The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30 September 2022, 06:39 AM   #1
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
* Electric cars & evacuation * - Editorial

Editorial:

...."It is fortunate that as of the current moment, electric vehicles constitute only about 100,000, out of nearly 8 million vehicles registered to drive on Florida’s roads. Depending on how heavily loaded they were, even assuming everyone had a full battery charge, cars from southern Florida would start running out of juice after 100 – 250 miles. They would then have to spend hours at recharging stations,"..........

https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=https:/...f_florida.html
Old 30 September 2022, 06:54 AM   #2
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
EV's are in Beta stage - pre-model T in ICE terms. Meanwhile we're in peak Hybrid stage - excellent thermal efficiency, mileage and range. Car companies will probably no longer develop hybrids beyond this point and shift all their efforts towards EVs.
Old 30 September 2022, 06:56 AM   #3
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I remember the debacle of the Houston evacuation a few years ago when I-10 and I-45 became parking lots because people ran out of gas in the traffic lanes.

My brother could not even find gas to allow him to evacuate. They stayed and got lucky.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 30 September 2022, 07:12 AM   #4
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I don't have statistics, but I can speak from my own ownership; I charge at home exclusively, so my car is basically charged all of the time. Sometimes my ICE cars are fueled up, sometimes they're not. You might argue that, in an emergency, a fully charged EV is better than a partially fueled ICE.
Old 30 September 2022, 07:54 AM   #5
BBL
"TRF" Member

Blansky:
I posted this editorial for information and view point, that's all. The direction you are taking it, was not my intent at all.

Mods: Please lock this thread.

Thank you,
DM
Old 30 September 2022, 08:15 AM   #6
BBL
"TRF" Member

Blansky:
S T O P

Mods, please lock this thread.
Old 30 September 2022, 08:15 AM   #7
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I don't have statistics, but I can speak from my own ownership; I charge at home exclusively, so my car is basically charged all of the time. Sometimes my ICE cars are fueled up, sometimes they're not. You might argue that, in an emergency, a fully charged EV is better than a partially fueled ICE.
Not exactly, said ICE vehicle could refuel quicker and would have the potential for more options to acquire fuel.
I looked hard at EVs but the infrastructure and technology just isn't there yet.
Old 30 September 2022, 08:29 AM   #8
Mifune
Banned

What happens on a frozen highway in winter time...
Old 30 September 2022, 08:43 AM   #9
austinp
"TRF" Member

That’s kind of the definition of “Editorial.” It’s an opinion. Opinions are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2022, 10:29 AM   #10
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
EV's are in Beta stage - pre-model T in ICE terms. Meanwhile we're in peak Hybrid stage - excellent thermal efficiency, mileage and range. Car companies will probably no longer develop hybrids beyond this point and shift all their efforts towards EVs.
Not a fair comparison. ICE vehicles were developed through a natural technological progression. It was ground up. They were adopted because they were better than horses.

Electric vehicles are being forced on an only partially recptive population. Those in charge have their thumbs on the scale (and shares in the game). This is top down "progression" and is doomed to fail in its current form. So enter the engineered attempt at ground up need. Also doomed to fail.

Electric is the future. But it's not ready yet. It will be adopted when it is better than ICE, and it's nowhere near that yet.
Old 30 September 2022, 10:34 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If I am evacuating a hurricane I am def not taking the Tesla. I think most who own an EV have a gasser as well. These are well off people by and large no?
Old 30 September 2022, 10:48 AM   #12
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If I am evacuating a hurricane I am def not taking the Tesla. I think most who own an EV have a gasser as well. These are well off people by and large no?
Can't afford gas? "Go buy a tesla"

If only there was a similar moment in history.....

They can't afford bread? "Let them eat cake" That ended well.

Those who dont know history are doomed to repeat it
Old 30 September 2022, 12:29 PM   #13
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
Not exactly, said ICE vehicle could refuel quicker and would have the potential for more options to acquire fuel.
I looked hard at EVs but the infrastructure and technology just isn't there yet.
A lot of presumption in an emergency situation, which is what we're talking about here. I'd say it was a game day decision, and if you have gas in hand and can take it with you.....certainly ICE.
Old 30 September 2022, 01:34 PM   #14
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
It's a shame too. Camry hybrid is half the cost of a Tesla (affordable for most) and gets 50 mpg.

But hey, Cali banned new gas vehicles by 2035, and then promptly told folks not to charge their EV due to power restrictions, LMAO. It's a clown world.
Old 30 September 2022, 01:38 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Can't afford gas? "Go buy a tesla"

If only there was a similar moment in history.....

They can't afford bread? "Let them eat cake" That ended well.

Those who dont know history are doomed to repeat it

Seems like you’re connecting dots as you see fit. Carry on lol

I don’t own an EV for the record. I have two hybrids.
Old 30 September 2022, 02:05 PM   #16
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I still think the best compromise is diesel but for some reason we just don't have many diesel options in the USA.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
Old 30 September 2022, 04:45 PM   #17
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
A lot of presumption in an emergency situation, which is what we're talking about here. I'd say it was a game day decision, and if you have gas in hand and can take it with you.....certainly ICE.
Let's not let presumption cloud logic.
Old 30 September 2022, 05:12 PM   #18
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
when I was at school, one of the first lessons about how to check the credibility of information was, if they are informational or are spreading opinion.

„the (impractical) dream dream of greenies“

shows, that the latter is the case
Old 30 September 2022, 07:25 PM   #19
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
when I was at school, one of the first lessons about how to check the credibility of information was, if they are informational or are spreading opinion.

„the (impractical) dream dream of greenies“

shows, that the latter is the case
California is banning gas-only cars by 2035. Now, think we Californians are a weird bunch? I won’t argue. How about this,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-..._fuel_vehicles

Japan, Singapore, Denmark, Norway, Germany, and about a dozen other countries have similar bans upcoming. So literally thousands of scientists, engineers, economists etc. Believe strongly enough that EVs are less harmful to the environment then ICE to be implementing full bans. Of course, YOU are much smarter then all those people.

It won’t happen for years, and as a lot of people pointed out, there are tons of problems and maybe it is being forced on the public before acceptance or the technology is fully developed, but it’s the future. Use name calling all you want, (A Greeny, someone that does something they feel is benefiting the environment, how terrible), and bury your head in the sand, but it is the future; get over it. So drive your diesel while you can, I’ll have my EV by the end of the year, and post a thread here with lots of pics. You can congratulate me then
Old 30 September 2022, 07:28 PM   #20
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Quote:
Not a fair comparison. ICE vehicles were developed through a natural technological progression. It was ground up. They were adopted because they were better than horses.

Electric vehicles are being forced on an only partially recptive population. Those in charge have their thumbs on the scale (and shares in the game). This is top down "progression" and is doomed to fail in its current form. So enter the engineered attempt at ground up need. Also doomed to fail.

Electric is the future. But it's not ready yet. It will be adopted when it is better than ICE, and it's nowhere near that yet.

Both very well stated, and for the most part I agree. I’ll still get one though, can’t wait!
Old 30 September 2022, 08:24 PM   #21
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
In the mid 90's I was given a mobile (cell) phone to use in the desert in The Oman, It was huge, the battery was about the size of a square bucket and weighed as much as if it was filled with concrete, the charge lasted about an hour, the spare battery was carried in a back pack by someone else, (phone and spare battery was just too heavy for 1 to carry).

My point? 25 years later, I can carry the same battery between my thumb and forefinger and do it all day, it will last a day or two.

That is how car batteries will evolve, maybe not that small but, small enough to be the size of a brick that one takes in the house overnight, charges up and slots into the car the next morning. One will have a spare one in the boot (trunk) and they will double or treble the mileage available now.

Charging areas will just be for emergency, in day to day usage, they won't be needed.

If I had the chance, I would get one now, unfortunately, the builders of my small cottage, 300 years ago, didn't have the forethought to build a garage, or even a drive for that matter, so I park my car about 50 meters away on a lane that is surrounded by fields so no place to "plug it in."

The technology is not there yet, but, in 10 or 15 years time, we will be closer to what I describe above than we are to petrol or diesel. Just look how far we have come in the last 5 years.

Paul. Is my seat ready? I can't wait.

DAVE

Old 30 September 2022, 09:06 PM   #22
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I’m with you on taking a gas or diesel powered vehicle in an emergency. I’m holding out as long as I have to for an EV. At least until 2035 I see some benefits. If your commute was 30 minutes or less. That’s about it for me now. I worked with a guy who has one. He said he couldn’t make a 400 mile round trip without stopping to charge. It’s a lot longer than filling up a tank of gas. Some in this thread have made it unreadable with their comments and opinions. It doesn’t surprise me. Have a good one neighbor
Old 30 September 2022, 10:21 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
It's a shame too. Camry hybrid is half the cost of a Tesla (affordable for most) and gets 50 mpg.

But hey, Cali banned new gas vehicles by 2035, and then promptly told folks not to charge their EV due to power restrictions, LMAO. It's a clown world.
Exactly where I land on this

As an hybrid owner, it’s the best of both worlds for the moment and a good compromise.
Old 30 September 2022, 10:27 PM   #24
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Until EV's get further along hybrids are the real solution. IMO we're still a couple decades away from effectively and efficiently going full EV. Batteries need to improve, costs need to come down, infrastructure needs to be developed, and we need to learn more about the environmental impact of the battery life cycle.
Old 30 September 2022, 11:16 PM   #25
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
California is banning gas-only cars by 2035. Now, think we Californians are a weird bunch? I won’t argue. How about this,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-..._fuel_vehicles

Japan, Singapore, Denmark, Norway, Germany, and about a dozen other countries have similar bans upcoming. So literally thousands of scientists, engineers, economists etc. Believe strongly enough that EVs are less harmful to the environment then ICE to be implementing full bans. Of course, YOU are much smarter then all those people.

It won’t happen for years, and as a lot of people pointed out, there are tons of problems and maybe it is being forced on the public before acceptance or the technology is fully developed, but it’s the future. Use name calling all you want, (A Greeny, someone that does something they feel is benefiting the environment, how terrible), and bury your head in the sand, but it is the future; get over it. So drive your diesel while you can, I’ll have my EV by the end of the year, and post a thread here with lots of pics. You can congratulate me then
I don‘t disagree with you, Paul.
My point was, that the information about potential issues when evacuating with EVs can be problematic - and that‘s a fair point - has been overshadowed by that ridiculous namecalling.

I‘d ague that the problems to finding an EV charger may be similar to find a fuel pump when hundreds of thousands are evacuating last minute using the same highway.
Both energy platforms will have to line up for a long time to recharge/fuel
I have an EV and a Hybrid. I‘d evacuate with the Hybrid if I had to today
Old 30 September 2022, 11:40 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Until EV's get further along hybrids are the real solution. IMO we're still a couple decades away from effectively and efficiently going full EV. Batteries need to improve, costs need to come down, infrastructure needs to be developed, and we need to learn more about the environmental impact of the battery life cycle.
I agree with you as well.

Lots more work needs to be done on the subject to understand it’s true environmental impact.
Old 1 October 2022, 12:07 AM   #27
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems like you’re connecting dots as you see fit. Carry on lol

I don’t own an EV for the record. I have two hybrids.
That wasn't meant a dig at you, just a general observation.

When politicians are so tone deaf that they suggest those struggling to pay for gas should spend 60k on an electric car instead, its clear they have lost touch with the struggles of the average person.

I'm not suggesting this will lead to a bloody revolution (as it did in the past) but rather the modern revolution, i.e. vote them out.
Old 1 October 2022, 01:52 AM   #28
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:

I think we are saying the exact same thing. My point is that car companies have to shift their resources to EV development because of govt mandates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post

Trust me, I know. We seriously looked at EVs but there were too many cons to justify buying one at this time. We have a deposit on a confirmed build for a Camry Hybrid, our 3rd Toyota hybrid we will have owned and the previous with 200k miles each. We also have a deposit for a future Silverado EV truck which is 2-3 years down the road.

Quote:
When politicians are so tone deaf that they suggest those struggling to pay for gas should spend 60k on an electric car instead, its clear they have lost touch with the struggles of the average person.
Agree. Mandating the elimination of something before the alternative is viable to the masses is insane but par for the course for today's policy makers. Sec. of Transportation Pete Buttigieg earlier in the year told people to go out and buy $60k EVs to combat high gas prices. That doesn't resonate with the family of 4 that is sharing a 15 year old Honda Accord to get to school and work.
Old 1 October 2022, 02:01 AM   #29
Star Ferry
Banned

I do agree it’s a shame there’s such a rush to kill hybrids and go full electric. Hybrids were better for the environment but also reliable. At least a handful of EV-only owners probably lost their lives this week due to lack of juice.
Old 1 October 2022, 02:32 AM   #30
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
That wasn't meant a dig at you, just a general observation.

I'm not suggesting this will lead to a bloody revolution (as it did in the past) but rather the modern revolution, i.e. vote them out.
No politics.