE"...

Clues anyone about where to find more details, or should I just enjoy the fact that it's in really great shape and keeping good time?

The diameter is closest to 12 1/2 Lignes.

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite

- Stan
Old 6 February 2022, 07:52 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Around that time, or perhaps a bit earlier, Wilsdorf & Davis was a fledgling company and pretty much imported all of their parts and simply put them together as an import/export business.

Aegler was manufacturing movements in its factory in the Rebberg district of Bienne; Rebberg was a registered trade mark for Aegler. All of Aeglers movements made there are referred to as "Rebbergs", even if they don't have the stamp.

They are in a lot of watches besides early Rolex (W&D) watches.
Old 6 February 2022, 08:58 AM   #4
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Around that time, or perhaps a bit earlier, Wilsdorf & Davis was a fledgling company and pretty much imported all of their parts and simply put them together as an import/export business.

Aegler was manufacturing movements in its factory in the Rebberg district of Bienne; Rebberg was a registered trade mark for Aegler. All of Aeglers movements made there are referred to as "Rebbergs", even if they don't have the stamp.

They are in a lot of watches besides early Rolex (W&D) watches.
Thanks, Larry; your comments are always appreciated.

The movement is in a .925 silver case marked W&D and Rolex on two surfaces; the dial isn't marked at all. I've sent the dial and hands out to have the 107 year old radium lume removed and relumed with "vintage" color Luminova.

- Stan
Old 8 February 2022, 02:41 AM   #5
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Quick update: a commenter on the NAWCC forums says the .925 sterling silver case was imported into London between mid-1914 and mid-1915 based on the town assay mark and date letter mark on the case.

- Stan
Old 13 April 2022, 12:43 AM   #6
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Photo after the dial was refinished and relumed. The movement keeps excellent time for its age (gains less than a minute over 24 hours on my wrist).

- Stan