The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 September 2022, 06:14 AM   #1
GST15
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Posts: 1,551
Question on Amplitude on GMT 3285 movement

I have been reading about the inner workings of watches, and recently purchased a timegrapher. I have about a dozen higher end watches, including 4 modern and several vintage Rolex, Omega, Cartier and Breitling.

My Rolex GMT Master ll, purchased from my AD in 2020 is running between 0 and -2 Spd, 0 beat error and at the correct 28,800. The problem, (if it is one) is that the amplitude is running between 220 and 245. I have read that the amplitude should fall somewhere between 275 and 310, which is where my other (3) 32XX
movements fall.

Is this something that I should be overly concerned with of should I just monitor its behavior, since I have 3 years remaining on the factory warranty. I am inclined to do this, since it is pretty much running perfectly.

Thanks for the help.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 06:41 AM   #2
amanbra
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Real Name: Graham
Location: Aus
Posts: 2,413
Question on amplitude- 3285 movement

Hey youíre about to go down a rabbit hole but at least you can keep a close eye on your watch.

Warning there are a fair few here that deny there any issues with the 32xx. They will chime in.

Firstly what amp you mentioned for it to be worth anything you need to state if itís are full wind or 24 hours etc and what position your watch is in.

Have you set your lift angle to 53?

Officially what you need to test is after 24 hrs does your watch hold 200 amp in all positions.

For me though the first giveaway is a change in time keeping since when the watch was new. Has it changed for you? Do you wear it enough to be able to detect a change?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 07:24 AM   #3
GST15
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
Hey youíre about to go down a rabbit hole but at least you can keep a close eye on your watch.

Warning there are a fair few here that deny there any issues with the 32xx. They will chime in.

Firstly what amp you mentioned for it to be worth anything you need to state if itís are full wind or 24 hours etc and what position your watch is in.

Have you set your lift angle to 53?

Officially what you need to test is after 24 hrs does your watch hold 200 amp in all positions.

For me though the first giveaway is a change in time keeping since when the watch was new. Has it changed for you? Do you wear it enough to be able to detect a change?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply.
The readings are fully wound with the dial in the face up position.

Lift angle is at 53 (I did look that up)

I really don't wear it enough to detect a change, but it has always been +or- a couple seconds, as I have checked on my phone clock over 24 hrs in the past.

I will report back after 24 hrs. to see if it falls below 200.

Thanks again
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 07:37 AM   #4
amanbra
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Real Name: Graham
Location: Aus
Posts: 2,413
Question on amplitude- 3285 movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
Thanks for your reply.
The readings are fully wound with the dial in the face up position.

Lift angle is at 53 (I did look that up)

I really don't wear it enough to detect a change, but it has always been +or- a couple seconds, as I have checked on my phone clock over 24 hrs in the past.

I will report back after 24 hrs. to see if it falls below 200.

Thanks again

Okay so fully wound dial up and an amp of 250 is definitely in the low side. When my watches have done that they were at the initial stages of decline and struggle to hold 200 after 24 hours in a vertical position like crown up or down. See how you go but this is the beauty of a timegrapher you can catch it early.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 07:45 AM   #5
GST15
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
Okay so fully would dial up and an amp of 250 is definitely in the low side. When my watches have done that they were at the initial stages of decline and struggle to hold 200 after 24 hours in a vertical position like crown up or down. See how you go but this is the beauty of a timegrapher you can catch it early.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I will report back and keep an eye on it.
Has the Rolex fix had any real success to this point?
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 09:16 AM   #6
amanbra
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Real Name: Graham
Location: Aus
Posts: 2,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
Thanks. I will report back and keep an eye on it.
Has the Rolex fix had any real success to this point?

No one knows because Rolex donít say anything and the watchmakers in this forum have gone quiet. With many late model watches going bad we do suspect that they donít have a full handle on it but again we donít know for sure.

I have a dj that has been in twice now to rsc. This second visit is going well at the moment for me but it hasnít been a year since coming back so again who knows.

Iím one of the roulette players with this movement. Had/have 9 32xx now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 02:09 AM   #7
GST15
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Posts: 1,551
Well, after 24 hours, still dial up:
-2 spd (consistent with its performance over the past 2 years with occasional use)
Amplitude is at 220
Beat error is 0.1ms
28,000

Any thoughts Graham? or anyone else.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 08:08 AM   #8
amanbra
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Real Name: Graham
Location: Aus
Posts: 2,413
Question on amplitude- 3285 movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
Well, after 24 hours, still dial up:
-2 spd (consistent with its performance over the past 2 years with occasional use)
Amplitude is at 220
Beat error is 0.1ms
28,000

Any thoughts Graham? or anyone else.

What was it crown up or down? Dial up at 220 Iím going to guess crown up or down will be about 190 ish. Technically out of spec if thatís the case.

If itís fine when youíre wearing keep wearing it. Based on what we know it will get worse over time after you see this. If it has always run like this maybe you have a low amp movement for this one but one that actually keeps time okay.

Check it again after a year or when you notice itís different to what youíre use to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 08:40 AM   #9
watchmavan
"TRF" Member
 
watchmavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Real Name: Michael
Location: Melbourne, Aust
Watch: Polar 16570
Posts: 1,141
I'd be taking it in more than likely. Check over the next two months first perhaps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 08:44 AM   #10
GST15
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
What was it crown up or down? Dial up at 220 Iím going to guess crown up or down will be about 190 ish. Technically out of spec if thatís the case.

If itís fine when youíre wearing keep wearing it. Based on what we know it will get worse over time after you see this. If it has always run like this maybe you have a low amp movement for this one but one that actually keeps time okay.

Check it again after a year or when you notice itís different to what youíre use to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graham,
Thank you for your assistance. I will take your advice and monitor it over the next year. I'm sure that I will eventually send it back for service under warranty.

You are kind for taking the time to help me out.
Regards
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 08:46 AM   #11
GST15
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
I'd be taking it in more than likely. Check over the next two months first perhaps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes. I'm sure that I will. I appreciate the response
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 04:57 AM   #12
mikeo1
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: california
Posts: 25
GMT II you purchased it in 2020 was it new or used?
mikeo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 07:03 AM   #13
GST15
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
GMT II you purchased it in 2020 was it new or used?
New from the AD
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 11:34 PM   #14
HiBoost
2022 Pledge Member
 
HiBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
I have been reading about the inner workings of watches, and recently purchased a timegrapher. I have about a dozen higher end watches, including 4 modern and several vintage Rolex, Omega, Cartier and Breitling.

My Rolex GMT Master ll, purchased from my AD in 2020 is running between 0 and -2 Spd, 0 beat error and at the correct 28,800. The problem, (if it is one) is that the amplitude is running between 220 and 245. I have read that the amplitude should fall somewhere between 275 and 310, which is where my other (3) 32XX
movements fall.

Is this something that I should be overly concerned with of should I just monitor its behavior, since I have 3 years remaining on the factory warranty. I am inclined to do this, since it is pretty much running perfectly.

Thanks for the help.
Something seems a bit odd with both sets of numbers you are quoting. Multiple Rolex trained watchmakers have noted that the 32xx produces lower amplitude as compared to previous generations of movements, even when everything is "perfect". The belief is that this goes hand-in-hand with the more efficient escapement and mainspring changes and helps achieve the longer power reserve. I have never seen anyone claim an amplitude of 300 or more on a 32xx. Are you really seeing that on your others?

My two 32xx do 270-275 and 255-260, respectively, dial up, full wind. The "good" one is still over 200 degrees in vertical positions 24 hours after full wind (the only amplitude spec which Rolex has actually put out), whereas the "bad" one falls to the 180s.

If the most you can ever get out of yours is 220-240, full wind, horizontal position, then that would seem to be quite low.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 10:04 AM   #15
amanbra
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Real Name: Graham
Location: Aus
Posts: 2,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Something seems a bit odd with both sets of numbers you are quoting. Multiple Rolex trained watchmakers have noted that the 32xx produces lower amplitude as compared to previous generations of movements, even when everything is "perfect". The belief is that this goes hand-in-hand with the more efficient escapement and mainspring changes and helps achieve the longer power reserve. I have never seen anyone claim an amplitude of 300 or more on a 32xx. Are you really seeing that on your others?

My two 32xx do 270-275 and 255-260, respectively, dial up, full wind. The "good" one is still over 200 degrees in vertical positions 24 hours after full wind (the only amplitude spec which Rolex has actually put out), whereas the "bad" one falls to the 180s.

If the most you can ever get out of yours is 220-240, full wind, horizontal position, then that would seem to be quite low.
Yeah it is a tad low for full wind dial up. OP really should have tested the vertical positions at the 24 hour mark.

Re the 300, I have an explorer 1 that hit 300 full wind, 270 vert not sure if you every saw my post on that in the mega thread... very rare though... and to be honest it's super erratic... I don't like it...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 11:13 AM   #16
HiBoost
2022 Pledge Member
 
HiBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
Yeah it is a tad low for full wind dial up. OP really should have tested the vertical positions at the 24 hour mark.

Re the 300, I have an explorer 1 that hit 300 full wind, 270 vert not sure if you every saw my post on that in the mega thread... very rare though... and to be honest it's super erratic... I don't like it...
I didn't see you post that. I assume you mean a new 124270?
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 07:52 PM   #17
amanbra
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Real Name: Graham
Location: Aus
Posts: 2,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I didn't see you post that. I assume you mean a new 124270?

Yeah thatís right. I jagged a freak of a movement for that one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2022, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.