The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 September 2022, 08:35 PM   #61
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Same here.

I’ve had the PP journey laid out to me and with time lines too. But I’m not buying 2 watches that I have zero interest in owning (and at a cost of c. £55k) just to be considered to wait 5-10 years for the 3/4 new PP I would like to own.

Sorry, that’s not a game that I’ve played in 30+ years of buying nice watches and I’m pleased to say not something that AP House here in the Uk play either.

Life is too short to play such games and if that means I’m not buying any new PP then, you know what, I’ll live and I’m sure the AD, Boutiques and PP will too. For me AP are vastly superior watches in terms of engineering, style, finish and heritage too
What PP would you like to own out of curiosity?
Ap house are very much similar tho, a code would be well recognised but why buy something to get something else.
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 03:48 AM   #62
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
What PP would you like to own out of curiosity?
Ap house are very much similar tho, a code would be well recognised but why buy something to get something else.
Ideal world, something like the following from PP;

5212A
5905/1A
5226G-001
5167R-001
5726/1A-014
5712R-001

And, I’m sorry, but I completely disagree with your comments on AP House and know many people who would agree with me that also deal with the team there. The whole “buy a Code to get something else” is an out of date urban myth now.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 04:05 AM   #63
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts278 View Post
Not trying to cause any anger or arguments. This info is just something I’ve heard and confirmed with my boutique. I wasn’t being too specific on the geographies but for example Asia is a big place, I’m sure AP knows which markets are flipping the 50th pieces and which ones are not based on their online registry. I can say that HK is one of those places which really has fewer flippers and has been receiving more 50th allocations. I’m sure the US is one of the biggest markets for AP so I’m not sure why you think that there are barely any allocations there, but I’d be happy to learn more from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Well, one would think that AP has a better sense of who's flipping their allocations than most TRF posters (given that the watches are registered to the original buyer).
Of course. Perhaps though as people have insinuated from the past....they know and just don't care. I wonder which area (US or Asia) has more collectors more closely connected to the brand. I doubt many new collectors are getting 50th watches as their first pieces. I'm sure many of them if they have are not stupid enough to sell it because most likely they will get caught and blacklisted.

Given the fact there are so many for sale on the grey market, either no one cares or it's big whale collectors who know nothing will happen to them if they do it.

Quote:
I want a new CE diver or CE offshore chrono as much as the next guy, but in the last four years AP has launched the CODE, updated the diver, introduced the 43mm ROOs and updated the entire RO lineup, while managing the RO 50th and that pandemic thing. So it's not like they've been sitting on their hands, and I have high hopes that more will come next year for the 30th anniversary of the ROO.
They aren't...but it's not much new. Changing dial colors and stuff is whatever. But changing materials and offering that across the lines is another. Also just in the past like I said they had more diversity. So many different offshores, so many different concepts. Just more diversity beyond dial color changes.

I like what they are doing with the frosted and ceramic finishes with the RO. Also those tourbillons that are going around instagram with that hammered dial is nice as well.

We need some new stuff. Not more of the same.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 04:31 AM   #64
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post

We need some new stuff. Not more of the same.
The thing about AP is that they move at the speed of a glacier, so maybe they'll read your comments and take note, but nothing will show up for years.

Earlier in the year FHB told me 'we are beyond full for the next three years'.

Given that this year is the RO 50th, next year is the ROO 30th (and the next Marvel release) and then 2025 is AP's 150th anniversary, I imagine that their entire lineup is set.

To be honest I'm very disappointed in AP this year. Other than the RD#3 ultra thin movement there hasn't been anything extra special this year (yet?). I know we've had the 16204 open works and a couple of other tourb models but where's the WOW? The blue ceramic QP doesn't count, that's a left over from last year that they delayed releasing.

I'm truly hoping that they have a major release still to come. A new QP movement is a firm rumour and what about BMG? There's still time, but not much, else this year has been a lot of noise with little substance.

I'm really hoping that the Music edition ROOs indicate some proper 'love' for the ROO range next year.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 07:20 AM   #65
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyjo View Post
This. Hence I don’t have a PP and don’t bother w them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same boat here.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 10:59 PM   #66
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ideal world, something like the following from PP;

5212A
5905/1A
5226G-001
5167R-001
5726/1A-014
5712R-001

And, I’m sorry, but I completely disagree with your comments on AP House and know many people who would agree with me that also deal with the team there. The whole “buy a Code to get something else” is an out of date urban myth now.
I read PP wanted you to buy 2 watches before you get something you wanted? What did they want you to get?

5226G Is a million percent possible as a first watch.... Unless you wanted a nautilus/aquanaut/5212/5905 as a first watch this is very unlikely in todays climate
Old 21 September 2022, 01:06 AM   #67
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I read PP wanted you to buy 2 watches before you get something you wanted? What did they want you to get?

5226G Is a million percent possible as a first watch.... Unless you wanted a nautilus/aquanaut/5212/5905 as a first watch this is very unlikely in todays climate

The watches "suggested" that I buy to start the PP journey were;

5227 or 5524 and/or a ladies Twenty Four.

The new for '22 5226G was quoted as an "18 year" wait by one AD Group and "10-12 years" from another smaller AD Group. Don't doubt both would come down in wait time in reality but I'm not waiting for years and years for that PP or buying stuff I don't want in the first place.
Old 21 September 2022, 02:59 AM   #68
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The watches "suggested" that I buy to start the PP journey were;

5227 or 5524 and/or a ladies Twenty Four.

The new for '22 5226G was quoted as an "18 year" wait by one AD Group and "10-12 years" from another smaller AD Group. Don't doubt both would come down in wait time in reality but I'm not waiting for years and years for that PP or buying stuff I don't want in the first place.
Would you wait years and years for a nautilus?
You've probably been spoilt at AP and probably not realistic as to the demand of PP
Old 21 September 2022, 03:16 AM   #69
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would you wait years and years for a nautilus?
You've probably been spoilt at AP and probably not realistic as to the demand of PP
Yes, I’d be prepared to wait for as long as an Aquanaut or Nautilus took to arrive after buying other PP first.

And actually I’m very realistic in my approach to collecting/buying leading watch brands but as I’ve already said I refuse to buy X (that I don’t want) to get Y (that I do want) and AP don’t play those games.
Old 21 September 2022, 03:23 AM   #70
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
To be honest I'm very disappointed in AP this year. Other than the RD#3 ultra thin movement there hasn't been anything extra special this year (yet?). I know we've had the 16204 open works and a couple of other tourb models but where's the WOW? The blue ceramic QP doesn't count, that's a left over from last year that they delayed releasing.

I'm truly hoping that they have a major release still to come. A new QP movement is a firm rumour and what about BMG? There's still time, but not much, else this year has been a lot of noise with little substance.

I'm really hoping that the Music edition ROOs indicate some proper 'love' for the ROO range next year.
I'm glad to see that an AP powerhouse collector is honest about his feelings on the forum. Too many times people with strong relationship with AP have sugarcoated their words to avoid antagonising the brand, particularly as AP is known to have observers on the forum.

Tbh, I think this year's releases were decent. The ROC in SS are a good enough reason for me to say it was an OK year for AP, particularly the green dial. 16202 is way to overhype but it sorted out its biggest issue which is the quickset date.
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 04:01 AM   #71
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I'm glad to see that an AP powerhouse collector is honest about his feelings on the forum. Too many times people with strong relationship with AP have sugarcoated their words to avoid antagonising the brand, particularly as AP is known to have observers on the forum.

Tbh, I think this year's releases were decent. The ROC in SS are a good enough reason for me to say it was an OK year for AP, particularly the green dial. 16202 is way to overhype but it sorted out its biggest issue which is the quickset date.
You afford me too much 'status' and AP really doesn't care much about me, but thank you anyway.

Whilst AP is aware of what goes on here, I doubt they monitor it with any serious intent and they'd certainly be very petty to hold anything against anyone for expressing an opinion. Directly insulting FHB might invoke his wrath though :)

As to my original point, I'm certainly not being critical of this year's actual releases, I really like the new bracelet design, but I'm just very underwhelmed at the releases en masse. To me it's no different to last year, or the year before, etc. I was hoping for a cake with a LOT of icing. Alas that appears not to be.
Old 21 September 2022, 04:09 AM   #72
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
You afford me too much 'status', but thank you anyway.

Whilst AP is aware of what goes on here, I doubt they monitor it with any serious intent and they'd certainly be very petty to hold anything against anyone for expressing an opinion. Directly insulting FHB might invoke his wrath though :)

As to my original point, I'm certainly not being critical of this year's actual releases, I really like the new bracelet design, but I'm just very underwhelmed at the releases en masse. To me it's no different to last year, or the year before, etc. I was hoping for a cake with a LOT of icing. Alas that appears not to be.
I think it’s only human to feel that way. Not every release is for everyone, but at least you are honest enough to acknowledge that you are not feeling it. That allows for more genuine and authentic discussions on the forum rather than just singing praises for the brand. These kind of feedback would let AP know that even their strong collectors are slightly underwhelmed and maybe they will work harder for greater releases in the future. That’s all we want to see right?
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 04:15 AM   #73
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I think it’s only human to feel that way. Not every release is for everyone, but at least you are honest enough to acknowledge that you are not feeling it. That allows for more genuine and authentic discussions on the forum rather than just singing praises for the brand. These kind of feedback would let AP know that even their strong collectors are slightly underwhelmed and maybe they will work harder for greater releases in the future. That’s all we want to see right?
I said this in a different thread a day or so ago, but AP moves very slowly. I was told directly by FHB that they are beyond full for the next three years, so any feedback from anyone would take several years to manifest into anything tangible, which of course is to be expected, but yes indeed you right that's what we want/hope to see.
Old 21 September 2022, 10:19 AM   #74
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Is it though? In 2020, AP's distribution was 40% Asia, 33% Europe, 16% Americas, 11% Middle East.
That data is fascinating. Can you enlighten us how you got that breakout? My understanding was that AP doesn't publicly disclose actual production numbers or regional distribution. thank you
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 10:32 AM   #75
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

I find it hard to believe that US is not #1 or even #2 market for AP. It certainly is the largest watch collecting market in the world.
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 10:43 AM   #76
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrownprince View Post
I find it hard to believe that US is not #1 or even #2 market for AP. It certainly is the largest watch collecting market in the world.
I think surface export numbers would suggest luxury sales wise US is #1...but when made in such small quantities, Japan/HK/Singapore are powerhouses for luxury watch spending. Just look at how many Asia/Japan specific LE's there have been.

And of course there's that little tiny island across the big country that VogelPheonix is from....
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 11:07 AM   #77
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have managed to meet with an AP SE a few months ago at MBS (I'm based in Singapore) after a short wait. During the introduction, he suggested that I buy a Code or ROO to start my AP journey. As both are too big for my wrist, I did not express any interest in the Code/ROO pieces as I don't intend to flip, and the SE informed me it is unlikely I will be allocated any smaller RO or 38mm ROC.

No hard feelings and I still love the brand very much. Would certainly hope to build a relationship with them in the near future. Here's wishing AP releases a smaller Code soon.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 11:35 AM   #78
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I have managed to meet with an AP SE a few months ago at MBS (I'm based in Singapore) after a short wait. During the introduction, he suggested that I buy a Code or ROO to start my AP journey. As both are too big for my wrist, I did not express any interest in the Code/ROO pieces as I don't intend to flip, and the SE informed me it is unlikely I will be allocated any smaller RO or 38mm ROC.

No hard feelings and I still love the brand very much. Would certainly hope to build a relationship with them in the near future. Here's wishing AP releases a smaller Code soon.
Smaller CODE would be one option - a 37mm ROO with a more run-of-the-mill dial than the music edition would be really low hanging fruit to pick for AP, offering another path for those with a taste or need for smaller watches.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 01:30 PM   #79
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Obviously....the answer is none of them, but which Jumbo model is the easiest to get allocated? The SS I would think is the most popular, but the number of gold pieces has to be REALLY low...right?
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 10:15 PM   #80
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
That data is fascinating. Can you enlighten us how you got that breakout? My understanding was that AP doesn't publicly disclose actual production numbers or regional distribution. thank you
This was from interview with AP SE Asia CEO Stefanie Ng: "Our commercial strategy benefits from a very healthy and well-balanced repartition. In 2020 Asia accounted for approximately 40 per cent, Europe 33 per cent, Americas 16 per cent and Middle East 11 per cent."

I actually think AP is quite open about various aspects of their business, e.g., production numbers for various models, geographic distribution and their overall strategy.
Old 21 September 2022, 10:25 PM   #81
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Obviously....the answer is none of them, but which Jumbo model is the easiest to get allocated? The SS I would think is the most popular, but the number of gold pieces has to be REALLY low...right?
My WAG would be 2/3 steel, 1/3 PM (matches the mix of 15202 listings on C24). That would make it a couple to a few PM Jumbos in each metal per year per boutique, which matches what I recall from our boutique (i.e., 2 16202BA this year, none for me ).
Old 22 September 2022, 03:48 AM   #82
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My WAG would be 2/3 steel, 1/3 PM (matches the mix of 15202 listings on C24). That would make it a couple to a few PM Jumbos in each metal per year per boutique, which matches what I recall from our boutique (i.e., 2 16202BA this year, none for me ).

What 50th did you ask for?

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 10:50 AM   #83
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
What 50th did you ask for?
What I want most is a 16202BA, but that was not happening this year. I'm still hoping for a 26240CE, although that may be a challenge as well. "Fallback" is a 15510ST green dial, which looked possible. Either would be a very pleasant way to close out the year.
Old 22 September 2022, 11:52 AM   #84
aldyrifqi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

I think this year to get RO is pretty pretty hard because of the 50th anniv but I'm sure 38 ROC is not that hard since it's not open back.
Luckily I went to AP end of the year ago so I'm not that hard to get a piece of what i want.

i also told them that my first interest is to get RO first. some SA push me so hard to get code first other SA so politely told me to wait.

But since I'm stepping up the game to get complication RO i just bought offshore and will buy code later next year
aldyrifqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 12:51 PM   #85
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I want most is a 16202BA, but that was not happening this year. I'm still hoping for a 26240CE, although that may be a challenge as well. "Fallback" is a 15510ST green dial, which looked possible. Either would be a very pleasant way to close out the year.

26240CE is amazing but I’m not banking on that. Deliveries are so tight for that piece. Definitely a very very difficult piece.

The 15510 ST is nice but I decided for the ROC (also green dial). 16202BA is a dream but I doubt they’ll let me have it as a 50th since I already picked up the ROC green 50th.
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 09:27 PM   #86
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Quote:
This. Hence I don’t have a PP and don’t bother w them anymore.

Got the call for my first Patek incoming tomorrow. 7 months after first contact with the SA but I had full confidence they would deliver within a reasonable timeframe.

Oh and AP called as well to say they have a "surprise" for me tomorrow. Any guesses?
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 09:39 PM   #87
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
Got the call for my first Patek incoming tomorrow. 7 months after first contact with the SA but I had full confidence they would deliver within a reasonable timeframe.

Oh and AP called as well to say they have a "surprise" for me tomorrow. Any guesses?

Wow. PP = calatrava?

AP - 26240 green I hope!

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 09:50 PM   #88
APWhale
Banned

Quote:
Wow. PP = calatrava?

AP - 26240 green I hope!

The PP is green

The AP I'm just hoping is a watch. His literal words were "a present", but that may have been lost in translation.
Old 23 September 2022, 10:15 PM   #89
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
The PP is green

The AP I'm just hoping is a watch. His literal words were "a present", but that may have been lost in translation.

5905 1a??? Brilliant.

My AD basically told me to go grey….

Keep me posted is posted!!!

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 10:33 PM   #90
APWhale
Banned

Quote:
5905 1a??? Brilliant.

My AD basically told me to go grey….

Keep me posted is posted!!!

Bingo

Just thankful I don't have to deal with an AD for Patek, seems downright impossible. The Salon on the other hand has been wonderful to deal with. They first delivered a green Twenty-4 to us within a few weeks, and said that the 5905/1A would take understandably longer. But it is so much easier to be patient when the SA is transparent.