The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 September 2022, 04:43 AM   #4321
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
De Vries to Alpha Tauri and Pierre Gasly to Alpine to pair with Ocon for 2023
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 06:31 AM   #4322
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

After other contract kerfuffles I hope DEV will sign as planned.

No mas GAS el dramatica (not Castilian but you get the idea)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 01:37 AM   #4323
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Yesterday it was announced that Herta will participate in some FP1 for the remainder of the year since his Indycar duties have concluded. That would have helped with superlicense points but today I read that Red Bull is not going to pursue Herta in the Alpha Tauri for 2023. Unknown if this affects his FP1 opportunities but the argument of Herta in an AT next year are not moot.

It's getting late in the season and the 2nd seat in the AT has not been filled and Gasly has 1 foot in and 1 foot out for Alpine (as of yesterday) but perhaps he's back in because Herta's not coming in. I've got to think TSU is in. TSO has done a good job at Alfa and Giovanazzi is going to be doing some FP1 sessions as well so perhaps he lands there? Mick Schumacher may be odd man out.
I say we let the rest of the world have F1 and their drama nonsense. We develop our own drivers here in North America and have them run IndyCar. We have so many drivers here from Europe and other parts of the world who had or would have had superlicense points required to go to F1 and didnt make it or made it and then left. Its not as if they are superior to what we have. So if thats the route they want to take and it doesnt work out, sorry. We have plenty of extremely talented American kids who would love to go to IndyCar over F1. Give them the seats.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 03:55 AM   #4324
77T

Who is “we” in the sense of we should develop single seater drivers here?

The ladder system in the US is missing some rungs. Like it or not, the rungs are well defined in EMEA.

Road to Indy series includes F2000, Indy Pro 2000 (old Star Mazda series), and Indy Lights.

The rungs for a kid to go from karts to F2000 in US are not as well-organized. FRP & PMH have some paths but it’s not integrated.

So IMHO, there is no “we”…

Unless the Captain chooses to launch the underpinnings from kart-to-Indy, I don’t see an organized ladder system here.

Old 21 September 2022, 04:38 AM   #4325
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Who is “we” in the sense of we should develop single seater drivers here?

The ladder system in the US is missing some rungs. Like it or not, the rungs are well defined in EMEA.

Road to Indy series includes F2000, Indy Pro 2000 (old Star Mazda series), and Indy Lights.

The rungs for a kid to go from karts to F2000 in US are not as well-organized. FRP & PMH have some paths but it’s not integrated.

So IMHO, there is no “we”…

Unless the Captain chooses to launch the underpinnings from kart-to-Indy, I don’t see an organized ladder system here.

Yes, people like Roger, Chip, etc. And just as an FYI, they are to some degree and Roger does own Indy Lights. But the others need to as well, those who can at least. If its a small team and they need budget to come with the driver, I get it and many teams fit in that bucket. In Europe, big teams get kart kids in their development programs and do give special kids opportunities to showcase themselves. We do not nearly as much. And we do not with names associated with those kids, ever, with the exception of the Wheldon boys and Andretti. Why is that? RedBull, Ferrari, Mercedes, etc all have driver development programs that even kids in karts are in over there and its publicly known. We are not doing that here but for a few kids and only some of us even know who those kids are.

FRP is not a feeder series. I didn't come from karts but now with a son racing nationally in karts, I may put him in F1600 for a year but that's it, then its USF or sportscars. We have a little time for him and I doubt FRP will be around by that time. Sad but true.

Lastly, we are putting kids in cars these days at 12-13, max. They just changed the age in Legends cars to 10, that's 125hp. So there isn't a much runway as there once was in terms of ladder. USF Juniors can be 13 turning 14, USF has to be 14 that year. In theory, you could have a 16 year old in Lights and 17 be in IndyCar. Herta, Verstappen, etc. Verstappen won KZ at like 14, which is nuts and clearly an exception but fact is the age has come down a lot. We need to be developing and investing in kids here in the US when they are in karts, we are way behind Europe in that regard and have some super talented kids here.
Old 22 September 2022, 03:01 AM   #4326
77T

The Official Formula One Thread!

Any docs in the house wanting to be a part of the circus?

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-launche...delegate-roles

And the final calendar for your pleasure…

Old 22 September 2022, 03:22 AM   #4327
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Any docs in the house wanting to be a part of the circus?

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-launche...delegate-roles

And the final calendar for your pleasure…

Glad to see Monaco on the sched...for 2023 and to 2025 .at this point in time.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 03:29 AM   #4328
77T

By the way, the job description is linked in the webpage I shared. It’s not for the Extrication Team who you see training on the Nissan FE car in the photo.

Old 22 September 2022, 03:32 AM   #4329
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
By the way, the job description is linked in the webpage I shared. It’s not for the Extrication Team who you see training on the Nissan FE car in the photo.

Didn't see that link, so I retract my comment...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 03:00 AM   #4330
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Tyre warmers being phased out and will no longer be allowed after next year. FIA is almost, but not quite however, as disingenuous as FIFA with the virtue signaling.

Instead of saying it will be better for the show, FIA claim tyre warmers are environmentally harmful and elimination will help the teams economically... You can't make this up... I don't think team's budgets are extended because of tyre warmers yet a 24 race schedule back and forth across the globe several times is good for the environment.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/13804...kW-EBjp2HM04V4
Old 23 September 2022, 03:21 AM   #4331
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Sdgt3, it's just a sports show seeking to be virtuous.

So, about those private planes and boats....

At least it's not NASCAR (just yet), but give it time and they'll oval 'race'.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 03:48 AM   #4332
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Tyre warmers being phased out and will no longer be allowed after next year. FIA is almost, but not quite however, as disingenuous as FIFA with the virtue signaling.

Instead of saying it will be better for the show, FIA claim tyre warmers are environmentally harmful and elimination will help the teams economically... You can't make this up... I don't think team's budgets are extended because of tyre warmers yet a 24 race schedule back and forth across the globe several times is good for the environment.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/13804...kW-EBjp2HM04V4
More ridiculousness. I am not sure how they can talk about their carbon footprint ever being "net zero" (I hate that phrase). As you noted, jetting all over the world on private planes, entourages of people and things, all for a race which is literally burning things up. Its about as hypocritical as politicians lobbying for green policies then hopping on their jet to meet with a tech company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Sdgt3, it's just a sports show seeking to be virtuous.

At least it's not NASCAR (just yet), but give it time and they'll oval 'race'.
I think NASCAR is at least heading in the right direction. More road courses, new drivers, rarely racing ends under caution with "overtime". It still has a ways to go but do think they are making good moves.
Old 23 September 2022, 03:55 AM   #4333
Mifune
Banned

Here in Las Vegas race is on a Saturday... I got my confirmation for priority ticket purchase.
get me your requests in advance.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 04:03 AM   #4334
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

I will give the FIA that, the boats at the Miami GP parking lot were fake and carbon free.

But as per the FIA "We race as one" while racing in SA and other places with sketchy human rights issues, but I digress. As mentioned, the FIA isn't nearly as bad as FIFA where the World Cup will be held in the historically powerful futbol center of the world Qatar Nov./Dec.

Apologies to the board for my hypocrisy meter is working overtime today.
Old 23 September 2022, 05:35 AM   #4335
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Already booked my hotel and tickets package for Montreal F1 2023! Sold out again.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 05:39 AM   #4336
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Where are you sitting Nick, Paddock Club?
Old 23 September 2022, 05:43 AM   #4337
77T

Tire warmers leaving the garages has benefits in sporting terms. Also, those costs can be driven into another budget to stay within cap.

The cars all start on tires that are only conditioned by the formation lap. Tires can be staged without the blankets. Race strategy for fastest lap will now take more than one warm-up. Might take 2 or 3 to get Softs into the zone.

All in all it’s a good thing, I think.

As for the other side of it, I don’t deal in the geopolitical since that sort of stuff can slide downhill into religious, race, and #%+*^ that got this thread locked once before.

Steve was quite clear we ought to stay with the motorsports vs. the other side.

Not a rant - just sayin’.

Old 23 September 2022, 06:32 AM   #4338
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Pirelli said they would change the compound to take the new regs into account. Some of us amateur racers are used to stacking wheels and tires outside of the garage in direct sunlight to get them as warm as possible before putting them on but this is Formula 1 - look for back of the garage areas with heat gun guys warming up those tires.

It will improve the show but my mind always goes back to Imola 1994 and that's my concern.
Old 23 September 2022, 07:35 AM   #4339
77T

But Imola was due to this…

Rather than tire warmers in the garage and grid.

Had they not used the Opel as a safety car, and used this instead…

Then the restart would have been safer.

Even today, SC periods of more than 2 laps will leave toasty tires lukewarm.

Old 24 September 2022, 12:16 AM   #4340
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Latifi officially out of Williams after this year. This leaves a pretty competitive midfield seat to pair with Albon as the Williams has more potential in it than has been realized this year. Schumacher, Ricciardo and perhaps Sargent are possibilities.
Old 24 September 2022, 12:35 AM   #4341
77T

I like Logan but…Herta fans would carp.

SAR has done what is expected/acceptable process to get an F1 seat and hope he gets a shot.

Old 1 October 2022, 01:22 AM   #4342
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id...get-cap-report

Of course RB breached the cap. Doesn't make sense how they were able to keep developing last year's car, develop a world beating 2022 car, and then redevelop it for a lighter chassis even with Adrian Newey at the helm for the 2022 car
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 06:35 AM   #4343
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id...get-cap-report

Of course RB breached the cap. Doesn't make sense how they were able to keep developing last year's car, develop a world beating 2022 car, and then redevelop it for a lighter chassis even with Adrian Newey at the helm for the 2022 car
The source is the Gazzetta quickly embraced by the only slightly biased British connection
Let’s wait for the official outcome before jumping into conclusion
Old 1 October 2022, 02:58 PM   #4344
Lol-x
Facilitator

Rules need to be followed.

Consequences should be enforced against a team gaining any illegal advantage.

To think the issue of the 2021 championship is now in question is a shock and needs to be resolved immediately.

It may also have a flow on affect or consequence for the current season standings.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 06:49 PM   #4345
77T

As @joli166 said, we must await the financial auditing report rather than the leaked info. It is concerning to me that a leak may have occurred. It brings the whole F1 cost cap fidelity into question.

In other words, if you have someone leaking to the press, to whom else has this person leaked confidential info?

Cost cap a new aspect for F1 and has already had a lot of questions - for those who wish to see the actual rules and sanctions, go to page 26 if this pdf: https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...2021-10-15.pdf

IMHO, when rules are so difficult to enforce that it takes 10 months to review, the sport suffers.

Agree with Steve that this is severe if true. I’m afraid I may seem draconian, but the sanction range does allow forfeiture of all prizes and awards as well as loss of future financial spend rate. And…

This could be a precedent since it’s a new rule and this alleged breach would be the first one. I expect it could go all the way to the ICA if Horner gets slapped with a personal fine or exclusion from the sport for X years.

Old 2 October 2022, 12:12 AM   #4346
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Lol, RB and Max. If it was for fuel, how do they not have that calculated out and predetermined?

Last edited by texasmade; 2 October 2022 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Update
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 09:22 AM   #4347
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Lol, RB and Max. If it was for fuel, how do they not have that calculated out and predetermined?
Could either be he was burning fuel faster than anticipated as they had not run with slicks in Q1 and Q2 and was on the way to P1 or they had an issue with the fueling rig as they obviously fueled Perez with enough fuel.
Old 2 October 2022, 08:08 PM   #4348
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
RB made more mistakes in these laps than this year in total.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 01:22 AM   #4349
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Stinking Disney…. Wanted to watch this but the stupid ESPN blackout for the weekend (or however long it is)
Old 3 October 2022, 02:49 AM   #4350
Mifune
Banned

Bravo Sergio... Viva Guadalajara.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote