The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 October 2022, 01:48 AM   #1
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Exotic car owners

How is it owning an exotic car? Of all the items on the planet, it seems like an exotic car driving down the road demands more attention than any house, watch, clothes, etc. Does the attention detract from the experience of owning a great performance car, do you enjoy it, or do you merely live with it?

I ask because I've always appreciated performance cars, but admittedly know very little about them and the experience of owning one. Curious to know experiences here, the good bad and ugly.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 02:37 AM   #2
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
How is it owning an exotic car? Of all the items on the planet, it seems like an exotic car driving down the road demands more attention than any house, watch, clothes, etc. Does the attention detract from the experience of owning a great performance car, do you enjoy it, or do you merely live with it?

I ask because I've always appreciated performance cars, but admittedly know very little about them and the experience of owning one. Curious to know experiences here, the good bad and ugly.
I had a Huracan when they first came out. Not the most exotic car ever but still. Sold it very shortly thereafter. You are right, the attention getting and the maintenance issue (I live 3 hours from a dealer) made me sell it. I got a little tired of the constant comments and stares. The clincher was the guy hanging out of a Camry filming me on the interstate. I was living in an area known for it's lack of display of wealth so that was a factor too. I love exotic cars, just don't enjoy owning one.

Another factor is comfort. I'm not young anymore. These days I am all Lexus.
HHIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 02:58 AM   #3
Mifune
Banned

Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 03:48 AM   #4
TexEd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I enjoy high performance sports cars. I've owned many and currently own a Nissan GTR. A very fast, high hp, and high accelerating car. I've had numerous occasions with folks taking photo's of my car while driving down the road, or giving me the high sign. I've had many comments while at the car wash or gas station. One never sees these cars on the road. I enjoy the exclusivity, as well as, the power and styling. Just my .02
TexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 03:56 AM   #5
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
I guess "exotic" refers to Italian cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini and perhaps an older classic Jaguar or Rolls Royce/Bentley?

Old air cooled Porsche isn't probably what you meant as "exotic" but when well maintained and serviced they're way more reliable than new cars. They're mostly hand built very simple cars and the quality shows.

Drove about 5000 miles this summer. The maintenance is here:

Oil change (about 400 euros)
DME relay (120 euros). The car developed strange jerkiness which was a result of oxidization of the relay metal plugs... the ones that connect to the fuse box (developed there during the winter storage).
Gasoline

The car has about 90K miles and 28 years under its belt and it works like brand new. The interior is like brand new. I'm not kidding.

In the second hand market Ferrari 348 and 456 are about the same price and I actually considered them both but ended up with the air cooled Porsche. I think I made a good choice. If you consider a sports car invest some extra money and buy a good example right away. Saves you money and nerves in the long run.

No experience of Ferrari ownership and I'm sure there are reliable Ferraris too. But based on the friends' experiences I haven't seen one yet.

It's been a great summer and my only regret is that I didn't buy the car sooner. Life is short.

Old 1 October 2022, 04:02 AM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I much prefer my 911 over any exotics because of a few reasons.

But, that too gets a lot of attention.

Nothing I have driven gets nearly the attention of the Aventador. I don’t mind it, but I don’t like it either. It’s truly crazy at how much it draws.

My other exotics did so as well, but not as much. And I actually got rid of my Huracan because it was overwhelming and annoying. I’m more used to it now.

But I sold my Urus for a Cayanne Turbo GT, arguably a better car anyway, because I didn’t like driving a lambo as a daily.

It can be fun at times. It can also be annoying.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 04:05 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Exotic car owners

The downfalls are why you can’t go wrong with a silver 911. 90% of the joy and 10% of the baggage.
Old 1 October 2022, 04:12 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
They’re nice but you need a net worth 10x the value of the car to enjoy it like a daily driver. Or else it’s like owning a grenade with no pin and every chip and tire feels like a second mortgage. No fun at all.

How do I know? I owned one before my first $B. Just to say I owned one briefly and knock it off the list. Then I found Rolexeseses.

Like Cramer says, “Today ultra exclusive watches are the new exotic cars. Easier to wash. Transfer. Pawn. Hide and Sell. Borrow the car. Buy the watch.”
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 04:47 AM   #9
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
I have a 1989 Ferrari 328GTS. So not fast by todays standards, but it's been in my family since new. I like Porsches and have a 981 Cayman S, and its a great car, and much easier to use as a daily driver (as are most modern cars)

I've driven a variety of Porsches 911 Carrera 3.2, 964,944 Turbo S, 944S2 Cabriolet, 930 Turbo, 997, 991, 991S etc. My 328 drives a bit like an 80's 911 Carrera 3.2. Analog car, largely hand made, with a few compromises. Its very compact compared to modern cars sports cars, no power steering, heavy clutch, but in some ways it's easier to drive, better more precise shifter than the 915 gearbox that 911s had until 1987. It also has less of an issue with oversteer, and better AC than in a 70s or 80s 911, but the 911 has better rear and 3/4 rear visibility. Neither would be my first choice for a daily driver as they do take some effort to drive, but they are a blast to drive on winding back roads. I love the size of my 328 or older air cooled 911s. Modern cars have gotten too large and bloated.

I'm lucky that there is a great independent shop about 15 minutes from my office. Annual service (when I don't need belts replaced, or a major service) is about $1,000. A annual service with belts is about $2,700 (I do that every three years). Then a major at 5-6 year well that's a lot more, but unlike some cars the engine doesn't have to be removed to do a major service or change belts. Service for my car was probably similar over the course of 5 to 6 years as a friend was spending to own a Porsche 928GT. I spent less some years but a lot more other years...he was spending $2-3K every year.

Knock on wood and luckily for me Ferraris such as the 328s, 430s, and 550s are fairly bullet proof. Other models, especially the F355 seem to have a variety of issues and are very costly to own.

I do get people that want to video or photograph the car, and as long as they are nice and respectful or not hanging in my blind spot while I'm driving, I don't mind. I think people tend to be friendly to owners of vintage cars. They wave, give you a thumbs up, and feel they are very approachable. Sometimes people at gas stations will ask me questions about the car, or share a story or memory they have about an old exotic or a vintage car they used to own, which is always fun.

If you are shy, an exotic might not be the right choice. A friend has a yellow Ferrari 430 and his wife hates all the attention that it gets. It makes her very embarrassed and uncomfortable. Also some people are ok with driving their exotic anywhere, and parking it anywhere. I have one friend who is so nervous about driving or parking his exotic anyplace, that it seems like he only drives it once a year. If you are that nervous about driving or parking it, its probably going to drive you crazy and it probably isn't the right car for that person.
Dino944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 04:54 AM   #10
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
I think people tend to be friendly to owners of vintage cars. They wave, give you a thumbs up, and feel they are very approachable.
That is very true. I never had any positive response from people when I've driven new Porsches. But when you drive an air cooled classic a LOT of people seem to love the car and give thumbs up etc.

Maybe people don't consider then "rich guys' cars" but more like "car guy's cars".
Old 1 October 2022, 05:16 AM   #11
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
That is very true. I never had any positive response from people when I've driven new Porsches. But when you drive an air cooled classic a LOT of people seem to love the car and give thumbs up etc.

Maybe people don't consider then "rich guys' cars" but more like "car guy's cars".
Agreed! I think they view vintage car people as "Car guys," and not some "Fancy rich guys," who they might not have anything in common with. Car guys love all types of cars, chatting cars, and sharing the experiences with other people. Vintage cars make people smile.

I help organize a local Sunday morning cars and coffee meet. Young kids like the newest, fastest cars, but the cars that generally inspire the best conversations and help spark great friendships are those surrounding vintage cars such as air cooled 911s and other sports cars from the 90s & older.
Dino944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 05:52 AM   #12
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
IMO owning a youngtimer/vintage car is a lifestyle. Even if the vehicle is worth a lot, these cars aren't about the money but about enthusiasm.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 06:09 AM   #13
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Was really hoping this thread was about exotic car owners, not owners of exotic cars.
Old 1 October 2022, 08:42 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Was really hoping this thread was about exotic car owners, not owners of exotic cars.
The main Rolex forum posts between Jan 2018- Feb 2022 is pretty much the same.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 11:03 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Wow. No kidding.

I have had dozens if not hundred of positive experiences driving a modern 911. Always got a lot of positive attention in the turbo S. Now that I put a stealth ppf on it, it’s non stop thumbs up and comments.

Then again, most experiences I have with my cars are positive. They just get annoying when you simply want to drive, or get gas, or stop at the market etc. sometimes you just want to be left alone. But it comes with the territory. Pros and cons I suppose.

I love air cooled 911’s. Want one someday for sure.

But imo, from my own experience, I tend to find modern day 911 owners true driving enthusiasts. Car lovers to be sure, but people that care more about being in the car, rather than standing next to it.

YMMV

Old 1 October 2022, 03:01 PM   #16
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry, should’ve noted this was an ask of car owners.
Old 1 October 2022, 03:10 PM   #17
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Had plenty mainly older Maserati's and Lamborghini's, still have a few and I never drive them to be honest, hate the attention, uncomfortable can't really leave them anywhere, don't insure them.

I keep them for sentimental reasons and investments.

I ride my Kona MB mostly. Love it.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 02:17 AM   #18
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You mean, something, like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5ed706ceaf34bc1805866813d8929b23-430924964.jpeg (222.1 KB, 305 views)
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 02:22 AM   #19
Greenp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My problem is that the guy with the modern 911 is often times driving in the left lane going the speed limit holding up traffic.
Greenp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 02:24 AM   #20
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Wow. No kidding.

I have had dozens if not hundred of positive experiences driving a modern 911. Always got a lot of positive attention in the turbo S. Now that I put a stealth ppf on it, it’s non stop thumbs up and comments.

Then again, most experiences I have with my cars are positive. They just get annoying when you simply want to drive, or get gas, or stop at the market etc. sometimes you just want to be left alone. But it comes with the territory. Pros and cons I suppose.

I love air cooled 911’s. Want one someday for sure.

But imo, from my own experience, I tend to find modern day 911 owners true driving enthusiasts. Car lovers to be sure, but people that care more about being in the car, rather than standing next to it.

YMMV
Probably because you need to be a true enthusiast to own a 992 Turbo S/GT3 being that they are priced in Huracan territory. Nobody would buy it for the “flex” but because they are excellent performance, do-all, vehicles. Makes sense to me!
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 02:45 AM   #21
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I guess "exotic" refers to Italian cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini and perhaps an older classic Jaguar or Rolls Royce/Bentley?

Old air cooled Porsche isn't probably what you meant as "exotic" but when well maintained and serviced they're way more reliable than new cars. They're mostly hand built very simple cars and the quality shows.

Drove about 5000 miles this summer. The maintenance is here:

Oil change (about 400 euros)
DME relay (120 euros). The car developed strange jerkiness which was a result of oxidization of the relay metal plugs... the ones that connect to the fuse box (developed there during the winter storage).
Gasoline

The car has about 90K miles and 28 years under its belt and it works like brand new. The interior is like brand new. I'm not kidding.

In the second hand market Ferrari 348 and 456 are about the same price and I actually considered them both but ended up with the air cooled Porsche. I think I made a good choice. If you consider a sports car invest some extra money and buy a good example right away. Saves you money and nerves in the long run.

No experience of Ferrari ownership and I'm sure there are reliable Ferraris too. But based on the friends' experiences I haven't seen one yet.

It's been a great summer and my only regret is that I didn't buy the car sooner. Life is short.

Man, that is a beautiful machine!

Sorry, still not privy to car nomenclature. By exotic I merely meant something objectively noticeable on the road.

I was honestly just curious to know experiences here, as so many seemingly have such a passion for automotive and it's a great place to learn. I've often battled with the idea of getting something 'fun' for the weekends, purely out of an enjoyment for driving. Certainly doesn't fit the bill here, but I once owned a VW GTI and got such a kick out of driving it. It was light, nimble, responsive, and 'cheap' enough to be just another car on the road. It is/was my gateway to a truly fun driving experience. I later jumped up the price category and tried BMW, tried Audi, and it just wasn't the same. Not sure why.

I'm looking at the next five years, and seriously considering something more geared toward performance. What keeps me away, and what my confirmation bias perhaps figured, is how much attention many quality performance vehicles attract.

Very much appreciate all the comments!
Old 2 October 2022, 05:30 AM   #22
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
You mean, something, like this?
That'll work
Old 2 October 2022, 06:22 AM   #23
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
They’re nice but you need a net worth 10x the value of the car to enjoy it like a daily driver. Or else it’s like owning a grenade with no pin and every chip and tire feels like a second mortgage. No fun at all.

How do I know? I owned one before my first $B. Just to say I owned one briefly and knock it off the list. Then I found Rolexeseses.

Like Cramer says, “Today ultra exclusive watches are the new exotic cars. Easier to wash. Transfer. Pawn. Hide and Sell. Borrow the car. Buy the watch.”
Chewy, that May be the best descriptive comparisons I have ever heard
Old 2 October 2022, 10:30 PM   #24
Dyim
"TRF" Member

It doesn’t have to be an expensive car to get attention.

I don’t have an exotic. I have an orange Miata that gets as much look on the street as the silver Porsche with a red roof and interior.

I went away with my wife for a road trip with the 718 top down. My wife said there were lots of looks. I didn’t pay too much attention to it. I was just concentrating on the driving. I think all the looks made her self conscious a bit. Didn’t bother me at all.

I usually just mind my own business and my wife says I have that unapproachable ‘look’ on my face.

I think that cuts down a lot of unsolicited comments. Still gets them though at gas stations.

You get used to people looking, pulling up beside you to check things out. Part and parcel of driving a car that stands out.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 10:39 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Old air cooled Porsche

If I didn’t have two kids headed to university in the next year … I’d be on board with this
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 11:05 PM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Does the attention detract from the experience of owning a great performance car, do you enjoy it, or do you merely live with it?
Problems I had were mainly kids doing utterly stupid things on public roadways. Also don't miss not having an exotic since am no longer tracking cars (and what's the point of capable so-called exotic cars if you're not truly using their capabilities?).

But I can understand for some, like auto-tune dependant voice-over rappers, they need the 'costume' car that goes with their created persona.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 12:25 AM   #27
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Problems I had were mainly kids doing utterly stupid things on public roadways. Also don't miss not having an exotic since am no longer tracking cars (and what's the point of capable so-called exotic cars if you're not truly using their capabilities?).

But I can understand for some, like auto-tune dependant voice-over rappers, they need the 'costume' car that goes with their created persona.
Those guys rent cars from guys like me. True story. K get a request at least once a week.

Never did it though. Never will. Although I know plenty of folks that do.

Old 3 October 2022, 12:38 AM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

To be fair, renting for them makes sense as it's a business expense to show up at an event. Also good PR for the car brand. Music video product placement is very big business, just ask Jimmy and Will.I.Am.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 3 October 2022, 01:08 AM   #29
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
To be fair, renting for them makes sense as it's a business expense to show up at an event. Also good PR for the car brand. Music video product placement is very big business, just ask Jimmy and Will.I.Am.
Just adds to the IG lifestyle.

I don’t disagree as to why they do it.

But it’s not much different from the average rube renting a fake plane for an hour to get his shots for the gram. Or the guy sitting on the hood of his car, acting as if it’s own.

To your other point about tracking exotic cars, imo, they are the least sensible to track.

A nice Porsche? Okay, I get that. But most exotics today aren’t actually meant to be track cars. And most manufacturers won’t honor a warranty if they can prove it was tracked. I know this first hand.

If I ever get into tracking again, I’ll buy a mini or a Miata or maybe a relatively inexpensive 911. And it will be a dedicated track car. Imho, it’s silly to take your 300k + exotic onto a track to get destroyed.

Now, for those with truly a ton of money, an exotic car that is modified for the track sounds nice. Sadly that’ll never be me. Replacement parts alone are a small fortune. Track day insurance? Yikes. And you know what they say…if you are thinking about the little things like that, you can’t actually afford it. I fit into that category. I cannot.

Anyway, the pleasure I get from some sportier daily driving in safe conditions is worth the price of admission. For me anyway. YMMV.

Old 3 October 2022, 01:17 AM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Excellent points, plus tracking a pricey street-legal car is a compromise. Get a proper track car is smart for many reasons. The track-prepped Miata is a great choice for soooooo many reasons, good call