The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 21 August 2022, 03:04 PM   #1
tvf12
"TRF" Member

Tudor black bay GMT date change issue is back.... seeking advice

Good evening all. I'm looking for a bit of advice and guidance. I have a early release Tudor black bay GMT which I love, but the notorious date change issue has infected it for the second time in it's short life. The watch was serviced under warranty in late 2019, and now it's out of warranty to my understanding, even with Tudors extension of the warranty to three years since it was purchased in July 2018 and serviced last in October 2019. Basically I'm trying to figure out if I go to the local dealer and pay for repairs, will it actually be resolved, or is this something that might reappear in another couple of years. I've searched the web and gotten mixed information. As best I can tell some say the issue is resolved after one repair, others the issue keeps recurring and Tudor hasn't really resolved it. Some claim the movement is non repairable and Tudor just swaps a new movement in (I have difficulty believing this) . I'm truly conflicted about which way to go and would really like to get some better information before I drop it off for repairs. Ideally I'd like to repair it and continue to enjoy as it's meant to be, but if the underlying issue is not resolved I question if it's worth keeping after service vs selling it and moving on. Any advice from the wonderful members here is appreciated.
tvf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 07:13 PM   #2
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
If it was me. sell the lemon .
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 07:49 PM   #3
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I had the same problem with my Tudor GMT. After sending it to Rolex three times for repairs, the issue came back again each time. Glad I got rid of that turkey. After being in business for 117 years, Rolex still can't even get a date wheel right.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 08:37 PM   #4
fmc000
Banned

Threads like this make me happy I dodget the bullet when the watch was easily discounted 30% at my town's AD.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 09:21 PM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Take it RSC directly or thru an AD. They will take care of it without cost regardless of the warranty. Mine was recently repaired a year out of warranty.

Too many have been bitten by this issue but there are far fewer since the release of the 2 additional GMT releases, BB Pro & S&G GMT. One would think the reason is a viable fix has finally been implemented. It's worth the risk for me.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 04:16 AM   #6
tvf12
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your input! I'll take it to my AD when a get some free time and go from there. It's very encouraging for me to hear that some have had it repaired outside of warranty for free still. I'm still debating it's long-term place in my collection.
Old 27 September 2022, 09:47 AM   #7
tvf12
"TRF" Member

As a follow-up, I brought the watch in to my local dealer who shipped it Tudor in late August. Fast forward about 3 weeks till today and I received word from my dealer that it's going to be repaired under extended warranty even though the warranty has technically passed (both the original warranty on the watch as well as the warranty from the previous repair). The estimated completion date is not till December. I am very happy with the customer service all around, however, I still have lingering concerns about the longevity. Thank you again to all for your input and advice
Old 27 September 2022, 01:20 PM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvf12 View Post
As a follow-up, I brought the watch in to my local dealer who shipped it Tudor in late August. Fast forward about 3 weeks till today and I received word from my dealer that it's going to be repaired under extended warranty even though the warranty has technically passed (both the original warranty on the watch as well as the warranty from the previous repair). The estimated completion date is not till December. I am very happy with the customer service all around, however, I still have lingering concerns about the longevity. Thank you again to all for your input and advice
Appreciate the update and good to know this will be covered. Mine has been running a consistent +3 sec per since it's return. I've been too busy enjoying mine to worry about it and you'll be enjoying yours soon as well.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 29 October 2022, 05:09 PM   #9
tvf12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Appreciate the update and good to know this will be covered. Mine has been running a consistent +3 sec per since it's return. I've been too busy enjoying mine to worry about it and you'll be enjoying yours soon as well.
dP
As a hopefully permanent close to this saga, I actually got it back eariler then estimated and after a week it's working great. fingers crossed. Thank you to all who offered their input. I'm still on the fence as I very much like it, but slightly fearful of the issue returning. For now I shall enjoy it.
thank you all!
Old 29 October 2022, 10:54 PM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As a hopefully permanent close to this saga, I actually got it back eariler then estimated and after a week it's working great. fingers crossed. Thank you to all who offered their input. I'm still on the fence as I very much like it, but slightly fearful of the issue returning. For now I shall enjoy it.
thank you all!
Great to hear it was returned earlier than expected. The number of threads dedicated to this issue have plummeted of late and I feel confident it's in our past.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 29 October 2022, 11:53 PM   #11
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am glad Tudor is repairing it under warranty. I would have been surprised if they had not. I got one of the first releases and had no issues. Bought a Rolex Pepsi and thought it was redundant, so I sold it. Got a second one and had the date issue. My AD took it back on the spot and gave me my third one and it has been flawless. Setting aside the date issues I really like the watch. It has a retro feel and I wear it on all types of straps and bracelets. Even if mine broke now I would just send it in and get it back. Why not get it back, wear it and enjoy it. If it breaks again, so be it, off to a repair and I am sure Tudor will fix it again at no cost. Good luck and let us know how it plays out when you get the watch back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191013_104224 (002).jpg (235.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20200401_135920 (002).jpg (229.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20200401_120415 (002).jpg (216.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20210201_141639 (002).jpg (141.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20220301_132705 (002).jpg (142.8 KB, 51 views)
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2022, 10:05 AM   #12
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some claim the movement is non repairable and Tudor just swaps a new movement in (I have difficulty believing this) .
Tudor does swap movements, that‘s their repair protocol in general, not just for date wheel problems.

To date, there is no documented fix to this problem (pun intended). So you could roll the dice and send it back for service, sell the lemon, or live with the problem.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote