The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 April 2022, 09:42 PM   #1
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Gold Octo Finissimo

Hey Guys-

Hope everyone is doing great! Anybody here own or try on the gold octo finissimo? Looks like a stunning watch but I’m looking for some thoughts, feedback, or reviews.

Let me know. Appreciate you. Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 10:04 PM   #2
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Tried the OF RG full a year ago. It’s been discontinued since then but I really like the clay-like appearance.

Price was outrageous though, and despite enjoying the design the OF line is far too wide and the bracelet needs working.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 11:36 PM   #3
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Tried the OF RG full a year ago. It’s been discontinued since then but I really like the clay-like appearance.

Price was outrageous though, and despite enjoying the design the OF line is far too wide and the bracelet needs working.

How was the weight? Did it feel like a hefty gold watch? Would you take it over a day date for instance?

Old 13 April 2022, 01:25 AM   #4
shafran
"TRF" Member

I own one. It's much more under the radar than the day date.
It's also not as heavy, but I love it for dressing up. Wears more like a nautilus in gold
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 02:31 AM   #5
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
I own one. It's much more under the radar than the day date.
It's also not as heavy, but I love it for dressing up. Wears more like a nautilus in gold

Could you daily it? How has the bracelet and go fishing held up through your ownership. Would love wrist pics!! Thanks!!

Old 13 April 2022, 02:57 AM   #6
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Could you daily it? How has the bracelet and go fishing held up through your ownership. Would love wrist pics!! Thanks!!

I’ve seen this piece in person, it’s very seductive. I’m not a gold guy in general but this one is an outlier. I would also be interested to know how the finish holds up to daily wear. The colour and finish are the big attraction.
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 04:20 AM   #7
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
How was the weight? Did it feel like a hefty gold watch? Would you take it over a day date for instance?

Weight was very satisfying! It’s really the texture I enjoyed. It truly felt like a heavy clay on my wrist and the color was superb.

My choice would be a carbon variant for maximum effect with this model; go to the end of the concept.

The gold one was nice but as I said the price too high for such a simple timepiece. I fear you would get bored very fast of any OF variant.

A DD is much more pleasing IMO, with the advantage of having day and date… a simple time only watch for 40k is a dubious proposal when the same thing in a lesser material can be bought for 25% of the price.

IMO, Bvlgari could be great: they have the talent. Just slim the size of this watch, correct the bracelet so it tapers more and find a way to not need a freaking hammer and pin to resize, and you have a winner.

Finish wise, the gold model I tried (twice actually, went a few months ago for rings and tried it again) had tons of markings. Nothing serious but it’s a good watch so expect a certain softness to it and heartbreak if you don’t like scratches.
Old 13 April 2022, 05:30 AM   #8
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
I turned down the gold at the boutique after the SA told me the links are hollowed, not solid.
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 05:49 AM   #9
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12 View Post
I turned down the gold at the boutique after the SA told me the links are hollowed, not solid.
Wow, that's absurd, considering how thin the bracelet is to begin with and the price.

Did you verify that?
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 06:04 AM   #10
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Weight was very satisfying! It’s really the texture I enjoyed. It truly felt like a heavy clay on my wrist and the color was superb.

My choice would be a carbon variant for maximum effect with this model; go to the end of the concept.

The gold one was nice but as I said the price too high for such a simple timepiece. I fear you would get bored very fast of any OF variant.

A DD is much more pleasing IMO, with the advantage of having day and date… a simple time only watch for 40k is a dubious proposal when the same thing in a lesser material can be bought for 25% of the price.

IMO, Bvlgari could be great: they have the talent. Just slim the size of this watch, correct the bracelet so it tapers more and find a way to not need a freaking hammer and pin to resize, and you have a winner.

Finish wise, the gold model I tried (twice actually, went a few months ago for rings and tried it again) had tons of markings. Nothing serious but it’s a good watch so expect a certain softness to it and heartbreak if you don’t like scratches.
I disagree with your critique that they need to taper the bracelet more. I think the wide bracelet is unique to the Octo Finissimo and looks great once you get used to it. My Octo is my favorite watch that I own along with being the most comfortable. I do, however, agree that it would be great to more easily add/remove links. They are such short links that it would effectively be like a microadjust to be able to quickly add or remove a link.
rag5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 06:21 AM   #11
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Am I the only one that doesn't find the Bulgari watches attractive? I understand the horological aspect with the thin movements and all, but I can't get over the Bell & Ross vibes of their watches. Way too square and pancake-looking for me.

This is in no offense to current owners - we're all going to have different opinion, otherwise where is the fun - but it is such a darling and I just don't get it.
Old 13 April 2022, 05:12 PM   #12
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

Watch: me prevaricate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't find the Bulgari watches attractive? I understand the horological aspect with the thin movements and all, but I can't get over the Bell & Ross vibes of their watches. Way too square and pancake-looking for me.

This is in no offense to current owners - we're all going to have different opinion, otherwise where is the fun - but it is such a darling and I just don't get it.
I understand what you are saying BUT....if you haven't tried one on then try to get a chance. I have the Octo blue dial, it just sinks in to the wrist and is lovely to wear-really different I think to the photos. At the end of the day though, as you say, we will all have different favourites.
wigdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 05:33 PM   #13
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Quote:

I do find the Octo watches attractive but totally understand where you're coming from

Onto the original question, I personally don't like the sand blasted look of the gold Octo & personally if I wanted to get a full gold watch (with bracelet) I'd want to scratch that itch of it looking unmistakably gold. If I did get this watch I'd personally always want to get another gold watch to satisfy the requirements that this lacks. But that's just me
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 05:00 AM   #14
shafran
"TRF" Member

you could definitely daily it

I wear it more for dress though. having troubles with posting pics. My google pics dont show.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 06:19 AM   #15
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wear it more for dress though. having troubles with posting pics. My google pics dont show.
Use postimage website and link here using the forum function.
Old 14 April 2022, 10:55 AM   #16
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Download tapatalk on smart phone. Easiest route.

Old 14 April 2022, 11:01 AM   #17
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Tried on almost all versions of the finissimo and I am not interested in any of them as well. It's fine, there's a watch for everyone and every watch will find its admirer.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 06:37 AM   #18
Madmoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Duoface, Speed
Quote:

I second this. Tried it on at LV boutique. Absolutely awesome feel and equally absurd price. The original RG and S with the sandblasted look are totally unique and incredible. I would have pulled the trigger on the steel if not for the flat and uninspired dial.
Madmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2022, 03:39 AM   #19
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN

Just picked this up today. I’ve been eyeing them awhile and found this preowned one that between my trade and cash I had to pull the trigger.

Initial impressions are that it’s incredible. So thin and lightweight.

I like the design - it’s not another Rolex lol.

Old 24 April 2022, 04:45 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Fits your wrist great!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2022, 06:20 AM   #21
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post

Just picked this up today. I’ve been eyeing them awhile and found this preowned one that between my trade and cash I had to pull the trigger.

Initial impressions are that it’s incredible. So thin and lightweight.

I like the design - it’s not another Rolex lol.

Congratulations- look great !

Have to admit am eyeing these myself

Flying Clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 03:45 AM   #22
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Here’s my blue OF I recently picked up. Very unique and satisfying addition to the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B018B676-6ED2-4D3D-AEC0-5331E0A82E86.jpeg (90.8 KB, 170 views)
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 04:17 AM   #23
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
I absolutely love the OF in pictures and reviews, I think it's a super cool watch with presence.

However, I struck up a conversation in Burlingame (in a Starbucks of all places) with a gentleman who was wearing one recently. He let me try it on (He checked out my Longines heritage diver lol) and the thing was YUUUGGEEE on my wrist. I have 7.25ish wrists and I didn't feel like I could pull it off. Hell, maybe I just lack the confidence.

These pics of the watch on you guys look great though, I'd like to see more!!!
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 05:31 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote