The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 September 2020, 04:21 AM   #1
rolex16
Banned

Thin steel sports watches

All, I am on the hunt for a classy thin steel sports watch, something like the AP 15202 but more modern (quick set date, fast beat movement, etc.). What are my options these days without spending Nautilus $? The VC overseas seems a little thick at 11mm and I’m not totally sold on the aesthetic. The 15500 also seems a little chunky and heavy and prices are crazy. I see a few other options like the GP Laureato, Piaget Polo S, and Chopard Alpine Eagle, etc. but wouldn’t want to lose my shirt if I don’t like and have to sell later. Is there anything I’m missing or should be looking at? Any recommendations? I already have a couple of 5 digit rolexes and like the feel of those, had the 6 digit ones and sold. So looking for light and comfortable.
rolex16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 04:27 AM   #2
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex16 View Post
All, I am on the hunt for a classy thin steel sports watch, something like the AP 15202 but more modern (quick set date, fast beat movement, etc.). What are my options these days without spending Nautilus $? The VC overseas seems a little thick at 11mm and I’m not totally sold on the aesthetic. The 15500 also seems a little chunky and heavy and prices are crazy. I see a few other options like the GP Laureato, Piaget Polo S, and Chopard Alpine Eagle, etc. but wouldn’t want to lose my shirt if I don’t like and have to sell later. Is there anything I’m missing or should be looking at? Any recommendations? I already have a couple of 5 digit rolexes and like the feel of those, had the 6 digit ones and sold. So looking for light and comfortable.
Yatchmaster 1?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 05:13 AM   #3
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Huge fan of the Journe Line LineSport, though the most recent models are bordering on the extreme size-wise. There was also the white gold VC overseas ultra thin, though that beauty came and went too quick. The Lange Odysseus doesn’t look bloated on the wrist, but good luck getting one.

I’ve been looking for the same for a while. I ended up plumping for a Czapek Antarctique, though I have not yet seen it in the flesh. The headline thickness (10mm) is not crazy thin, but the detailing seems to keep it looking thinner than it is.

mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 05:19 AM   #4
broham84
"TRF" Member

I personally think the Octo Finissimo is a fantastic watch that will become a collectible years from now. It’s case design and movement finishing is superb. Distinctive design language from Genta won’t be mistaken for anything else on the market.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 05:22 AM   #5
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broham84 View Post
I personally think the Octo Finissimo is a fantastic watch that will become a collectible years from now. It’s case design and movement finishing is superb. Distinctive design language from Genta won’t be mistaken for anything else on the market.
Oh forgot about the OF. Epic watch and very clearly iconic, but you either love it or hate it on the wrist. Personally, it didn’t suit me.
Old 14 September 2020, 05:36 AM   #6
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
This article outlines quite a few potential choices: https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...ted-bracelets/
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 05:38 AM   #7
rolex16
Banned

Some good suggestions. I am on the fence about the OF design and I’d really like a date feature. I have never heard of Czapek before. That watch looks intriguing but I need to research the brand a bit more. It is pricey and my guess is that it may not hold value, but I don’t know enough about the brand. Not a fan of the Journe spots line and the Yachtmaster is 11.5 mm so not quite what I am looking for. It’s tough to find a nice looking sports watch below 12 or so mm these days it seems. Omega makes some nice pieces, but they are all thick.

Last edited by rolex16; 14 September 2020 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Old 14 September 2020, 05:43 AM   #8
rolex16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
This article outlines quite a few potential choices: https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...ted-bracelets/
Great article, thanks!
Old 14 September 2020, 06:20 AM   #9
Bloomberg
"TRF" Member

I recommend the OF in sandblasted steel
Bloomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 06:32 AM   #10
JRDallasRolex
"TRF" Member

good for suit wear
JRDallasRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 07:01 AM   #11
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I’m awaiting a moser streamliner center seconds...but no date and who knows on resale
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 12:18 PM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
How about the Aquanaut? It is slightly cheaper than the Nautilus, and is slim, has a quick set date, and can wear on bracelet or rubber. It is super light and comfortable.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 12:25 PM   #13
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Huge fan of the Journe Line LineSport, though the most recent models are bordering on the extreme size-wise. There was also the white gold VC overseas ultra thin, though that beauty came and went too quick. The Lange Odysseus doesn’t look bloated on the wrist, but good luck getting one.

I’ve been looking for the same for a while. I ended up plumping for a Czapek Antarctique, though I have not yet seen it in the flesh. The headline thickness (10mm) is not crazy thin, but the detailing seems to keep it looking thinner than it is.

Do you have a delivery date for the Czapek? Looks great- I look forward to pics of yours.
AG23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 08:10 PM   #14
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex16 View Post
Some good suggestions. I am on the fence about the OF design and I’d really like a date feature. I have never heard of Czapek before. That watch looks intriguing but I need to research the brand a bit more. It is pricey and my guess is that it may not hold value, but I don’t know enough about the brand. Not a fan of the Journe spots line and the Yachtmaster is 11.5 mm so not quite what I am looking for. It’s tough to find a nice looking sports watch below 12 or so mm these days it seems. Omega makes some nice pieces, but they are all thick.
Before Philippe, Czapek was the partner of Patek. Both of Polish ancestry. :)

That said, my vote if for the Bulgari Octo. It prides itself on being the thinnest. And it is also said to be a Genta design like your peg, the 15202.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 12:45 AM   #15
b0rderman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I ended up plumping for a Czapek Antarctique
Wow...nice choice. I know the brand, but in all my mindless instagram and youtube watch gazing, I have never seen this model.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 03:42 AM   #16
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Oh man why am I just starting to pay attention to this brand now

They have absolutely nailed it with the Antartique collection. This is one of the few steel sports lux watches I'd take over an AP RO. Thin but not too thin, excellent bracelet and case integration, swappable bracelet and straps, multiple dial colors to choose from, date at 6:00, water resistance to 12atm, and a movement to die for. I'd better get on a list, one of these would make the perfect sporty compliment to my FPJ CS.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 03:48 AM   #17
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
How about the Breguet Marine which is quite thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ansharma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 04:16 AM   #18
JPMickB83
"TRF" Member

IWC 3239 Ingenieur - 40mm x 10mm with date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JPMickB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 04:48 AM   #19
hoppes-no9
"TRF" Member

IWC 3239 and GP Laureato get my vote. Both are about 10mm thick and beautiful to look at.

hoppes-no9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 06:40 AM   #20
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post
Do you have a delivery date for the Czapek? Looks great- I look forward to pics of yours.
I’ve been quite bowled over by their friendliness and forthrightness. No firm date, but in the next few months expected as they’re being put together now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Oh man why am I just starting to pay attention to this brand now

They have absolutely nailed it with the Antartique collection. This is one of the few steel sports lux watches I'd take over an AP RO. Thin but not too thin, excellent bracelet and case integration, swappable bracelet and straps, multiple dial colors to choose from, date at 6:00, water resistance to 12atm, and a movement to die for. I'd better get on a list, one of these would make the perfect sporty compliment to my FPJ CS.
I feel like they nailed it too. Not gonna lie - it’s been nerve-wracking ordering something from such a new company, but the early impressions from photos and online were so good, and the design seems so right (I feel it’s the heir apparent to the VC 222)... In reaching out the CEO answered all my questions so candidly and openly that I decided to take the leap after less than stellar recent experiences with other brands.

I gather that all the initial run of 99 are sold out, but they are planning a follow-up with a more textured dial (and applied logo and 12) in the new year...
Old 15 September 2020, 07:22 AM   #21
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970

My vote is for the Alpine eagle and I’ve owned pretty much every modern Steel Nautilus and Royal Oak. It’s gorgeous and the 50% harder steel and brightness combined with the gorgeous dial is really worth taking a serious look at. Here’s it side by side with my other sports watches.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 08:03 AM   #22
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

I like the Alpine Eagle too — but their consistent problems in maintaining screw head alignment on the bezel drives me nuts.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 08:28 AM   #23
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Nice Chopard!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 09:43 AM   #24
rolex16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
How about the Aquanaut? It is slightly cheaper than the Nautilus, and is slim, has a quick set date, and can wear on bracelet or rubber. It is super light and comfortable.
Super nice but still up there price wise. If it were 2016 again and I could get one for $18k like in those days, I would.
Old 15 September 2020, 09:45 AM   #25
rolex16
Banned

Loving the options and pics, lots to think about. And some watches to read up on!
Old 15 September 2020, 02:10 PM   #26
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

All fine watches and excellent craftsmanship.
I would go with the Czapek or OctobF or GP
The mvt in Czapek is mesmerizing :)
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 02:12 PM   #27
Edwardk1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 36mm datejust
The explorer 2 would be my go-to. You wont find one in store unless you do a lot of digging, but grey market prices arent too bad.
Edwardk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 04:13 PM   #28
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

New owner of a Laureato 42 black dial and really loving it so far.

Mutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 06:20 PM   #29
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
All fine watches and excellent craftsmanship.
I would go with the Czapek or OctobF or GP
The mvt in Czapek is mesmerizing :)
We kinda have to post a pic of the movement, right?

Old 15 September 2020, 10:09 PM   #30
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:

Spectacular
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote